Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Totalbiscuit's Last WoW Video

It's been a year since he passed away, and I wanted to go back and re-watch his last WoW video. Turns out he was pretty right on what direction they were heading at this time.

On Dungeons:

• Blizzard started nerfing things at the end of Wrath to make the game more accessible. Most dungeons were just AOE fests between the nerfs and gear inflation from all of the difficulty tiers.
    • They started Cataclysm out great for most players who were used to the "harder" stuff. And let's be clear, it wasn't hard. It was just making sure you weren't brain dead and going to AOE spamming dungeon packs. You had to use your CCs tactically and communicate with the group. Wrath with LFD and accessibility changed the whole dynamic of what a dungeon was.
    • It's possible some on the WoW team saw making the game faceroll was a mistake, and the lead WoW designer at the time Ghostcrawler came out with a blog post about the Cata dungeons like "yeah they are hard" you can't just walk in and spam stuff and ignore game mechanics.
    • But the playerbase was essentially trained during Wrath to want easy dungeon gameplay, hence hte origin of "Wrath baby". And WoW started losing subscribers.
    • Blizzard makes a 180, nerfs the fuck out of everything, and makes dungeon gameplay shallow.

On Raiding:

• I think most players would say TBC was the golden age of raiding. What was the main difference between then and now? There was one version of a raid. You either did it or you didn't.
    • No massive gear item level inflation because there wasn't 4 versions of every raid.
    • The addition of upgraded badge vendors allowed even the most casual players just doing weekly Karazhan runs to fill a few slots with high end gear. But you couldn't fill every slot.
    • Black Temple was Black Temple. Karazhan was Karazhan. Progression was more interesting becuase it wasn't Karazhan difficulty 1 > Karazhan difficulty 2 > Karazhan difficulty 3. It was Karazhan > maybe TK void reaver > SSC / TK / ZA > BT > Sunwell.

So what are all of your thoughts on this video or on TB's views of WoW in general?

I would say WoD had the best raids, that or Legion.

Dammit, now I'm sad again..
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

He was as flawed as anyone of us, but he entertained and inspired a lot of people. I remember back in Cata I always couldn't wait for the new episode of Azeroth Daily.

The WoW devs embarrassed themselves greatly when they didn't acknowledge his contributions to the WoW community last year after his passing. These idiot cucks..

RIP TB, might you find peace in heaven.

I can't bring myself to watch it because it will trigger some memories that should not be triggered.

7+ Year Old Account
    This will always be my favorite video of him:

A funny take on the WoW lore and a fun video for fans of TB and WoW altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I would say WoD had the best raids, that or Legion.
    I'd say someone laced your pot, try a new Dispensary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny because when that video came out I also quit WoW around that time too (didn't come back until the end of MoP). I think that nerfing of dungeons really was when the WoW dip started to happen.

If you can pin point WoW's decline, I would say straight away it was from when they nerfed the cata dungeons and raids.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    I still remember being quite please while watching his Cata beta footage and his commentary on how the 5 man content was hard(er) again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    inb4 edgelord post shitting on totalbiscuit.
    And here I thought you'd be the one to do so.

I missed his WTF is series. He will be missed for a long time to come.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can’t say I agree with him, he thought people would rise up and get better if content was harder but that’s just not how it works. The people who want to improve do and the ones that don’t won’t. So the question comes down to rather it’s worth making content for the minority when most players don’t want to improve. Blizzard found it not worth it which is why they made lfr.

The troll that started the “I want my heroics, heroic!”. Naw not missing that, didn’t want them gone though, that’s never good. Well he got it now with the M+ train that is in now..

RIP TB. He was a great contributor to the gaming scene, especially in his final few years. I never thought his takes on WoW were particularly salient back when he was playing, though. He often seemed to hold the perspective that WoW being harder and less granular in its difficulty was what made it good, which has always been a very narrow view from a relatively niche part of the playerbase. It didn't help that Cataclysm was a confused time for the devs regarding how they wanted to handle difficulty modes. I think later on TB very much moved away from this mindset when he started enjoying more casual games and playing a broader variety of stuff for his channel, but by that point he'd long since parted ways with MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    inb4 edgelord post shitting on totalbiscuit.
    personally i found it rather funny in the ironic sense that both he and amy winehouse have something very much in common, she wrote and performed a song about people trying to make her go back to rehab and yet died of a drug overdose, he blasted someone on twitter telling to get cancer and die and karma gave him an ass full.

on a lighter note i did enjoy some of the cata beta stuff, seeing someone who was never really close to the top end of the game at the time thinking they could comment on it was a good laugh, some of his satirical pieces were pretty good too, and his overall presence on the youtube platform when it was in its infancy was well noted and the numerous game reviews provided were helpful to many that might look into those games as a way to get some (for the most part) impartial advice about the quality of the product at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    If you can pin point WoW's decline, I would say straight away it was from when they nerfed the cata dungeons and raids.
    Pretty much, yeah. It just got progressively worse after that point.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

really liked TB. He certainly is missed and his words were prophetic when it comes to wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Tb was honestly the first you tuber I ever watched on a regular basis and was the only reviewer I felt like had similar tastes to me and trusted his reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    personally i found it rather funny in the ironic sense that both he and amy winehouse have something very much in common, she wrote and performed a song about people trying to make her go back to rehab and yet died of a drug overdose, he blasted someone on twitter telling to get cancer and die and karma gave him an ass full.

i dont see how its funny, and these arent nearly comparable things. You dont choose to get cancer, it's not something you can easily avoid. Most people here including yourself have told someone they disliked, or as a joke to get cancer, as a figure of speech. Do we all now deserve to get cancer and it would be funny? Yeah, get bent, or get cancer.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    It's only been a year? Crazy. He's the reason I don't know That Retarded Horse's actual name. Always called it TRH and always will.

I disagreed with some of his assessments of WoW but mostly about how he was saying it, overall he was right. I'm glad he stopped playing WoW, he clearly wasn't enjoying it and constantly ranting about it was making him toxic. Not necessarily in the usual way, but being angry about something and having that be your job/hobby doesn't lead to a happy lifestyle. After he stopped WoW, his reviews were great and always fair and that's the content I liked from him, specially the WTF is... series bringing to light unappreciated gems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, because someone like him deserves to have it brought up when he's discussed. He was a good person, one of the few principled people we had left in the industry and also one of the few fair game reviewers out there. He inspired me to look at things objectively even if they were in hard contrast to my own personal biases. His death was a real loss for everyone passionate about the medium.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn