Poll: Adventurer or big champion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    champion. it'd be idiotic to go back to being a nobody. it's bad enough that i had to go back to being a faction loser.

idk what kind of cuck wants to be a nobody. i want to be in charge of motherfuckers, i want to be the order hall leader again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'd rather be an adventurer. Adventurer doesn't have to imply nameless nobody. You can be a wandering hero and still be a major character in the storyline.

Certainly would read better than me being this modern major general next in line to lead my faction.
    My understanding is that the Champion is just that, a renowned hero that isn't officially part of the army. Rexxar is the perfect prototype for this. He's officially a Champion of the Horde, but he spends most of his time doing his own thing. Yet he's nevertheless a fairly important figure.

We can't really pretend we're nameless nobodies anymore when we can just walk into Grommash Hold/Stormwind Keep, not even bothering to shake the dust off our boots, and be sent by the Warchief/High King into a mission of critical importance that we were hand-picked for.

5+ Year Old Account
    I like a balance between both.

I think a clearer definition of champion vs adventurer needs to be established.

edit:

imo it seems less an issue of 'chmpion' and more the fact that we wind up being 'faction/order/world/universe' champions forging the path of the plot.

Being a champion is fine and dandy much like adventuring is as well... but the issues come when we try and analyze the scale of our actions in reference to other events. Like it gets old when every leveling zone seems to throw world ending level threats at you because that's the story being told...
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2019-08-15 at 10:07 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like a balance, but I tend towards the Adventurer.

But the WoW's main character can't be a simple no-one forever - I mean, there are folks saying that we should fight the Void Lords next. Punch god in the face and all that. Then get the loot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think a clearer definition of champion vs adventurer needs to be established.

Adventurer: Wandering hero helping out where able, if needed helping to destroy <bad>.

Champion: Revered Commander/General/Champion semi-leading the campaign against <big bad>.

I’d prefer having only small roles for our characters who don’t appear in lore other than just experienced soldiers. Legion went way overboard making everyone feel like they are some savior of the universe where they are the only ones capable of defeating the big bads. When everyone is special, no one is special. WotLK did a good balance of making us feel like adventurers once arriving in Northrend, then prove ourselves in the tournament where Tirion now looks at us as champions, and having us lead the assault in ICC. At least it felt like there was some proper built up.

10+ Year Old Account
    you cant expect your character to be anything less than a main story character, a hero, a champion, a savior.. when we have played such vital parts is saving the existence of the planet so many times over. as our character's story progresses, so too must the notoriety of our characters. you simply cant have all the accomplishments that we have and still be called peon.. or adventurer. and the game without a meaningful progressive story, is a boring game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Random nobody soldier that somehow still ends up always killing the big bad evil guys or is just there to kill time until the cutscene for the lore character triggers...

yeah great story telling im sure. Unless you guys literally want the story to revolve around going around and killing a couple bears once a month and otherwise just fudging about your day in a bar, you muppets have no clue what you actually ask for. Even in a DnD campaign you either die and start over or you eventually reach a point where you are no longer the little adventurer. You guys might wanna try medival festival role play, because fantasy ain't for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadDest View Post
    I played Warcraft 3. Non-named characters were just soldiers. That's the way it should be for us. Non-named adventurers. Otherwise WoW starts to orbit US instead of our characters immersed in IT.
    Well luckily my character has a name and is not a random Footman.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2019-08-15 at 10:21 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Adventurer: Wandering hero helping out where able, if needed helping to destroy <bad>.

Champion: Revered Commander/General/Champion semi-leading the campaign against <big bad>.
    That's a nonsense definiton. Your definition literally includes you being a hero for the adventurer part, that by definition makes you more than an adventurer and puts you on the same level as the champion title you chose for the other option, not to mention every other NPC (magni, bran, some of the faction leaders) flat out call us heroes as well. The hero is the guy you send ahead of everyone else because he is the hero, a center piece in your story and power structure, especially in the context of large scale conflicts the hero is the champion.

What you really wanted to ask here is if we want less grandiose story lines, but that ship already sailed.

but how is a champion not an adventurer and how does your adventurer not simply turn out to be a champion?

your tags on champion don't seem to be referring to the term champion but the capacity on the scale of events. 'revered' camander, 'general' and emphasis on their position leading a campaign.

7+ Year Old Account
    champion system is fucking awful when we have no fucking power or choice at all

we have to eat other people order & commands and roll with obnoxious characters all the time. thats why i can't see this champion bullshit working in wow

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    WotLK did a good balance of making us feel like adventurers once arriving in Northrend, then prove ourselves in the tournament where Tirion now looks at us as champions, and having us lead the assault in ICC. At least it felt like there was some proper built up.
    And since then almost a decade has passed and we've overcame larger and larger hurdles. It's not like we just went up to argus and slapped a mangled titan's soul while fresh out of the shire, we had a 14 year long build up for that shit. A powercreep is to be expected, only way to change that is to einter a) start over with a new game and story or b) crush the player character with an actual story that revolved around us and gives a suitable explanation. It's not impossible, though I very much doubt alot of people would be thrilled to go back to collecting bear arses inside of raids as well as outside of them..

You think that’s bad? Try to be a villain. I rolled zombie warlock to be an evil character and somehow Blizz tried turning me into the hero of Azeroth when I’d rather legit be gul’dan than thrall

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

edit:

imo it seems less an issue of 'chmpion' and more the fact that we wind up being 'faction/order/world/universe' champions forging the path of the plot.

Being a champion is fine and dandy much like adventuring is as well... but the issues come when we try and analyze the scale of our actions in reference to other events. Like it gets old when every leveling zone seems to throw world ending level threats at you because that's the story being told...
    This this this this THIS
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Champion of Azeroth!!

Nah, something like Hand of A'dal is fine. Like, a hero whos around, not taking orders, but get asked to do something for the average citizen, or the King/Dark Lady.

Being a champion, a hero, wouldn't so bad if we weren't constantly portrayed as the hero. The one and only mighty saviour of world universe... Saving the day is fine once in a while is fine, but i'm tired of this never-ending cheap hero fantasy.

It also wouldn't be so bad if you weren't immediately appointed the legendary mega-hero just for turning up...

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    You think that’s bad? Try to be a villain. I rolled zombie warlock to be an evil character and somehow Blizz tried turning me into the hero of Azeroth when I’d rather legit be gul’dan than thrall
    This is another issue. I just can't bring myself to play my human Warlock any more, it just makes no sense. All I can be is some goody two-shoes hero of the Alliance... whatever happened to poisoning nobles and draining souls?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2019-08-15 at 10:51 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be REALLY wierd if we suddenly was seen as adventures by the game after all the expansions. It makes sense that we are known by pretty much everybody by the fact of our accomplishments over the year and it would be wierd if we did not have a position in our own faction because of that.......But i think we have gone to far.

I dislike that we are pretty much the commander-in-chief of our entire faction. I miss badass faction characters, that we follow and which lead elements of our faction. Nathanos, Voss, Wyrmband and Shandris are alright, but far from cool characters. Can't we get a new saurfang? A new cool character/group of characters, that just oozes the theme of the faction and are yet very cool? And then have us just be good soldiers, that does cool things and goes where the stuff is bad?
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

What would you like more, multiple smaller stories where you are a normal adventurer or do you like one big story where you are a champion, like the last couple of expansions.
    I like both. The former in early stages of the game when you haven't yet done anything significant and established any connections, and the latter in later stages when you're ready to tackle more serious threats alongside important story characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I think it would be REALLY wierd if we suddenly was seen as adventures by the game after all the expansions.
    It could be done with a time skip. Put us in "stasis" for a decade or so and let the world change enough for us to lose any significance. This would let us start from scratch, but require another world revamp (which I'm all for tbh).
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2019-08-15 at 11:26 PM.