Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Elements of classic paladin class to be implemented in retail

I still got sub10 lvl paladin in classic but for those that have lvled more which elements u would like adopted in the retail version (please refrain from talking about wotlk and panda...)

I personally like the idea of the Seals coming back. But would want them more in line with the way they were post-vanilla. Still affecting rotations and requiring shuffling to max DPS, but with the longer duration.

Retrofit HP spenders (and HP itself) into charges of a given Seal you can swap between and accumulate before "unleashing". Justicar's Vengeance is literally just old Seal of Command so combine that with Seal of Justice's chance to stun on hit for PvP and single-target M+ DPS where you CAN stun. Seal of Crusader is effectively Inquisition, whilst Seal of Righteousness would replace Divine Storm and should refund charges if unleashed on a different target to your last unleash. Seal of Light is Word of Glory, add a self-heal on hit and put a talent to make it party-wide. Make Seal of Wisdom Holy-exclusive and require the HoPa to stay in melee to benefit from it. Having a Seal that provides raid utility at a cost of DPS isn't a bad shout.

Bring back the additional (utility) bonuses against Demons, Undead (and let's throw in Aberrations since that's what Void seem to be). Take or leave Hammer of Wrath (or any Execute).

Just broadly add more Support Utility to the Class that isn't just Oh Shi- buttons. And make us have to choose which one we want to use.

Also an occasional cast time, if suitably rewarding when correctly used, could be cool. One of the books had a really cool concept where Paladins basically knelt to say a prayer to their weapons and it infused them with massive power for a short time. Paladins have had hard-casting a few times in their early history. Gave them that hybrid-shockadin feel.
    Last edited by thesmall001; 2019-09-06 at 01:26 AM.

I wouldn't mind if Blessing (more than the two we have now and not just for ret) made a return; or Auras.

Oh, and Sense Undead.

Quote Originally Posted by SansCoeur View Post
    I personally like the idea of the Seals coming back. But would want them more in line with the way they were post-vanilla. Still affecting rotations and requiring shuffling to max DPS, but with the longer duration.
    I wish they'd bring those kinds of abilities back to all the classes. Paladin Auras/Seals, Hunter Aspects, Warrior Stances, Shaman Totems if you'd consider them the same.

Pally in Classic is really basic. The only mechanics to bring over would be seals and auras. Auras are still kinda around for Holy pally.
    Seals were removed in Legion since they did not fit with the class fantasy or something, but they were just an afterthought since at least Cata.

The old classic and BC style seals probably would not work in the modern setting as things in mythic plus die too quickly to get a crusader up and then start dealing damage with command. So they would have to be just passive buffs really, and at that point they lost all their flavor.

I could see auras coming back maybe, but they really don't need to. They are fine as healing tools and dont need to be much more than that.

Pally in classic was pretty boring overall so there isn't much to bring over to retail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    The additional bonuses against Demons, Undead (and let's throw in Aberrations since that's what Void seem to be). Retrofit HP spenders (and HP itself) into charges of a given Seal you can swap between and accumulate before "unleashing". Also an occasional cast time, if suitably rewarding when correctly used, could be cool. One of the books had a really cool concept where Paladins basically knelt to say a prayer to their weapons and it infused them with massive power for a short time.
    The Seraphim talent has an effect like that (there was also the ability that used to turn your weapon turn into the Ashbringer). More abilities with similar visual effects would be cool.

Seals and Auras need to return at a minimum.

Nothing at all. Vanilla Paladin was atrocious.

Why would you want seals back? It will just mean a nerf to the attacks we have and for it to go into passive damage. How can you people forget already?

Auras were useless. I would like auras if they were useful utility, but we know they can't be. Holy's mastery is kind of an aura and can be modified by talents.

So, as i say, it needs nothing from classic. Please try to reach in your memories why we reached this point. No nostalgia goggles pls.

I personally like the idea of paladins only being able to heal. Paladins have had it too good for too long. #BringBackVanillaClassDesign

10+ Year Old Account
    Divine Intervention
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Original Holy Shield back please

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn Undead/Evil

Exorcism to replace Blade of Justice and have 20yd range

Judgement to have its Wrath Animation of a hammer coming down instantly on the target, no bullshit hitscan calculations that fuck over my damage and tagging.

Divine intervention, seriously wtf was the purpose of removing this skill? every other class healer has some sort of wipe mechanic save.

Blessings to be properly redone and brought back

Seals being used in rotation with judgement as its actuator

Aura's need to be a thing again, even if its a temporary Cooldown skill that its utility only.

And MAYBE, depending on the setup, GTFO with the Holy Power system altogether.

Paladin as it stands is nothing but a glorified warrior with heals at the moment, none of its iconic powers or skills really show anywhere in retail save for past NPC's utilizing the old skillsets.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Pursuit of justice! NAO!
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Nothing at all. Vanilla Paladin was atrocious.

Why would you want seals back? It will just mean a nerf to the attacks we have and for it to go into passive damage. How can you people forget already?

Auras were useless. I would like auras if they were useful utility, but we know they can't be. Holy's mastery is kind of an aura and can be modified by talents.

So, as i say, it needs nothing from classic. Please try to reach in your memories why we reached this point. No nostalgia goggles pls.
    Because they were flavorful and brought life to the class that made each spec feel connected. Right now with pretty much every class you don't feel like for example a paladin that specialized in holy for healing. You feel specifically like a holy paladin as if you had no connection to the other paladins. As a hunter, I feel no real connection or class camaraderie between me as a beast master hunter and someone else as a survival hunter or marksmanship hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as the (ret) playstyle stays where it is, bring whatever else.

My memory of vanilla may be fuzzy, and I'm still only lvl 30 on classic, but ret is essentially auto attack plus cast seal and judgement. Exorcism if you're attacking an undead.

At best, you cast/judge SotC for the extra holy damage buff and cast SoC

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Return the whole set of blessings back, make them actually useful and allow buffing non-party members

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    Because they were flavorful and brought life to the class that made each spec feel connected. Right now with pretty much every class you don't feel like for example a paladin that specialized in holy for healing. You feel specifically like a holy paladin as if you had no connection to the other paladins. As a hunter, I feel no real connection or class camaraderie between me as a beast master hunter and someone else as a survival hunter or marksmanship hunter.
    All my specs feel like i'm using the light. I don't need useless auras or detrimental seals for that. That is nothing but nostalgia.
    Actually, the whole argument irks me. Why do i need to feel like my spec is connected to the other ones if i'm not necessarely playing them? You are not just a Paladin. You are a Retribution Paladin, or Prot Paladin or Holy paladin. Why do i need to feel like i'm prot and holy as well when i'm ret? It makes no sense. I don't play a paladin class, i play one spec at once. I can't play all 3 at once. Pointless to have them feel the same. It just holds them back and makes it a nightmare to balance, as it did for so very long.

Do BM, marks and survival feel different? Good! Cause they are doing different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

My memory of vanilla may be fuzzy, and I'm still only lvl 30 on classic, but ret is essentially auto attack plus cast seal and judgement. Exorcism if you're attacking an undead.

At best, you cast/judge SotC for the extra holy damage buff and cast SoC
    That is indeed all it was. It was only in TBC that we got crusader strike and avenging wrath. But all the mana problems still applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This.
    For a paladin Classic is by no stretch a period we should aim to relive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Nothing. The Classic Paladin is the very worst iteration of the class.

At best getting Auras back would be cool I guess. But fuck the rest of it, seals, rotation, holy being the only viable spec etc...