Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how to avoid burning out, but I always know I'm on the verge of burning out if I find myself doing legacy content. Whether it's farming xmog/mounts/achievements, I typically burnout shortly after pursuing that content. Right now I'm barely playing, just waiting for 8.3 to launch. In the meantime I leveled some horde alts to 120 since I already have one of every class at max level for alliance. Outside of that I'll logon to do gold emissaries across all my alts. There honestly isn't much to do unless you have a super active guild and a clique to do content with. Korgath is dying and every guild is transferring off. I just hope blizzard holds true to more realm merges like they stated. Hopefully they happen prior to 8.3 or shadowlands at the very least.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    I recently started playing diablo 2 and me and my buddies will probably play that until Shadowlands release.
    With that said we still have the Worldbreaker-mount to aquire. So there is still some sort of goal in wow.
    We will go back to wow during the next timewalking-event and play our asses off.. Then not touch wow until shadowlands.

What other games do you enjoy? none?
    Im currently 17 hours in Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory (Steam release)
    Decided to pick a pokemon-like game for PC...and found the gold
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-11-25 at 06:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it's simple. I just play other games from time to time. That and play the game in ways I normally wouldn't. Since classic has come out it has made me look at retail differently and I try to just exist in the world more often. I don't need to be doing anything in particular but I may just log in for 30 mins and go to one of the old zones I haven't been to in a while and fly around for a bit or even just run around on the ground. A good way to do this while still making progress is just roll alts because I know not everyone is going to want to do it on their main.

But yeah I mostly just play other games. Palette cleansing is a real ass thing in games. A few years back I didn't wanna play anything so I found the most braindead games I could that still had good ways to feel like you are making progress. It feels good to play through a game and know that you have an end goal and not a treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Yeah, my way of dealing with any burnout - is being altoholic and never doing content, I couldn't handle as altoholic. Problem is - Blizzard do all they can to kill such playstyle. All mechanics, that require long term grind, mean binding me to one character without being able to switch another one, just because I would lose all progress in this case. That's why there is lesser and lesser place for me in Wow.
    "People think it's fun to re-grind reputations!" is the WoW equivalent of "People like their health insurance companies!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Play no more than three days a week (and sometimes less).

Do not grind. The moment something feels as if it's getting old, stop doing it.

Do not do stuff that I don't much care for. Just play. Stuff comes your way whether you care about it or not.

If tired of endgame: roll an alt in a class I haven't played for a while. Do some leveling. See if I like it or not now. I don't level a lot any longer so the content has gotten a bit fresher through being away from it.

LATE EDIT: I should have added that I play about a half-dozen different games at any one time. Skyrim, GW2, Elite Dangerous, some fun tablet games and other things including chess and scrabble and I've joined a group of retirees that play D&D and Gurps twice a week. WoW isn't my life and I have no idea why it seems to be for so many and why so many who aren't playing seem so obsessed with it. I don't get it. It's their life but time on the planet is short enough without spending any portion of it spouting hate at a game. If I ever get that salty about WoW you won't see me ever again. It's unlikely you're going to burn out if you use common sense and add some variation to what you do.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-11-26 at 01:42 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I play Skyrim.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Don't force it. When you get bored of an expansion take 3 or 6 months off.

Play other games till I feel like playing wow again.

Eh, already had a severe burnout years ago, so can't ever play the game as I used to, but on the other hand I can't get burned out again... Not really a system or something I'd ever advise others.

Best I can say is to never ever exhaust yourself onany one game, no matter how tempting to no-life it gets, you may burn yourself and regret it.

I usually play while having fun.
    When I stop having fun I stop my subscription until the next content patch and repeat.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Do you have a "system" to prevent you from burning out mid expansion?
    Yes, it's called unsubbing when the content is not to my liking
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a alt-o-hollic and I take breaks from games so I don't get to bored of them.

I play games that aren't hot garbage. WoW has been in a shit state for all of BfA. Praying SL makes it better.

Since my WoW Token sub is still running, I'll probably check out 8.3 for a few weeks, but since my raiding team crumbled, I've barely been touching the game and enjoying my time away from it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Yeah, my way of dealing with any burnout - is being altoholic and never doing content, I couldn't handle as altoholic. Problem is - Blizzard do all they can to kill such playstyle. All mechanics, that require long term grind, mean binding me to one character without being able to switch another one, just because I would lose all progress in this case. That's why there is lesser and lesser place for me in Wow.
    What requires such a long term goal for altaholic playstyle? If anything they keep making the game more and more friendly for that playstyle. Will all your alts be mythic raid ready as soon as they hit 120, no. But that is a pretty silly expectation. I love playing alts and since legion it has become so much easier to get them decently geared quickly for casual content. I dontbother with grinding everything out on every alt because it just isn't necessary. I don't raid so all catch up gear is more than enough.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Easy, I keep it organized.

1. I always have clear goal. Right now: level all alts to 120 (almost done, left 4 chars - I level one a week, so I will be done before Christmas, I planned to move it to Shadowlands, but anniversary XP is REALLY good.

2. Follow news, adjust to situation and plan ahead to not waste any time. For example, during Legion I really wanted to get all Mage Tower skins (well, all skins, but later I learned that on MT is going away). So I leveled 12 classes to 110 before 8.3, then on launch run through Argus on all to unlock world boss. After few months (yep, it worked) all alts were overgeared for MT, so I started doing all challeges in chunks (first all Xylem, then all Agatha, etc.), so I didn't have to relearn them.

3. Take breaks:

- break from raiding to casual every few expacs (doing just story from current patch and finishing stuff from older content)
    - "soft" break (just doing transmog runs on alts parked near instance once a week) - usually between patches
    - hard break (usually few months before end of expacs), this time I'll complete 8.3 casual stuff level Vulpera/Mechgnome and leave WoW to play Cyberpunk and later some Total War from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I play games that aren't hot garbage. WoW has been in a shit state for all of BfA. Praying SL makes it better.

Since my WoW Token sub is still running, I'll probably check out 8.3 for a few weeks, but since my raiding team crumbled, I've barely been touching the game and enjoying my time away from it.
    Lol, I have bad news - you probably like playing hot garbage (by your own definition).
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2019-11-25 at 08:15 PM.

I play other games or just focus on other interests intead. Never play if you are starting to feel burned out

I dont, i play something else.

I only play if i feel like it i can skip a couple of weeks log on do hc raid or akey push when i feel like. I play the game i want not just wow

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pause/collect inane shit taking me to places I forget even exists in-game.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.