Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Nope, you only decide "what I consume and what I don't.", your money doesn't decide what is or isn't canon.
    Again yes, I do decide. Its a fantasy world thats just a hobby. I am in no way obligated to follow whatever imaginary rules a company that bought an IP wants me to swallow. They bough the IP, good for them but to me its like Shigeru selling The Legend of Zelda franchise to ubisoft or EA. They could have the ip, the chars, the name but thats not the original product. Same for the descents of Tolkien selling The Legend of Rings for Disney and they deciding Sauron didnt die and a genderfluid son of Sam was to fight him this time. I decide how to deal with it with my money, once again its just a hobby. Of course you might want to eat anything mickey throws at you but thats just you. Dont try to impose that crap to the fans.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    1. She didn't work on the Falcon, she knew it existed but it was owned by the Junker until her and Finn took it.
    She did, she says so in the movie. That Junker RAISED her and made work for him. Fixing the Falcon.
    2. I know she didn't know she had it, which is why I said "subliminally" as in she doesn't know she has the force but it's still works through her at times if she wills something enough, like persuading someone.
    That would've ruined the revelation when she approached the lightsaber. And it's not how force works. You need to consciously wish it.
    3. How is there no way or choice to craft her own? It's literally part of every Jedi's training to do so, she also could have attached it to her own Staff to make one. Literally endless ways she could've done it.
    She doesn't know how - it's a taught craft, and even if she's that gifted - she needs to observe someone else do it to learn it. Not to mention she needs to go to Illum (or some other crystal planet) to get a crystal to begin with - and it takes a lot of time to prepare padawan for that trial. There were no time nor need. Not to mention the double-bladed saber is more advanced - it's not like a staff, you can dismember yourself.
    4. He wasn't a legitimate teacher, he literally said he held back on teaching her much for fear of what she could do.
    But he did teach her. Yoda was also reluctant with teaching Luke. And it most likely was a test or persistence.
    And no, I'm not tired of the Master and apprentice trope. Since it is usually what kicks off a hero's journey. There is always a difference between naturally quick learner and straight up Matrix instant learning Kungfu.
    Thank god she's just a quick learner then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Again yes, I do decide.
    Ah, semantics, I love thee.

You do decide but your personal decision means jack shit... Do we have an understanding?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

You do decide but your personal decision means jack shit... Do we have an understanding?
    To me it matters more than your opinion or Disney. In fact its the only opinion it matters as its purely a hobby to me. Again you are free to swallow any crap they make, not saying the oposite. Its my choice not to. You won't manage to force your opinion on me, stop trying that as you are just wasting your time. Do we have an understanding?
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ways Rey could've been made better with a few slight changes to TFA/TLJ:

1: When she leaves with Han and Chewie in the Falcon there are a few Scenes of him showing her the ropes, a few tips and tricks on how to get the Old Girl working, Rey bringing up that her Scavenging past has allowed her to be able to identify the Parts Han is talking about.
    She was working on the Falcon while it was on Jakku. She knows that ship nearly as well as Han and Chewie. Better in its current configuration, really.

2: When she Mind Controls the Trooper it is after a few various attempts and failures at trying it previously or at least some instances of her subliminally but not fully force Persuading People, like her asking for more Payment for her Junk at the start and slowly getting better at Persuading the junker Bosses.
    Sure. That was rushed and poorly explained.

3: Her Lightsaber being more of a Saberstaff to make it believable that she went from wielding her Staff to another Staff, rather than somehow adapting a Sword so quickly after having used a 2h weapon.
    One clip we got of TRoS shows her using a saber staff (albeit in full Dark Side mode, so probably a vision or something). The important point on this is she doesn't have her lightsaber, yet. She's using someone else's that she picked up. Of course, that one blew up at the end of TLJ, so we can assume she's got to make one, now.

4: Luke actually being a legitimate Teacher in TLJ.
    If you think he's done teaching, you missed how Obi-Wan and Yoda both kept fucking with Luke as Force Ghosts.

The story with Luke was more about Luke than about teaching Rey anything at all, in that time period.

- - - Updated - - -

She doesn't know how - it's a taught craft, and even if she's that gifted - she needs to observe someone else do it to learn it. Not to mention she needs to go to Illum (or some other crystal planet) to get a crystal to begin with - and it takes a lot of time to prepare padawan for that trial. There were no time nor need. Not to mention the double-bladed saber is more advanced - it's not like a staff, you can dismember yourself.?
    Reminder that we saw Ilum, in these films.

Ilum was the planet Starkiller Base was built into. Which blew up. So . . . yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sorry to interrupt the debate, but some interesting news regarding the movie. It comes with a seizure warning for those with epilepsy.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...robe-sequences
    You can see multiple thunder storm like effects on the trailer.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Rise of Skywalker: last minute details
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...inute_details/
    +
    OST tracks
    Last edited by Kontinuum; 2019-12-10 at 09:34 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    These leaks sound so horribly fake and I really hope they are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    The same thing was said about the TLJ and GoT leaks, and those ended up being 100% correct

Buckle up, this will be one hell of a shitshow
    I don't remember any TLJ leaks but the GOT ones were right so i this is gonna be awful.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I mean thousands were blown up in the death star because they didn't find the droids so those are some hefty consequences for the troopers.
    Poor evil henchmen...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Wow... i cannot believe that there are still people defending this trilogy. It has completely destroyed everything Star Wars is and people still defend it.
    They want to give the next trilogy to Brie Larson, so wait for it to get a whole lot worse.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This feels like a semantic game with no purpose.

The Jedi are as hostile to love as they are to hate or anger.
    You brought the idea the Jedi believe love is "evil". I'm saying that they don't, that they believe it's dangerous for Jedi. Being evil and dangerous is not the same at all.

Because repressing your feelings is a shitty way to manage them. Sort of my whole point, here.
    It's not about repressing his feelings, it's about keeping them secret.

Honestly, it's because the Jedi Code is so stupid the writers can't be bothered to try and have Jedi stick to it.

It's like the Prime Directive in Star Trek, which exists only so that admirals and captains can talk about how they're definitely gonna break it this time but somehow it still makes sense as the central tenet of their entire philosophy (it doesn't).
    It's not that stupid in the context of Star Wars. It's just that you don't seem to understand what the tenets really means.

You realize Obi-Wan colossally fucked up the training of his padawan, right?
    What does it have to do with the feelings he had for Anakin?

Except when those are useful to the faith.

Aggressivity is "bad", unless it's against enemies of the faith.
    Appetites are "bad", unless they serve the faith.
    Anger is "bad", unless it's defending the faith.

Etc.
    I'm not talking about religion here, but about civilization, about living together.

If anything, it's significantly undersells how abusive and how much of a violation the Jedi Mind Trick is.

Brainwashing usually involves such overt control that you can't do it subtly. The Jedi Mind Trick just takes a wave of a hand and a Force nudge.

We also see them try to use it on Hutt cartel bosses, on heads of state, on innocent business people who want a fair price for something the Jedi need, etc. It's not just that one Stormtrooper.

And yes; Qui-Gonn used it for convenience, to steal an engine, because he couldn't be arsed to find a real way to pay. That's what he was attempting; grand theft. And he'd have gotten away with it, too, if Watto's species weren't Force-resistant.

That they found a way to buy it legitimately anyway just underscores how much it was just a convenience.
    Would it have been better if he killed or knocked out Watto to steel the engine? It was a matter of life and death for an entire system. He had to be quick. He has been rather mild about it, when you think about it. Besides, he was NOT trying to steal the engine. He was willing to buy it with Republic credits. 25 thousands. If the mind trick had worked, Watto would have been paid and he would just have had to change those credits to whatever currency they have on Tatooine.

The Mind Trick isn't physical violence, but it's absolutely mental violence. You're suborning and removing someone else's freedom over their own mind. That's an immense violation.
    Still better than ending up dead, in a bodycast or with a concussion.

These leaks sound so horribly fake and I really hope they are.
    Unless Disney is doing some genius level misdirection count on the leaks being accurate.

Trailers matched up
    Actor comments have been matching up
    Ratings for some foreign markets have listed reasons for the rating the match up with the leaks.

Props to Disney if the movie is completely different from the leaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "It's just the Force or something" has been pre-emptively dismissed. That's the default premise when we're talking Star Wars, and people are arguing it's not enough to explain Rey, when it was for everyone else.

The only reason there could have been any "loss" was the Jedi Order's intolerance towards romantic love. They created the whole situation. If Anakin had been able to openly marry Padme, Palpatine wouldn't have had any fear to capitalize upon in the first place.

The Jedi Order created the weaknesses in Anakin that allowed Palpatine to lure him.
    The weakness was already there! The Order didn't create anything. Yoda already saw his flaw right from the start. He was afraid. Afraid to lose his mother, later afraid to lose Padme and also Ahsoka. Palpatine was already luring him by manipulating his main flaw: his arrogance. "They are holding you back." He was seeding distrust towards Anakin's masters. He forced his introduction in the Jedi Council. For every one in the council, Anakin became the Chancelor's man in the council. Then yes, when he sensed Anakin's fear of losing Padme, he used that. But he couldn't do it if Anakin wasn't already trusting him after years and years of flattery.

It wasn't his attachment that created the issue. It was the Jedi intolerance of his attachment that did.
    Yes it was his attachment. Anakin did not leave because he was disgruntled that the Jedi would refuse his love for Padme. He left because he had a vision about Padme's death and because he could not accept that eventuality. Sidious offered him an easy way to prevent that death and he bit that lure and got hooked. The Jedi rules had nothing to do with it. Let's suppose that the Jedi did accept that their members could marry. Would it have prevent that vision? Would it have reduced Anakin possessive attitude towards Padme? No, it would have been just the same. The only difference is that maybe Palpatine would have been his witness to his marriage.

The Jedi gave Anakin reason to fear. Palpatine just gave him an alternative he already wanted, due to the Jedi's codes.
    It's not the Jedi who made Anakin fear the death of the ones he cared for (Shmi, Padme, Ahsoka). It's a trait of personality that already existed in him before he joined the Jedi.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2019-12-10 at 10:57 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Poor evil henchmen...
    the empire was manned by normal people just like any one else in the galaxy they were working for the legitimate government not an evil organization like say hydra.

I mean, I guess the point is that a dictatorship is never a legitimate government.

I don't feel bad for the people working on something named a "Death Star" who died.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I guess the point is that a dictatorship is never a legitimate government.

I don't feel bad for the people working on something named a "Death Star" who died.
    Are we the baddies?

So much for the tolerant left.

7+ Year Old Account

the empire paints the rebles the same way but use the word terrorist instead of dictatorship.

10+ Year Old Account
    the empire was manned by normal people just like any one else in the galaxy they were working for the legitimate government not an evil organization like say hydra.
    Exactly. Luke would have joined the Empire perhaps if slept in. Han was in the Empire. Many Rebels, notably pilots, were once proud servants of the Empire.

If Rogue One meant to show anything its both sides had dirt on its name (the Alliance was still a bit more excusable) and that many Imperials were detached from what top command was doing or they were sabotaging the Empire any ways they could. It's war. Most of the grunts have no control of much of anything.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Luke is the reason kylo turned to the dark side it’s his failure that drove kylo away from him and to snoke that compounded with the knowledge that the Jedi tend to screw things up and make the galaxy worse caused Luke to think the galaxy would be better off without them mucking things up.

Luke doesn’t give up on kylo Luke gives up on him self.
    More like Jake Skywalker gives up on himself.
    Luke wouldn't. He didn't for his father which was so far gone not even Yoda thought was redeeamable, it makes no sense he'd throw the towel immediately for Ben Solo.

Just horrible writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based