Page 48 of 124 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    this is how "deterrence" works:

Three rockets are fired at US embassy in Baghdad and 'hit an apartment complex killing civilians' on second night of attacks in Green Zone following killing of Qassem Soleimani
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...7LYxB8B6lWantM

so just to recap we went from protestors stirring shit up, then "deterrence", to rockets being fired at the embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    People on the forums like to give him a pat on the back because he speaks out against Trump. But if it was any other Republican that had been elected in 2016, they'd probably still be disagreeing with pretty much every stance he takes on a political topic.
    Not sure about any other republican. But on this particular issue - deterrence - I have spent much of the past 4 years going into exquisite detail. Often. From many angles.

Many of the same people clutching their pearls joined me in praising the US military wiping out 300 Russian Wagner mercenaries as a form of pushback.

What’s being revealed is that folks really haven’t thought through what I’ve been saying and they have been agreeing to, literally, for years. That is on them. And regardless of their opinions on it or not, I am absolutely in the right about this. The reluctance of folks to realize the importance as manner of rebuilding deterrence is insane. It’s so history ignorant, I’m just at a loss for words.

Folks want to cede escalation dominance to our adversaries because they are petrified of risk. Of possibilities. I matter how remote. Sheer madness. It’s one thing to be prudent but this is so much more than that. This is full blown panic.

But don’t worry next week this will be behind us and we’ll all just be discussing Trump again, because World War III or Gulf War III is not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post

so just to recap we went from protestors stirring shit up, then "deterrence", to rockets being fired at the embassy.
    Well they need to do something to save faces in the region, small stuff shame they need to hit civilians though not what i would call precision strikes.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Geez, their aim is horrible.

And you guys are scared of their retaliatory capabilities? Or the funny joke about their cyber warfare abilities?

We need not invade a country to render it toothless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Many of the same people clutching their pearls joined me in praising the US military wiping out 300 Russian Wagner mercenaries as a form of pushback.
    Sometimes people agree, sometimes they don't, the world is a crazy place.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Geez, their aim is horrible.

And you guys are scared of their retaliatory capabilities? Or the funny joke about their cyber warfare abilities?

We need not invade a country to render it toothless.
    what did we "deter" again?

Did they target and kill Americans? Because the Green zone is the governing area, not the US zone.

And as I’ve said repeatedly in this thread, rebuilding deterrence is a process. This being a one off without a broader strategy won’t amount to much. But as a first step it’s a damn good one.

what did we "deter" again?
    Eventually our response will be so overwhelming that there will be a permanent deterrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...574812160?s=19

So he is announcing he doesn't need Congress approval on Twitter.

He is mad, mental and may likely more than ever start a war on Twitter. Amazing.
    He doesn't, for the most part. Congress gave up that power nearly two decades ago and has been too cowardly to take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    Eventually our response will be so overwhelming that there will be a permanent deterrence.
    so, nothing was deterred.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    This is what the pentagon thought. So you're out of touch with even military officials but I'm sure you were an Iraq war supporter as well. People like you aren't on the front lines so you can have all kinds of stupid fantasies because you aren't going to be the one coming back in a body bag like the thousands who died in your pointless war.

“Officials presented the president with options. The Pentagon tacked on the choice of targeting Suleimani mainly to make other options seem reasonable. They didn’t think he would take it. When Mr. Trump chose the option, military officials, flabbergasted, were alarmed.”
    And yet they also presented it to him as an option. This sort of leak typically means someone inside dissented. That is normal. But there is nothing to indicate any kind of widespread dissent. US military commanders have wanted this guy dead for a while.

So I’d be carefully generalizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    People on the forums like to give him a pat on the back because he speaks out against Trump. But if it was any other Republican that had been elected in 2016, they'd probably still be disagreeing with pretty much every stance he takes on a political topic.
    Are you sure that picture of trump beheading Freedom is supposed to be a criticism but not a praise?

Did they target and kill Americans? Because the Green zone is the governing area, not the US zone.

And as I’ve said repeatedly in this thread, rebuilding deterrence is a process. This being a one off without a broader strategy won’t amount to much. But as a first step it’s a damn good one.
    if this form of deterrence actually worked they wouldn't have messed with us in the first place after invading and destroying the government of 2 nearby nations.

its like trickle down economics; "it'll work this time for sure! just give us a bit more money!"
    Last edited by starlord; 2020-01-05 at 10:20 PM.

Not sure about any other republican. But on this particular issue - deterrence - I have spent much of the past 4 years going into exquisite detail. Often. From many angles.

What’s being revealed is that folks really haven’t thought through what I’ve been saying and they have been agreeing to, literally, for years. That is on them. And regardless of their opinions on it or not, I am absolutely in the right about this. The reluctance of folks to realize the importance as manner of rebuilding deterrence is insane. It’s so history ignorant, I’m just at a loss for words.

Folks want to cede escalation dominance to our adversaries because they are petrified of risk. Of possibilities. I matter how remote. Sheer madness. It’s one thing to be prudent but this is so much more than that. This is full blown panic.

But don’t worry next week this will be behind us and we’ll all just be discussing Trump again, because World War III or Gulf War III is not coming.
    It’s going too far, that’s the core issue. If deterrence is using drone strikes against generals who’s country you are not officially at war with, then it’s just murder and the US is no better than Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It’s going too far, that’s the core issue. If deterrence is using drone strikes against generals who’s country you are not officially at war with, then it’s just murder and the US is no better than Iran.
    I haven't seen any one defending this yet admit that if Iran responded by bombing a general at an airport that it would be terrorism and American actions here amounted to that.

But what if you are wrong and the reports from Iraq's PM are correct that Trump lured him to Iraq under the guise of peace, this is Trump we are talking about this could all be a hair brain scheme to distract from impeachment and boost his poll numbers for elections. I think you may be giving this administration too much credit that this is part of some chess move to restore respect to the US.

Jeez... the descent from patriotism to jingoism is quick, isn't it?

so, nothing was deterred.
    I literally said in my second or third post that building deterrence is a process. If this doesn’t exist within a wider strategy to do just that, even if the strategy comes later, then as a one off it doesn’t do much. But it’s a tremendous opportunity.

Turning into a terrorist state and damaging diplomatic connections, is hardly a tremendous opportunity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    it’s just murder and the US is no better than Iran.
    An act of terrorism and a war crime isn't just a murder though