Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Last week it was Call to Arms in Nazjatar so we had a bunch of raids going on, lagging the hell out of the zone. Wouldn't really say it's much of an argument for population.

When Classic was out, had about 20 people from my friend list play it. Some ignored 8.2 for Classic, but eventually raided whatever there was to raid and came back to 8.3. Not sure if it had anything to do with the pvp thing, since half were playing on pve realms. Now I can only see one of them raiding (and he also raids with us in retail) and one that didn't play before is there now (and doesn't seem to be playing retail anymore).

What I'm trying to say is that unless we have evidence, everyone uses whatever sample size or metric they think is relevant, but it's all really subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah...I find it really weird that people even need to make a "Them vs Us" out of two versions / iterations of the same game.

Glad that Blizzard does not release how many play what version...so we can keep up this endless masturbation of "what I prefer is more popular..makes me feel great and superior"

- - - Updated - - -

..and THIS - because every other time Blizzard offers an incentive...like "Here is a free mount if you sub for 6 month" ppl go "LOL WoW maust be tanking if they are that desperate"
    They are tanking verry hard, and their prolly happy if onky half the people came back for 50%. But hey. The more succesfull the one is the more succesfull the other can be. Im fine with that

Yes, but that is not saying much I think WOW as a whole is a dying game that has very little to offer todays gamer base. Most don't want to spend hours on end preparing and gathering in order to be able to raid for the possibility of gear that may drop for you or not. Most people just want to hop on a game for a few hours or even 1 hour and feel that they have accomplished something meaningful. Last night I played 7D2D for 2 hours and looted a bunch of stuff we needed and then did a Horde night and thwarted it to protect our base, it was fun and difficult I died 5 times and still managed to gain 5 levels and a some killer loot. Now I cannot remember spending 2 hours in WOW in any capacity in the last 10 years that has been that rewarding.

The fact that classic players have the constant need to make threads about how great Classic is tells you enough. Also tells you there is fuck-all to do in Classic most of the time. its ironic that after all the bashing of how bad "play on patch week and you're done" is, Classic is exactly that - you play the week when content is released and you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommie530 View Post
    Im sorry but the fact that people get a 50% discount on a fucking patch day even tells a whole diffrent story lol.
    And when would you release it? 3 months in, when you're done with the patch? Or as the patch drops, when you're excited for new content?

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That's just not true, let's not lie xD
    Rather big lie as well.

Classic guilds progressing BWL and logging = 9,124

Retail guilds progressing nyalotha and logging all difficultys = 21,077

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That's just not true, let's not lie xD
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/ra...1&difficulty=4

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/zon...ogress&boss=-1

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Rather big lie as well.

There are more than twice as many people in classic raids than retail raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

I can see this thread going good places.

Classic hasn't appealed to anyone I play/played with because we all did it years ago (not bashing the game)... 8.3 with all its flaws has got a few of them playing again.

It's nice there is some content for everyone and maybe we stop comparing them? Maybe?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    Since Classic was released, we have seen a drop in players in US, but not to the extend people were expecting. Our server is thriving so much that when Ony head is about to be dropped, the lag in Org feels like they are about to crash the server, as much as a 30sec to 1min delay.

The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe. Currently in the US, Blizzard is offering 50% to new players for Classic. As we all know, classic is tied to the retail subscription, which in essence means that new players are getting BFA for 50% off. But the specific wording is "World of Warcraft: Classic".

TLDR: Blizzard is advertising for new players, using Classic WoW, proving Classic WoW is more popular.
    It doesn't prove Classic is more popular at all. It's just a terrible time to get back into the game in retail, it would be stupid to try to push that market, not to mention it implies buying the xpacks. Classic almost has the appeal of a free to play mobile game in the fact that people don't need to buy anything other than the monthly sub, specially the people who played before, this is just adverstisement aimed at this demographic. Smart marketing.

I'm not saying Classic is not more popular than retail, I don't know which one is more popular right now, I'm only pointing out that what you said is not proof that it's more popular, anyone could make an argument that "because they try to focus on classic is must mean it's already losing players and therefore has to be less popular than retail".

Simpl put, you have no tangible proof, only assumptions which obviously are not worth much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Rather big lie as well.

You do realise retail guilds start from 10 man. Classic is 40 man raids.

Did you add each difficulty together?
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2020-02-17 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/ra...1&difficulty=4

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/zon...ogress&boss=-1

There are more than twice as many people in classic raids than retail raids.
    I'm not sure how anyone can spin the data to show otherwise but damn there's people trying lol. It's pretty clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone can spin the data to show otherwise but damn there's people trying lol. It's pretty clear to me.
    I'm not saying more people are playing classic vs retail, i'm saying more people are raiding on classic vs retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    Maybe they can poll the AI and figure out why their game sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post

Do those numbers even take into account pugging? A lot of logs from pugs - and also a lot of pugs not logging at all. (which might be the same case in classic I wouldnt know)

I'm not saying more people are playing classic vs retail, i'm saying more people are raiding on classic vs retail.
    Yeah I was agreeing with you. There's clearly more people raiding in classic.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I don't know what "tanking very hard" means. Obviously everyone at all times applied their own metrics between 2004-2020 how badly WoW was suffering "because reasons"

See...the guys behind SW:ToR recently said how happy they were, that the game made one billion dollars. Well, this game has the HUGE SW universe and fanbase behind them and made one billion dollars in 9 years. Sounds awesome, right...and boy I wish I had a piece of that cake.

Meh...WotLK with 12 million subs made pretty much that from the box sales and the subs (feel free to correct my math...I guess something something China). Obviously I have no idea about the expectations that is put on the performance of WoW...at this point I am just pretty impressed that this supposedly dead horse is still alive. MAUs don't sound so bad, guess we will again know more soon how it was in Q1 2020.

So yeah...again...I don't know what "tanking very hard" means. Like everyone I have my own anecdotal evidence of always and at all times of the day finding ppl to play with and other players around me. Not as many as 2004-2010...sure, but still...
    People tend to exaggerate. WoW is doing just fine. Still by far the most popular MMO; not close.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can’t speak for everyone, quit in Cata and never looked back until now. Enjoying Classic so yes it lured at least one older player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arararagi View Post
    Do those numbers even take into account pugging? A lot of logs from pugs - and also a lot of pugs not logging at all. (which might be the same case in classic I wouldnt know)
    Same case in Classic, comparing these numbers only gives you a basic idea, but shouldn't really be taken that seriously.

Multiple MC pugs happen every single day on my realm, even for BWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post

lets not pretend you can't spin those numbers every which way you want, for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    The big ticket proof that Classic is more popular is Blizzard's advertisement to get new players to WoW. Blizzard isn't trying to pull new players touting retail WoW, but using Classic as a selling point for new players to subscribe. Currently in the US, Blizzard is offering 50% to new players for Classic. As we all know, classic is tied to the retail subscription, which in essence means that new players are getting BFA for 50% off. But the specific wording is "World of Warcraft: Classic".

TLDR: Blizzard is advertising for new players, using Classic WoW, proving Classic WoW is more popular.
    What you consider proof is just marketing. Classic is the "new" (well, old) thing that made some news, so its good for marketing. People read about it, so they might be more interested.

For retail, they have loads of plans to make the new-player experience much better with 9.0 / Shadowlands, so you'll see a push in advertising for that once its ready. Doing that now and possibly alienating some potential players with the jarring new player situation is not good business - hence, no huge advertisement for that.

Nothing about this proves anything regarding population count.

15+ Year Old Account
    Atleast way more people are raiding on classic than on retail, almost double the amount of logged players so far.
    I'd say it shows that there's a problem with retails raiding. People prefer simpler fights