Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Well you are the one who is doing insults and personal attacks so i don't think its me who ran out of argument

And how larian fans refuse to acknowledge that larian did to BG exactly same thing bethesda did to fallout is hilarious.
    But hey, larian are the good guys right? They would never do that, they are our friends and love BG.
    I have a hard reality for you, just because you say something is so does not make it so. Baldurs gate propriety owners are working closely with the studios. Do you even know the history between Bethesda and Fallout? I doubt it, you are merely repeating like a parrot what someone else has said in hope that person has a valid point to begin with.
    The whole it is being milked out argument has no basis, you're free to proof me otherwise if you can actually create a decent argument and not based on some feelings you have.
    In any case, those rotten few baldur gate "fans" won't be missed. I doubt that level of bitterness and entitlement is welcome in any community. On that matter, i ain't contributing by feeding people like you either.

So i will await and pick this up when the AMA is ongoing, because this pointless discussion for me has run its course.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well you are the one who is doing insults and personal attacks so i don't think its me who ran out of argument

And how larian fans refuse to acknowledge that larian did to BG exactly same thing bethesda did to fallout is hilarious.
    But hey, larian are the good guys right? They would never do that, they are our friends and love BG.
    I mean Fallout 3 was immensely popular so I'm failing to see your point? Was there an outcry of "og fans" complaining that it sucked and "s'not FO1/2"??

Cuz if there was an outcry over it then it must've been so small it flew under everyone's radar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    In any case, those rotten few baldur gate "fans" won't be missed. I doubt that level of bitterness and entitlement is welcome in any community. On that matter, i ain't contributing by feeding people like you either.

So i will await and pick this up when the AMA is ongoing, because this pointless discussion for me has run its course.
    The best thing to know from all these "fans" is that 99% of them will be picking up the game and playing it regardless of their supposed immense disdain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I have a hard reality for you, just because you say something is so does not make it so. Baldurs gate propriety owners are working closely with the studios. Do you even know the history between Bethesda and Fallout? I doubt it, you are merely repeating like a parrot what someone else has said in hope that person has a valid point to begin with.
    The whole it is being milked out argument has no basis, you're free to proof me otherwise if you can actually create a decent argument and not based on some feelings you have.

I don't like it so its stupid - got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    I mean Fallout 3 was immensely popular so I'm failing to see your point? Was there an outcry of "og fans" complaining that it sucked and "s'not FO1/2"??

Cuz if there was an outcry over it then it must've been so small it flew under everyone's radar.
    Yes, there was, and F3 wasn't popular because it was faithful to original games it was popular because back then oblivion was 10/10 best game ever and people wanted more. Exactly same situation we have with DoS2 and BG3 now.

10+ Year Old Account

BG3 literally isn't out yet. There's no grounds for complaining about, really, anything at this point, not unless you're determined to hate whatever Larian produces, no matter how excellent it may be.

Also, Fallout 3, NV, and 4 were all based on the engines Bethesda produced. Metacritic scores them at 91, 84, and 84 respectively (on PC). Fallout 1 and 2 scored 89 and 86, respectively. User scores dipped for Fallout 4, and Fallout 76 deserves criticism, but those are the later entries, and they don't mean that Fallout 3/NV don't exist.

If Larian does for BG what Bethesda did for Fallout; bring it to a much wider modern audience to broad acclaim, then that's all good.

This is the modern state of fandom. Nothing new can be created because it's not exactly like the original in every single respect, and thus it is heresy and must be abolished, even if it improves on that original in myriad ways. Especially if it does so.
    Last edited by Endus; 2020-03-12 at 05:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

The best thing to know from all these "fans" is that 99% of them will be picking up the game and playing it regardless of their supposed immense disdain.
    Same thing is going to happen here, i doubt you'll even hear them when the game is actually playable in early access even.
    Yep, they will most likely end up buying it and playing it to see how the story evolved. Funny huh? Considering how it's "not the real baldurs gate"

I fully expect the AMA to even put a bigger dent in that nonsense without spoiling too much of the actual game. However as said before i think too much time is waste on such individuals and it sets the wrong tone for the thread. Going to focus on keep it actually on things that will be rather than vitriol of some.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I mean sure they did exactly the same thing I’d you ignore that,

Larian didn’t buy the ip.

Is working closely with wizards.

Got approved to make the game because wizards thought there past style would be a good fit.

Is trying to stay true to form with the help of wizards.

But sure if you ignore all of the massive differences then ya they did exactly the same thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there was, and F3 wasn't popular because it was faithful to original games it was popular because back then oblivion was 10/10 best game ever and people wanted more. Exactly same situation we have with DoS2 and BG3 now.
    Right so old fans who are the minority became upset that the newest game brought in a vast majority of new fans and continued the franchise's success? Good to know.

Some of you are extremely salty over peanuts.

I'm a huuuuuuuuge Fable 1 fan and enjoyed 2 and not as much 3, but if they were to release a proper "Fable 4" (not spin-off like Fable Journey/Fable Legends where the gameplay is an entirely different genre) I would look forward to what the improved technology can bring. I would not be expecting "give me Fable 1 characters/story/graphics but higher 2020 fidelity" which is how the old fans sound, I would want them to push their ideas forward.

Think FF7 ps1 and FF7 Remake. You remind me of the "fans" that got upset because Tifa now has a sports bra under her white tank-top.

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing is going to happen here, i doubt you'll even hear them when the game is actually playable in early access even.
    Yep, they will most likely end up buying it and playing it to see how the story evolved. Funny huh? Considering how it's "not the real baldurs gate"

I fully expect the AMA to even put a bigger dent in that nonsense without spoiling too much of the actual game. However as said before i think too much time is waste on such individuals and it sets the wrong tone for the thread. Going to focus on keep it actually on things that will be rather than vitriol of some.
    I expect the AMA to be full of some of these "fans" that will try to ask "why isn't it BG1/2 but 2020 fidelity". Hopefully those get downvoted the shit out of, as I'm sure Swen has answered to those types of comments enough on Twitter.
    Last edited by FlubberPuddy; 2020-03-12 at 05:40 PM.

How are Larian's writers? Can they write an interesting story? Are their characters well written? Can they or will they do interesting interactions between party members?

Those are the main things I want to know.

Never got into the divinity games so I am generally curious.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    How are Larian's writers? Can they write an interesting story? Are their characters well written? Can they or will they do interesting interactions between party members?

Main story writing is a bit iffy in Os1/2 but they’ll likely have wizards writers helping with it.

Character and Party interactions are written very well I’d personally say better then say any dragon age party members in OS2 atleast 1 has rather weak party interactions.

This is an area in which they need a lot of improvement, IMO. However, they have vastly increased the size of the team, including outsourcing some talent. Its also possible that they were able to pull some writers from WoTC to help out as well. To me, this is my biggest concern, as DOS1 & 2 has outstanding combat mechanics (literally the best turn-based combat I've seen in a game, IMO), but the writing, world building, and characters have only been "above average", so to speak. Again, all my opinion.

Party banter does exist, not only between party members, but also between players when playing co-op, which I did feel was well done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    This is an area in which they need a lot of improvement, IMO. However, they have vastly increased the size of the team, including outsourcing some talent. Its also possible that they were able to pull some writers from WoTC to help out as well. To me, this is my biggest concern, as DOS1 & 2 has outstanding combat mechanics (literally the best turn-based combat I've seen in a game, IMO), but the writing, world building, and characters have only been "above average", so to speak. Again, all my opinion.

Party banter does exist, not only between party members, but also between players when playing co-op, which I did feel was well done.
    This, and also the fact that Wizards literally does not let any writing take place in Forgotten Realms without running it by a few Keyholder writers of the realm. This "iron-grip" style rule has actually been why some authors have taken extended breaks from writing in FR, they feel its too restrictive at times to fit within the grand scheme of things. This is likely being treated the exact same way. This isn't Larian has free reign to make up whatever they want, what is happening in BG3 will be canonized and Wizards will make sure it fits the overall direction of FR's future.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post

I’d say the world building is rather good there’s just an extreme lack of it in OS2. What little you learn of the elfs lizard men or eternals is all really interesting but you only get a surface view and only if you play as a story character or use one as a party member. The main story really seems to hurt the world building as you won’t get to see many non humans and the whole source focus is rather bland.

10+ Year Old Account

Interview with a writer, https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/baldur...-take-21600314

Some interesting bits as to how it is all constructed and how the interaction evolves. Origin stories were well done, which are essentially the background stories of each premade character that you can play personally or becomes a companion. Overarching story less so.

But as others have said they seem to have gotten a larger crew and WoTC oversight.

- - - Updated - - -

Also AMA is live: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...tor_at_larian/

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying the answers, also liking the clap back Swen did about multi-part questions.

Those are so obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I hate small groups in CRPGs. What is the point of having a large roster of NPCs (or the ability to create dozens of your own different builts) if you are going to force people to play the game with such a small group. D&D itself has largely been balanced on the 5+ group (with 4 somewhat working and less than 4 only working with optimization) so why limit us to just 4 characters Heck I'd have loved if I could have EIGHT in BG (and even more so IWD).
    Same, I have a huge issue with RPGs that have lots of NPCs to pick but only allows you a small group. I think Neverwinter Nights 2 was like that. We miss so much that way. Same with "The Outer Worlds". I know the later is a first person game but its so annoying that you miss seeing the interactions in the story unless you load back and change companions to see all stuff.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying the answers, also liking the clap back Swen did about multi-part questions.

Those are so obnoxious.
    Aye scrolling up and down to read the question and find the answer. I am sure some one will make a compilation that is easier to read.

Good to see they are quite forth coming about the game shows they have a good idea of what the game is going to be. Also no clear answer on what will be in at EA and what won't be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any answers about more classes/multiclassing?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Any answers about more classes/multiclassing?
    Yup, follows like DnD 5e.
    Multiclassing rules will follow closely the 5e DnD. On level up characters will be able to continue with their current class or choose a new class, provided they meet the requirements. Multiclassing is not going to be available in Early Access at launch, we're planning to add it later.

As for the Ranger, we will be implementing alternative variants of Favourite Enemy and Natural Explorer features that are not limited to specific monster and location types. When we were working on these changes, we went to WotC for their approval and it turned out that we were completely on the same page. Mike Mearls shared some of their playtesting material, and we’re rolling with that.
    - - - Updated - - -

Another great question with great answer:

Will there be any connection between the story of Baldurs gate 1/2/tob and Baldurs gate 3?
    We really don’t want to spoil anything but we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link. Let me just say that we touch upon the story of BG 1 & 2 in meaningful ways, there are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/tob leads to what happens into BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    For our lovely fans worried about Volo.

Q: Where is Volo's beard and is there a quest to retrieve it?
    A: It froze off! Seriously though, his custom head wasn't quite ready for the presentation build, but don't worry. He WILL look like Volo!

A good Q/A here a series of questions i found interesting from a game mechanics perspective or how things will differ gameplay wise from divinity.

Hi there, and thanks for the AMA. I wanted to focus my questions on gameplay:

1) Can you say anything about the level cap?

2)Specific reactions are part of class balancing in 5th editions, are you planning to implement reactions like Counterspell and Uncanny Dodge? If not, what you planning to do with those?

3)In D:OS every character was able to take more than one action per turn. How generous do you plan to be with additional actions compared to PnP?

4)Can you tell us anything about itemization? Will magical items be scarce, or will there be a lot to find?

5)How are you balancing encounters with group initiative? It seems that in many cases the combat would be decided by the initiative roll, how does one side come back into the combat if they get fireballed twice or more times before being able to act?

1)We’re planning to cover levels 1 through 10 in full release.

2)The features and mechanics that allow a character to perform an action as a reaction will trigger automatically. The players will be able to control which reactions they want to enable in anticipation of enemy actions. E.g. a wizard would disable their Attack of Opportunity but enable their Shield spell, which will be cast automatically whenever the wizard is targeted by an attack or Magic Missile spell.

3)In BG3 we’re going with the same action economy that 5e uses: a character generally can take one Action like attacking an enemy or casting a spell during their turn and move up to their Movement Speed for free. Additionally if they have a Bonus Action, they can do that too. Some classes get access to free additional attacks per turn.

4)Not like in Original Sin. BG is a different type of game when it comes to loot and item fever. We still want to make treasure exciting, though, and that means a lot of manual work.Treasure has to make sense in the context, and that means hand-placing and hand-creating it. There will be equipment with magical bonuses, but not many - they’ll feel special, and they'll be tailor made.

5)Verticality and larger scale of combat arenas help us make sure that covering the entire enemy team with AoE is extremely rare. Rushing into the fray is a risky play because if your plan doesn’t work out, you’ll be exposed to enemy retaliation. Additionally we are still experimenting with tweaks to the initiative system. BG3 combat is much higher stakes than in DOS2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to punch faces with monk. That's all I need.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.