Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I don't think anyone is playing down shit right now. The fact that you voted in a retard into the office with his mild corona flu crap, that's another story.
    Republicans voted him in. Hillary won the Popular Vote.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

"Handling much better" - these 2 states are most severe hit states so far.
    When it comes to trying to Contain the Virus yes.

The Majority of CA has already been on Lockdown.
    You are a bit too full of yourself there for no reason. Facts on the ground don't support your chest thumping.

You just don't realize how badly prepared you were and yes it also goes for Democratic states who could have implemented all the measures they needed themselves instead of waiting for the orange daddy.
    Wrong, Democratic States were the first ones Cancelling Events/Schools and telling people about the Pandemic.

The fact that it took Florida this long show's how incompetent Republicans are treating this Virus.

If you have imbecile in White House, it does not mean local state government can't do shit themselves. There is a reason why this is is United States of America and not fucking Trumplandia
    And Local and State rely on the CDC, and the NSC pandemic response who were unprepared or were fired under Trump.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-03-19 at 12:25 AM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It or it may not.

I, personally, don't think it's good for mental health to go full throttle doomsday scenarios. I believe and hope that this will either be one time deal or yearly shot like flu, where you get a shot for old and new strains and we know how to figure that shit out relatively well.

Of course, this indeed can mutate faster than flu, even flu shot done in autumn might not protect you from flu in spring, because it does change. But I do hope and expect us to have reasonable solution for it overall including vaccines and medications eventually and I sure bloody hope this eventually be next year and until then we hopefully will have some quick and dirty repurposed existing medication to at least cut the fatality and severe cases rates.
    normalcy bias would have one look for the best possible back-to-normal path in this situation and plan on it. many of the paths people are having to find are increasingly crooked. the 'next wave' issue is not present in most of them, and is fixable by medication in most others.

in this case, it isn't clear to me that all possibilities shouldn't be considered with an eye to what, if anything, should be done different now with those possible outcomes in mind. the bad situations are so bad that few folks can plan differently as a result. but, as the count says on sesame street, 'counting always works.'

I cannot not count when I see numbers and look at outcome sets.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, so California and New York are apparently Republican states.

Your bullshit blinds you.

It's kinda hilarious, because just this evening I seen a report from Israeli reported resident in New York about how she was completely shocked by the lack of awareness that was there, that only last days people started having this shit sink it and how the state is basically trailing Israel when it comes to preventive measures with a good 2 weeks delay. There you go - blue state, retarded people all the same.
    in the badly balkanized US, first and foremost a pandemic is a political event. the narrative on both sides has almost switched places in the last 7 weeks. one party is doing everything right, the other everything wrong. just ask anyone with political opinions - but you will get both parties in both positions in your answers.

As far as I can tell, the virus doesn't have a preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I agree. It seems we either go full panic or...not.
    And the only scenario I see where full panic is justified is when hundreds die every day in every state.
    At which point I'd fully support mobilizing the national guard full out.
    should we wait until hundreds are dying? can we look at what other countries are doing? italy is the size of a large state in population iirc.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    italy is the size of a large state in population iirc.
    Not even remotely. The biggest state has barely half of Italy population.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the badly balkanized US, first and foremost a pandemic is a political event. the narrative on both sides has almost switched places in the last 7 weeks. one party is doing everything right, the other everything wrong. just ask anyone with political opinions - but you will get both parties in both positions in your answers.

As far as I can tell, the virus doesn't have a preference.
    Pretty much the simple and reasonable truth I'm trying to transmit to that brainwashed drone.

Fuckups are fuckups no matter the side. Trump and his government fucked it up bad, but guess what - vaunted democratic state governments that had all the tools they needed went on and literally did the same fuckup all along.

So I find these baseless claims of some sort of inherent Democratic competence not stand the actual test of reality. If NY would go ahead a do what they (barely) try to do now a week ago - you'd see the numbers half of what they are today and they could do it. They did not need Agent Orange to give them green light for that.

What triggered me is this idiotic attitude where you get a shot of idiots being irresponsible and going on the beach and some retard popping up trying to claim it's all Republicans, because apparently Democrats are some enlightened people totally not doing same fucking shit and worse in CA and NY. Why I bet you can identify Republicans from the beach shot - all Republicans on the beach weak trunks for guys and bikinis for gals.

Fucking derp. Holy crap your country is sick.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-03-19 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Minor Flaming

So I find these baseless claims of some sort of inherent Democratic competence not stand the actual test of reality.
    Democrats weren't the ones in charge of Organizing the CDC and Firing the NSC pandemic Response team, and they were the ones who Saw this coming Much Earlier and tried to do something about it unlike the Trump administration.

Democrats also handled the H1N1 epidemic properly unlike Trump.
    democratic state governments that had all the tools they needed went on and literally did the same fuckup all along.
    That is a lie.

Again State and Local Rely on the CDC, WHO, and the NSC for situations like this.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my question is since we owe a lot of debt to China and since this started in China as in their fault, would it be fair to cancel out some of the U.S Debt or most of it after all this is said and done for damages?

If not why not
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    That's the best response to the several I've seen offered. I want a bidet but some US houses don't have the right plumbing for it. Older the building the pricier instillation can be. :/
    You don't need special plumbing. Bidet attachments for normal toilets are readily available online. You just disconnect the line from your water to your toilet tank, attach the valve that splits off water that goes to the bidet attachment, and then reattach it to the tank. As long as you shut off the water to the toilet first you can install it yourself in 10-15 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    That is a lie.
    That's a truth. Measures implemented by NY government right now, could have been implemented by NY government a week ago, they just needed to open their fucking eyes to what is going on around them and grow a pair - not everything is about $$ and "freedumbz". So cut your crap, buddy.

Get it through your thick skull, incompetence is not a republican-only trait. When there is a crisis it does not matter if your government is red or blue, what matters if its competent or not and it seems you have severe case of incompetence in places of power in all levels regardless of party affiliation in your country.

That's the truth.

Get it through your thick skull, incompetence is not a republican-only trait. When there is a crisis it does not matter if your government is red or blue, what matters if its competent or not and it seems you have severe case of incompetence in places of power on all levels regardless of party affiliation in your country.

That's the truth.
    And you should stick to Israeli Politics because you have absolutely no Clue about America or Americans.

When there is a crisis it does not matter if your government is red or blue
    Wrong, and yes it does especially when Republicans are mostly Anti-Science.

Get it through your thick skull, incompetence is not a republican-only trait.
    Never said that, saying Both Sides in this situation is completely Stupid. NYC is still handling this better then Florida.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-03-19 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I guess my question is since we owe a lot of debt to China and since this started in China as in their fault, would it be fair to cancel out some of the U.S Debt or most of it after all this is said and done for damages?
    No, pay up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Same as happened everyone else. Once it gets going to goes fast. Which is why so many countries took measures while they appeared to be 'fine'. Because waiting until it blows up means your 2 weeks to late.
    It was actually four days, I guess I just compressed the timeline.

But no, 700 to 3000 in four days is not the same as happening everywhere else. Most places are seeing 20-35% increases each day, which means doubling every 3 days or so. NY just almost quadrupled in 4 days.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    And you should stick to Israeli Politics because you have absolutely no Clue about America or Americans.

Wrong, and yes it does especially when Republicans are mostly Anti-Science.
    I have more clue than you do, buddy. You can keep repeating your idiotic slogans and whatever other crap you get put in your brain there all you like, but so far I'd stick to the numbers on the ground and they don't seem to support your BS.

You are literally a blue version of Trump, can't see beyond his nose and absolutely convinced of his own infallibility. If that's what Dems are, then you boys are really fucked as a country - future is fucking bleak, you will keep replacing self-made Trumps every 4 years this way.

I just hope NY exists by then and is not going to become some Mad Max post apocalyptic desert by that time, with this kind of irresponsible attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I'd like to see a photo of those overcrowded parks because somehow I'm pretty sure they are not as crowded as a school with a 1-2k students in it.
    The point isn't that it's more or less crowded than schools. The point is that people are told to exercise social distancing and not to go out in public unless it's necessary and they are doing the OPPOSITE. Getting together in groups and crowding public transport to get to parks for picnics as if this is a holiday and not a national emergency. This from people who "do what they are supposed to do" unlike those Italians (according to the minister of health).

I have more clue than you do, buddy. You can keep repeating your idiotic slogans and whatever other crap you get put in your brain there all you like, but so far I'd stick to the numbers on the ground and they don't seem to support your BS.

You are literally a blue version of Trump, can't see beyond his nose and absolutely convinced of his own infallibility. If that's what Dems are, then you boys are really fucked as a country - future is fucking bleak, you will keep replacing self-made Trumps every 4 years this way.
    What Slogans? That Republicans are Responsible for their Piss Poor Response and Decisions?

What triggered me is this idiotic attitude where you get a shot of idiots being irresponsible and going on the beach and some retard popping up trying to claim it's all Republicans, because apparently Democrats are some enlightened people totally not doing same fucking shit and worse in CA and NY. Why I bet you can identify Republicans from the beach shot - all Republicans on the beach weak trunks for guys and bikinis for gals.
    Again, I was talking about how Republicans were the ones SPREADING misinformation.

And no They aren't doing the same Fucking Shit in CA, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    The point isn't that it's more or less crowded than schools. The point is that people are told to exercise social distancing and not to go out in public unless it's necessary and they are doing the OPPOSITE. Getting together in groups and crowding public transport to get to parks for picnics as if this is a holiday and not a national emergency. This from people who "do what they are supposed to do" unlike those Italians (according to the minister of health).
    My point was that closing schools was the right move.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are people.

We had this shit here too, there are STILL some idiots who think they are invincible or some crap like that. Just yesterday in the news they showed a few cases of idiots gathering for various events, as if you don't have a bloody highly contagious virus that can either kill you or frikkin' damage your lungs for years to come if not permanently.

There were people with literal quarantine order who were caught commuting on trains, as if it was just friendly recommendation. Police started handing out heavy fines of about USD1.5k a pop, so I hope these jokers will get a chill pill fast, especially because repeat offence can lead to actual jail sentence.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-19 at 12:45 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    You don't need special plumbing. Bidet attachments for normal toilets are readily available online. You just disconnect the line from your water to your toilet tank, attach the valve that splits off water that goes to the bidet attachment, and then reattach it to the tank. As long as you shut off the water to the toilet first you can install it yourself in 10-15 minutes.
    See my later response. My bathroom has awkward spacing and the toilet is old and janky. If I could do that right now I would.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    My point was that closing schools was the right move.
    Closing everything that has a potential for gathering of more than 10 people is the right move. The only exception should be food and basic necessities stores.

As a matter of fact, what really should be done is a honest to goodness full lockdown for 14 days, where one is only allowed to go out of house with a signed permit to buy food and meds.

There needs to be put hammer down hard and fast, otherwise healthcare system will implode and you will have Italy on your hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

If not why not
    While theoretically they could, it's more of trust in the system. Economics work only if the trust in the system is in place. If you can't trust that your bonds are going to be repaid then no one will work with you. Similarly like with china, the abuse of the system may eventually collapse the system too. With 4x reported debt to a questionable GDP when it comes to repay the debt it'll collapse on itself. Granted there can just be other factors for it to collapse on itself. International economics is quite an interesting cluster fuck.

should we wait until hundreds are dying?
    I don't believe that it's a matter of "when" but a matter of "if."
    can we look at what other countries are doing? italy is the size of a large state in population iirc.
    If I recall, Italy also has the largest population of old people compared to the rest of the EU.