Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    "Hero Races". HAHAHAHAHA.

90% of them are lazy reskins.

It would be cool if they were locked behind challenging content or a decent questline.

Nah grind thousands of shitty world quests. Literally the lowest effort content Blizzard has ever implemented into the game. Not only this - you can't do the grind in one day. You are time-gated daily by a limited number of these shitty quests.
    Yeah, Netherwing rep also takes a couple weeks from what I remember. And you are timegated behind 3 dailies that require you to kill low level mobs and gather some crystals. Still in the game. Even though it's been like 10 years+

Not sure how many allied races you've unlocked, but many of them are indeed locked behind moderately long questlines/scenarios. If you don't like the visuals, no one is forcing you to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Hopefully never.

There is nothing wrong with "hero" races that have requirements to unlock.

And the argument "but I can't be asked to farm old content for a reward...." is completely BS. If you want a Netherwing Drake in 2020, you go to Outland and you farm that rep for it. Same here. It's a cosmetic reward.
    I mean, Nether Drake was not advertised as an expansion feature now, was it? Kinda dumb comparison. Also what ass did you pull "Hero Races" out of? It's not a cosmetic reward at all. The nightwarrior NE skin is a cosmetic reward. And how do you get that? Talk to some NPC in Stormwind, tadaa. Allied races should have been Part of BfA right out of the box, like every other race.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I mean, Nether Drake was not advertised as an expansion feature now, was it? Kinda dumb comparison. Also what ass did you pull "Hero Races" out of? It's not a cosmetic reward at all. The nightwarrior NE skin is a cosmetic reward. And how do you get that? Talk to some NPC in Stormwind, tadaa. Allied races should have been Part of BfA right out of the box, like every other race.
    And now we are pulling another BS argument "if something is advertised as a feature of the game it should be given to me for free". No one ever said you are supposed to get things without working for them in games. Keep regurgitating the same old BS, allied races were introduced as something you have to unlock and it doesn't seem this will be changing any time soon.

Yeah, Netherwing rep also takes a couple weeks from what I remember. And you are timegated behind 3 dailies that require you to kill low level mobs and gather some crystals. Still in the game. Even though it's been like 10 years+

Not sure how many allied races you've unlocked, but many of them are indeed locked behind moderately long questlines/scenarios. If you don't like the visuals, no one is forcing you to get them.
    Hahahaha.

Imagine comparing multiple playable races to a single mount from a rep farm.

Not only that - it was a different type of rep farm. One of the first unique ones in the game.

Not a generic farm thousands of WQs rep. Like everything we have in BfA.

See the Bee mount in Stormsong for a second way of doing a Netherwing style rep. Or the Cloud Serpent in MoP.

Fuck me the fanboys really are reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
    Hahahaha.

Imagine comparing multiple playable races to a single mount from a rep farm.

Not only that - it was a different type of rep farm. One of the first unique ones in the game.

Not a generic farm thousands of WQs rep. Like everything we have in BfA.

See the Bee mount in Stormsong for a second way of doing a Netherwing style rep. Or the Cloud Serpent in MoP.

Fuck me the fanboys really are reaching.
    Netherwing rep is doing dailies, there's just more dailies opening when you reach higher rep levels, what the hell do you consider unique about it. It's basically the same as 90% of reputations until Legion. Any WQ-based reputation is about 10 times more varied and interesting.

And yeah, imagine comparing them, because both are just visual changes for your character. True, a race is something more fundamental, but it's still just looks.

If there are pets, mounts, and even classes (dk, dh) that have requirements tied to them, there is absolutely no reason that the same couldn't happen to races.

PS. Netherwing drake is just one example. Same could be said about any mount and/or any other item that has a rep requirement on it. And there's hundreds of those.

And now we are pulling another BS argument "if something is advertised as a feature of the game it should be given to me for free". No one ever said you are supposed to get things without working for them in games. Keep regurgitating the same old BS, allied races were introduced as something you have to unlock and it doesn't seem this will be changing any time soon.
    Not for free. Because WoW expansions are not free. You paid real money for it, that's your price. I absolutely loathe people like you, who define their value as a person by some meaningless ingame achievement because they have little more to offer and thus spoil nice things for everyone else because the justify Blizzards timegating policies. Yes, I unlocked all Alliance races. But what if I want to play Horde, because Horde gets all the cool races nowadays? Better spend a few days leveling a new throwaway toon, get equipment and farm dailies for weeks, just to then again level the race you actually wanted. So you just spend a month doing absolutely nothing of value, just to get to play the race you actually wanted. Very fun game design indeed. Oh, or I could just get a faction change and thus convert my reputations to horde-equivalents. Then I can play my wanted race right from the start. I just have to pay Blizzard even more money, yeah! And people like you are the cause for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Not a single one of the reps are a hard grind. Probably the most annoying unlock is the Robit Gnomes, and that is because it requires ONE run of Mechagon. Also this last week we literally add 75% rep increase so anyone who cared unlocked their stuff last week. I personally hope they leave them up indefinitely, it is one minor wall that encourages people to play content.....

Next people will ask when they can boost an allied race and get the Heritage Armor by default.
    On the other hand though, for new players it can be a daunting prospect. There is a reason they will be implementing a level squish.

It's common to see people catching up on the old content between the patches. From a business perspective it would only make sense to keep it as it is.

5+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully never.

There is nothing wrong with "hero" races that have requirements to unlock.

And the argument "but I can't be asked to farm old content for a reward...." is completely BS. If you want a Netherwing Drake in 2020, you go to Outland and you farm that rep for it. Same here. It's a cosmetic reward.
    There is one problem with your "mindset" right there.... Allied Races are what its call "an EVERGREEN System". That means its going to be relevant on the game "BEYOND" the Expansion and as Allied Races are an "EXPANSION FEATURE", being also a relevant content, probably on 9.1 all allied races are going to be unlocked, after people already played the first 3 monts, because they will be still relevant, yet people are going to spend 90% of the time playing on Shadowlands instead of World questing on BFA.

Probably the only ones that are not going to feel this problem will be the new players that are going to level up from 10 to 50 on BfA (new players) and probably return just for the rep, but you cant "FORCE" people to do cntent for Races that should be unlocked, worse for the people who wants the Legion AR btw.

I hope they keep it as it is. So hopefully never.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Not for free. Because WoW expansions are not free. You paid real money for it, that's your price. I absolutely loathe people like you, who define their value as a person by some meaningless ingame achievement because they have little more to offer and thus spoil nice things for everyone else because the justify Blizzards timegating policies. Yes, I unlocked all Alliance races. But what if I want to play Horde, because Horde gets all the cool races nowadays? Better spend a few days leveling a new throwaway toon, get equipment and farm dailies for weeks, just to then again level the race you actually wanted. So you just spend a month doing absolutely nothing of value, just to get to play the race you actually wanted. Very fun game design indeed. Oh, or I could just get a faction change and thus convert my reputations to horde-equivalents. Then I can play my wanted race right from the start. I just have to pay Blizzard even more money, yeah! And people like you are the cause for that.
    I don't define my value as a person by unlocking and owning allied races, not sure how you came to this ridiculous conclusion

A lot of stuff gets outdated in this game, gear, raids, progress. I don't care about that because I'm having fun as I go. Trust me, I wouldn't lose sleep over people getting the races without working for them.

It's just...there is literally no issue with some races requiring reputation. They have been introduced as those special races with special requirements, and they should remain so, or the whole feature loses its point. True, you can't play the race you want from the start, because apparently you want to place a race that requires work to unlock. Tough luck.

No, wow expansions aren't free. Much like any other game in the world. You probably see lots of stuff on game boxes, including sometimes final bosses of those games. Do you get handed the final boss kill for free just because you bought the game? No, you aren't. Do you receive the best items for free, just because they are advertised on the box? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    There is one problem with your "mindset" right there.... Allied Races are what its call "an EVERGREEN System". That means its going to be relevant on the game "BEYOND" the Expansion and as Allied Races are an "EXPANSION FEATURE", being also a relevant content, probably on 9.1 all allied races are going to be unlocked, after people already played the first 3 monts, because they will be still relevant, yet people are going to spend 90% of the time playing on Shadowlands instead of World questing on BFA.

Probably the only ones that are not going to feel this problem will be the new players that are going to level up from 10 to 50 on BfA (new players) and probably return just for the rep, but you cant "FORCE" people to do cntent for Races that should be unlocked, worse for the people who wants the Legion AR btw.
    I don't really see where that problem with my mindset is. Right since my first reply in this thread I've been giving an example of old expansion mounts. These are also "evergreen". You can jump on your netherwind drake and ride it while doing island expeditions. So in a way, they are still usable, useful, relevant, and might be coveted by some people. Yet all the original requirements remain. And there is nothing wrong with that. So yes, people will have to stop playing the current expansion, and go to old content and get them. Just like with every other reward from old expansions ever.

Honestly, I think that people are only whining so loud here because deep down they realize that an allied race is absolutely no different than any other reputation based reward and are trying to scream over the rational arguments that everyone, including them, knows.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-03-24 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    No sympathy; I've had to do four of these grinds now.
    Well aren’t you a selfish little brat

Wow, this is a new and interesting topic that hasn't been beaten to death.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Not an insult, but what is wrong with some of you?
    Being conditioned to accept a new race being the "reward" at the end of a grind?

NO. WAKE UP PEOPLE. I accept grinding, make everything in wow 100 times slower I don't care. But why the journey of the character I like to grind with be a reward for a grind of some other characters? Seriously guys, come on. Have Mercy On New Players. What is going on here?!
    Last edited by gobio; 2020-03-24 at 03:13 AM.

I imagine the first step in eventually removing all the rep requirements would be making the rep available through Timewalking rep tokens when the expac becomes available through Timewalking. I don't think we'll see those restrictions altogether lift before that, unless an expansion with a Cata-like revamp is done again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd
    for new players it can be a daunting prospect
    It also sucks -- hard -- if you end up having to reroll. I'm going to be switching to EU servers after having been on Chinese servers from the start. Since I cannot move the account, that means a reroll. While RAF offers a bit of relief for XP, I'm screwed on collections, flight, and now Allied Races. *Not* a fun prospect.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Never. They wouldn't be Allied Races if they weren't unlocked like that.

They're unlikely to change it. Precious MAU's and all that. And they don't love going back and fixing old stuff (see Silvermoon for an example)

In an expansion chock full of half-assed ideas, this one still sits in the top 5. When MoP came out, if players were told that pandaren were only playable after an unlock, the complaints would have been deafening, and they'd have been absolutely correct.

A few WQs aren't going to kill you.