Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I want fire dk so badly and with this and other badass Bolvar pics blizz trolling me over and over again

Because Wrath Of The Bolvar.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are going to make him a Dadghar of Shadowlands. Yet another neutral character you can relate to, to support the combined effort.

It's ok, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    He's this expansion's Khadgar
    But Khadgar was actually powerful...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Because he is the face of the expansion.

/thread.
    ... that still leaves the original question. WHY?

There are several reasons why he is relevant now.

1) Being the "former" Jailer of the Damned, wearing the helmet that might or might not belong to the actual Jailer (I find it perfectly fits that harness the Jailer wears on his shoulders.

2) Seemingly the role of the Lich King was not just preventing the Scourge to go on a murder spree, but the Helmet somehow controlled the veil between life and death.

3) He seems to be more aware of the Shadowlands, glimpsing into them. Probably not anymore, but his knowledge will be useful.

4) Now where we get two-handed Frost back, he won't be reduced to auto-attacking and Remorseless Winter, so he should be stronger.

5) We had his daughter Taelia introduced in BFA, who might or might not become Anduin's queen and might or might not be Calia's daughter as well. I would be very disappointed if there is no interaction between Bolvar and her (preferably with an updated model for the poor girl)

I don't think we need a rematch between Bolvar and Sylvanas though. As the leader of the Ebon Blade I will gladly deal with this trash tier banshee that gives all us undead a bad reputation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Dude, we in legion had to stick with Maghata, the one who fucking kill Cairne and almost hijacked mulgore, do you think blizzard these days care, they go for the rule of cool.
    Urgh, don't remind me. As a tauren shaman I wanted to set aside my peaceful side and wring her neck so bad when that happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post

What "why"? You seen the opening trailer?

The guy has beef with Sylv AND he's the only guy on Azeroth aside from Bobsalami and maybe Odyn that has any idea what's going on over there, but the entrance to Shadowlands is right above his princess castle.

It's not about "powa", it's about knowledge and circumstances. We're the muscle, he's the guide.

Dumb question.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why not?

He, and his helm are the catalyst of this expansion.
    He is our connection to the Shadowlands and the reason why we enter it in the first place.

Not to mention that his sole purpose is shielding Azeroth against the dead.
    Last but not least, people like him as a character and he looks badass.

So?
    Last edited by Raetary; 2020-07-09 at 09:37 AM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Lore reasons be as they may, the truth is they need a marketable character that will universally appeal even to people who don't know anything about him. Historically, nothing works better than a big dude with a huge weapon.

It's more about knowledge than power. He may be weaker than Sylvanas, but that doesn't mean he can't be a strong ally.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because hopefully they actually show that he is powerful and retract a bit of the dumbfuck decision to make Sylvanas somehow as powerful as they have.

becauae he looks cool, is a recognisable character from wows peak subscribers and main figure in the Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Lorewalker Cho was pretty much the face of MoP. Is he powerful?
    Not powerful, but very intelligent and other than Bolvar he is not portrait as a badass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Lore reasons be as they may, the truth is they need a marketable character that will universally appeal even to people who don't know anything about him. Historically, nothing works better than a big dude with a huge weapon.
    Yes. I get that. But they decided that they do not him to be appealing with the trailer. That's my whole point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Why not?

He, and his helm are the catalyst of this expansion.
    He is our connection to the Shadowlands and the reason why we enter it in the first place.

Not to mention that his sole purpose is shielding Azeroth against the dead.
    Last but not least, people like him as a character and he looks badass.

So?
    Do people really like him after the trailer? Was not my impression tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Not powerful, but very intelligent and other than Bolvar he is not portrait as a badass.
    Lorewalker Cho had knowledge.

Bolvar is the same - he knows what's out there more than anyone else you could find on Azeroth, except for Bwonsamdi, he's the guide and he's also invested into the whole thing from the get go for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Flashback to some blizzard office years ago

"So after the Old God Expasion we're gonna do the Slyvannas Death Expasion pack?"

"Yeah so what characters could we use that fit in with the death theme?"

"Working with the Lich King could be fun"

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Except a cute girl with a huge weapon. But the negotiations about using my DK as the main character for SLs ended when they told me I had to get beat up by Sylvanas first. Not worth it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that the "Bolvar overcomes Sylvanas" arc is a possibility that was set up through the cinematic. The problem in my opinion is, that the ad material already pictures him as a mighty powerhouse, while he actually is completely powerless and broken right now. The trailer showed us a weakling who neither was cunning nor strong enough to stop Sylvanas (and again, it was not even close, more like a child fighting Ali in his prime).
    If you go for the redemption arc don't show him leading an army or show him in battle - we already know he failed in both of those things and is no match for bigger characters.
    Instead show him pondering. Show him on his quest for MOAR POAH.
    Simply showing pictures of him being badass while everything in the lore right now contradicts it feels just really, really off.
    We don't know that for sure.
    He was strong in the cinematic, but again, you're ignoring the fact that Sylvanas has been buffed to shit by the literal Jailer in the Shadowlands, an arguably far more powerful character than the Lich King on Azeroth ever was.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm sorry, do you somehow know the entire story of SL? Who's to say he's not to become an important character?

- - - Updated - - -

Was Magni powerful? He's just a dude that's made of diamond.

He'll probably do more later on. We are just exploring and meddling in other peoples businesses on release. Plus, he looks cool so it might attract people