Page 1 of 2
LastLast

1250$-1500$ budget gaming PC, already have a gpu

Looking to build a 1250$-1500$ budget gaming PC, I already have a gtx1060 6gb which I plan to upgrade later, so right now I just need the rest of the components. I want my cpu to last for a few years, so I am considering a 3900x which mobo and power unit would go with it?

Also, I don't know much about cooling, are fans enough for it? What should I consider cooling-wise when looking at cases?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any particular reason to upgrade now? Do you need the performance, or just for shits and giggles?

Quote Originally Posted by inthemist View Post
    Looking to build a 1250$-1500$ budget gaming PC, I already have a gtx1060 6gb which I plan to upgrade later, so right now I just need the rest of the components. I want my cpu to last for a few years, so I am considering a 3900x which mobo and power unit would go with it?

Also, I don't know much about cooling, are fans enough for it? What should I consider cooling-wise when looking at cases?
    Do not go with the 3900x.. I know so many cores & threads look cool but srsly.. NO ONE if you do gaming only should go above 3300, 3600x or i5 / i7 10th Gen, everything else is pointless. I'd go with a i5 10600k and call it a day. Paying much less and having so much more performance in gaming only.. makes so much more sense.

youtu. be/2cBzq1muMVU?t =1347 this says everything. (remove Spacebars)

But if you really wanna go that way.. 3900x, any x570 Board from MSI or Gigabyte, any 650 watt psu with gold rating should do it. But i recommend the Asus, Super Flower, Seasonic or BeQuiet Straight / Dark Power PSUs(cuz you want play for the future i guess..)
    Last edited by Rngmonster The God; 2020-07-11 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Any particular reason to upgrade now? Do you need the performance, or just for shits and giggles?
    Yeah, my PC right now is running really slow (after having wow and a few tabs open for a few hours, I have to restart it because it gets so slow). Right now I have a i7 4770 3.4GHz and just 8GB ram, and if I were to change the processor, I think it would make sense to change the mobo/psu as well.

So yeah, I need the performance, but could wait one or two months maybe, why do you ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I don't know much about cooling, are fans enough for it?
    If by "fans" you mean air cooling, then yes, air cooling is always enough, water cooling is never necessary unless you're going for a small formfactor... A good tower cooler from, for example, Noctua will perform the same as a comparatively priced water cooler... Provided you have a case large enough to fit it in, get an NH-D15.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rngmonster The God View Post
    Do not go with the 3900x.. I know so many cores & threads look cool but srsly.. NO ONE if you do gaming only should go above 3300, 3600x or i5 / i7 10th Gen, everything else is pointless. I'd go with a i5 10600k and call it a day. Paying much less and having so much more performance in gaming only.. makes so much more sense.
    Yeah, I was just reading more about the 3900x and how it's such an overkill right now. I think I will go with the 3700x, which is still overkill but a lot less expensive and it still should last a while.

Yeah, I was just reading more about the 3900x and how it's such an overkill right now. I think I will go with the 3700x, which is still overkill but a lot less expensive and it still should last a while.
    Thats a good choice. That would be more than enough for the next years. Heck, even 6 cores 12 threads will keep up without any issues the next years.
    If you want a really good air cooler, the Noctua NH-D15 is the choice to go. Its simply amazing. And for RAM, make sure you get atleast 3200, better 3600mhz RAM and atleast 2 sticks (4 gives an additional performance boost but idk how Ryzen can handle 4 sticks out of the box these days). 16gb is enough but you cant go wrong with 32gb (in my location, it does not really cost more going from 16 to 32gb RAM)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, my PC right now is running really slow (after having wow and a few tabs open for a few hours, I have to restart it because it gets so slow). Right now I have a i7 4770 3.4GHz and just 8GB ram, and if I were to change the processor, I think it would make sense to change the mobo/psu as well.

So yeah, I need the performance, but could wait one or two months maybe, why do you ask?
    Well because if you just need it for shits and giggles, then go nuts and buy whatever you want.

Considering what you just said, I'd probably just get another 8gb of RAM and maybe an SSD, and call it a day.

What do you do with your computer though? Just games, or? https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-build-Read-me!

7+ Year Old Account
    If you want a CPU that will last a long while either the 3800XT or the I7-10700k are both exceptional choices ( pretty much same price but AMD has it's own cooler ). Yes overkill, especially as you will be bottlenecked thanks to your GPU, but longevity will far greater then 3700x

It makes sense for the MOBO, but unless you have problems with your PSU it's not worth changing, depends on your current model though.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a good choice. That would be more than enough for the next years. Heck, even 6 cores 12 threads will keep up without any issues the next years.
    If you want a really good air cooler, the Noctua NH-D15 is the choice to go. Its simply amazing. And for RAM, make sure you get atleast 3200, better 3600mhz RAM and atleast 2 sticks (4 gives an additional performance boost but idk how Ryzen can handle 4 sticks out of the box these days). 16gb is enough but you cant go wrong with 32gb (in my location, it does not really cost more going from 16 to 32gb RAM)
    4 dimms does not give any noticeable performance over 2 dimms, unless you're running a quad-channel CPU, which AM4/LGA1200 are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    If you want a CPU that will last a long while either the 3800XT or the I7-10700k are both exceptional choices ( pretty much same price but AMD has it's own cooler ). Yes overkill, especially as you will be bottlenecked thanks to your GPU, but longevity will far greater then 3700x
    Do NOT get the 3800xt. It's literally just a pre-overclocked 3700x. It's so, SO not worth paying extra for. And it also doesn't come with a cooler

15+ Year Old Account

1. Dont upgrade now, wait for new cpu's etc.
    2. What resolution? 4k you beter get a new vid instead of cpu .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    CPUs are going to be 4-5+ months out. If you need performance, that's a long wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    If you want a CPU that will last a long while either the 3800XT or the I7-10700k are both exceptional choices ( pretty much same price but AMD has it's own cooler ).
    No no no please do not recommend the 3800XT.. its the most pointless CPU in AMD's lineup, its a huge waste of sand and silicone.

4 dimms does not give any noticeable performance over 2 dimms, unless you're running a quad-channel CPU, which AM4/LGA1200 are not.
    That is wrong. 4 dimms increase the performance. I get 10 to 20 (!) fps more when using 4 sticks instead of 2. Ofc that much is not the case for every game, normally its around 2-5 fps. Its just false to say you need a quad channel CPU for it.
    Last edited by Rngmonster The God; 2020-07-11 at 05:27 PM.

Well because if you just need it for shits and giggles, then go nuts and buy whatever you want.

Considering what you just said, I'd probably just get another 8gb of RAM and maybe an SSD, and call it a day.

What do you do with your computer though? Just games, or? https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-build-Read-me!

Yeah just games, I do work as a programmer, but I no multiprocessing or rendering.

Yeah, I think RAM is mostly the issue, was wondering if I were going to have compatibility issues with my old MOBO, would have to check into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    1080p for now, mostly upgrading for performance right now, maybe in the future (1 year or so) I will get 4k monitor/gpu.

- - - Updated - - -

Thx for the RAM and air cooler recommendations, will look at the Noctua.

When its a 4770, then you probably can only use up to 1600mhz DDR3 (thats the case in my "backup system", same CPU and a gigabyte.. h-something mainboard).

I can recommend to look into 1440p and high refresh rate (yes, high refresh rate does wonders in games like WoW too) gaming.
    I've had multiple monitors in the past 4 months (4k60, 4k144, 1440p144, 1440p120 monitors) and i have to say, my 49" 1440p 120hz monitor is so much nicer than a 4k display. I'd get a ultrawide monitor (either 34" or 49") over a 27" / 32" 4k Monitor any day. Its just easier to run and the high refresh rate AND g-sync (compatible) makes everything so much better.
    When i had 50-60 fps in certain games on high-ultra with my setup (8700k OCed to 5.4ghz, 32gb ram, rtx 2080), having 100+ fps on high-ultra AND having high refreshrate is just better in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Temp Name, just get some more RAM and an SSD. No need to upgrade the CPU at this point I'd say, I don't think I found a game yet where the CPU is utilized fully. (I have a 7700k though, not sure how much more powerful it is than the 4770).

N
    That is wrong. 4 dimms increase the performance. I get 10 to 20 (!) fps more when using 4 sticks instead of 2. Ofc that much is not the case for every game, normally its around 2-5 fps. Its just false to say you need a quad channel CPU for it.
    No, it isn't wrong.

If there are only two memory channels, adding more DIMMs wont help performance.

Period.

Full stop.

Its almost like GN and Jay have both done videos in the last year about this topic.

And.. yeah. Unless you're running a quad channel setup, more than 2 DIMM's wont help your performance. But it will, in most consumer motherboards that only have 4 DIMM slots, prevent you from simply adding more RAM in the future, since youll have to throw away perfectly good RAM to add higher density DIMMs.

just get 2x8 and call it a day. Do NOT get a 4x4 kit (if building new).

If you already HAVE, on your current rig, 2x4, then getting another 2x4 is fine, since you're unlikely to be upgrading this existing 4770 rig past 16GB anyway. By the time you might want to, itll be time for an entirely new platform anyway. And since its DDR3, you dont want to buy more than you need as you wont be carrying that forward to a new rig.

The 4770 is still a decent CPU, and you should be able to get another year or two out of it.

If you have the money and want to upgrade, then by all means. But it seems like some of your issues are solvable by adding an SSD and more RAM, and a nuke and pave (as, unless you're very neurotic about keeping the system pristine, cruft and crap will build up in any Windows install and slow things down.) Particularly if you haven't done a reformat in a while. I do a complete nuke and pave/update on my rig every 6-9 months on general principle. THis is made easier, mind you, by having multiple drives. I keep the OS on a smaller SSD, and everything else (incl. Steam Library, et al) on a second, larger SSD.

When its time to nuke, all i have to do is reinstall Windows and download the few things i need to install, and its usually over in less than 45 minutes.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-07-11 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    When its time to nuke, all i have to do is reinstall Windows and download the few things i need to install, and its usually over in less than 45 minutes.
    Nowadays you can just do a complete reset from within windows and either choose to keep files or dont.
    Then you only need to point steam to the new directory or move it back into program files.
    So 2 drives isn't even necessary anymore to be up in running in under an hour like you said. I do it once a year myself.

The 3900X isnt really worth for gaming. Its hardly faster than a 3600 in gaming. If you want a value option then go for a Ryzen 5 3600. Its the best "bang for the buck" as the kids say.
    If you want more performance you should go with intel. The 10600k is a bit faster in gaming than a 3600, but you can spend like 50 bucks more on better RAM to remedy that and still save money.
    Since you are already considering a 3900X which is pretty costy I would recommend a 10900K or even a 9900K if you can still find one. These are basically the best CPUs for gaming out there.

For the cooling solution: basically any cooler between 30 and 60 Dollars will be enough although AMD runs a bit hotter than intel these days. There are very good 100 Dollar air coolers out there but those are only needed of you want to overclock your CPU to the maximum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah just games, I do work as a programmer, but I no multiprocessing or rendering.

Yeah, I think RAM is mostly the issue, was wondering if I were going to have compatibility issues with my old MOBO, would have to check into it.
    As long as you get the correct kind (DDR3), with roughly the same speeds, you should be good.

In what games? Because there's no difference in how quickly you can get the data, since you're limited to dual-channel anyway. And even if you do see a performance gain, it's likely to be within margin of error, so just a fluke.