Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

GOP congressman calls on US House to ban Democrats from chamber due to racism

https://www.kwtx.com/2020/07/23/gop-...-from-chamber/
    https://archive.is/UplNQ
    WASHINGTON (KWTX) – U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler, introduced a resolution Thursday that calls on the U.S. House to bar Democrats from the chamber because of the party’s historical ties to slavery and racism unless the party is renamed.
    The resolution, introduced in response to the Democratic-backed push to remove Confederate-era symbols and statues from the U.S. Capitol, isn’t likely to gain much traction in the Democratic-controlled U.S. House, however.
    Gohmert points out the Democratic Party, the country’s oldest existing political party, defended the rights of states in the years before the Civil War to decide the issue of slavery for themselves and supported the expansion of slavery into U.S. territories.
    After the Civil War the party resisted Reconstruction-era measures from a Republican-controlled Congress to protect the civil and voting rights of blacks and by the mid-1870s Democratic-controlled state legislatures in the South managed to roll back reforms and implement Jim Crow Laws, suppressing black voting rights for decades.
    Democrats pivoted in the 1960s, however.
    After Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, he told his aide, Bill Moyers, “I think we just delivered the South to the Republican Party for a long time to come.”
    Southern support for the Republican Party grew through the 1970s and 1980s, fueled in part by evangelical support for the party’s stand on such social and cultural issues as abortion.
    Gohmert’s resolution calls on the speaker of the House to “remove any item that names, symbolizes or mentions any political organization or party that has ever held a public position that support slavery or the Confederacy from any area within the House wing of the Capitol or any House office building, and shall donate any such item or symbol to the Library of Congress” and says “Any political organization or party that has ever held a public position that supported slavery or the Confederacy shall either change its name or be barred from participation in the House of Representatives.”
    personally this is really dumb. this is the equivalent of monkey poo flinging and why people are getting fed up with both political parties. it be nice if both sides can actually focus on stuff to help americans, like fixing our infrastructure, bringing our troops home from overseas, massive healthcare reform, minimum wage increases, pass the second coronavirus stimulus to help people pay their rent, etc rather than focusing on nonsense like this.

sigh, stuff like this is why i'm a proud milquetoast fence sitter independent.
    Last edited by muffinss; 2020-07-24 at 11:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly people will fall for this stuff. If I was a Democrat I would have immediately gave the House a history lesson on the two parties and the GOPs 'Southern Strategy' to put an end to that nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sadly people will fall for this stuff. If I was a Democrat I would have immediately gave the House a history lesson on the two parties and the GOPs 'Southern Strategy' to put an end to that nonsense.
    rather sure that lesson has been give ad nausium.

His bill reads like the "hur dur Democrat plantation" posts Ive been seeing for over a decade now
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if they want to attach white identity to being a slaveowner they are more than welcome to, cause it's the only reasonable conclusion for the ridiculous argument that taking down Confederate monuments is racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gohmert is a moron. We have known this for many years.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

This isn't the dipshit who brought the snowball into Congress to prove that climate change wasn't real, is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This isn't the dipshit who brought the snowball into Congress to prove that climate change wasn't real, is it?
    No, that was a Republican senator, not a representative.

The fact there are two such individuals in the same party is very telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post

personally this is really dumb. this is the equivalent of monkey poo flinging and why people are getting fed up with both political parties. it be nice if both sides can actually focus on stuff to help americans, like fixing our infrastructure, bringing our troops home from overseas, massive healthcare reform, minimum wage increases, pass the second coronavirus stimulus to help people pay their rent, etc rather than focusing on nonsense like this.

A fence sitter that mostly posts about far right issues.. yeah sure. You mean the fence too the right of the GoP?

I think you are thinking of James Inhofe.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

That would be Jim Inhofe (R-OK):

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    That would be Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
    Oh, right. I knew I recognized Gohmert's name, but they're both creationists who reject climate change...so you can understand my confusion.

Honestly, if anyone should be banned from the House chambers, it should be those who refuse to accept reality. Is it too much to ask that elected officials be able to pass high school science/history classes? Probably...

Democrats are the biggest failure in the history of the US. Democrats support for slavery caused the Civil War. Democrats gave into racists and created segregation. Democrats created massive government dependency that has resulted in a giant federal debt. Democrats divided the country after the brief unity after 9/11. Democrats have created mobs all over the country because of their support for BLM.

So maybe, just maybe the Democrat Party should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Democrats are the biggest failure in the history of the US. Democrats support for slavery caused the Civil War. Democrats gave into racists and created segregation. Democrats created massive government dependency that has resulted in a giant federal debt. Democrats divided the country after the brief unity after 9/11. Democrats have created mobs all over the country because of their support for BLM.

Ah, is it time for your weekly driveby already? Sweet. See you next week, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    rather sure that lesson has been give ad nausium.

His bill reads like the "hur dur Democrat plantation" posts Ive been seeing for over a decade now
    That is Louis "I'm a dumbass" Gohmert for you. The dude is a walking billboard for how dumb people can get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post

Which has fuck all to do with them today. I'm sorry honey, but you are in the same mental category as Mr. Gohmert.

Ah yes, the classic "The Democrats are the REAL racists" play at work.

Because it was really effective for the last n number of times. It's all just kabuki for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post

Yes, when one side keeps doing stupid bullshit, and preventing the other side from trying to work on all the things you mentioned they should work on, its clearly both sides fault.

Good observation my woke independent friend.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol! Awesome.

But you can see why Congress has such a dismal low approval rating. Both sides are guilty of their nonsense.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Wait until he hears about this guy named Donald Trump who tweets white power videos and rehires Neo Nazis to his cabinet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh, right. I knew I recognized Gohmert's name, but they're both creationists who reject climate change...so you can understand my confusion.

Honestly, if anyone should be banned from the House chambers, it should be those who refuse to accept reality. Is it too much to ask that elected officials be able to pass high school science/history classes? Probably...
    Does she not know that the parties are not the same now as they were before/during the civil war? They are different organizations entirely, just using the names of earlier parties. The Democrats then are the Republicans now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

But you can see why Congress has such a dismal low approval rating. Both sides are guilty of their nonsense.
    How is that stimulus coming along? McConnell said republicans will need weeks of bickering? Both sides, ey?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Does she not know that the parties are not the same now as they were before/during the civil war? They are different organizations entirely, just using the names of earlier parties. The Democrats then are the Republicans now.
    They will do anything, other than pass a stimulus. They know it’s bad optics to not pass it, so they are set to string it along in a GOP internal fight, as they pull these stunts instead.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi