Thread: Dota 2 or LOL?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dota 2 or LOL?

Which will you choose and why?

dota 2 atm, used to play league back in high school, got bored of the game (and all the people whom ive played with either quit or swapped to dota aswell)

id say dota has more depth as a game than league, thats probably the reason i prefer it

league had some, in my opinion, unnecessary game systems (runes and masteries)
    Last edited by valky94; 2020-10-04 at 06:26 PM.

I've never played DOTA 2. I played DOTA and LoL and HotS, though I stopped playing LoL when I received a warning for a game during which my connection was unstable and they threatened to ban my account if I disconnected again, and I stopped playing HotS when they pulled support for the HGC in December 2018 with no advance notice given to players after new teams had already qualified for the 2019 league.

From my understanding of the games, the big decision basically comes down to whether you like deny mechanics (last hitting your own minions to prevent the enemy from getting benefit) or not.

League of Legends is entering preseason 11 soon, and let me tell ya, the game's going to shake up everything regarding items. It's going to be the best time to jump in and learn League of legends, because the vast majority of the playerbase is going to be lost, new and old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dota 2.

It's the superior game with a higher skill cap and more depth, much better balancing, no pissing about with rune pages, and you don't have to farm currency (or pay cash) to play heroes.
    I played the original Dota and played LoL until close to the end of Dota 2's beta.

League is better than HotS, Dota 2 is better than League.
    Speciation Is Gradual

This is my opinion.
    League has been declining in quality for a few years now. Riot seems focused on releasing new champions every few months, each with increasing bloat baked into their kit. It seems that the company is focusing on making existing players buy each new champion and play only new champions rather than tuning some of the older ones (looking at you Udyr/Rammus/Kalista etc) and retaining the "popular" pick for old champions. You can't compete when a new champion has the same abilities as others, but stronger. That's exactly what they did with the latest release Samira. The game time average has also significantly decreased, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the player. I personally think it has a negative impact because nowadays I just see people spamming everything off CD in a team fight, as opposed to trying to have a map and situational awareness and coordinating a team fight. (Gold 1 player btw. I know I'm not the best example of a pro, but I feel hard stuck)
    This upcoming season seems to be adding more chaos to the mix with unnecessary new items that have ridiculous effects. I think all of this is happening because Riot learned that URF had more engagement and have started trying to make the base gameplay more like URF. No concern for resource management, chaotic team fights, etc.

Then there are the skins, the introduction of "prestige skins" was really cool...for the first champion. Then every time something new came out, there was another "limited" prestige skin that you had to fork over serious cash for. I have a friend who has shelled out over 7 grand for everything in the game and it's disgusting. Sure Dota 2 has cosmetics, but everything else in the game is accessible from the start. In league, you pay or "earn" new champions. Then you pay for events, skins, emotes, mastery systems, anything beyond the base game. When I started playing, Riot seemingly had a focus on making everything accessible, but now it's just cash grabs. I get it, free to play needs to generate revenue, but it's still grossly excessive.

I know that was a bit of a ramble, but TL;DR

The company is focusing less on existing content, and instead are focusing on what makes the most profit. New champions make old ones obsolete, and the pacing of the game feels terrible compared to older iterations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    League of Legends is entering preseason 11 soon, and let me tell ya, the game's going to shake up everything regarding items. It's going to be the best time to jump in and learn League of legends, because the vast majority of the playerbase is going to be lost, new and old.
    Neat!! I will download it and give it another try

Dota 2 by quite a huge margin. I have played both games, but perhaps I made the mistake of playing dota first as it just made LoL feel like a shallow experience. Dota is a lot more advanced in many ways, and is a far harder game. This of course is great for those who already play and know the game, but makes the new player experience one of most atrocious things you will ever experience in gaming. There is a reason why people call the first 1000 hours the tutorial.

LoL is more casual while Dota is more hardcore. Both games are pretty damn hardcore compared to most other games, and you will feel like strangling your teammates in both games. Aka, both are toxic as fuck.

League of legends

theres a reason its the msot played game in the world

3+ Year Old Account
    DotA 2 has more challenge and stuff; but since I'm a filthy casual I'm more comfortable playing League with less pressure
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

League is definitely the easier of the 2 to pick up.

League is weeks away from a massive shift anyway due to a complete items rework coming.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    Motherboard: X570 AORUS PRO
    Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360mm AIO
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 @ 3600 MHZ
    SSD: WD BLACK SN850X 1TB PCI-E 4.0 M.2
    GPU: Powercolor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

League is more fun imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruion894 View Post
    This is my opinion.
    League has been declining in quality for a few years now. Riot seems focused on releasing new champions every few months, each with increasing bloat baked into their kit. It seems that the company is focusing on making existing players buy each new champion and play only new champions rather than tuning some of the older ones (looking at you Udyr/Rammus/Kalista etc)

Udyr has been receiving a LOT of buffs recently and is receiving more in the upcoming patch (10.21) but the dyr needs a Volibear scale rework to be viable in Season 10+.

Kalista is a pro play menace, extremely toxic design. Only way she can be viable is a full scale rework.

Rammus still has his place in the game.

As for the "kit bloat" let me post a few examples of old vs new.

Champions released in 2020:

Season 1 (2010-2011)Champions:

These abilities are the champion's passive

Riot even thought a healer who could go untargetable was a healthy addition to the game...
    Last edited by AntenoraDK; 2020-10-06 at 12:39 PM.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    Motherboard: X570 AORUS PRO
    Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360mm AIO
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 @ 3600 MHZ
    SSD: WD BLACK SN850X 1TB PCI-E 4.0 M.2
    GPU: Powercolor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

LoL but playing only ARAMs just for fun.
    Last time i cared about ranked games like 5 years ago.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AntenoraDK View Post
    -snip
    speaking of kit bloat, Jayce doesn't even have an actual passive
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Dota 2.

It's the superior game with a higher skill cap and more depth, much better balancing, no pissing about with rune pages, and you don't have to farm currency (or pay cash) to play heroes.
    I played the original Dota and played LoL until close to the end of Dota 2's beta.

League is better than HotS, Dota 2 is better than League.
    This right here.

For me, Dota 2 is the superior game in most aspects. The possibilities in the game, both individually and as a team continues to amaze me. It's definitely not for everyone though, and me and my mates lose pretty much every time we play it nowadays, since we can't keep up with the guys who play regularly.

Had many hours into LOL, and love ARAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AntenoraDK View Post
    Udyr has been receiving a LOT of buffs recently and is receiving more in the upcoming patch (10.21) but the dyr needs a Volibear scale rework to be viable in Season 10+.

Kalista is a pro play menace, extremely toxic design. Only way she can be viable is a full scale rework.

Rammus still has his place in the game.

As for the "kit bloat" let me post a few examples of old vs new.

Champions released in 2020:

Season 1 (2010-2011)Champions:

These abilities are the champion's passive

Riot even thought a healer who could go untargetable was a healthy addition to the game...
    Riot clearly wants to push the direction in a certain way regardless of how it affects the health of the game, most players just play the new champions or the consistently OP ones so they dont really feel the effect of the clear powercreep that's been going on since end of season 4, so few "old" champions are being played these days since they're not taken into account in an ever shifting and changing game.

Hots because nobody has time to just sit there afk and wait for gold for 30 minutes.