Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It doesn't in the slightest, as you've enjoyed the power progression from the last 16 years.
    I enjoyed it thinking that it would be a permanent development for my character, and not something they'd take away from me again when they feel it's convenient for them.

Amazing points, which I disagree almost every single point of!
    Different strokes for different people, I guess.
    I'll go finally enjoy leveling again tomorrow, cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maple Story will suit your needs. Good luck and have fun.

Edit: MMO-C needs a posts requirement before creating new threads.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2020-10-13 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
    Then why even gain levels with every expansion? Why even go from 50 to 60 in Shadowlands? Why even have levels? It is just a number.

This is an RPG, it is about character progression. And you people wonder why so many people leave and the game is a shell of its former self.
    I think they did this so that they could have level 100 as the max level, so we have like 4 expansions left.

Wouldn't you go "hey why am I leveling in the first place"?
    Sounds like a lot of high end PvPers and PvEers already.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if after every expansion they set you back to the level of the previous expansion and then say, here go do those exact ten levels again. Wouldn't you go "hey why am I leveling in the first place"?
    What if after every stupid thread that is made bitching about the same crap that gets your main account flagged, people like you go back to the "create account" screen and then say, here you go let's listen to more nonsensical drivel. Wouldn't we go "hey, why are you on a burner account and why should we even attempt constructively replying to someone like yourself in the first place?"
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by LordTakeo View Post
    Amazing points, which I disagree almost every single point of!
    Different strokes for different people, I guess.
    I'll go finally enjoy leveling again tomorrow, cheers!
    Finally enjoy leveling? You've never enjoyed leveling before, but making it go superfast so it's over in a couple of hours will make you finally enjoy it? You shouldn't play MMOs.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's just it. We don't have to agree but attacking the dude looks petty as crap. Grow up yall. Agree to disagree and move on.

i agree /w scaling suck argument
    recently i've encountered a group of mobs that i've been grinding for a week back in vanilla and nostalgia trip began... i remember them as 51-53 levels and they indeed were 51-51, i cried a little

you can't have that in retail, everything is scaled, nothing has its identity
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Waste of a thread.

"Blizzard did something I don't like, therefore it is a huge mistake I tell you!"

1. The level squish invalidates all the effort we've put into our characters over the last 16 years. We've seen them grow from 1-60, to 70, 80 and eventually all the way to level 120. Now we'll all be set back to level 50 and then go to level 60 again. We've already done that. Why should we level from 50 to 60 again? I know that characters will be deleveled proportionally to what their level is right now, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't change that we are back to a certain level. One thing here invalidates all the effort we've put into leveling even further and that is
    No, no it doesn't.

2. The leveling process from 1-50 after the prepatch is incredibly fast. Way too fast. I remember level 60-70 taking very long back in TBC, and 70-80 also taking very long back in Wrath, but some time after the expansions had been out, that leveling process was shortened immensely. I welcomed it at the time as I'm sure many other players have, but looking back I can only say that it is a mistake to keep making leveling faster and faster. We are now at a point where leveling from 1-50, which is 1-120 right now, will take like 6 hours. Is it a good idea to have an MMO where you can reach max level on multiple characters in a day? All this does is further invalidate the time we all have put into each of our characters. It is no different than when they introduce catch up gear in a patch that is as good as heroic raid gear from the previous patch. It makes people go, wait I put in all this effort and these people get it just like that, just because they joined the game at a later date? This is what you are doing when you are shortening the leveling process. You are telling everyone, who played the game before and invested tons of time into developing these characters that they are basically idiots for having wasted all this time. They could've just waited til you shortened the leveling time for characters. It diminishes our accomplishments.
    So what's the issue? Your preference for a long leveling process has been ignored? Have you considered that you can turn off XP?

You keep talking about being "invalidated" - I'm beginning to think you're not quite sure what that means. Your characters aren't being deleted. New level 60s will not have an asterisk saying "leveled in 6 hours" or "boosted" - because no one really cares HOW people level.

Have you ever done anything in your life, only to pause and think - "Wow, those guys had it easier than me, my accomplishments mean nothing! I QUIT!"

Diminished accomplishment? Was leveling that hard?

3. Changing level ranges for zones is a mistake. And so is level scaling. I was never quite happy with it when they made Outland and Northrend both scale from 60-80. It destroys the identity these zones have. Outland wasn't for level 80, neither was Northrend for level 60. It feels wrong. In the beginning it was nice cause it was different, but it destroys the natural progression of the expansions. You first go to Outland, then you go to Northrend. That is just the way it is, and changing that changes the world and how we experience it. Now we're at a point where level ranges are completely different with Vanilla going to level 25 only (even less time to do Vanilla zones) and then TBC going to 27...? What kind of nonsense is that. The way they destroyed the natural progression of expansions we're now at a point where you need to do Chromie Time to level, because who is gonna go to Outland for 2 levels, to Northrend for 3 levels, etc.
    There are legitimate issues to be discussed around scaling and its impact on game play. But here it seems you're grasping at emotional, nostalgic straws that have no material impact on gameplay or player experience.

This is utter nonsense.
    I concur.

Level scaling is bad, because of many reasons. It completely destroys progression, when a mob levels up together with me and sometimes, because of scaling, I actually end up having a harder time defeating it than before, because of the way things scaled. This happens all the time. Mobs should have a certain fixed level. You go to Ashenvale, and things are level 20-30, and you peek into Felwood and see a level 50 bear ready to maul you. You level up to close the gap between you and that mob, and eventually, even outlevel him. Sure some of this still exists in some form. Not everything scales from 1-50, but it might as well. Because the identity of everything has already been destroyed.

Some people will say, well, level scaling is good because we outlevel things so fast. But why is that? Let's go back and look at number 2. This is a problem Blizzard has created, because they made leveling so fast. You wouldn't outlevel a zone if the pacing wasn't completely off. And the level squish will only make it worse. Because you'll still reach the next level superfast, there's just gonna be even less levels.
    Didn't you want a challenging leveling process? A scaled leveling process pre-current content makes a TREMENDOUS amount of sense, and allows people to group way more easier than ever before. If you cannot understand why scaling old-content is a useful change, I can't help ya.

No one wants to spend 2 months leveling. Or two weeks. Leveling isn't a race, you can take your time and do things at your pace. That said, MOST people don't want their second leveling experience to take forever, just because of some false concept of depth.

I just can not help but feel like we are about to experience a second Cataclysm. The world forever changed with the Cataclysm prepatch, and I think people will look back and only then realize that maybe they didn't understand what they were in for.
    Noted. This is obviously not the case, and your premises seem to lack any sort of critical thought and are fueled by emotionally charged nostalgia, and a feeling of losing some kind of power (that you never really had) by experiencing the "old way."

Here's the cool part - the style which you described is available with an active subscription called WoW: Classic. Check it out.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

I enjoyed it thinking that it would be a permanent development for my character, and not something they'd take away from me again when they feel it's convenient for them.
    It hasn't been taken away. The numbers have changed, but your current decked BfA character is still far stronger than a lower leveled one. Power levels haven't moved at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the game is no longer for you. You have two options now: Quit or go to Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

What if after every expansion they set you back to the level of the previous expansion and then say, here go do those exact ten levels again. Wouldn't you go "hey why am I leveling in the first place"?
    What if every expansion invalidates the gear you have obtained previously and you have to grind for gear again that essentially does nothing but make the current content easier and do that every single expansion? You see where I'm going with this? Your argument is pointless and hypocritical. You argue some parts of the game yet neglect to be irritated about other aspect when it's essentially the same.

Why do you get gear if it's useless in 6 months? For character progression. You answered yourself.

You can mock this post all you want, but in a few years, people will look back at what put the final nail in the coffin of WoW, and it will be this patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Why do you get gear if it's useless in 6 months? For character progression. You answered yourself.
    Yup. Its like renting a suit for an event. lol

You can mock this post all you want, but in a few years, people will look back at what put the final nail in the coffin of WoW, and it will be this patch.
    This has been said about every single fucking patch, every expansion, every feature and every change Blizzard has ever made to the game.

We're not mocking the post.

We're challenging your assertion.

You're not a victim.

Nor a martyr. Relax bro.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    I don't anymore. That's the point. I'm an altoholic. I like to level characters and at max level, I often do not do much with them, exactly because gear will be invalidated with the next patch anyway. In the same way they take our borrowed powers away with every expansion. Level has been immune to that until now. At least levels were something that would stay that way forever. That's over now.