Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I actually like the pacing now. A lot of options on what to do besides the raid ready stuff. When M+ comes out I'll be able to do more of that than having to wait for later after I finish my dailies for the day

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    I actually like the pacing now. A lot of options on what to do besides the raid ready stuff. When M+ comes out I'll be able to do more of that than having to wait for later after I finish my dailies for the day
    Agreed. I don't feel like i'm going to burn out on one character which is a first in a long time since MOP (WoD was HORRID with the overall garrison/world/daily infinite grind that felt endless).
    Every thread is like entering an LFR with 5 stacks of determination. -Compstance

The mental image of the southpark fat nerd comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    i already quitted, i did not even last a week. The time gating just sucks.
    Good. Make sure to delete your account here. Nobody here actually cares if you quit.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    To be fair, these aren't the only two options. Blizzard has only been restricted to these two options by insisting on a design that is completely based on immediacy. This is the result of removing as much downtime from the game as possible. Downtime paces content.
    We never have pure A or pure B. During BfA/Legion you had moment to breathe from time to time, in SL checking everything from weekly list still takes few days (let's say Renown weekly, raid clear, doing 4xM+ for 2 choices, Torghast clear).

It's not WoD where you could just raid log. Also, some Legion/BfA style grinds were moved to cosmetic content (I think it's obvious that Anima was designed as next AP/Azurite on first SL draft few years ago), not mandatory but still something to do when you're bored. And when you log on alts, you don't have wall of chores that were designed to keep you playing on main.

I don't know if Blizzard hit exact sweet spot between grind and 'nothing to do', but they are damn close.

10+ Year Old Account
    that makes no sense? the chores comes from the time gating? I wanted to do my covenant progression, however om not allowed that, i have to wait until next week to continue. This creates a system where i HAVE to do it every single week, otherwise im going to miss out.

The more of these systems they create, the more do i have to make sure to do my chores.

- - - Updated - - -

the issue is that we are paying a sub to a game that we cant play. The only reason they do this is to make sure that people stay subbed.
    As the orange man likes to say "WRONG!"

The only reason it is gated is because people will nolife anything they are given access to immediately and burn out. Blizzard has repeatedly said in the past that gating is largely to protect obsessive players from themselves. Also the gating is not bad at all, every week more stuff opens. As for chores, this expansion has far less chores, and no endless grind so it allows people to do what they want instead of what they feel they need.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Yeah, the time gating seems a bit extreme, and the lack of ability to gear outside of doing Mythics is kind of odd to me.

Professions are only useful for a single item.

It's still magnitudes better than BFA, but there should be some way to gear up on your own accord.

10+ Year Old Account
    well ofc you will not have blizzard saying "we want more money, so we are limting your playtime so that you will stay subbed for longer."

- - - Updated - - -

well seems like you care?
    Except if they truly wanted our sub only, they would just do fixed drops every month, so everyone logs in one week a month and activates their subs. Gachagames do this style stuff all the time. Blizzards makes the same money if you log in one day a month or every day a month. So this system is not solely focused on keeping players subbed for longer, because if it was, it would be designed entirely differently.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    if they could do that, they would. It's about finding a balance, otherwise people will quit.
    So they are doing the balanced controlled method, that is fair to players and good for their bottomline.......and that is a problem?

well ofc you will not have blizzard saying "we want more money, so we are limting your playtime so that you will stay subbed for longer."

- - - Updated - - -

well seems like you care?
    I care in so much as I'm annoyed seeing whiny posts about people quitting a game I play when I come to a forum looking for information said about said game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been happy with the amount of content. I leveled two characters to max, did all m0s and the other weekly stuff. I max'd their professions, except cooking, and now I'm doing their daily callings and dungeon leveling a tank alt. I like not having any infinite power grind to always be working on, and I can play other games/do something else without any sense of falling behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazze View Post
    17 years and you can't see how the content roll out helped classic tremendiously? That's sad, if anything. Like, the thing you said works in classic, doesn't even exist in classic? Are you that blunt or are you purposefully ignoring that?

What else from classic works so well that isn't in the main game? I bet you can come up with something, spin up some things, pls, it is amusing. Especially coming from a 17 year dev(lmao).

Also, classic was a success. I didn't even disagree here. In the end,barring the hardcore classicists, most people returned to bfa(regarded as the shittiest expansion). So yeah, tell me more about the success of classic.
    Of course the content roll out helped classic. When did I say not to roll out content on a schedule? If you can't see the difference between weekly time gating and patches every few months, I don't really know what to tell you. Have fun with your pointless sophistry and intentional missing of the point I suppose?

Here are some things that work in classic that aren't in retail:
    Class based rather than spec based design
    Toolkit oriented class design rather than prescribed rotations
    Emphasis on strengths and weaknesses rather than uniformity
    Persistent world design rather than phasing and sharding
    Miniature, unrelated stories that paint a world rather than an overarching narrative propelled by a cast of main characters
    Pacing through travel, training, resting, etc..
    Meaningful tradeskills that take a significant investment to level
    No obsession with temporary progressional models

If "most people" returned to BFA, why is classic full of healthy servers and retail was merging servers just a couple of months ago? I'm not saying retail is failing or anything, but the idea that classic had some exodus to bfa is delusional. Sure, a lot of people that came to see what classic was like in the initial wave left, but today we still have far more servers than classic launched with and no population issue, indicating far more people still playing classic over a year later than blizzrd even expected to initially.

The issue here is not that classic is "better" or that retail should be exactly like classic. However, most of retails major problems have roots in how far it was swung in the direction of no longer being an MMO and being more of a cooperative looter. Moving back toward being an MMO would naturally fix a lot of the issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    We never have pure A or pure B. During BfA/Legion you had moment to breathe from time to time, in SL checking everything from weekly list still takes few days (let's say Renown weekly, raid clear, doing 4xM+ for 2 choices, Torghast clear).

It's not WoD where you could just raid log. Also, some Legion/BfA style grinds were moved to cosmetic content (I think it's obvious that Anima was designed as next AP/Azurite on first SL draft few years ago), not mandatory but still something to do when you're bored. And when you log on alts, you don't have wall of chores that were designed to keep you playing on main.

I don't know if Blizzard hit exact sweet spot between grind and 'nothing to do', but they are damn close.
    I think the problem is that predictable time gating never feels like a good way to get there. Unpredictable time gating can work better, and pacing is the real solution.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Greatest expansion ever, Blizzard's truly outdone themselves this time. All ya WoW haters trying to kill it got a lot on your plate. this expansion is absolutely fantastic.

I spent the day doing normals yesterday trying to get 1 ilvl point from 154 to 155 so I could try a heroic and did not.

I am not saying that is good or bad, but it is what it is.

There were no WQs for any gear for days. My only other option was buying gears from AH. I had already gotten all good quest related gear.
    In the past I could get 1 ilvl point at the start of an expansion in about 1 hour (on a bad day). I did roughly 9 or 10 of the normals.
    I even had a friend come along that traded me a much needed trinket, INT on a STR class also something I have rarely had to do to cheat ilvl.

I'll try again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Then you end up with classic where you grind 15 hours a day for a week and then raidlog the rest of the patch because there's nothing to do.

Time gating is fine, it allows you to play multiple characters and actually play the game for more than a week. If you want a game where you can play through the whole thing in a week and then never touch it again there's hundreds of single player games for that. MMOs are not the genre for you.
    Wht you describe sounds like something i much prefer over the small portion weekly gatings we have now.

When i new game launches (or a new tv show for that matter, or a new book), i want to binge it!
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I spent the day doing normals yesterday trying to get 1 ilvl point from 154 to 155 so I could try a heroic and did not.

I am not saying that is good or bad, but it is what it is.

There were no WQs for any gear for days. My only other option was buying gears from AH. I had already gotten all good quest related gear.
    In the past I could get 1 ilvl point at the start of an expansion in about 1 hour (on a bad day). I did roughly 9 or 10 of the normals.
    I even had a friend come along that traded me a much needed trinket, INT on a STR class also something I have rarely had to do to cheat ilvl.

I'll try again tonight.
    did you buy cheap but very efficient for early endgame 200 itlv darkmoon deck ? also did you buy extremly cheap 151 gear from AH ? for like 50k you could have gonne easy 4-5 itlv from there alone.

WoW needs some level of time gating or else I would he forced to do literally everything week one. No thanks. I think there is a balance that needs to be made though. So far I dont really see any glaring things that I wish wasn't timegated or isn't reasonable.

Only thing is to uograde honor gear past 171 you need renown level. Not sure why your covenant determines if you can upgrade your pvp gear???
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-12-02 at 10:03 AM.

bro, get a break from wow! works like a charm
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    What is time gated?
    Time gating = unlock content after a specific time.

Like last week you could push your covenant to rank 3. If you wanna push it to rank 4 or higher you need to have to wait for this week.

You couldn craft your legendary last week, cause you lack of soulash. This week you cant farm more soulash and are able to craft your legendary.

And some people are mad to wait vor Events/Unlocks.

The amount of content available week 1 was just about perfect. First time ever I managed to level an alt and get it running so early in to the expansion because you can skip the story on your second character and there's no endless forced grinds like isles.