Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So lemme get this straight.

A broke ponzi scheme guy, pays smugglers to smuggle this rock nobody gave two shits about into the USA. He then has people steal it from said place when that doesn't work he (again broke Ponzi scheme guy) buys into the smithsonian at a partner level to again steal this rock.

1) How did he fund this
    2) How did he find out about the rock
    3) Why such a convaluted method to get the rock
    4) How / Why was he so convinced he could become said rock
    5) How was a man who'd clearly done this much research about said rock, only wish to control oil at the beginning? Why not get trick bill gates become the richest guy ever and boom, done. No more wishes needed.
    6) In what world is the cheetah the apex predator, not a tiger, lion, shark etc.
    7) we could literally go on for ages.

Such a godawful bad movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    So lemme get this straight.

A broke ponzi scheme guy, pays smugglers to smuggle this rock nobody gave two shits about into the USA. He then has people steal it from said place when that doesn't work he (again broke Ponzi scheme guy) buys into the smithsonian at a partner level to again steal this rock.

1) How did he fund this
    2) How did he find out about the rock
    3) Why such a convaluted method to get the rock
    4) How / Why was he so convinced he could become said rock
    5) How was a man who'd clearly done this much research about said rock, only wish to control oil at the beginning? Why not get trick bill gates become the richest guy ever and boom, done. No more wishes needed.
    6) In what world is the cheetah the apex predator, not a tiger, lion, shark etc.
    7) we could literally go on for ages.

Such a godawful bad movie.
    1) He didn't.
    2) He researched it.
    3) Because he needed a way to get it and any other way would have been just as convoluted.
    4) Because he believed it was possible.
    5) The movie is called Wonder Woman 1984, Bill Gates was not yet the wealthiest man in the world.
    6) Apex predator just means the top predator of an area. Doesn't apply to the cheetah, but even the Lion is not the apex predator everywhere it is.

There are legitimate complaints about the movie and you listed 6 that are obviously explained in the movie.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

This movie is a mess, a severe downgrade from the first one. There is zero fucking point in having Cheetah for a really bad CGI fight.
    Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal - all have good performances. Gal improved her performance since the first movie. Pedro Pascal has something interesting going but it's wasted on a shit script with terrible pacing.
    Steve Trevor coming back with these 'mechanics' ... what the fuck? Everyone gets to materialize their wish out of thin air but he gets to steal someone's life and she's ok with it? The ending also has bad (more like really stupid) repercussions for the 'DC universe' - if that's still a thing.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2020-12-28 at 04:57 AM.

Just got done watching this movie with the wife and oh boy.....

This movie is a dumpster fire. A HUGE downgrade from the first. I went into this movie with high hopes because of how much I liked the first Wonder Woman. This movie failed to deliver on so many things. The fact that the "villain" of the movie is nothing but an ancient wish granting artifact and nothing more. And how everything was ultimately solved by expecting people (literally everyone on the planet) to just be selfless and good. It's hilariously bad writing.

And having Steve come back served what purpose? Other than to simply give a reason for Diana to struggle in a situation that she otherwise would have been able to curbstomp in a matter of seconds.

And the fact that the movie tries SO HARD to portray all men as douchebags is absolutely cringe worthy. The movie tries to be so woke, but fails so hard at the same time. It's fucking pathetic and insulting.

It's just a......very, very bad movie.

The ONE redeeming feature of this movie is that it seems Gal Gadot is actually becoming a decent actress. She was able to effectively convey emotion in this one and didn't seem like the stone statue that she was in prior movies.
    Last edited by nuffisenough; 2020-12-28 at 04:57 AM.

Movie was garbage. The only thing it really did was bridge the gap in from the JL WonderWoman from the orginal movie superhero. The gap where she lost her one true love (or however you want to phrase it), and her getting over that person to become the iconic superhero she is.

That said, and as first said, movie was garbage. Actors were fine, just not much they can do with a script/plot/storyline that is cringe bad. It also seems like the director could've done some things that made it better and not bad 80's. As others have said, Kristin Wiig serves no purpose other than the endgame fight scene and decent eye candy. The majority of the CGI also just wasn't up to par with todays superhero movies. My guess is they knew they had garbage and didn't want to overdo the budget for CGI on a bad movie.

The only other positive is that Gal Gadot does embody WW better than probably anyone. WW3 definitely needs to figure out what direction they want to go, starting with firing the script writer. I'm 50/50 on the director/producer because it was the same team from WW1.

There is way too much wrong with the movie to get into it all.

My biggest issues;
    -Steve taking over someone else and it not being a plot point legitimately made me uncomfortable.
    -Tone was all over the place.
    -Plot was just too ridiculous, this is partly the tone sneaking in here as well.
    -The ending and certain points are so naive it bothered me. It felt like the writer is simply incapable of understanding emotion, or how others reason or behave.

Clever bits;
    -Kristen Wiig being "typecast" only to have it flipped around on the audience. This will likely go underapreciated as the other issues in the movie drown it out.
    -The wish involving the stone was a decently interesting idea.

And the 2 biggest plot holes in the movie:
    -what did it cost the scientist guy who got the coffee?
    -if the fat English lady died immediately after her wish to have all the Irish sent back go Ireland, who will pay the price for her wish?

Am I the ony one who didn't care for the first movie either?

Like, it was so trope-y how she fell in love with literally the first dude she ever meets, and then uproots her whole life to go with him and save him and so on, and so forth.

And then in this movie it's 70 years later and she's still not over the dude?

Is this supposed to be what a "well-written female character" is supposed to look like? Cause I heard that so much in re: the first movie, especially in reference to Captain Marvel. Frankly, give me Captain Marvel....and I'm a DC guy, not a Marvel guy.

Isnt this the movie where WW rapes a guy?

Yeah.

This movie had issues.

It was watchable, but not exactly memorable.

But once you actually start thinking about it at any length the plot holes start becoming an issue.

And from there you inevitably wound up on the serious moral/ethical issues which are part of the plot, but zero attempts are made to address them.

1. Steve Trevor in another man's body. As far as Diana is aware...she literally just murdered a random nameless engineer guy in a magical human sacrifice to get her boyfriend back, and she doesn't seem to be particularly phased by this, does not try to address it (she's curious about how it happened, but that's it) and then proceeds to have sex with this nameless, handsome engineer guy whose body she hijacked.

I mean... It's not just cringe as fuck, but it's straight up the scheme of antagonists from various The Mummy movies/horror movies.

The movie handwaves this away by putting the guy back in his body, but not because that would have been Diana's objective, nor does it address how random dude feels about vanishing from existence for a few days.

2. Every man in the movie except Steve Trevor, his meat suit and a random homeless guy is a complete fucking creep. Every guy that is ever focused on or has a spoken line in the movie is a fucking leering, drooling creep or obnoxious self centered asshat.

I mean I know we guys can be pretty bad, but I seriously doubt it's that fucking bad.

3. Combine points 1 and 2 and suddenly the movie is doing a lot of dehumanizing. It's not that men are one dimensional or whatnot... It's that their humanity as a whole is erased and the 1 exception just reinforces the rule.

I was YUGE fan on the first WW. It had issues, but it was by far the best DC movie since the Nolan Batman. But this one is a huge miss for me.

It turns Wonder Woman into a brooding boring figure that is seemingly incapable of forming healthy relationships with people around her and whose moral compass is completely broken.

Addendum

The more I think about it, the worse it gets.

It's not just that Diana kills (as far as she is aware) a random dude to get her boyfriend in his body, but then kills her boyfriend to get her powers back. I mean sure, she renounces her wish, but it's never explained or explicitly stated that the outcome of that would be random guy getting his body back.

Steve Trevor might have just poofed out of existence and random guy's meat suit drop dead. The outcome wasn't guaranteed or really even hinted at (unless I blanked out and don't remember some part).
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-12-28 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Isnt this the movie where WW rapes a guy?
    I guess people have to find something to be outraged about.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I'm not outraged. It's just bad writing.

They could have very very very easily made the moral dilemma of the body hijacking and the difficulty of the choice between what is "right and what you want" a thing Wonder Woman actually has to confront and deal with.

Instead of the price she has to be pay for her wish being her principles, they made the price her powers.

There were various paths that they could have chosen to get to the same outcome. They just picked the worst one and wrote it poorly on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I was outraged it was on for two and a half hours. Pretty poor movie all in all.

I mean could she fly in JL? Don't think she could. What about the super gold armour? Was it not ment to be indestructible? You saw 300 spartans beating on it and she was just chillin. Guess omeone with Wonder Woman equivalent strength can just shred it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I was outraged it was on for two and a half hours. Pretty poor movie all in all.

I mean could she fly in JL? Don't think she could. What about the super gold armour? Was it not ment to be indestructible? You saw 300 spartans beating on it and she was just chillin. Guess omeone with Wonder Woman equivalent strength can just shred it.
    300 humans, not some strong mutant kitty, big difference. You do know this is superhero movie with superpowers

Glad to see people's, especially men's, love affair and acceptance of WW as a fEmInIst MoViE, is over. The first one was crap, this one was crap. DCEU back to its true form once again.

But now I'm worried for Shazam 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    300 humans, not some strong mutant kitty, big difference. You do know this is superhero movie with superpowers
    Guess you missed the last part i wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Glad to see people's, especially men's, love affair and acceptance of WW as a fEmInIst MoViE, is over. The first one was crap, this one was crap. DCEU back to its true form once again.

I thought the first one was pretty good. This one tho sheesh.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why u would be worried, there's no kevin feige/jon favreau to pull everything in one direction...dceu movie quality is entirely random.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Guess you missed the last part i wrote.
    No, just that ur surprised by that power difference has an impact makes no sense.
    If the big bad with superpowers is no threat, what is the point?..

10+ Year Old Account

WW 1 was universally liked (especially when put against Cpt Marvel), so was Shazam. Aquaman was above average, Joker was universally acclaimed. Batman is looking decent. So no, I don't think DC is coming back to it's "true form". Although WW 2 is just bad. Eh and there was HQ movie, so maybeeee...
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-12-28 at 02:44 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post

No, just that ur surprised by that power difference has an impact makes no sense.
    If the big bad with superpowers is no threat, what is the point?..
    She said the armour was 'Strong enough to take on the whole world' so yeah i was kinda suprised when it got torn to bits in about five seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    WW 1 was universally liked (especially when put against Cpt Marvel), so was Shazam. Aquaman was above average, Joker was universally acclaimed. Batman is looking decent. So no, I don't think DC is coming back to it's "true form". Although WW 2 is just bad. Eh and there was HQ movie, so maybeeee...
    Joker is a tad different from the others though. It's gritty, realistic and as far as we know right now, not connected to the rest of the DCEU. It's a movie that they decided to connect with a well-known franchise for better spread. It would've worked just as well without a Batman connection.

As for the movies part of the current DCEU however, starting with Man of Steel, I've enjoyed exactly 2 of them. So yes, to me, DCEU movies being bad is their true form.

And Batman "looking decent" is not a viable contribution to the statistics. I'll wait until I've watched it. It's literally another reboot, no more Batfleck. As far as I've heard, they've got the Joker lined up and he will not be played by Joaquin. I hope that's a smokescreen and that The Batman will be rated R and connected with Joker, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-12-28 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I'm not outraged. It's just bad writing.

They could have very very very easily made the moral dilemma of the body hijacking and the difficulty of the choice between what is "right and what you want" a thing Wonder Woman actually has to confront and deal with.

Instead of the price she has to be pay for her wish being her principles, they made the price her powers.

There were various paths that they could have chosen to get to the same outcome. They just picked the worst one and wrote it poorly on top of it.
    The themes of the film were taking short cuts would not bring her happiness or fulfilment and the 80s theme of greed is good, all you need is to want it. The point was to not question the morals until later in the film when she realises she needs to move on and that Steve is gone and she has a higher purpose saving the world than her own happiness and wanting to live quietly with steve

- - - Updated - - -

Joker is a tad different from the others though. It's gritty, realistic and as far as we know right now, not connected to the rest of the DCEU. It's a movie that they decided to connect with a well-known franchise for better spread. It would've worked just as well without a Batman connection.

As for the movies part of the current DCEU however, starting with Man of Steel, I've enjoyed exactly 2 of them. So yes, to me, DCEU movies being bad is their true form.

And Batman "looking decent" is not a viable contribution to the statistics. I'll wait until I've watched it. It's literally another reboot, no more Batfleck. As far as I've heard, they've got the Joker lined up and he will not be played by Joaquin. I hope that's a smokescreen and that The Batman will be rated R and connected with Joker, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Make sure you have a new notebook and pen for 2021 so you can tally up the points and remind us how DC is going and if they are good films or not. We really care about your thoughts on thier entire line up