Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    You’d rather populations not be culled and ruin the ecosystem and then die any way?
    For starters, I have no fear of death itself after so many brushes with it in my life, only the pain of living. And my life itself is pretty hollow. So the ecosystem dying out that way is pretty redundant to me.

And no, I wouldn't want those wolves culled or ANY animals for that matter. I value animal lives more than humans. I've seen the full depths of human cruelty towards animals already through meat packaging documentaries and glimpses of the animal torture market down the rabbit hole. Humans are not worth more than animals. I think the people that at least place human lives over animals in terms of value have not undergone the trials of witnessing real human depravity. It flips your world upside down to know what you might see in the worst movies don't compare to reality itself.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2021-03-09 at 05:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    For starters, I have no fear of death itself after so many brushes with it in my life, only the pain of living And my life itself is pretty hollow. So the ecosystem dying out that way is pretty redundant to me.

And no, I wouldn't want those wolves culled or ANY animals for that matter. I value animal lives more than humans. I've seen the full depths of human cruelty towards animals already through meat packaging documentaries and glimpses of the animal torture market down the rabbit hole. Humans are not worth more than animals. I think the people that at least place human lives over animals in terms of value have not undergone the trials of witnessing real human depravity. It flips your world upside down to know what you might see in the worst movies don't compare to reality itself.
    It’s not humans who would suffer it would be all the other animals of the ecosystem and the wolfs them selfs. Far more animals would die from The ecosystem going out of whack then the cullings kill.

Just being compassionate with no understanding of why these things happen can and does lead to promoting more harm without even knowing it.

It’s not humans who would suffer it would be all the other animals of the ecosystem and the wolfs them selfs. Far more animals would die from The ecosystem going out of whack then the cullings kill.

Just being compassionate with no understanding of why these things happen can and does lead to promoting more harm without even knowing it.
    another problem I will point out is a lot of the people that do these cullings don't justify it with that logic you brought up. They presumably either feel no remorse because they don't see it as more than a job assigned to them or more often have expressed it's "fun" because they enjoy hunting.

Hunting as a hobby is straight up evil.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They killed more than they were permitted to kill. Just because my neighbor has an unused tag doesn’t mean I can bag a buck and say, “He didn’t use his tag though!” If the state needed more culled after the week and those 119 were killed they could have released more quota. Hunters don’t get to decide how much quota they get to take.
    And that would be why I said the problem was stealing from natives.

If 200 needed to be culled and 200 were culled then the killing it self isn’t the problem it’s the taking from the natives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    another problem I will point out is a lot of the people that do these cullings don't justify it with that logic you brought up. They presumably either feel no remorse because they don't see it as more than a job assigned to them or more often have expressed it's "fun" because they enjoy hunting.

Hunting as a hobby is straight up evil.

That I can agree with. Hobby hunting is repugnant to the extreme even if it has its own place funding sanctuary’s in some places.

Ideally hobby hunting would be outlawed and cullings would only be handled professionally but I don’t seem that coming about when there’s money to be made.

7+ Year Old Account
    216 were culled. So even with the stealing from the natives these assholes also overshot the quota.
    Do we really have to pretend that every culling always ends right on the dot? We can’t just say they were in the wrong either way but the culling it self was fine?

Do we really have to pretend that every culling always ends right on the dot?
    A few I suppose could be overlooked...but a hundred?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A few I suppose could be overlooked...but a hundred?
    As I said that’s a stealing from the natives problem not a number killed problem. 200 were meant to be culled so them killing that many doesn’t really matter it’s the fact that they were the natives wolfs that does.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the article.

The wolves are somewhat invasive for a number of reasons that can be cited so culling is permitted. Apparently they also kill dogs. This is not something that only happens in Wisconsin but Wisconsin seems to have regulations that don't exist elsewhere.

Obama first tried to have the wolves removed from the endangered species list but was overruled.

The real concern does not seem to be that the wolves were hunted but how efficient the hunters were. They hit quota a lot faster than expected.

Both sides are pulling numbers and 'facts' out of their ass to make their case. One side saying that the wolf population has increased more than expected and the other saying that maybe the hunters killed a lot of pregnant wolves, which can cause problems in the future.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Hunters in Wisconsin killed more than 200 wolves last week, far exceeding the state’s limit...

---
    Yeah...

Are those healthy wolves or inbred?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hunters in Wisconsin killed more than 200 wolves last week, far exceeding the state’s limit...

---
    Yeah...
    To quote the op.
    The state had set a quota of 200 wolves, with 119 for hunters who applied for permits with the department and 81 set aside to the Ojibwe Tribes under their treaty rights.
    The problem isn't that 200 wolfs were culled the problem is that they took the 81 from the natives.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s both. You’re justifying it after the fact.
    I’m not justifying any thing I’m pointing out that the killing isn’t the problem with what happened it’s the theft that is the problem.

Or Mabye your just against culling or think it has to always be right on the dot?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really have to pretend that every culling always ends right on the dot? We can’t just say they were in the wrong either way but the culling it self was fine?
    The state issued 119 tags, 119 wolves or fewer should have been killed. The whole purpose of tags is to be "on the dot". How they know over 200 were killed I'm not sure, but those without tags should be charged for poaching.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, I’m against go over quotas. As they did in multiple ways. You seem not to care though.
    I care that they took natives wolfs which is why I’ve pointed it out numerous times.

As far as the ecosystem goes I don’t care 200 were set to be culled 200 were culled, I don’t expect every culling to end in the dot every time and I don’t think the extra 16 will have much of an impact.

If you want them to be charged legally for going over sure go ahead, I care more about the ecological impact and that seems to have met what was set.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The state issued 119 tags, 119 wolves or fewer should have been killed. The whole purpose of tags is to be "on the dot". How they know over 200 were killed I'm not sure, but those without tags should be charged for poaching.
    If that’s how the tagging system works then it should be enforced to its maximum capability sure, I’ve never said there shouldn’t be any repercussions just that the killing in of it self isn’t the problem it’s stealing said kills.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    This just proves you have no idea how tags work. And nowhere in the article does it actually say the number of tags given out. It says they were allowed 119 wolves, but it does NOT say the number of tags. Typically when tags are given out it's an estimate. For hunting deer And they usually give out 5x the number of tags that actually get killed. So if they wanted 120 deer killed and they would give out about 600ish tags. The success rate is actually quite low. Unfortunately they did not estimate how efficient the hunters would kill the wolves. Once the reports came in that they were killing them so fast, they stopped the culling. The problem is there hasn't been a legal culling of wolves in 7 years. Honestly it's the DNR that F'd up their estimations.

EDIT: this was also done it 3 days. Maybe the DNR didn't get the numbers in quick enough. Maybe hunters didn't report their tags. It's hard to say.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2021-03-09 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leaving this here, so people can understand of having an equilibrated ecosysthem.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you care about the ecosystem you should care when people poach wolves that is outside their quota in any regard. Assholes who go over their quota ruin it for everyone else.
    Sign... again this is why I said they stole the natives wolfs. The problem isn’t that 200 wolfs were killed it’s that 81 of those wolfs were the natives.

I’m not saying that going over the alloyed 119 is ok I’m simply pointing out that the killing of 200 wolfs isn’t the problem it’s that not all of those wolfs were there’s to kill.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    This just proves you have no idea how tags work. And nowhere in the article does it actually say the number of tags given out. It says they were allowed 119 wolves, but it does NOT say the number of tags. Typically when tags are given out it's an estimate. For hunting deer And they usually give out 5x the number of tags that actually get killed. So if they wanted 120 deer killed and they would give out about 600ish tags. The success rate is actually quite low. Unfortunately they did not estimate how efficient the hunters would kill the wolves. Once the reports came in that they were killing them so fast, they stopped the culling. The problem is there hasn't been a legal culling of wolves in 7 years. Honestly it's the DNR that F'd up their estimations.

EDIT: this was also done it 3 days. Maybe the DNR didn't get the numbers in quick enough. Maybe hunters didn't report their tags. It's hard to say.
    I misread "with 119 for hunters who applied for permits with the department" as the number of permits they issued, which is why I thought it should be that or fewer. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It sounds like DNR wasn't allowed to properly conduct their estimate in the first place though due to the Conservatives' lawsuit.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's incredibly sad, but somewhat necessary. Coyotes are actually a much larger issue than wolves, but similar "hunts" are done pretty often to cull the numbers. WAY more coyotes are killed in these hunts because they are more common.

Two distinct issues are at play here though. One is that at least in cities there is a safety issue with coyotes wandering into quite residential areas looking for food. And it has lead to the death of small pets or chickens, enough to make wimpy city folk panic. Wolves are much more rural, but with humans building houses in wooded areas in places like Wisconsin they do cross paths. So the second issue in play are the people that get excited about these hunts just as an excuse to shoot something live. They do the same with deer culling hunts, coyotes, wolves, etc. And they are in their natural habitat that we humans have intruded on not the other way around. Wiping them out so someone can build a 5BR house in the woods and not be bothered by seeing wildlife doesn't seem like the peak evolution of humankind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Americans making sure everything dies on their continent as usual.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I misread "with 119 for hunters who applied for permits with the department" as the number of permits they issued, which is why I thought it should be that or fewer. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It sounds like DNR wasn't allowed to properly conduct their estimate in the first place though due to the Conservatives' lawsuit.
    Yea I mean in hindsight the DNR probably should have issued half of whatever they did, and if they didn't reach their quota released more. But I think they were trying to get the culling done asap. But the fact they decided to do culling in the first place means they think there was too many. It's not like the wolves are now in danger of going extinct or anything. It's just a very unfortunate poor estimations.

I mean there is the whole or part about the culling being done at breeding season and if the it should have happened period. I would be surprised if anyone here gets in legal trouble.