Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Its disappointing that the patch may not be live until August. I wonder if it is just the pandemic that's caused such a delay. Working from home has had no impact on my work, but I don't work in a 'creative industry'. ~Is WFH really having such a huge impact on Blizz?

I think the issue with having a delay at the start of an expansion is that there isn't as much stuff to do - with the end of expansion drought we are all used to, there will at least be stuff from the previous patches to catch up with.

We get WoW news, but it’s for TBC. Even if Classic and Retail are separate teams, they’re at least working together or communicating and I am pretty sure they try to not intertwine their release schedules too much.

The focus of the first half of 2021 is TBC. The focus of the second half most likely is retail. This coincides with the TBC pre patch in May and a likely release in June, whereas 9.1 comes in July (or later).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyTides View Post
    Its disappointing that the patch may not be live until August. I wonder if it is just the pandemic that's caused such a delay. Working from home has had no impact on my work, but I don't work in a 'creative industry'. ~Is WFH really having such a huge impact on Blizz?

I think the issue with having a delay at the start of an expansion is that there isn't as much stuff to do - with the end of expansion drought we are all used to, there will at least be stuff from the previous patches to catch up with.
    Well ideally we would have an entire expansion to keep us busy at launch. Just the number of zones, dungeons and raids the expansions are shipped with are gradually decreasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't think we will get it before end of august.
    And it would be ok IF they would talk to us.... bu they don't. They just shut themselves in and then wonder why people get angry about non existing communication.

Tell me it will be august and i can play as long as i want, take a break and come back in August. No biggy.
    Right now i am getting more annoyed at them every day without communication. Will probably take a break and come back next expansion as this is just... shitty behaviour towards the customer.

But that is a blizz overarching problem. Overwatch? No infos whatsoever. Diablo? Every few month a small bit. Wow? NOTHING and not even much at "Blizzconline"(which was a farce anyway).

They should do regular developer updates. Like Paradox does for Stellaris for example nearly every week. They show stuff they are working on right now, stuff they want to do, stuff that is finished and explain why they do this and that while also getting imediate feedback from the players.
    This is dangerous because the current playerbase hates everything immediatly anyway. But i think in the long run these people won't stay with the game anyway.
    They tell you August, it's pushed back till September. Pitchforks. Sometimes it really is better to set no expectations and just surprise people.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    They tell you August, it's pushed back till September. Pitchforks. Sometimes it really is better to set no expectations and just surprise people.
    I dont care. As long as they tell us earlie enough.

They just could say it’s Q3. Leaves them with three months. But they never did that before so I don’t really see why they would need to do it now. Honestly it wouldn’t change anything imho.

5+ Year Old Account
    We are expecting a shitstorm. Sometimes it really is better to put out fires and combat misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    June is just the most optimistic guess. 9.1 cannot release in May anymore, it's impossible. So this leaves June as the earliest possible date. If the PTR for 9.1 doesn't drop this week, the 8-10 week window for content patches on the PTS brings the release window to June 8th-22nd.

As I said in several other posts, my timeline looks like this:

May: TBC pre patch
    June: TBC launch
    July: 9.1
    9.1 Isn't launching before September. Think that's a given. I would even bet it launches later in the year. I can definitely see something like Blizzard releasing a "mini" patch and pushing 9.1 to next year if development is going slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    in what world are people living in where 9.1 is releasing in September LOL like wtf are people smoking here..

They just literally showed the upcoming patch details at blizzconline in February and people think blizz would need what almost as much time to make a baby as releasing something they've been already working on for AWHILE. This is the first major patch of the xpac, they aren't waiting until TBC's post honeymoon phase to release it lolo

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    9.1 Isn't launching before September. Think that's a given. I would even bet it launches later in the year. I can definitely see something like Blizzard releasing a "mini" patch and pushing 9.1 to next year if development is going slow.
    Jesus fuck, that would be a disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    in what world are people living in where 9.1 is releasing in September LOL like wtf are people smoking here..

They just literally showed the upcoming patch details at blizzconline in February and people think blizz would need what almost as much time to make a baby as releasing something they've been already working on for AWHILE. This is the first major patch of the xpac, they aren't waiting until TBC's post honeymoon phase to release it lolo
    This is why dev communication should be important. If they came out and said: "we are behind schedule so expect 9.1 in July" only nutjobs like Pyromancer would say September.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post

Until ptr drops the ball is in the court of people saying it won’t come until later. Best to stop coping now instead of having a realization later.

5+ Year Old Account
    September looks a bit too much for me. But late July/August is looking more likely with every passing day imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotato2013 View Post
    Until ptr drops the ball is in the court of people saying it won’t come until later. Best to stop coping now instead of having a realization later.
    Exactly. Without PTR active, it's anyone's guess-- but it certainly won't be before June at the very easiest. July/August seem like a safer bet.

Very bad sign that PTR isn't up yet, needless to say.

I'd say early June. Predictions for August seem hyperbolic, but then again Blizzard's track record with delivery of late hasn't been very good.

There’s no indicator yet that makes a September release likely. The most likely month is July due to what I’ve said. September would be way too long and I don’t think it’ll be this late.

If the PTR goes live within the next week(s), we’re heading towards an end of June / July release. If the PTR isn’t here by mid April, I would get a bit more worried, but still. 8-10 week PTS cycles still indicate a June/July release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Last two expansions the .1 patches came out in approx 4 months or less, SL 9.1 patch will have been 7 to 9 months !!! That's insane and will lose a ton of players. Plus Shadowlands just being a hollow empty generic expansion to begin, with, there's nothing to do after you reach level 60, 9/9 Campaign, and gear up.
    .1 patch did not bring anything new in the last expansion, they just unlocked the actual raid, same in legion. Raids were locked so people would not rush in. Now it was unlocked from the get go and I think it was a mistake. They should have opened the raid in january.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    I'd say early June. Predictions for August seem hyperbolic, but then again Blizzard's track record with delivery of late hasn't been very good.
    If we apply the 8-10 weeks of PTS, early June is only possible if the PTR drops tomorrow and we just have a rather short 8 week PTS. That would make 9.1 launch on June 1st.

June is optimistic considering covid and its more likley July at the earliest.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    If we apply the 8-10 weeks of PTS, early June is only possible if the PTR drops tomorrow and we just have a rather short 8 week PTS. That would make 9.1 launch on June 1st.
    That's the question though isn't it? Normally summer patches have around 70 days on the PTR. But will the testing also be slower? I mean they tested a non-content system patch for an entire month and it still came out riddled with bugs. I know such a thing is not possible to guess, but I wouldn't rule out a 3 month PTR.

I stick with my early June prediction.

Roughly 6 months from S1 beginning, as usual.

PTR will be opened shortly after Easter.