Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    So you actually *do* believe that a specific date is required?

Seriously?

Just so you know, DDMMYY or anything including "DD" is not the standard for a lot of shit you use on a daily basis. Especially not in the pharmaceutical industry to name one example.

Or are games "food" to you, because you "consume" them?
    Required depending on the context. Different products require different *expiration* dates.

A poster made a joke comparing with a beverage in case you didn't notice. Beverages and general food usually have to comply with strict dates.

AAA Video-Games have strict dates that are given in advance when it comes to officially releases because they have to be tied with world wide marketing campaigns and physical sales.

Estimate release windows are not the same as an official release date. As stated multiple times it's a dumb discussion because changing your release window for the sake of not releasing and unfinished product should be the norm and not frowned upon. But I guess haters gotta hate.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How to make people feel sad for you, all in one post.
    Believe in yourself and have fun playing games, no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    And you just sound like you are personally invested in this game. Not to hate it like those "hateful peasants" or to love it like a "fanboy" but more like "This has to succeed" kind of invested.
    But I am personally invested in the game, I backed it and I play regularly so for me its the best space game available so it already succeeded a long time ago.

What you should be asking is why people who haven't backed it, don't play it and don't like it feel so invested in attacking it along with those who do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    He (or was it Kenn?) has said that he has access to the concierge club's private subforum, which requires sinking at least $1,000 into the game. I'm guessing it stings to admit that you dropped a lot on a game and it isn't turning out the way it was promised to be.

I mean, Star Citizen as of right now is quite fun. Worth the price of admission of $45 IMO (and maybe a little more for a Cutlass to do some co-op stuff with other people), but it isn't worth hundreds of dollars.

If you're feeling bummed about dropping a lot of money on SC, you can still salvage that by heading over to r/Starcitizen_trades
    I bet everyone here has spent way more in WoW and gaming in general than what I've spent in Star Citizen and gaming along the years. My best ship is a Cutlass and can confirm, the game is a bargain for $45 if you have the hardware to run it no other game comes close in terms of scale, graphics and attention to detail combined.

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    Kek, shits on people for arguing in "bad faith", proceeds to cherry pick dictionary definition parts...fuck, I love this man!
    Now now then, don't go from obsessing with Star Citizen and Chris Roberts to it's fans.

There's no cherry picking. The issue is not the definition of Date. The issue is the context and the difference between Estimated Delivery Date and Officially Release Date. A games official release date has a specific Year/Month/Day for the sake of maximizing profits and generating hype while being tied with contract obligations. It allows stores and gamers to prepare exclusively for that day, specially true in online games.

Estimations are just based on best guesses, uncertain factors so they are prone to be changed and that's why they are given much earlier in the project state and usually only shared internally. Due to the open crowdfunding nature of projects those estimations are shared with the community.

That is why Official Release Dates are usually given in the last stages of development, usually when the game is feature or close to feature complete. Even then those dates are not written and stone and can be delayed if unpredictability arises, as shown more recently with Cyberpunk. What was also shown was that the game should have been given a even bigger delay. But shareholders gotta eat and bonus given right.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-05 at 07:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    What are the most optimistic opinions about an actual release date as things are?

6-10 years from now?

Their track record just make me think the game will never reach a release state, but am curious about people actually following the game development, which i stopped doing a while ago.
    There is no optimistic opinion on a release date. Once JesusTech is complete, every model and game system will have to be refactored. CRobberts will ride this out until investors take 51% control and force him out, like his last two jobs.

Star Citizen will never release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Estimations are just based on best guesses.
    LoL no one makes CRobberts look worse than you do. /fistbump
    Last edited by Beazy; 2021-05-05 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    What are the most optimistic opinions about an actual release date as things are?

6-10 years from now?

Their track record just make me think the game will never reach a release state, but am curious about people actually following the game development, which i stopped doing a while ago.
    I would say 6-10 for a bare minimum, assuming they can ever get server meshing to work. They've spent this many years on the "game" and it is still missing massive core features. I wouldn't even call it in Alpha as of yet, just more of a vertical slice / playable tech demo. However, since it is playable (and I use that term loosely), CIG claims that it has already "released", so take that however you want to. As for Sq42, they aimed for a 2016 release, and it's now 2021 with no substantial update as to the current state of that game. That alone should tell you how grossly mismanaged development is.

As for the current state of Star Citizen, it's...playable. If you're huge into open world gameplay whist lacking any real sandbox content, and you've got a handful of people to play with regularly that can create their own content/narrative (aka PvP events), then you may actually have a bit of enjoyment with it. However, if you're looking for actual content to play through, there's a handful of missions that are more of a proof of concept than anything else, mining exists, and that's about it. There is a good amount of exploration, due to the size of the planets, but nothing to actually do beyond look around at some landscapes and take pretty screen shots (the one thing CryEngine was good for). With a player cap of 40-50 (depending on the week), you might even run into another player, in which there's a 75% chance that you'll have a poor experience, such as getting your ship hijacked or even blown up as you're trying to learn/figure out the controls (ie: it is not a friendly environment towards new players). However, you can't really blame the other players, because that's pretty much the only thing they have to do, and all they see is a target; they're unaware of how experienced you may or may not be. I think they just get so excited to see another player that they forget everything else and hope for an engaging battle (as the AI combat still needs a good amount of work). One could say that it is a PvP game, but unless you are playing with friends, its possible to play an entire hour without seeing another person, then the server will crash.

And before anyone says "its not a PvP game!" I was a KS backer and have been in and out of the game over the years. I'll usually take a weekend to update and get some play time in to see what has changed (typically it is very little). The last version I played was 3.12. In all the years of me hopping in and taking it for a spin, I have never once had a friendly encounter in the game. I've never initiated combat, but I have ended it on numerous occasions.
    Last edited by Cyclone Jack; 2021-05-05 at 07:57 PM.

-snip-
    See, this exactly why I love you.

Extremely entertaining shit, keep it up!

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    @MrAnderson You do know posting Twitch stats is meaningless right? Especially for the reason you are doing it ie: to show how popular the game is. The main reason being is that only a very small percentage of people who play any game care to or are even able to play and stream at the same time. If everyone that plays the 4 games you listed all streamed while playing those numbers you showed would be vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Oh hey the Twitch stats are back. Time really is a flat circle in the Star Citizen thread.
    Hey when you're the 150th ranked game on Twitch that means something! I mean...not much but it means something. One day it can take down those titans like... Black Desert Online and.. Marbles on Stream?

- - - Updated - - -

I bet everyone here has spent way more in WoW and gaming in general than what I've spent in Star Citizen and gaming along the years. My best ship is a Cutlass and can confirm, the game is a bargain for $45 if you have the hardware to run it no other game comes close in terms of scale, graphics and attention to detail combined.
    Ah yes 50 person server cap, servers exploding games > WoW

Is that what you're saying? I dunno man, 16 years of WoW vs....what SC has....I mean this isn't really a serious comparison is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Estimations are just based on best guesses, uncertain factors so they are prone to be changed and that's why they are given much earlier in the project state and usually only shared internally. Due to the open crowdfunding nature of projects those estimations are shared with the community.
    "Earlier"? Holy shit dude, this project has been going what 9 years now? They were giving out guesses to the game being launched years ago. You know what happened? They missed those estimations. Duh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    snip
    I appreciate the honesty in you discussing your experiences in the game. People that have sunk time and money into this game giving an opinion that shows the negative and the positives.

Strangely enough there was a discussion just yesterday about Twitch stats which made me think about how often that 1 guy posts them here

....but you cannot even get any reasonable estimate of its player count trends (i.e. to what extent its increasing or decreasing) with twitch viewership.
    The recently released Epic legal documents provide definitive proof that twitch viewership cannot be used to predict a game's player count

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    MrAnderson, could you please dedicate some of your precious time to enlighten the RPGCodex Net community with your knowledge? I believe it would be a really positive experience for everyone involved.

I would appreciate it very much.
    He's paid to post on mmo champion not the others. You know a "game" is ass when a shill can't even bother to go elsewhere to promote it.

Also a few pages back he claimed he knew Star Citizen wasn't spaghetti code because they have had the same people since development started which means either he works for the company, is constantly lying out of his ass, or invested so much money in the game he's got the 1 blowjob a year from every staff member tier.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Strangely enough there was a discussion just yesterday about Twitch stats which made me think about how often that 1 guy posts them here

The recently released Epic legal documents provide definitive proof that twitch viewership cannot be used to predict a game's player count
    Man, I'm gonna need to bookmark this because I've been bangin this drum for ages. Twitch stats in isolation are meaningless, and only gain value when presented in context with more data.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post

Damn that is quite the read and can't say I'm really surprised. I could imagine that 'influencers' as the term is can drive some early sales and interest at the start of a game's lifespan (maybe) and that after that point it does not matter. Like WoW streamers are fucking pointless to me, the game wouldn't change any if they were gone.

And another reminder, please keep discussion on topic and stop discussing other posters. Thanks y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    He's paid to post on mmo champion not the others. You know a "game" is ass when a shill can't even bother to go elsewhere to promote it.

Also a few pages back he claimed he knew Star Citizen wasn't spaghetti code because they have had the same people since development started which means either he works for the company, is constantly lying out of his ass, or invested so much money in the game he's got the 1 blowjob a year from every staff member tier.
    Ahh, you people are too harsh on the poor fella ~ who cares if his getting paid or if this is just his own way to deal with the growing despair brought by the passing years with no sight of the end of this very, very expensive dream… people need to stop taking it so seriously, truth is, MrAnderson & Kenn posts are fucking gold and should be enjoyed, like a fancy ass stinky cheese, just grab some wine, lay back and have fun.

Required depending on the context. Different products require different *expiration* dates.

A poster made a joke comparing with a beverage in case you didn't notice. Beverages and general food usually have to comply with strict dates.

AAA Video-Games have strict dates that are given in advance when it comes to officially releases because they have to be tied with world wide marketing campaigns and physical sales.

Estimate release windows are not the same as an official release date. As stated multiple times it's a dumb discussion because changing your release window for the sake of not releasing and unfinished product should be the norm and not frowned upon. But I guess haters gotta hate.
    If you think people are making fun of and being critical of Star Citizen as a project because it simply moved dates, or missed them, you're not paying attention at all.

It's not that they were missed or moved, it's that they've been missed multiple times and not by small margins. Original release windows for these games was over 5 years ago. And they've been updated multiple times since then, and every single one of those dates has also been missed. SQ42 Beta being cancelled was just one of the more recent examples.

Again, it's not that dates have been moved or missed, it's that they've been moved so. many. times and that they missed even those updated dates and that they have missed them by YEARS. Dates getting moved is normal, things happen, as you've already stated. But when dates get moved happens, you pick realistic dates/ time windows based on what work there still is to do and the overall understanding of the work necessary. The fact that after this long in development, and this much money spent CIG still apparently has no idea when they might realistically be done with neither SQ42 or SC speaks of mind blowing levels of incompetence when it comes to project management.

So from all you say about dates i can understand Chris Roberts was a liar and he was trolling people to milk more money out of them.
    Pretty honest guy that Chris.

And that video tou shared look pretty amateur. Is that what they can afford lately? Or is it from 2016?

You're personally invested in hating the game
    I don't hate the game. I hope it's good someday, because it's right up my alley. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be, and it certainly isn't good now. CIG seems lost, and they seem to have very little respect for their consumers. That's what I take issue with.

Also, dates at the end of trailers mean something. Nobody in this thread (or on the planet, I'd wager) cares that you disagree. You're wrong on this one. Katchii is right when he says that nobody cares if a developer misses a release date, or has to delay a game. The problem here is that it's happened several times. SQ42 had a 2016 release window. It's five years later now, and...? Wasn't there supposed to be a beta sometime last year? What happened to that?

You can honestly tell me that you don't think CIG is miss managing things?
    Last edited by Henako; 2021-05-06 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    So from all you say about dates i can understand Chris Roberts was a liar and he was trolling people to milk more money out of them.
    Pretty honest guy that Chris.

And that video tou shared look pretty amateur. Is that what they can afford lately? Or is it from 2016?
    Moving dates when required is pretty standard in the gaming industry so if something is not ready then its pretty obvious to make changes, if you backed the project you accepted all risks that comes along with it. Chris wants to make the best space game he possibly can and he has stated many times if he is not happy with something the players wont see it until its ready.

You might want to research even a little before making BS comments about videos since many are not even made by CiG and most are from current gameplay, CiG make fairly decent videos as has been already been proven.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-06 at 01:02 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Moving dates when required is pretty standard in the gaming industry so if something is not ready then its pretty obvious to make changes, if you backed the project you accepted all risks that comes along with it. Chris wants to make the best space game he possibly can and he has stated many times if he is not happy with something the players wont see it until its ready.

You might want to research even a little before making BS comments about videos since many are not even made by CiG and most are from current gameplay, CiG make fairly decent videos as has been already been proven.
    Bro, get a new argument.

Again, it has nothing to do with delays. It has to do with the delays of 42 and how it would be ready in 2016, then beta in 2020. . . now nothing for over a year. . .

What don't you get here? This game is mismanaged as fuck and it will never release. . . . and if you think it will, you just don't understand software development.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Bro, get a new argument.

Again, it has nothing to do with delays. It has to do with the delays of 42 and how it would be ready in 2016, then beta in 2020. . . now nothing for over a year. . .

What don't you get here? This game is mismanaged as fuck and it will never release. . . . and if you think it will, you just don't understand software development.
    I dont know about you but as a backer every 2 weeks everyone is updated on the progress of whats being done with SQ42 so stop talking BS about them saying nothing.

Unless you work at the company you dont have any clue whatsoever about the management so stop with the BS of things you know nothing about, no company is ever managed properly, i think its about time you get a new argument as it doesnt have a leg to stand on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    no company is ever managed properly
    what . . . . the. . . . fuck. . . . . kind of drugs are you smoking? Can I have some? I'll Zelle you the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    what . . . . the. . . . fuck. . . . . kind of drugs are you smoking? Can I have some? I'll Zelle you the $$.
    It seems you are not in touch with reality, there is no company or organisation that can say it has ideal management, the larger the company the more impossible for management to work exactly the way it should operate. Anything run by a human is subject to all the flaws that comes with it.