Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why is WoW $15 a month?

Why does the subscription exist? Does anyone really know?

I understand you don't have to play if you don't want to. But, I'm genuinely asking. I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?

Update:

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.

If anyone has anything solid (not your opinion) such as, but not limited to, dev interview, official posts, even dev Twitter post, post it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-07-10 at 07:34 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?
    Yes, you are missing something. Download ESO and check how in-game shop in buy to play MMO looks like.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why is WoW $15 a month?
    Because that's the price Blizzard set.

Why does the subscription exist?
    Because Blizzard deems is a more profitable business model.

Formerly known as Arafal

Because people are paying it.

I understand you don't have to play if you don't want to. But, I'm genuinely asking. I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Yes, it's just access to the game. And it's in the EULA you agreed to when you installed the game that your sub is for a licence to access the game as is and that Blizzard is under no obligation to ever add new content or even fix bugs. Also, going by inflation, you're paying less for WoW now than you were in 2004.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    $15/month is very cheap comparing to those free games.

WoW sub is okay, xpacs price is not so okay but still fine

but faction transfer? guild transfer? race change? common why so expensive? also prefer without mounts/transmog shop store

Gods, just shut up man. Yeah, you're missing something. A few synapses.

At this point making it free wouldn't really do anything for the game, i doubt there are that many people who would like to play it but are restricted by the sub price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, we do.

They do release plenty of content updates. Since I started playing they've released 7 (seven) more expansions, which means some 20+ raids, 40 or 50 dungeons, and tons of systems and changes. Periods between content updates are expected for any game, that's not unusual or unwanted, especially as everyone progresses at different rates.

Your sub pays for people to develop content, for servers, for support teams, and so on, along with cash made from the in-game shop and cosmetic items.

Simple answer, because people still pay it

I am for subscriptions personally. MMO's are costly to maintain/run. Subscriptions also put pressure on companies to actually release substantial content for its game. Yes I agree that currently WoW is not worth the sub, but really that is more a design philosphy. Legion for example I had tons to do. I was even playing it into BFA. Well worth the 15 dollars a month.

I am actually kind of surprised how many MMOs out there are not subscription based. I think I underestimate how many people use the cash shops in the FTP games to keep it running.

I am also okay with cosmetic purchases too. My opinion is I love MMO's and I want the genre to survive. So if companies can get more money out of some fancy outfits and mounts go for it. As long as there are decent options in game I am okay.

The only thing that I don't like are pay to win models which I think most people can agree on.
    Last edited by Johnjohn; 2021-07-09 at 09:22 PM.

yea, there will always be some morons who paying for this shit show.

I'm not even going to give an actual answer because it's clear that OP doesn't actually want one.
    He could literally point at actual reasons and just handwave them away like "i know that.. BUT..." like his opinion matters.

I want everyone who has regressed into slug-form to imagine how many "free2play" monetization bullshit (and trash f2p players) the sub fee protects WoW from.

We have all the worst examples of in-game monetization available for everyone too see from big AAA studios to small indie devs.
    You want those? You really want those? I don't think so.

Edit.: Come to think of it, the general audience of this forum also belongs into the "i'd rather not have these people in the game".
    So they can boast all day how "haha, i'm not subbed" good, that's what I want you to do too.
    I don't even wanna have the off chance opportunity to meet you in-game anywhere. You're actually doing a favor.
    Last edited by Garymorilix; 2021-07-09 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    I'm not even going to give an actual answer because it's clear that OP doesn't actually want one.
    He could literally point at actual reasons and just handwave them away like "i know that.. BUT..." like his opinion matters.

I want everyone who has regressed into slug-form to imagine how many "free2play" monetization bullshit (and trash f2p players) the sub fee protects WoW from.

We have all the worst examples of in-game monetization available for everyone too see from big AAA studios to small indie devs.
    You want those? You really want those? I don't think so.
    If WoW ever went the way of games like, say, Genshin Impact...

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yes, it's just access to the game. And it's in the EULA you agreed to when you installed the game that your sub is for a licence to access the game as is and that Blizzard is under no obligation to ever add new content or even fix bugs. Also, going by inflation, you're paying less for WoW now than you were in 2004.
    That's interesting I didn't know it said that in the EULA. Have they ever explained why they charge $15 a month to access the game? Is it in the EULA that you know of?

I'm genuinely just curious what their rationale is. It seems impossible to find a clear answer and the community seems to lash out or say their own rationale when its asked, without really answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Guidance View Post
    WoW sub is okay, xpacs price is not so okay but still fine

but faction transfer? guild transfer? race change? common why so expensive? also prefer without mounts/transmog shop store
    Because they’re premium services, that’s why. Their decision for charging for those things is basically so that people can still make some kind of decision on what they want to play and where. Server stability and that.

I also want to add that since 1999 when I started playing mmos the sub fee has barely increased. I believe WOW has been 15 bucks a month since release on 2004. That is very reasonable. Hell a take out lunch almost costs that now.

What's not to understand? Plenty of people just pay in tokens now anyhow. Bliz feels their product is good enough to warrant a monthly fee. If people don't agree they can stop playing it. Same reason that cocktails in some restaurants can cost $50.

10+ Year Old Account

Because that is their chosen business plan, and price for their services? That is all you get from the 15 dollars. Access to the game and support for the game, and account.

From Blizzard's side, the 15 dollars a month pr. player = salary, development, management, rent, insurance, legal fees, marketing, production, support, hardware, software, Human Resources, plumbing, heating, electricity, cleaning, etc.

Still the cheapest hobby available for me.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2021-07-09 at 09:35 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..