Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Let's see. People who are offended by something that is cringeworthy and blatantly transphobic, or people who are offended because some pixels got changed.

I think I know who the bigger baby there is.
    If they are only pixels, why are people offended? Think about that. And if this is so bad, why is it only now that people are getting upset about it? They had 17 years to do it.
    Last edited by Vintersol; 2021-10-14 at 09:18 AM.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vintersol View Post
    If they are only pixels, why are people offended? Think about that.
    Because it represents a stereotype of trans people that has contributed to the very real abuse and bigotry they face today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post

The joke in question.
    Oof, that's a big yikes. I think I spotted a microaggression towards his dog at around 2 mins too, these people should be in jail.

Anyone knows if the 40% is on top of the Burning Crusade "leveling improvements" or not?

Anyone claiming the Finkle Einhorn reference was harmless obviously isn't remembering the movie.

Look, I love Ace Ventura. I even love Ace Ventura 2! But having rewatched it just a year ago... yikes.

There's literally like a five-minute long scene at the end of the movie where the joke is "The trans person is ousted as being trans. Everyone in the room throws up now." and that's it.

It has not aged well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Some of the changes made were completely unneeded. But that "joke" from the first Ace Ventura movie hasn't aged well, something even the writers admitted a few years ago. But I'm starting to realize that A LOT of people on this site are massive bigots. As this very thread is showing so far.
    Yes, it's really showing :/

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing this exemplarily of is of this relatively recent archetype of the individual seeking some type of validation by signaling his allyship online. Pathetic

If they are only pixels, why are people offended? Think about that. And if this is so bad, why is it only now that people are getting upset about it? They had 17 years to do it.
    I dunno about anyone else, but I've always thought Finkle's name was a bit 'oof'y. Enough that I wouldn't complain that if it was changed, but not enough that I'd complain if it wasn't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because only now they were allowed to do anything about it? Have you paid any attention at all to what has happened at Blizzard these last few months?

Also perception change. Something which was once considered normal(for example slavery, animal abuse, no rights for women etc) is now frowned upon because society has advanced. Just because you personally wasn't affected doesn't mean others weren't. Try putting yourself in their shoes and see how seeing so much hate all the time makes you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    There are people out there who claim trans people do it only so they can do horrible things like rape people in bathrooms, which is ridiculous because gendered bathrooms hasn't stopped rapists before, no matter their sex/gender. It's just poorly veiled hate against something they don't understand.
    Yeah, that's the thing. It's the same reason J.K.'s TERF-y ass crime drama is transphobic, even though "THE BAD GUY ISN'T REALLY TRANS".

It's transphobic because they're making their bad guy the fabled "evil man who pretends to be trans to do crimes", something that literally doesn't happen in real life, and contributing to a very prevalent transphobic idea that has absolutely no basis in reality.

The "bad guys could pretend to be trans" idea is exclusively used to deny trans people rights. Since the (completely unfounded) idea is exclusively used to oppress trans people, that means it is a transphobic idea.

Saying "Oh they're not REALLY trans" is, itself, transphobic - because you're pushing a narrative that not every trans person is a "legitimate" trans person.
    Last edited by Mixxy; 2021-10-14 at 09:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is something that everyone should remember when it comes to.... "identitarian" problems, or more accurately, when it comes to this type of individual.

They're really like anyone else, but they exacerbate this formula to its extreme end

Confirmation Bias + Consensus Falsification + Social Ostracization

First, they find others that reinforce their own perceptions, or, potentially worse, they believe they are correct on account of signaling their stance in favor of a just pursuit, in this case, Equal Rights.

Fueled by the above, they spare no effort in asserting that what they think is actually the norm, and everyone else is wrong. Once again, this notion is given weight simply because it pertains to the support of benevolent causes.

Finally, what they likely excel at: social ostracization. So you have an oppositional stance agaisnt this sort of issue? But they relate to equal rights? If you criticize or mock, then that can only mean you're all kinds of bigot, which then allows me to completely dismiss whatever you say by dubbing you as all kinds of "-ist" or "phobic". It doesn't matter that what you say has merit. Its mere oppositional stance automatically means you're a biggot, and worthy of dismissal.

And on an additional note on arguments' merit, you could be entirely unknown to these..... self anointed guardians, you may have never expressed such an opinion, but now you have, and because of that it is entirely within their right to intentionally - and dishonestly if I may add - conflate you with the worse kind of bigot.

There, that's the twitter mob for you in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy View Post
    Anyone claiming the Finkle Einhorn reference was harmless obviously isn't remembering the movie.

Look, I love Ace Ventura. I even love Ace Ventura 2! But having rewatched it just a year ago... yikes.

There's literally like a five-minute long scene at the end of the movie where the joke is "The trans person is ousted as being trans. Everyone in the room throws up now." and that's it.

It has not aged well.
    Didn't they all throw up because he actually kissed the trans rather than throwing up because they know it was a trans? it's been that long since I last watched it. Thing is, even if the "joke" hasn't aged well do we need to get rid of it? there's probably a lot of shit out there from the 80/90 era that "hasn't aged well" are we going to go around and clean the entire fucking world up in that sense? just have a spring clean of everything in the world every decade to get rid of shit that didn't age well.

Am I right in saying the person wasn't even considered trans, just a guy who changed into a women to escape being caught for a crime? or are men who play dress-up considered trans and afforded these "trans rights" now?

It has not aged well.
    Aaaaaaaaand? What's the problem? How is this anti-trans? Heterosexual men are not attracted to trans women (duh). Their reaction is the joke, they are not making fun of trans people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's the thing. It's the same reason J.K.'s TERF-y ass crime drama is transphobic, even though "THE BAD GUY ISN'T REALLY TRANS".

It's transphobic because they're making their bad guy the fabled "evil man who pretends to be trans to do crimes", something that literally doesn't happen in real life, and contributing to a very prevalent transphobic idea that has absolutely no basis in reality.

The "bad guys could pretend to be trans" idea is exclusively used to deny trans people rights. Since the (completely unfounded) idea is exclusively used to oppress trans people, that means it is a transphobic idea.

Saying "Oh they're not REALLY trans" is, itself, transphobic - because you're pushing a narrative that not every trans person is a "legitimate" trans person.
    Exactly!
    Doesn't help that it's overused as well and there are very few positive role models for trans people in media. When the majority is negative, people in general will see them as negative. It's a really bad circle that has taken years for many to break out of and we have a long way to go in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Aaaaaaaaand? What's the problem? How is this anti-trans? Heterosexual men are not attracted to trans women (duh). Their reaction is the joke, they are not making fun of trans people.
    As I said earlier, it's because Finkle wasn't actually trans. They pretended to be another sex in order to get away with crimes rather than it being an identity thing. This further fuels transphobic rhetoric that all trans people are lying and are just doing it for ulterior, sinister motives.

Are you actually serious? so now saying men who dress up as women to escape the law is transphobic because we're saying they are not trans? holy fucking shit. Why did this "person" suddenly become a trans person? was that the narrative from the start of the movie? or do people just automatically assume because someone tucks the cock away and slips on a wig they are considered trans? we're talking about a guy, who hid his identity by becoming a woman and now you're acting like it was a real trans person the entire time?

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said earlier, it's because Finkle wasn't actually trans. They pretended to be another sex in order to get away with crimes rather than it being an identity thing. This further fuels transphobic rhetoric that all trans people are lying and are just doing it for ulterior, sinister motives.
    Except it doesn't, since this behavior isn't exclusive to one subcategory of people.

All it gives weight to is that certain individuals will go to relatively extreme ends in order to achieve their goals, no matter the nature of those goals.

In this case, it was a man turned woman to avoid getting busted. It isn't a derogatory comment on the whole trans group.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    How is "I accidentally kissed a trans person so now I'm going to vomit and cry in a corner" not transphobic?

You can kiss someone you're not attracted to and NOT feel the need to vomit uncontrollably.

Imagine the scene playing out exactly the same way, except instead of "she has a winky", the joke was "her skin is darker than you thought it was". Would you still be defending that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Except it doesn't, since this behavior isn't exclusive to one subcategory of people.

All it gives weight to is that certain individuals will go to relatively extreme ends in order to achieve their goals, no matter the nature of those goals.

In this case, it was a man turned woman to avoid getting busted. It isn't a derogatory comment on the whole trans group.
    All you're doing is trying to trivialize how damaging to the trans community that "joke" in the first Ace Ventura movie is. That's all. Either that or you are ignorant to the exceptionally toxic attitude people have against trans individuals in the USA. There are still NUMEROUS states that allow the trans panic defense and shit like the Finkle "joke" just help reinforce it.

Holy hell. It's a silly movie. One has to be a total dumbass to interpret it in such a way that all trans people behave this way. We shouldn't make the world revolve around what dumb people might think.