Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

why do people say WoW dragon lore is boring? Here is what to know.

Here is what to know about WoW dragon lore heading into Dragonflight.

The evil dragon broods like Nefarian were attempting to create a chromatic dragonflight as their weapons to rule Azeroth. Chromatic dragons are incredibly powerful, nigh unstoppable. But it is so difficult to create them and requires so much power that they kept failing (luckily for us). At one point, they were trying to infuse an inert chromatic dragon named Chromatus (an incredible beast with 5 heads, each one a different color representing each flight) with massive amounts of power and it almost worked, the creature stirred for a bit but heroes were able to stop the process. However, a chromatic dragon is so powerful that they could not even destroy the body, just lock it away in hopes it never fully wakes.

The rumor is that 10.0 is about Chromatus waking at last. And it is unstoppable. We are playthings to it. Think Ghidorah from Godzilla lore. With all the old dragonflights extinguished or powered down, perhaps our new quest will be to empower a NEW dragonflight that can counter Chromatus.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Well yes, but I hardly see how something being powerfull can be an argument towards said thing being interesting ? I would say that it would likely lead to the opposite

And we will still stomp them as nothing as we always do.

Still quite bored of dragons to be honest also gw 2 just had a dragon expansion.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Jailer was powerful and behind 65% of the events on Azeroth.
    'Lo, he was not interesting. The dragons of Warcraft are generally uninteresting from a lore perspective because they are written as such.

I think people want a little more than just Dragons as the big bad or the main, like what other threats besides Chromatus could be included?

Hence why there's also this interest in the Lordaeron/Quel'thalas update that was mentioned in the leak. People wanna see how much things have changed and how expansions like Legion and BfA effected everything and how much has changed during our time in the Shadowlands... that raises more intrigue than anything involving the dragons.

And while Chromatus would be a nice final boss to the expansion, we need something to fill in the gaps in-between.

That just sounds like Deathwing 2.0. An invincible dragon, powerful enough to destroy the planet and the only way to stop him (because of course there has to be a way, everything else would be pointless) was to travel back in time.

Other than Chromatus having 5 heads, where is the difference? Also Deathwings lore was pretty boring, since he basically got no build up in the game and had no goal but to destroy all. Chromatus sounds the same.

SL and BfA did not set up any good material for a big bad dragon boss.

I don't find dragon lore uninteresting as such, it just seems like quite the leap from SL.

I get that Dragon Isles is basically one of the few established, major canon places on Azeroth we haven't seen (along with Undermine) but the transition from a cosmic struggle to "hey, DRAGONS!" seems inorganic and abrupt.

In addition, the title "Dragonflight" seems uninspired and generic. Even something like "Dragon Isles" would have been more on point, because it references a concrete location. It feels bland, and that is precisely what WoW has been suffering from: bland, uninspired, boring expansions full of formulaic and tedious content. This does not promise the kind of excitement that many people feel WoW needs to be revitalized - neither in theme nor in name.

The suspicion is that they're returning to "WoW roots" in order to play on people's nostalgia. And that is a BAD BAD BAD sign.

Nobody said Dragon lore is boring, you're just wording shit poorly so it fits your moronic narrative in this thread.

There's a difference between something being boring....like...the jailer? and something just being overused. The Legion and Dragons have had lore in Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK/Cata/Wod/Legion

7+ Year Old Account

Smile

Me here with kind of such reaction:

I mean, nevertheless, in fantasy world, and even more so in WoW, dragons themselves are such trivial ordinariness without looking at their "possible" interesting lore... However, friend's "curses-predictions" mentioned rebirth of aspects, maybe they still somehow going to bring those to it.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2022-04-13 at 05:34 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

It'll be boring after whatever they end up writing happens

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    That just sounds like Deathwing 2.0. An invincible dragon, powerful enough to destroy the planet and the only way to stop him (because of course there has to be a way, everything else would be pointless) was to travel back in time.

Other than Chromatus having 5 heads, where is the difference? Also Deathwings lore was pretty boring, since he basically got no build up in the game and had no goal but to destroy all. Chromatus sounds the same.

SL and BfA did not set up any good material for a big bad dragon boss.
    There is a difference between Deathwing and Chromatus.

Deathwing was once Neltharion, but the Old Gods practically destroyed his mind where he pretty much has to destroy the world because the burden of being an Aspect of Earth was too much for him. Even the idea of the Titans treating Azeroth as "an experiment" was enough to push him over the edge and make him realize that everything he was designed to do was pointless.

Chromatus is literally a Frankenstein Monster... Nefarian's greatest creation where he wanted to construct the ultimate dragonflight, but Nefarian died before he could give it life. Then Archbishop Benedictus (The Twilight Father) gave it life so that it could be used against the Dragonflights. (Some even speculate that he was meant to take Ultraxion's place in the Dragon Soul raid but due to having 5 heads, it was a technical nightmare to string together.)

Not to mention that Deathwing isn't exactly invincible, his body was unstable and it took metal plates to keep his body together. "Only the adamantium plates bolted to his spine kept the power from destroying his body." Once those metal plates come off, he'd lose control of his body's form... hence why there's the Madness of Deathwing fight at the end of Dragon Soul.

Meanwhile Chromatus's body is completely intact, not a single spell that the Dragonflights could throw at him could destroy his body. "His body was indestructible, and concerned that some other dark power might try to revive Chromatus after its defeat, the dragons attempted in vain to destroy the corpse. Some powerful spell, probably woven into the dark marriage of magic and technology that had animated him in the first place protected the body from all their efforts to obliterate it."

The only way they could defeat him was by combining all their power into a single blast, but even then it just made him in-animate... neither dead, nor alive, nor undead.
    Last edited by Woggmer; 2022-04-12 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I don't find dragon lore uninteresting as such, it just seems like quite the leap from SL.

I get that Dragon Isles is basically one of the few established, major canon places on Azeroth we haven't seen (along with Undermine) but the transition from a cosmic struggle to "hey, DRAGONS!" seems inorganic and abrupt.

In addition, the title "Dragonflight" seems uninspired and generic. Even something like "Dragon Isles" would have been more on point, because it references a concrete location. It feels bland, and that is precisely what WoW has been suffering from: bland, uninspired, boring expansions full of formulaic and tedious content. This does not promise the kind of excitement that many people feel WoW needs to be revitalized - neither in theme nor in name.

The suspicion is that they're returning to "WoW roots" in order to play on people's nostalgia. And that is a BAD BAD BAD sign.
    I totally agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post

Deathwing was once Neltharion, but the Old Gods practically destroyed his mind where he pretty much has to destroy the world because the burden of being an Aspect of Earth was too much for him. Even the idea of the Titans treating Azeroth as "an experiment" was enough to push him over the edge and make him realize that everything he was designed to do was pointless.

Chromatus is literally a Frankenstein Monster... Nefarian's greatest creation where he wanted to construct the ultimate dragonflight, but Nefarian died before he could give it life. Then Archbishop Benedictus (The Twilight Father) gave it life so that it could be used against the Dragonflights. (Some even speculate that he was meant to take Ultraxion's place in the Dragon Soul raid but due to having 5 heads, it was a technical nightmare to string together.)

Not to mention that Deathwing isn't exactly invincible, his body was unstable and it took metal plates to keep his body together. "Only the adamantium plates bolted to his spine kept the power from destroying his body." Once those metal plates come off, he'd lose control of his body's form... hence why there's the Madness of Deathwing fight at the end of Dragon Soul.

Meanwhile Chromatus's body is completely intact, not a single spell that the Dragonflights could throw at him could destroy his body. "His body was indestructible, and concerned that some other dark power might try to revive Chromatus after its defeat, the dragons attempted in vain to destroy the corpse. Some powerful spell, probably woven into the dark marriage of magic and technology that had animated him in the first place protected the body from all their efforts to obliterate it."

The only way they could defeat him was by combining all their power into a single blast, but even then it just made him in-animate... neither dead, nor alive, nor undead.
    Sounds pretty generic and boring. Look at that new random overpowered threat ! What can we do against it that we didn't allready do against all the précédent overpowered threat ?

Nefarian and Onyxia were nice enemies because they were smart with plans. But at a human level. Blue guy was lame because he was just sold as overpowered and suddenly had a 5d chess plan linked to him.
    Deathwing was just a big boring flying dragon.
    Rest of the dragons are Anduin kind of bland. Or mounts.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2022-04-12 at 07:02 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I will tell you why, because they are literally in every expansion! We didn’t have Titan or Constellar expansion yet! I would be even more happy if I ended up somewhere in twisting nether fighting the void than see dragons again.

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post

Of course there is a difference in lore, but from a concept standpoint it's still the same. Deathwing was nearly invincible when we had to fight him. And we will find a way to defeat Chromatus as well.
    Both had little to no buildup as characters right now.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's an opinion that I'm not sure you can convince people to change if the game can't. For instance I really hate the faction war because the game has done a bad job of making it compelling past MoP. They have one character act heinous, the rest of the leaders go brain dead and let nonsense occur, and then the entire situation is left in a vacuum that makes an opposing character a pariah for calling bs and the players feel cheated.

The dragons are cool on paper. Quite literally, their coolest moments are in books/comics. The game makes most of them a mix of distant, bland, dumb, and weak. The writers also seem hyper-fixated on destroying the dragons and every interesting thing they have. It's sad, like what they reduced Night Elves to. Only recently did they start giving back near the end of BfA w/ the Black Dragons regaining sanity and the Legion Drakes being able to have offspring. But are we going to get more compelling characters beyond Ebonhorn/Wrathion or another Cata Deathwing Doofus? Time will tell. I'm of the mind that the writers should spend time building them up.

If they use Chromatus, why not fight to make him an ally? That'd be a nice change of pace from "ultimate big evil that's worse than the last big evil". Sometimes we need stories that develop the world instead of always tearing it down.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Deathwing was nearly invincible when we had to fight him.
    And yet did almost nothing, aside from the Cataclysm itself.

DW is one of the biggest letdowns in WoW history. He came in, set the stage for an entire expansion, and then basically fucked off for the rest of it, only to be kamehameha'd by Thrall in a completely anticlimactic ex-machina ending.

He was one of THE original big bads, and yet he couldn't manage more than to give us a few new zones and a renovation of Stormwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Sounds pretty generic and boring. Look at that new random overpowered threat ! What can we do against it that we didn't allready do against all the précédent overpowered threat ?

Nefarian and Onyxia were nice enemies because they were smart with plans. But at a human level. Blue guy was lame because he was just sold as overpowered and suddenly had a 5d chess plan linked to him.
    Deathwing was just a big boring flying dragon.
    Rest of the dragons are Anduin kind of bland. Or mounts.
    Uh-huh... Deathwing also posed as the Human King of Alterac in Warcraft 2 and tried to corrupt the Alliance from within, and literally fought Gruul, Khadgar, Turalyon, and Alleria in Beyond the Dark Portal. And when we didn't even land the killing blow on Deathwing, Thrall did that... all we did was soften him up for him to land the killing blow. And everyone was upset that Thrall took all the glory for that kill.

The Jailer was a last minute villain made on the spot while at least Chromatus has actual lore built all the way back in Vanilla and Cata.. The Jailer has literally nothing, and all his lore was built in the Shadowlands and just claimed everything was his doing... He's a poser is what he is. A strawman villain built to make Sylvanas look better in comparison.

In fact, the only thing the Jailer did was make me appreciate Deathwing more because now I know, there's a villain more bland and more boring than him.
    Last edited by Woggmer; 2022-04-12 at 06:31 AM.

It feels like another 'been there done that' expansion which we have plenty of. I don't mind dragons that much but I would have loved to see something new.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It was cool up until Cata. They really ruined Deathwing, and the whole Captain Planet vibe with the rest of them was just awful.