Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    This, LFG only came in 3.3.

I restarted playing wow because of the anouncement of the return of wrath. Doesn't make sense to have LFG before 3.3, doesn't make sense to not implement it in 3.3. Just leave it has it was.
    Entire game systems are on the last patch of the expansion.
    But we will cherrypick LFD out because reasons.
    We think we do, but we don't, right?
    LFD has been a staple feature of private scene for a decade but Blizzard and some internet randos know better. Checks out.
    Last edited by stevenho; 2022-06-07 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Entire game systems are on the last patch of the expansion.
    But we will cherrypick LFD out because reasons.
    We think we do, but we don't, right?
    LFD has been a staple feature of private scene for a decade but Blizzard and some internet randos know better. Checks out.
    Which systems are you talking about that weren't historically implemented until last patch, but is in at the launch of tbcc and/or wotlkc?

I can name a few systems that were implemented earlier in TBCC, like arena and guild banks but neither were last patch historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    On the one hand, Classic has definitely proven it wasn't LFD that killed server communities since Classic managed to kill them without it.
    naahh WoW community will say lfg tool will destroy the community and ignore that at this point there is no community left even before the tool was announced

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    naahh WoW community will say lfg tool will destroy the community and ignore that at this point there is no community left even before the tool was announced
    "The community" must be among the most overused and overblown concepts in all of WoW. "The community" isn't real. It's a nostalgia dream, a romantic ideal that's not even accurate for when there WAS some semblance of server-based community.

Are there some people who actually recognize other randos on their server? Sure. Are there people who cherish the RP-like moments of random grouping? Of course.

But by and large this is nothing but an empty concept primarily trodden out for marketing purposes and people making wind on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "The community" must be among the most overused and overblown concepts in all of WoW. "The community" isn't real. It's a nostalgia dream, a romantic ideal that's not even accurate for when there WAS some semblance of server-based community.

Are there some people who actually recognize other randos on their server? Sure. Are there people who cherish the RP-like moments of random grouping? Of course.

But by and large this is nothing but an empty concept primarily trodden out for marketing purposes and people making wind on forums.
    Meh, I havent really made friends from dungeon runs in classic or classic BC. I've made friends out in the world when doing quests. Dungeons are a snore anyway, only reason you team up is because you have to.

Out in the world though? You could technically just solo most quests and at the very least keep on getting xp, but its valuable to team up. Often times I meet someone and we end up playing together for a long time. I help them with quests I dont have, they help me. Some quests we share. Then we add eachother on friends list cause we know hes a decent lad and before you know it im getting /w about dungeon runs and/or asking for help with whatever. As do I.

The dungeon experience has been;
    Spam chat.
    Hope you get picked if you /w someone looking for ppl.
    Get to dungeon.
    Clear it.
    Bye.

Back in the stoneage of vanilla the whole dungeon experience was something else. I was there and I did it then and I can tell you it was much more special. To group up with people and clear a dungeon? So cool! Now its not that cool anymore, for many many reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Bro I love having to watch lfg like a hawk to try and get that whisper in first cause dps are dime a dozen. Love having to make the trip to the dungeon which takes 30 minutes because most people can't be assed and would rather wait for a summon.

Fucking hell. These can't be the same people going against the rdf. Just a loud minority or the classic players are on the spectrum as far as the eye can see.
    If they are going by whatever ppl say on the official forums, they certainly dont have most players opinion about it. Heck, im an avid user of this forum but I never go on Blizz forums about anything. Most people dont even bother going to this or any other wow site. They just play the game and when WotLK comes out and see theres no RDF, many of them will be like "what the hell?"

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Back in the stoneage of vanilla the whole dungeon experience was something else. I was there and I did it then and I can tell you it was much more special. To group up with people and clear a dungeon? So cool! Now its not that cool anymore, for many many reasons.
    As someone who was ALSO there - this was not my experience. Dungeons were a means to an end. Farming Strat and DM was endless runs on repeat. Those wide-eyed moments of epic party play? An exception that stuck to memory far more clearly than the bulk of rote, repetitive farming. Which was a reality even back in the OG days.

As someone who was ALSO there - this was not my experience. Dungeons were a means to an end. Farming Strat and DM was endless runs on repeat. Those wide-eyed moments of epic party play? An exception that stuck to memory far more clearly than the bulk of rote, repetitive farming. Which was a reality even back in the OG days.
    Oh sure, I was mostly talking about the first period of vanilla. After a while it was nothing special really. Didnt help building a community either.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Oh sure, I was mostly talking about the first period of vanilla. After a while it was nothing special really. Didnt help building a community either.
    That's my point exactly. There as an IDEA of "community" formed from people's very early experiences in a (for many) completely new genre. That's what stuck to collective memory, despite the fact that in the decade and a half plus of WoW that was a TINY TINY TINY sliver at the VERY beginning and very quickly was replaced by a sobering realization that people are fungible.

Yet somehow it's treated by many people as this glorious past that was usurped by some evil turn of events, probably after WotLK. As though the "real" WoW died with the Lich King, and we should all strive to return to those brilliant days.

It's a lie. It's nostalgia bias and selective memory, carried by a collective narrative hardly anyone's ever bothered to check or think about for more than two seconds. And with good reason - Blizzard eats that shit up, because it lets them hype up crowds with buzzwords. Just watch Blizzcon and see how they handle it. Speaks for itself.

That's my point exactly. There as an IDEA of "community" formed from people's very early experiences in a (for many) completely new genre. That's what stuck to collective memory, despite the fact that in the decade and a half plus of WoW that was a TINY TINY TINY sliver at the VERY beginning and very quickly was replaced by a sobering realization that people are fungible.

Yet somehow it's treated by many people as this glorious past that was usurped by some evil turn of events, probably after WotLK. As though the "real" WoW died with the Lich King, and we should all strive to return to those brilliant days.

It's a lie. It's nostalgia bias and selective memory, carried by a collective narrative hardly anyone's ever bothered to check or think about for more than two seconds. And with good reason - Blizzard eats that shit up, because it lets them hype up crowds with buzzwords. Just watch Blizzcon and see how they handle it. Speaks for itself.
    I'll admit I was in favor of not having it in classic & BC. But, at this point I would most welcome it. I love leveling characters in the old world and it sucks trying to get ppl for dungeons now. Its only going to be worse when WotLK hits for the 1-70 players.

why they at the very least just dont have it as server spesific is beyond me.

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't get to whine for a no change classic experience to relive the glory days while complaining about how you like LFG more. You want the classic experience or you want retail. Pick one.

Besides, given the general difficulty drop into WotLK (besides 1 or 2 dungeon achievements) it was a lot more accessible to just grab whatever was available and speed run it. Groups formed pretty quick for it. The step up in difficulty of ICC dungeons were the only time you needed more than a pleb who didn't know to hide behind a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    You don't get to whine for a no change classic experience to relive the glory days while complaining about how you like LFG more.
    The only people calling for "nochanges" existed before classic vanilla launch. They are years gone now.
    And what works well in wrath was determined over a decade of private serves (hint: vast majority likes LFD).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to miss the days of GearScore when you would join a random dungeon group, queue into the dungeon, notice everybody inspecting you... then all of a sudden you're back in Dalaran.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    You don't get to whine for a no change classic experience to relive the glory days while complaining about how you like LFG more. You want the classic experience or you want retail. Pick one.

Besides, given the general difficulty drop into WotLK (besides 1 or 2 dungeon achievements) it was a lot more accessible to just grab whatever was available and speed run it. Groups formed pretty quick for it. The step up in difficulty of ICC dungeons were the only time you needed more than a pleb who didn't know to hide behind a rock.
    Having group finder in WOTLK IS no changes though. It was in the original version and should be in the re release.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    there's a game with LFD if you want it, it's called retail, go play it instead of ruining classic
    Isn't this bit ironic since it was in wotlk to begin with?
    I could argue you're the one ruining classic for me...
    If you don't want to use group finder then...just dont? Nobody is forcing you? And if the player base truly wants a game without it, they won't use it and vice versa?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I'm not going to miss the days of GearScore when you would join a random dungeon group, queue into the dungeon, notice everybody inspecting you... then all of a sudden you're back in Dalaran.
    Nah, now they will just inspect you and simply never ever invite you instead. Big difference, great change. Achieves what?

there's a game with LFD if you want it, it's called retail, go play it instead of ruining classic
    What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. This guy has gotta be trolling. You realize that LFD WAS IN WRATH, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Stop lying.

This is the first time ever I am hearing someone say this and is something I have never experienced back then in retail Wrath or on private servers.

GS was always an issue when it came to inviting people to pug raids, but it has never been an issue with RDF. And if this did happen often, then you still don't have an argument against RDF as the same thing would happen (much more often actually) without RDF too.

- - - Updated - - -

even 10k votes is a tiny fraction of Classic's playerbase

but go on, keep screeching and screaming that the devs are big dummy dums because they're not pandering to you

Considering that are like some 300k active characters(!! not unique players, but characters) in TBC Classic, 10k votes is actually quite a big number for a poll, all things considered. This is a very good indicator about what the Classic playerbase thinks and wants. There is no "silent" majority of anti-LFD people.

Either way, the best part about your comment is that you're telling people essentially to fuck off from Classic for a feature that was actually a part of Wrath and existed there for half of its lifespan. Not only that, but it was that time when WoW was at its peak too.

It's still difficult to believe that Blizzard made this decision. I'd love to know what metric they used to base it on. IIRC Holly said something like "it's not a good fit for our community" but what does that mean?

I'm reasonably sure there was an 'Group Finder' tool in late TBC and WoTLK? Not the LFD which teleports you to the dungeon, but a tool where you could see other groups and join them. I remember using it all the time back in the day......

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosecannon View Post
    I'm reasonably sure there was an 'Group Finder' tool in late TBC and WoTLK? Not the LFD which teleports you to the dungeon, but a tool where you could see other groups and join them. I remember using it all the time back in the day......
    They did add the teleport to dungeon in WotLK. Not sure if it was at the start of WotLK but I think it was. I know people are theorising without the tool questing will probably be faster as there was an EXP bonus for using it over entering on your own.

A lot of people see it as the start of reduced required social interaction. When I compare my experience from Retail to Classic my guild is a lot closer and do more together than my Retail guild ever did. Another thing is people don't ditch groups as fast when something goes wrong, in retail a tank may just drop the group and instantly find a new dungeon group teleported there if he feels it is to slow.

I kind of want it and don't want it. Leveling becomes much more enjoyable when you teleport to dungeons and find groups while questing. But it feels like a step in reduced social interaction that we have in Retail.

I think LFD would be nice for older content, since its way harder to find groups for, lets say, zul'farrak than it is for a hc utgarde run.