Thread: The Orville

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, I think it works better with less humor. Season 1 had a little too much imo.
    I'll have some more chocolate sprinkles with my ice cream, if you don't mind.
    /spit@Blizzard

Another great episode!

The Orville is quite simply the best Trek available today!

I think a lot of people have been sleeping on this show but so far this season has been really solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I think a lot of people have been sleeping on this show but so far this season has been really solid.
    I can see why people may have stopped watching after Season 1. But, Season 2 and especially New Horizons is definitely better.

The concepts they have handled and how they handled them is impressive.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, I think it works better with less humor. Season 1 had a little too much imo.
    Been rewatching the series after finishing Strange New Worlds and I agree. Especially early on in season 1 the humor is distracting. Way more "Family Guy" style jokes like early on there is a scene where they are talking to a doctor on the viewscreen and there is a dog in the background just licking his balls for no reason. Thankfully, that stuff has lessoned quite a bit as the series goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Been rewatching the series after finishing Strange New Worlds and I agree. Especially early on in season 1 the humor is distracting. Way more "Family Guy" style jokes like early on there is a scene where they are talking to a doctor on the viewscreen and there is a dog in the background just licking his balls for no reason. Thankfully, that stuff has lessoned quite a bit as the series goes on.
    Well that’s good to hear. I gave the show a try and just had too much “Seth McFarlane humor” fatigue at the time, and dropped it. Maybe I’ll just watch a s1 recap and dive into s2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Well that’s good to hear. I gave the show a try and just had too much “Seth McFarlane humor” fatigue at the time, and dropped it. Maybe I’ll just watch a s1 recap and dive into s2.
    There is still humor, but it becomes much more character and situation based with the occasional pop culture reference. I think somewhere around episode 3-5 is when most people think the show really found it's footing. The plots of those three in particular feel ripped straight outa unaired TNG episodes. I haven't gotten to season 2 in my rewatch but I recall the humor getting even less then.

Never watching something Seth MacFarlane. How very Seth MacFarlane of him to write himself into the show. Ever see interviews of him? Biggest narcissist in Hollywood, maybe even more so than Charlie Sheen

Honestly I'm surprised how much I enjoy watching the orville crew deal with relationship stuff. I think I'd probably sleep through in most trek series, but orville does such a good job making the whole crew enjoyable to watch that you can pretty much make them deal with anything and it'll be worth watching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Never watching something Seth MacFarlane. How very Seth MacFarlane of him to write himself into the show. Ever see interviews of him? Biggest narcissist in Hollywood, maybe even more so than Charlie Sheen
    Yeah, Seth is a narcissist, but not the biggest in television let alone Hollywood.

Also, Seth while being Captain is rarely the focus character of Episodes. He is there, but often the focus is on other characters.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Who cares. I don't hang out with him. If it turns out he drinks children's blood or something, sure, I will dislike the man. But having an ego in hollywood/tvland? Ha.. I would have to hate just about everyone.

Another great episode!

Without spoiling it for anyone; Peter Macon (Bortus) was excellent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Another great episode!

Without spoiling it for anyone; Peter Macon (Bortus) was excellent.
    I 100% agree with this.

I honestly amazed that this series is as good as it is. I really hope that Disney doesn't cancel it.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time Bruce Boxleitner played the President of an alliance of planets, I would have two nickels.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-07-22 at 11:11 AM.
    –The Sith Code

I'm kinda getting bored about the whole Moclan storyline, the message is important yes but they already send that message multiple times on previous episodes

But The Orville its been good all around

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    I'm kinda getting bored about the whole Moclan storyline, the message is important yes but they already send that message multiple times on previous episodes

Kinda agree. They have been taking their time with this storyline. By now, Topa will probably the most historically important Moclan in the known universe, given her existence alone has set forth several incidents of note and precedence.

Loved Dolly's appearance. I barely recognized her image, but i guess when in show business, one does what has, wants or is told to do.

I did like that the message was "tolerance to one's beliefs can only go so far, if principles clash, so will people, eventually".

I wonder if a Keylon attack on Moclus will cause the government and society to start reconsidering to accept females in their fold again, so that they can return to Union safety umbrella and protection. Eventually... But please let this be in another season.

I do still miss the goofiness, though. It's obvious they are not going this way again.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    ;_; ;_; ;_;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    ;_; ;_; ;_;
    If this is about today's episode, I agree.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post

I somewhat agree, but I think part of the problem is other species don't have much of their own storylines.

Sayalyans sort of stopped being relevant once the previous security office left. They barely had much plot outside of the old officer's backstory.

The war with the Kaylon is extremely vague and they are just badies that show up when they want a space battle. I mean, them attacking the 'super secret safe spt' for the time machine before it even gets there is a massive security hole, but the story just forgets about it. Otherwise Kaylon story is extremely Isaac focused.

I'm kind of sad the Krill so immediately reverted back to just being all out enemies. I would have liked to see more collaboration first.

At least now with the Moclans out of the union, if that plot thread is revisited it'll be new stuff rather than "awkwardly dealing with such divergent beliefs" for the 11th time.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't impressed with the last episode. Choices made were silly and it was obvious they were written as such so the plot advances.

Someone would expect sacrifice would impress an emotional, not a logical species. Also, i was expecting a "failure" to complete orders, so revenge would finally ensue.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Wasn't impressed with the last episode. Choices made were silly and it was obvious they were written as such so the plot advances.

Someone would expect sacrifice would impress an emotional, not a logical species. Also, i was expecting a "failure" to complete orders, so revenge would finally ensue.
    In the Keylon logic a biological sacrificing themselves to save the Keylon would be impossible. Since that is what happens, the only logical conclusion they can draw is that their logic has been incorrect up to that point. A logical species is far more likely to adjust their decisions on something like this than an emotional one would.