Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make gold squish! No?

There is nothing inherently wrong with the current system though, especially compared to actual, tangible fan requests they could explore/devote resources towards. Not only would they need to adjust the literal zombie of a UI, they'd need to reevaluate the token system, which is something Blizz likely wants to avoid at all costs so they can continue to generate revenue from it (people like seeing bigger numbers, so while 50,000g is the same value as 500 platinum, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that stupid people will feel like they are getting less currency than before and opt not to purchase).

Plus, the pragmatic in me feels like an item(s) a player would normally list for 75g would get bumped up to 1p to have a "prestigious" price, and the cost of the current expansion-relevant materials will go up due to player greed and wanting the new currency to feel important.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-07-11 at 08:00 PM.

I'd prefer it to be like Runescape's Platinum tokens which are I think 10 million gold? But you manually trade your gold for them at a bank and it's merely an easier way to represent bigger stacks of gold. WoW could very easily do 1M = 1 Platinum token which would give people a way to hold way more gold on one character than they can now.

Also circumvents all the issues they could have with 20 year old coding of currency.

Not necessary. Blizzard could the inflation in WoW (among other things), but they don't want to.

For example they could virtually kill botting by requiring everyone to verify themselves (like some other games do) or by removing the option to buy game time without the sub (or by buying a digital copy of the game). This way there would be no gold selling and no need for a WoW Token anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitt View Post
    Adding one more coin would help make things easier, i can't see why not.

Thumbs up!
    Sorry but how would it make anything easier ? it would change nothing, you could make the same change with a datatext addon and just change the code to convert each 100 gold you have into 1 platinum in the datatext.

Or just do a currency squish across the board? No need for a new currency to be added.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Or just do a currency squish across the board? No need for a new currency to be added.
    TThis would be beyond a terrible idea and the players would revolt.

I have a better idea: How about we just leave things as is and people stop being afraid of big numbers.

Make it 10000 gold = 1 platnium make new quests give like 20-30 and then kill off the garrison bots gold supplies once and for all.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What would this accomplish exactly?
    There is currently a gold cap, which means you can only have so much money in-game per character. Adding Platinum would presumably increase the cap a hundred fold, since the cap presumably works on currency number rather than gold value.

I dont know why they dont just squish the numbers. I made a threath about this topic on german forums and people went like crazy "NOOOO YOU DONT TAKE MY GOLD AWAYS MIMIMIMI!!!!" people didnt understand that if we squish numbers by like :10000 you 1mio gold have the same amount as you have 100g after the squish.

I mean you squish everything. Gold from Rewards, Loot, selling, buying etc... everyone have the same amount of gold, just the numbers are smaller. Dont see a big problem here.

Pretty sure you could write an addon to display this if you really wanted it.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2022-08-10 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Not necessary. Blizzard could the inflation in WoW (among other things), but they don't want to.

For example they could virtually kill botting by requiring everyone to verify themselves (like some other games do) or by removing the option to buy game time without the sub (or by buying a digital copy of the game). This way there would be no gold selling and no need for a WoW Token anymore.
    Given how profitable WoW tokens are for Blizz, this sounds like reasoning for them to NOT kill botting. As for inflation, it would merely slow down without botting, but would still likely continue, so long as more money is going into the economy (via quests, enemy drops, vendoring items, etc.) than out of it (AH cuts, repair costs, buying vendor items, etc.)

OT: I actually would be okay with Blizz adding a Higher-Than-Gold currency, but it's far from necessary.

5+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha bro, most people probably have like 20k gold

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Because the gold cap is such a burden right? lol.

Most people don't even have 10 thousand gold let alone 10 million
    I didn't say it was a good reason, I was just presuming what the reason was.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    I dont know why they dont just squish the numbers. I made a threath about this topic on german forums and people went like crazy "NOOOO YOU DONT TAKE MY GOLD AWAYS MIMIMIMI!!!!" people didnt understand that if we squish numbers by like :10000 you 1mio gold have the same amount as you have 100g after the squish.

I mean you squish everything. Gold from Rewards, Loot, selling, buying etc... everyone have the same amount of gold, just the numbers are smaller. Dont see a big problem here.
    Because of the gold currently circulating and in the hands of some players. You cannot cut the gold sources without removing gold from players.

This said, adding platinum or whatever doesn't change anything, it just shortens numbers.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Because of the gold currently circulating and in the hands of some players. You cannot cut the gold sources without removing gold from players.

This said, adding platinum or whatever doesn't change anything, it just shortens numbers.
    Dont know what you wanna tell me with your first statement.

They could also get rid of copper/silver and Make 100g = 1 Platinum, 100 Platinum = Whatever.

So 1 Mio gold is just 100 Whatever. Most people are under 1 Mio gold, so we have small numbers gain, and everyone would lose max 0,9999 gold.

Dont know what you wanna tell me with your first statement.

They could also get rid of copper/silver and Make 100g = 1 Platinum, 100 Platinum = Whatever.

So 1 Mio gold is just 100 Whatever. Most people are under 1 Mio gold, so we have small numbers gain, and everyone would lose max 0,9999 gold.
    Ok, now i get it. Feel free to disregard previous comment.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Having millions of gold in the bag is a satisfying feeling as weird as that is. Tbh, Id love if it instead of introducing platinum they'd let us buy something like bars of gold which we can exchange for whatever amount of gold when you need them. But that is a personal thing for me

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Having millions of gold in the bag is a satisfying feeling as weird as that is. Tbh, Id love if it instead of introducing platinum they'd let us buy something like bars of gold which we can exchange for whatever amount of gold when you need them. But that is a personal thing for me
    Then just remove copper and silver and introduce 2 new currencys, so your 1.000.000 gold is now 100 whatever.

wow currency under the hood is based on copper anyway
    the only thing i'd change is "exchange" rate
    from
    100c > 100s > gold
    to
    1000c > 1000s > gold
    here, your currency "squish"

10,000c=1g with this change 1,000,000c=1g

curreny type just works as fancy comma, nothing more nothing less
    12g13s14c= 121,314c
    Last edited by FAILoZOFF; 2022-08-30 at 07:49 AM.