Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Seen some stuff on reddit that claims the distance is so long between where Galadriel is and the mountain that the ash arent that hot, more like 50-100f.

But Im also assuming they arent going for "accuracy" in that scene , more visuals
    Only problem with that is that in the promo trailer for episode 7 you see the entire village destroyed and burning and the whole sky is red. It looks unsurvivable. So the show is going to have to do something interesting to explain how they all survive.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Only problem with that is that in the promo trailer for episode 7 you see the entire village destroyed and burning and the whole sky is red. It looks unsurvivable. So the show is going to have to do something interesting to explain how they all survive.
    oh, havent seen the promo so didnt know that. Will be interesting to see how they explain things

10+ Year Old Account
    Mount Doom is the wuss of volancoes... Vesuvius laughs...

I half expect the cast to NOT look like this next episode

also I have been to the ruins of Pompeii... it so surreal by the way. Most of these casts in the picture would most likely be in musems, I never saw many when i was there.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-10-02 at 07:36 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Those incomplete works were never published before he died, so the fact that they are unfinished is irrelevant to the point that they were never covered in anything he actually sold the rights to. If that wasn't the case then they would not have had to find a loophole for the creation of this series. Everything else you are bringing up is not changing those facts.
    Except those unfinished works did have the right sold. As earlier as 1976 the Saul Zaentz Company (who got the rights from UA and/or Estate) had limited matching rights to the any film adaptation of those unfinished works. It was either as the original deal or as a deal Christopher made. If it was Christopher those rights would have been made a year prior to the Similarillion being published.

The argument you are making though is silly because it means that Canon is only what Tolkien published in his books. Yet almost all fans accept his unpublished work as "official". Which means you are creating a standard that most people don't follow. It is also silly to say them being unfinished is irrelevant when your entire argument is that they can be excluded from "Tolkien being okay with adaptations" because of them being unfinished.

Again the Loophole had to do with a TV series and a few other things that were not explicitly covered by existing rights deals. Notice how the Similarillion is not one of those things Amazon has the rights to and is not part of the "loophole". Of course this has everything to do with you not liking Rings of Power or the way it uses Tolkien's world. If you didn't have a problem you wouldn't be arguing so hard about how it goes the wishes of the original creator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Convenient, you are using Tolkien's explanation that elves aren't infallible to justify the mis-representation of them in Rings of Power, then coming round to tell me that Tolkien doesn't agree with my view. You ignore everything Tolkien shows and says about the elves, and use a phrase to to justify their mis-representation in order to fit your denial of the abuse and bastardaization RoP does of his works, which the elves in RoP (particularly Galadriel and the Elven nation) show quite clearly.
    So I use Tolkien's words to prove you wrong but somehow I'm ignoring everything Tolkien says? Lmao. Pure projection. The Elves do not fit your view of them yet you choose to go with your head canon over that of the author. I have never denied that Rings of Power changes his works. Some things however change little or nothing at all when you actually get into depths of his work. Stop inventing arguments simply because you weren't correct about one aspect of Tolkien's world.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Any theories on how Galadriel and everyone in the village are going to survive gigantic clouds of fire and superheated ash?
    Extras die, and by the power of plot armor anyone of importance will live of course, ignore them being in super heated ash!

The episode had some serious idiotic moments including the HORRIBLE Galadriel fighting(let me go side saddle to dodge a spear, then ride for like 30 feet to miss, I mean strike an orc and make him actually explode), the tower being able to be destroyed by cutting ONE ROPE(ughhhhhhhhhhhh),the fact the villagers went to the tower for safety then promptly abandoned it to fight in the village (where they could get attacked from every side instead of a narrow bridge), oh and they were able to somehow all get away from the tower back to the village without orcs seeing them. Not to mention if they could get away from the tower why not run away fully to the north.

Then you have the Numenor army traveling across the ocean, up rivers and managing to disembark and ride to the village in what two days? Oh and 3 small-medium sized boats managed to carry 100 men and horses each + all the supplies needed... okay.... The helmets for them still look comically bad, they don't fit for shit and they honestly could have used buckets for the same visuals. Them actually fighting was okay, not the worst but not the best. The chain scene was pretty eye roll, but most of the show is so whatever.

The sword being a key to a floodgate, and the trench being made for water to cause mount doom to erupt? My brain is literally starting to hurt.

Adar was the saving grace of this episode and quite enjoyable. They choose to go with elves being turned into orcs, pretty sure one of the later books from Christopher made it man, but since that isn't something Tolkien firmly settled on fine by me, and I still liked the visuals/acting of Adar.

Overall one of the better episodes, but still pretty meh, and half the reason it is better is no Harfoots + fighting. Felt like half the big story plots/dialogue were stolen from the OG trilogy then modified into a much worse version: helms deep -> tower + village, big causeway opened -> ents destroying dam, Rohan army arriving with Gandalf at daybreak -> Numenorean army arriving at daybreak (minus the whole fact Gandalf told them he would come with reinforcements while the Numenorean deus ex machina the timing), -> women and children retreat to caves -> wounded and children to fort (oh wait I mean tavern, wtf is this Shaun of the dead?), Arwen running from Nazghul telling her horse to hurry in Elvish -> Galadriel chasing Adar telling her horse to hurry in Elvish, etc.

Even the music at times reminded me of Helms deep.

Final note while Mt Doom going off is beyond idiotic and everyone should be dead, the visuals of it were pretty damn good, liked the lightning in the blast too.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-10-02 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Extras die, and by the power of plot armor anyone of importance will live of course, ignore them being in super heated ash!

The episode had some serious idiotic moments including the HORRIBLE Galadriel fighting(let me go side saddle to dodge a spear, then ride for like 30 feet to miss, I mean strike an orc and make him actually explode)
    It was super awkward with the Southlanders reactions in awe of her just being there.

7+ Year Old Account
    The show making something interesting would be the actual plottwist, but i bet is going to be some garbage like or nothing at all, she endures the blast just because she is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Did you notice how every time an orc was going to attack an important character, he was just fucking unarmed? no weapons, just trying to grapple someone, like he also don't have teeth

This show is brainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post

Sad but true
    That image is missing so, so many other doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    The show making something interesting would be the actual plottwist, but i bet is going to be some garbage like or nothing at all, she endures the blast just because she is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Did you notice how every time an orc was going to attack an important character, he was just fucking unarmed? no weapons, just trying to grapple someone, like he also don't have teeth

This show is brainless.
    Plot armor OP
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I'm interested in seeing where the plot goes but god damn. I've never seen so many forced scenes that are invented just because I feel like the videographers were like "we want to shoot a scene with <insert situation here>!"

As well, the disbelief I get from the characters actions, because they're either braindead, inconsistent, or just mismatched is extremely high. This show might be worse than WOT. For all it's transgressions on the source material, obvious pandering, and really stupid characters, at least they were consistent in their personalities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Sad but true
    I get the murder references, but is there some special meaning behind the reaper's portrayal? Or just a generalization on the target audience every bozo executive producer seems to be marketing to?

15+ Year Old Account
    That isn't true at all. There was an occasional orc without a weapon but it wasn't every time. There is no need to invent things just to continue to hate on the show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I get the murder references, but is there some special meaning behind the reaper's portrayal? Or just a generalization on the target audience every bozo executive producer seems to be marketing to?
    It is the brainless, and unfounded, claim that "woke" kills things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That isn't true at all. There was an occasional orc without a weapon but it wasn't every time. There is no need to invent things just to continue to hate on the show..
    Yep it is true, when they fight the protagonists they try to grapple, even when one had a dagger.

There is no need to invent because the episode show that

It is the brainless, and unfounded, claim that "woke" kills things.
    It's entirely possible that woke-ifying things does kill the versions of stuff people previously really liked, though, but it's also nearly impossible to tell if it's a chicken or the egg, or if bad writing and having a care about those things is completely unlinked, or what the impact of directives from higher-ups has on the quality of the show, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep it is true, when they fight the protagonists they try to grapple, even when one had a dagger. There is no need to invent because the episode show that
    It isn't true for every time. I even did a casual skip through the episode and saw plenty of cases where Orcs were armed. You are over exaggerating because of your dislike for the show.

- - - Updated - - -

It's entirely possible that woke-ifying things does kill the versions of stuff people previously really liked, though, but it's also nearly impossible to tell if it's a chicken or the egg, or if bad writing and having a care about those things is completely unlinked, or what the impact of directives from higher-ups has on the quality of the show, etc.
    If people stop liking something just because it is more inclusive or shows diversity then that is one them. It is still a brainless take because "woke" is used for anything that shows women as powerful, non-normal skin tones, etc. The presence of black people on Rings of Power literally has no impact on the quality of the show. That is something that is labeled "woke". It is just a silly insult and it is even sillier to defend the use of it.

You're going off on a tangent that has been beat to death. Also, I doubt anyone would call Alien or Aliens woke, so your "anything that shows women as powerful" goes out the window.

And again, it's really hard to separate all causation from correlation. I can easily envision where the reason the writing is bad is because these people are more concerned with other things, up to and including diversity, just as easily as I can envision one where the two are completely unrelated.

I digress.

Show keeps getting worse from a writing and consistency perspective, and I don't give a damn about black elves or Galadriel being a woman (she was always a woman and incredibly badass in the Silmarillion).

15+ Year Old Account
    You're going off on a tangent that has been beat to death.
    Yet that is what "woke killed X" implies. It isn't a tangent but central to the meme.

This is appropriate https://imgur.com/lyAIuwo

This is appropriate https://imgur.com/lyAIuwo
    Rofl, seems accurate.

Losing 2 ships didn't phase their numbers at all, they just stuffed the bottom.

7+ Year Old Account
    It isn't true for every time. I even did a casual skip through the episode and saw plenty of cases where Orcs were armed
    I never said "orcs were not armed" i said "in the precise moments where orcs target special characters they were not armed"

as always, fallacies
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-10-03 at 05:23 AM.

Speaking of Orcs attacking main cast.
    The orc that pulled arondir on the roof so they both roll down the house just stood up and walked off after they landed.

Perfect opportunity to kill him? Nah, my job is done as an extra so I just walk out of view.
    Error 404 - Signature not found