Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I never had a problem with that in the show, but if people feel it inconsistent or out of place they're free to feel that way and express that. Not everything is discrimination.
    I didn't either. But it got me thinking why was a lesbian relationship was inserted in the show.

The two girls are very good friends. One trains the other. One is a princess, the other is her bodyguard, training and aspiring to be a knight one day. The princess would love to be a warrior, far from the court protocol and enjoy life with her own choices, far from what her birthright demands (a forced alliance marriage etc)

Those are enough reasons for the redhead to love and protect the princess and vice versa. There's no need to insert a romantic relationship between them, in order to showcase that there's even a bigger motive for their relationship.

It makes me think the relationship was inserted to tick the box. It's ok, it's directed advertising, acknowledging lesbian relationships etc. Doesn't ruin the show. But nothing would actually change if it wasn't there and it does nothing for the story itself. It's there to attract a certain audience, imo.
    /spit@Blizzard

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Of course it would be canceled, it was on the same page of being dogshit like rings of power and wheel of time, but worse, difference is how disney can't dump money on the toilet like amazon can.

This show was so bad, full of woke shit, that ruined what could somehow, be a good story , I watched liked 4 episodes(second one was even decent) and could not take it anymore, and i hard it was downhill from there, maybe i will watch till the end just to see the train crashing.
    Sure, Disney can afford to lose money. They've just been losing a lot of it over the last few years with all the projects that didn't even recoupe their production costs and the parks being shuttered for almost 2 years certainly cost them a ton of revenue. But I also think that Bob Iger is a smart enough businessman to see that something was a failure and promptly pulled the plug on it.

But the only people who ever cared about Willow are likely in their 40's because I've never even seen the movie and I'm in my mid 30's. So the fact that they made a show adapted from a film that was niche and then didn't even try to play to the fanbase that existed for it, just makes it doomed to failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw a few ads for it, looked interesting but the fact it went down is already disappointing. Oh well
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    I didn't either. But it got me thinking why was a lesbian relationship was inserted in the show.

The two girls are very good friends. One trains the other. One is a princess, the other is her bodyguard, training and aspiring to be a knight one day. The princess would love to be a warrior, far from the court protocol and enjoy life with her own choices, far from what her birthright demands (a forced alliance marriage etc)

Those are enough reasons for the redhead to love and protect the princess and vice versa. There's no need to insert a romantic relationship between them, in order to showcase that there's even a bigger motive for their relationship.

It makes me think the relationship was inserted to tick the box. It's ok, it's directed advertising, acknowledging lesbian relationships etc. Doesn't ruin the show. But nothing would actually change if it wasn't there and it does nothing for the story itself. It's there to attract a certain audience, imo.
    And if the guard had been a man (or the princess a prince) and the relationship were hetero, no one would have raised any question about why the romance was "inserted", because that's always been a dogwhistle. LGBT relationships don't need any more "justification" than hetero relationships do.

Especially because "include a hetero love interest" is just as much a "box" to tick as any other.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And if the guard had been a man (or the princess a prince) and the relationship were hetero, no one would have raised any question about why the romance was "inserted", because that's always been a dogwhistle. LGBT relationships don't need any more "justification" than hetero relationships do.

Especially because "include a hetero love interest" is just as much a "box" to tick as any other.
    What's that shit answer? I just argued about no need for any romantic relationship, and you go and assume what people would say about a hetero romantic relationship, which would STILL not be needed.

Stop with your virtue signaling please.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Stop with your virtue signaling please.
    Yeah, and I'll ask the sun not to come up tomorrow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Sure, Disney can afford to lose money. They've just been losing a lot of it over the last few years with all the projects that didn't even recoupe their production costs and the parks being shuttered for almost 2 years certainly cost them a ton of revenue. But I also think that Bob Iger is a smart enough businessman to see that something was a failure and promptly pulled the plug on it.
    After the drop on subs i expect then to hold on and not dump money on the trash if they are not doing what they expect. One of the reasons amrvel movies are being delayed, to(hopefuly) be worked better.

But the only people who ever cared about Willow are likely in their 40's because I've never even seen the movie and I'm in my mid 30's. So the fact that they made a show adapted from a film that was niche and then didn't even try to play to the fanbase that existed for it, just makes it doomed to failure.
    That maybe depends on where someone live, the original movie came to my country much later and everyone loved it, it was considered a classic with other movies, cause it passed on the open tv in the afternoon, and it aired so often someone end up watched at least 4 times, so it end up being a movie that marked a younger generation than the 40/50s.

But like you side, it didn't try to play to the fanbase that existed, neither tried to play to the fanbase of "medieval fantasy" either, i commend the idea of trying to adapt to a modern audience, sure, you want to get a new audience to keep what could be a franchise, but its just awful, like, rly awful, its not a joke to believe the show was written by AI, i didn't finish but i heard there is stuff like magic monster "body fluids" that they were forcing people to drink, i don't even know the details to know how messed up it is

It's a little disappointing, but not super surprising. On the positive side, the style was light and breezing, and did a pretty good job of capturing the late 80s/early 90s not super committed to the setting style that was present in the original movie. On the negative side, the tone didn't seem to mesh well with the plot points, where like, deaths of seemingly important characters were brushed aside super casually. Also, the story was never super compelling, and it felt more like rather than the writers coming to producers with a good idea, that producers decided they wanted to 'leverage an IP', told a room of writers to come up with something and gave them a deadline to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    producers decided they wanted to 'leverage an IP', told a room of writers to come up with something and gave them a deadline to finish.
    Unfortunately, it seems like that's basically big-budget filmmaking it a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

If the populations - and thus, the odds of a given couple just so happening to be one or the other - were equal, then you might have a point, even discounting the religiously progressive mindset of Disney and Hollywood.

It's as much a surprise that Disney would insert and highlight that statistically very rare couple within the first hour of the first episode as it would be that a movie or show produced by a Christian company would have a scene with prayer in it. Representation of that demographic in film far exceeds actual presence in real life, and we all know why that is.

Box checked.

Warning: how many times do I have to tell you all that discussion about "woke agendas" is forbidden on this subforum? If you want to talk about culture war BS, try your luck in GenOT. This is the first and last warning for this thread.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2023-03-19 at 04:50 AM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well, post i answered to was deleted, so no reason to keep mine.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2023-03-19 at 02:37 AM.
    /spit@Blizzard

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverLynx View Post
    Can you guys belive this!?
    a show that considers DE&I before the source material, good writing, coherent plot is doomed to fail every time. But hey they got some poc in there with androgenous appearances and needless identity politics sprinkled in so... yeah.

color me surprised

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like that's basically big-budget filmmaking it a nutshell.
    Yes and no. There are definitely inspired IPs that get an expansion and are great. However, way too many of these things are suits going "we own these IPs, get some writers to make up something for them".

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    They definetly took risks, the risk was doing a show pure by AI, with modern genz shenanigans, for modern teens to watch

of course it failed hard.
    Yeah pretty much but you still have shills even here who will argue otherwise.

horri-bad acting from horri-shit writing
    good!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

I'm sorry for the people who genuinely liked this show, however many of those actually existed.

But I'm glad that they're not getting away with bad writing and bad acting. There is no substitute for good writing (and good writing can absolutely also be inclusive writing, don't even go there) - with visuals you may run into budget trouble, with acting you may run into casting problems, but the writing is 100% your own fault. Write shit, get hit. Do better.

Val Kilmer was a massive part of Willow and they didnt even try to replace him.

Dead on arrival

as someone who was very excited for this series to come out, it was such a huge miss. it was very apparent that the writers, producers and director had very little love for the original or had a clue about what made it such a cult success. it is aweful. the last half is better than the first half, but it is all bad.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Val Kilmer was a massive part of Willow and they didnt even try to replace him.

Dead on arrival
    Probably because of respect, than inability to do so.
    /spit@Blizzard