Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertinax View Post
    It has been quite a few hours now and no response from Blizzard and I have been on mass redial with them for hours and i get the same thing that they are too busy. It is nice to just sit here and watch all the time I have put into this game just disappear and Blizzard doesn't give a rats ass. So far my main hasn't had gear deleted and if it does I will be done. I have the Norton 360 up to date and I don't open emails from people i don't know so I have no clue how I go hacked. I just wish Blizzard would give me back my account and I hope I don't lose everything I have worked hard for
    First off, have you ever worked as a Customer Service Representative? Or any form of Phone Support for a major company before?

I used to work a Tech Support agent for Dell, weekends had an insanely high call volume, everyone's off of work and trying to get their shit fixed before they go back in to work on Monday. Can't exactly blame Blizz for people calling in on the weekend to get a few problems resolved. Blaming Blizz for their high call volume is like blaming your local Pizza Delivery store for having a 2HR wait, they can't help it. If you don't want to wait go somewhere else.

If this is a first time hack Blizz will most likely get the issue resolved once they are able to get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by glaciall View Post
    Obviously Blizzard doesn't care, but if you would stay on hold with them instead of just redialing over and over again then you would get help. Even if your main gets stripped of all his stuff, server changed, and name changed, everything can be restored.
    Also this, you hang up and you're back at the end of the line. Stay on the line unless you absolutely have to hang up.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2010-06-26 at 09:48 PM.

"Account hacked and Blizz does nothing"

Except, you know.. bringing out Authenticator's months ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is nice to just sit here and watch all the time I have put into this game just disappear and Blizzard doesn't give a rats ass.

Webform + Call them. It'll take a week or two.

They have an incredible amount of restoration requests on a daily basis, and you just added to their already monumental pile of work. Way to go, bro.

Yep had it happen in BC. Took about a week to get it all back. Just gotta be patient.

Blizzard does care, they offer Authenticators at a financial loss of $6.99, which just covers the shipping. They do this so they don't have to spend thousands of hours handling the thousands of account restoration requests they get each day from ppl who are too cheap to pay that $6.99. Yet ppl still refuse to get an authenticator when there is even a free one for several different phones now. "Lol, I shouldn't have to waste an extra 5 seconds of my precious time entering an Authenticator Code", "Lol NOOB, I'm to 1337 to get hacked", "WTF, I pay $15 a month I shouldn't have to pay more just because Blizz has bad security". All the excuses and more have been uttered by the same ppl who come back to these forums weeks later QQing about getting hacked and how it's Blizzards fault.

Authenticators are like a Condom, they are only 99% effective, but you would be a fool not to use one with a girl as dirty as the internet. Consider waiting to get your account back like a trip to the free clinic, the price you pay for thinking you were too cool to need that condom.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2010-06-26 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomarl View Post
    ITT Retards who think an authenticator will protect you. How do you think you recover accounts that have authenticators on after being hacked?
    Well, I have never had to do this since I was smart enough to get an Authenticator and me and every friend of mine that has one have never been hacked while nearly every friend of mine that plays regularly and doesn't have one has gone through this process because their dumb asses got hacked.

It's my understanding that you have to call blizzard and give them a helluva lot more information than is required to hack into an unprotected account. So yeah, while an authenticator isn't a magic bullet, it's pure idiocy and recklessness to not have one.
    This signiture is brought to you by the letters F and U, and the number 2.

"I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

If you cba coughing up the price of a decent takeaway meal for near bulletproof account status (especially as you seem a little impatient/knee-jerky and are likely aware of this trait in yourself so may have thought "man i'll be pissed if my accounts hacked, ill get an authenticator") if you have a phone that isn't donkeys years old the mobile authenticator app is basically just as good and costs nothing.

The number of "I know how to keep things secure and don't fall for stupid things etc etc so don't need an authenticator" people amuse me. Consider this a lesson you will have to pay to a few days frayed patience for, compared to many lessons life teaches you that's a pretty cheap rate.

I run a decent virus checker, spybot S&D, a software firewall, a hardware firewall (no not NAT, my router actually has a hardware firewall) and firefox with noscripts. There will be little/nothing gets through all that (i've even considered running my browser in a sandbox/virtual machine but that's maybe taking things too far). I still haven't been stupid and bought an authenticator as soon as they re-stocked in europe after the initial batch sold out.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2010-06-26 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog74 View Post
    Well, I have never had to do this since I was smart enough to get an Authenticator and me and every friend of mine that has one have never been hacked while nearly every friend of mine that plays regularly and doesn't have one has gone through this process because their dumb asses got hacked.

It's my understanding that you have to call blizzard and give them a helluva lot more information than is required to hack into an unprotected account. So yeah, while an authenticator isn't a magic bullet, it's pure idiocy and recklessness to not have one.
    It's an extra layer of security for a nominal fee (or free for mobile ones). You're right, it's pretty stupid not to do it, and the arrogance of those who think they're too good for them is pretty funny.

You're never actually -safe- on the internet, no matter what you think. MMO-C could be infested with trojans one of these days before anyone reports it.

And to remove one, you have to provide them incredible amounts of information. Picture ID, your original WoW CD Key, among other things.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2010-06-26 at 09:57 PM.

I was hacked about 4 months ago. Been playing WoW roughly 4 years with payments made through my credit card each month since the first day playing. I'm also a dedicated raider, spending roughly 20 hours per week during progression and about 12 hours per week once content becomes farm. The point is, my ticket was answered within 30 mins and every item was restored in less then an hour. I don't feel this was lucky, I feel that they knew the subscriber (me) was higher priority because of payment history and dedication to the game. I also had an authenticator, so you're not 100% either way. Maybe my assumption is totally wrong, but when you wait 5-10 days for your items back and I wait less then an hour...explain to me why that is? I'm not personally attacking anyone or attempting to belittle someone, I'd really like to know what other reason it could be other then they put some sort of hierarchy into play when dealing with the huge amounts of hacked accounts. Maybe someone else can verify this with an experience like mine.

You either have a keylogger, or you have an horrible password such as "hackme123"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6 View Post
    I was hacked about 4 months ago. Been playing WoW roughly 4 years with payments made through my credit card each month since the first day playing. I'm also a dedicated raider, spending roughly 20 hours per week during progression and about 12 hours per week once content becomes farm. The point is, my ticket was answered within 30 mins and every item was restored in less then an hour. I don't feel this was lucky, I feel that they knew the subscriber (me) was higher priority because of payment history and dedication to the game. I also had an authenticator, so you're not 100% either way. Maybe my assumption is totally wrong, but when you wait 5-10 days for your items back and I wait less then an hour...explain to me why that is? I'm not personally attacking anyone or attempting to belittle someone, I'd really like to know what other reason it could be other then they put some sort of hierarchy into play when dealing with the huge amounts of hacked accounts. Maybe someone else can verify this with an experience like mine.
    I have experienced this, with tickets.
    I get my tickets answered/serviced within minutes, while it can take hours or even days for my friends to get replied (they're quite reckless and dumb in what they do).
    Last edited by Nielah; 2010-06-26 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dakeshi View Post
    People getting keylogged(HACKED) deserves it. It usually is all their fault that they got hacked (No, you didn't get a free mount from that website mr.Blizzlard whispered you ingame).
    I was going to respond to the OP, but when I read this, I had to point out how much of an idiot you are.

ITT Retards who think an authenticator will protect you. How do you think you recover accounts that have authenticators on after being hacked
    Ideally, you wouldn't have to, because with an authenticator, it wouldn't be compromised in the first place. If you think authenticators are useless scams, you're deluding yourself. It's certainly true that someone who is knowledgeable and cautious probably doesn't need one, but it's also certainly true that most people are not those things. It is a fact, not opinion, that an authenticator reduces the chance of your account being compromised almost completely. Without physical access to your authenticator, a malicious party cannot get into your account. Unless they manage to plant a keylogger on your machine when you log in, block the information you send from reaching Blizzard (As the code will become invalid when used), obtain the code themselves, and use it within 60 seconds before the code expires. Extremely unlikely unless the party is targeting you specifically, which would be a very costly and inefficient means of accessing people's accounts.

Moreover, "hack" is almost always misused. There's rarely, if ever, any actual "hacking" going on. It's almost entirely social engineering.

ITT Retards who think an authenticator will protect you. How do you think you recover accounts that have authenticators on after being hacked?

Anyways you deserve to lose your account for using Norton and giving out your information. You're probably too proud to admit that you gave all your account information to a phisher. Fyi when you get your account back you can at least enjoy your free core hound pet.
    What? You think Blizzard have to hack the account back or something? Are you retarded? Blizz walks through a process that confirms you are the account holder and just changes the settings server side.

You HONESTLY think that because Blizzard can get you an account back that a hacker puts an authenticator on that it makes them insecure?!?!

If I missed some sarcasm there, sorry that was a little too dry.

To make it clear - with the new man in the middle/redirect info trojan authenticators are no longer 100% but they deal with 99% of the crap out there.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2010-06-26 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Anti-virus programs dont stop you getting the virus' Its your job to not get them. They just try to remove them or stop them from getting in. Norton is one of the worst anti-virus system IMO, I reccomend avast or panda
    Geeza aka Parilla

Deleted
    i was hacked, got it back 5 mins after i noticed, all gear was back within 1 hour. no authenticator on my acc, i bought one... to lazy to apply it. busy gaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nielah View Post
    So true.
    I second that. When my bro writes tickets he never gets answered, and he writes like an ass. I try to write as perfect as possible, got answered in 10 minutes. this isn't just a one-time incident either. Happens every time I write a ticket. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolour nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

Excuse me, but just how stupid are you? If your account is compromised and an authenticator is placed on it, you call Blizzard and prove your identity, and it's removed. You do the same thing if you have a legitimately authenticated account and you lose the authenticator/phone/whatever.

If you think that account 'hackers' can just do the same thing to get your own authenticator removed...you're a moron. Chinese gold sellers can't pretend to be you over the phone, numbnuts.

Think a little before opening your mouth next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertinax View Post
    I don't have one or use one.
    Then it's your own damn fault.

As for Blizzard, it'll take a few days to get your account back. Suck it up. It's the price you paid for not having an Authenticator to begin with.

I don't have an authenticator, and never got banned, I'm playing for 3 years. Maybe I will buy it some day... Most of people getting banned probably openned some mail from unknown source, or was buying gold, which is like willingly giving their passes to chinese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.