Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Guild services costing money is insulting too me.

I've played lots of MMO's and the ones that charge you for in game transactions are the ones without a monthly fee.Yet blizz not only charges a monthly fee but it also charges you for everything from name change to server change.And now these new guild services some costing up to 40 USD.I find it pretty insulting, what about you guys?

A for profit company is for profit.

Editing so people who can't read past the first three replies won't feel the need to correct this.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-10-26 at 02:18 AM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

None is holding a gun on your forehead and telling you to purchase those services, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    It's far cheaper than everyone transferring on their own, and you keep all of your Guild Benefits. Sounds fine.
    No it isn't, each person still has to pay for their own transfer per character.

WTB a bulk transfer package deal.

Edit: I don't have any issue with charging for this service, but it would be nice for close knit guilds where players have many toons to have some large package that everyone could split the cost of or something at a large discount. I mean, we have 12 main players, each has like 3x 85s... prohibitively expensive as our faction on our server dies.
    Last edited by UunaPriest; 2011-10-26 at 12:49 AM.

That price comes in right about where I expected it to. On demand server transfers have never been free. Regardless of what people think, a business is going to charge what they believe the market will sustain. People will pay for this service.

Personally, I do not find it insulting, it is a business, doing what businesses do, generating revenue for their shareholders. If you find this insulting, perhaps North Korea might be more to your liking, where everyone simply works for the state.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were free you would be changing servers every other day. It would ruin economies, and any sense of server togetherness.

Quote Originally Posted by UunaPriest View Post
    No it isn't, each person still has to pay for their own transfer per character.

WTB a bulk transfer package deal.
    Whoops, I totally misread that.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

you act as though it doesn't put any stress on the servers by adding this function

but yeah... I guess you're right, those f2p mmos have millions of people playing, and if they all decide to transfer one day the servers will be fine.

Compared to Rift all server transfers are free only a 7day cooldown to all servers, yea it's a rip off for sure:P

That's why you put a massive cooldown on it (if...anything involving name changes/faction/server/guild blah was free which it never will be)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Compared to Rift all server transfers are free only a 7day cooldown to all servers, yea it's a rip off for sure:P
    People keep comparing WoW to Rift, but where is rifts 9million + subscribers? If everyone in WoW opted for server transfers every 7 days, it would blow server stability out of the water. Rift only offers free transfers to keep the few players they have happy.

So lets make guild xfer services for free so every guild decides to xfer to a different realm at the same time just cause they "can for free" and when we have major server lag on already highly populated servers we'll know why. They charge a fee because they don't WANT people to do it on a whim...charging people for these services makes people be 100% sure they want to spend the money on it. If you make services like that free the second people don't like someone else or think their realm is full of trolls they move. It costs blizz money to maintain their game. And most services other "free to play" games offer are usually in terms of gear/cosmetic items. Games that allow "free" realm xfers usually let you choose the realm you want to log on when you start up the game. Blizz doesn't require anyone to use their services. Also, there is nothing you can't do in WoW that requires you to pay more than the $15 monthly fee. Free to play games require you to spend additional money for most of the things that affect your gameplay, and unless you pay you can never be the top player...and sadly free to play games would end up costing you more per month in terms of paid services than blizzard would cost you doing one realm guild xfer and the monthly fee over time. I've seen people spend nearly $50 just to play facebook games. So people can complain all they want, but blizzard is not NEAR as bad as most free to play games are.

EDIT: I seen some people suggest massive cool downs for free xfers...except even with massive cool downs WoW still has a good 9+ million subscribers...that's a WHOLE lot of people that can xfer whenever they see fit, and ironically most people would do it within the first couple of weeks of the release and probably end up causing major server crash. So it still isn't a viable option...not to mention people would still be able to constantly switch just because of the amount of people playing. Could they make it cheaper? Possibly. But you still want people to make intelligent decisions based off of what they think is best for themselves/their guild. You don't want to make it to where the second a guild gets ninja'd because they joined with another guild to do a 25 man they end up xfer'ing or something. Blizz wants people to use this service so guilds that maybe decided they wanted to be a pvp guild but they are on a pve realm so are having a harder time recruiting, they can just join a pvp realm and possibly have more luck accomplishing their goals as a guild. They also want to help out low pop realms that might not have a lot of players to recruit an option to change to a bigger realm so they can be a bigger guild. It's not meant just so people can xfer just because someone made them mad. But that's it for my little rant. Take what you will of it.
    Last edited by Deadraline; 2011-10-26 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    you DO know why they did that right?

*CoughAvoidingServerMergersCough*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsrage123 View Post
    I've played lots of MMO's and the ones that charge you for in game transactions are the ones without a monthly fee.Yet blizz not only charges a monthly fee but it also charges you for everything from name change to server change.And now these new guild services some costing up to 40 USD.I find it pretty insulting, what about you guys?
    Just out of curiosity, but how is something you log off, go to a website outside the game, pay there, THEN come back constitute an in-game transaction?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like it join me and the some odd thousands who quit the game

but where is rifts 9million + subscribers?
    they all came back to wow after they got bored with rift after a month of them quitting WoW.i mean,with the amount of people who talk about it on wow forums id assume that over half the people playing rift were ex wow players

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Just out of curiosity, but how is something you log off, go to a website outside the game, pay there, THEN come back constitute an in-game transaction?
    It affects the gameplay.

Even if you pay from a menu in the game (like LotR) the process is the same.

Everyone, has a point of view. Mine is, it is insulting. Look at the prices 20 to 65 dollars. They are playing off peoples desperate mode. I suppose it should be more obvious Blizzard is a company after all. Maybe 7 years of raking in income has changed them to lose touch with the player base. Their will always be ways to make money from the game. Their's have been so obvious, first the companion pet's 10 dollars. Then the BOE, you can sell for in game gold(a direct contradiction of their buying gold for cash though it's nearly endorsed here as long as Blizzard get's a slice of the cake)Faction changes 30 dollars. You couldn't charge 15 or even 12. You have to change the amount for nearly two months of playing time.

People will pay for it. When they are sitting in front of the PC for hours on end. 30 dollars to see an entire new faction. They recently have been adding more features but expensive price tags on it. Usually charging more then one month subscribers for it. I firmly believe their will be a point when the players who have the most money to spend out of game. Will have a massive advantage against those who don't. Imagine if a player can sell a Boe directly from blizzard and resell it in game for gold. A player does that enough he can have tons of gold. He can buy anything from AH. It won't matter how many hours others put in their toons. It's a slippery slope they are on in the end they are a business.

But do they want to pull a Netflix? when Netflix announced a price hike they were hit with nearly a million people quitting. A million people have already quit blizzard but if they stay in this decline (Not saying they will) their stocks could fall. I don't claim to know what happened to Blizzard but the feeling lately has been very different. From Blizzcon situation and they staying silent on the entire matter to these new prices very expensive.

A million people have already quit blizzard but if they stay in this decline (Not saying they will) their stocks could fall.
    but they will always have the most annoying kind of people in this game.the ones that hate the game,and bitch and moan every chance they get and say this game sucks and hate it.yet what do they do? still play it

me personally,raiding is still fun.so is pvp,once those 2 things get boring.im probably gonna end up leaving