Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking it'll be a step beyond wow, or even several several steps. I still remember picking my warrior race by which heroic strike didn't make me want to stab someone after seeing it fifteen times in a row (I'm looking at you dwarves)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoan View Post
    I'm thinking it'll be a step beyond wow, or even several several steps. I still remember picking my warrior race by which heroic strike didn't make me want to stab someone after seeing it fifteen times in a row (I'm looking at you dwarves)
    I rolled a troll female warrior, because I loved the concept.

But after a while I actually payed to change her to male because the special attack animation was so freaking horrible. It looked like she was breaking her spine every time she hit something with HS.

Not to mention every now and then, because of latency, half of her body would kind of lag behind a tad and it looked VERY freaky, like a plastic doll. It was subtle, but once I noticed it bugged me incredibly.

And then Heroic Leap animation for trolls is horrible too imo. Looks like they were kicked in the ass by a giant rather than jumping themselves.

But I made my peace with that, at least you never cast HL too often.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintphoenix View Post
    LOL sorry mate but i think ur watching the wrong game,<Snip> this games combat owns wows, no auto attacks so u do everything is awesome, and ive avoided playing almost every other star wars games about jedi for that reason, they all are stiff, this is NOT
    Noone mentioned WOW, but thanks for the obligatory bring-up of wow.

To the OP, is it clunky or is it stiff? those two things are pretty different.

Bioware has put significant effort into making game play feel and look interactive instead of two guys with light sabers hacking and slashing themselves to bits. From nearly all of SW lore fights are epic and exciting, often determined by single slashes/laser blasts, and Bioware wants to preserve that aspect. As you engage in combat it will be apparent that the "fluent" style of chain-casting/slashing will not be the case. imo, this is huge plus,as its asthmatically superior, refreshing, original, and will do nothing but improve in quality as the game gets its final polishing. make no mistake, this game will be visually awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The thing is, these are pretty much the equivalent of the royal guard. These are the most disciplined fighters in the galaxy. They stand up straight because that is how to be at your best. These are not slouches. They are focused, fighting machines.

That said, I do not feel that my character needs to limber-up in front of me.

I see your point, but a focused fighting machine doesn't stiff his body up to absolute attention in the field, that would be ridiculous. Such slight movements, indicationg that the character is acctualy alive, and not just a sprite, does add a surprising amount of depth.

It is so hard to keep myself to NDA when these threads pop up. Being in beta is awesome, being unable to provide information isn't.

Deleted
    Want to know why it looks clunky? No auto attack.

Im being serious

I find it funny that WoW is going to less auto attack formats themselves. The new Monk class has zero auto attacks. Just a curious observation.

Deleted
    Y'think? To me it felt like a more action- and strategy-oriented variant on the same formula WoW uses. Honestly, it was like if you'd take out auto attacks and add more active participation to WoW combat. So I do not see how it could be viewed as stiff. :/

And yes, I've played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Want to know why it looks clunky? No auto attack.
    By that logic the new class of the MoP expansion (which you seem to be pretty excited about judging by your sig) will be clunky too.

Not that I think it's valid logic, but hey, you're a free man, employ whatever logic you want.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    It is so hard to keep myself to NDA when these threads pop up. Being in beta is awesome, being unable to provide information isn't.
    Someday the people with actual in depth knowledge of the game will be able to speak their mind lol. Someday. And then you can watch the threads with random and ill-informed criticism bleed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Someday the people with actual in depth knowledge of the game will be able to speak their mind lol. Someday. And then you can watch the threads with random and ill-informed criticism bleed.
    That's a nice dream to have. =)

But WoW isn't under NDA and still these forums are rife with misinformation and trolling.

The people that are complaining about TOR will just find something else to complain about or become more creative in complaining about the old things.
    After all, you can't contest an "opinion" if somebody says they think the animations are low-quality from their PoV.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Right because that have anything to do with auto-attack.

Seeing your post history you are only a wow-fanboy who want to pick a fight.
    The man has a valid point and you instantly attack him on personal level. Who's the real fan boy here?

No auto attack will make it look clunky in my eyes too. I didn't like how combat looked like about half a year ago when I saw first pics/vids and I still don't like how it looks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    The man has a valid point and you instantly attack him on personal level. Who's the real fan boy here?

No auto attack will make it look clunky in my eyes too. I didn't like how combat looked like about half a year ago when I saw first pics/vids and I still don't like how it looks.
    So, again, by this logic, will the Monk's gameplay be clunky and stiff too?

Deleted
    From a reply to a similar thread on the official forums that did not get removed for NDA breach one user said while he thought like this before getting into the beta, he never ever again even remotely noticed it being choppy and stiff while playing.

I gotta admit the videos (even the most recent) do seem to give the combat a stilted, rigid look as the OP stated. however I think gameplay wise it will look better, the characters in these demo videos don't move around like an actual player will, it should be okay.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    So, again, by this logic, will the Monk's gameplay be clunky and stiff too?
    Yes. With info I currently have I presume it will look clunky and most likely feel clunky too. But it's still so far away in the future that I can't say anything for sure before I actually see level cap monk in action in real enviroment instead of random promo videos with one or two skills in showcase.

Just like whole TOR combat system looks currently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. With info I currently have I presume it will look clunky and most likely feel clunky too. But it's still so far away in the future that I can't say anything for sure before I actually see level cap monk in action in real enviroment instead of random promo videos with one or two skills in showcase.

Just like whole TOR combat system looks currently.
    I see. We must have different perceptions of "stiff" and "clunky" then. I've watched dozens of TOR footage videos so far, including stuff from beta before the NDA started being enforced more strictly, and I haven't seen anything that reminded me of those definitions for the last 3 or so beta builds. Not even slightly.

There are some old videos dating back 5+ beta builds that have stuff that could be described as "stiff", but that was a long time ago.

P.S. The video in your sig is disturbing in more ways than one.

10+ Year Old Account

Actually, he didn't instantly attack him on a personal level. He addressed the "valid point" with "Right because that have anything to do with auto-attack" and then revealed the ulterior motives of pro-wow anti-everythingelse fanboyism. If it isn't appropriate to call people out on their BS, then what is okay to you? Should we completely ignore people's "valid points" because we know they're just rancoring? Or should we just continue to address the same insanity and rancoring that has happened and will continue to happen? Personally, I'd rather cut it down at the root and move on than endure endless bickering and rancoring. Fair enough?

And while you're definitely entitled to your opinion, I'm failing to understand why you're coming in here to white knight for someone whose sole purpose was to come and flame a game neither they nor you have any interest in. The funny thing about you defending him is I've looked through your post history and it looks like you are exactly the same way. I'm loving reading through your comments in other threads that clearly elicit your true feelings about this game. Now, pray tell me, what drew you to this thread?

Well there is some validity to the statement about no auto-attack contributing to it. I think it's that combination with the global cooldown that can make it...not as smooth. There are a lot of other games out there that don't have auto-attack and the combat looks fine, but I don't recall them having a global cooldown to make it appear as if your characters is not doing anything in between attacks.