Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Is exactly what I'm saying. Why have different races? > Player preference, so players can say ''LOL i can haz green skin''.
    Because it has to fit into the Lore. There has to be precedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not neck deep into lore at all, I've just read a few tidbits. But if these guys here are saying that mounts don't make sense, they don't make sense. I trust their opinions and their word on this game.

Honestly, I'm glad mounts aren't set to be in the game. It allows me to explore waaaay more of the area without feeling like I'm being second-rate and not using a boosted speed. With WoW, I always wanted to explore and have time to go run off a bit, but I was always in a hurry getting from point A to point B on my +300 whatever % mount that I never got to see the world as much as I wanted to.

Just my two cents.

This morning you didn't even know how combat worked and now you apparently know what's best for the game...
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Because it has to fit into the Lore. There has to be precedence.
    The designers can create this precedence. If they don't want to ''shit all over their lore'' by adding a cool (yes subjective, but true for many) feature to the game then the designers seem very narrow minded to me.

I don't really care if there are or not. What I do care is if they are put in then they need to implemented correctly. It better not be a mount-in-a-pocket like they are in WoW/Rift.

But I wouldn't mind my own Siege Devourer though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    I'm not neck deep into lore at all, I've just read a few tidbits. But if these guys here are saying that mounts don't make sense, they don't make sense. I trust their opinions and their word on this game.

Honestly, I'm glad mounts aren't set to be in the game. It allows me to explore waaaay more of the area without feeling like I'm being second-rate and not using a boosted speed. With WoW, I always wanted to explore and have time to go run off a bit, but I was always in a hurry getting from point A to point B on my +300 whatever % mount that I never got to see the world as much as I wanted to.

Just my two cents.

This morning you didn't even know how combat worked and now you apparently know what's best for the game...
    Like I said, the mounts can be 0% IMS. It doesn't take a nuclear scientist to understand that funding for a nuclear research program is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see where you're coming from, and I understand why you might want them. But you have to understand Guild Wars 2. There's no place for mounts in it, like he's said there's not really any animals out there that can perform mount-like duties. ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 staff is dedicated to lore and will run the game based on it. That's what makes Guild Wars...Guild Wars.

Its almost like suggesting jetpacks. Just to have them on your back and look cool...but they don't do anything. If someone were to suggest that you'd be like...Whaat you're crazy get out of here. Some of us see mounts as figurative "jetpacks."

Deleted
    The designers can create this precedence. If they don't want to ''shit all over their lore'' by adding a cool (yes subjective, but true for many) feature to the game then the designers seem very narrow minded to me.
    Arenanet want to stick to lore that's how they've always done it when designing GW2 there not going to 'shit all over their lore' to please a select few when it ruins their image of a game they wish to create.

Is exactly what I'm saying. Why have different races? > Player preference, so players can say ''LOL i can haz green skin''.
    Racial variety is a completely different subject as that truly changes the player's experience; mounts, or the lack thereof, should not have so drastic an impact on general gameplay if there are viable alternatives for transportation.

Like I said, the mounts can be 0% IMS. It doesn't take a nuclear scientist to understand that funding for a nuclear research program is a good thing.
    But you're still failing to meet your burden of proof. Why are mounts good if they don't help you get around? For the sake of people with an OCD for collectibles?
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    Racial variety is a completely different subject as that truly changes the player's experience; mounts, or the lack thereof, should not have so drastic an impact on general gameplay if there are viable alternatives for transportation.

But you're still failing to meet your burden of proof. Why are mounts good if they don't help you get around? For the sake of people with an OCD for collectibles?
    How does being a Asura or a Norn affect how we experience a boss encounter? Riding a mount makes me feel like I'm a big epic journey that required a mount for me to get there in stead of me thinking ''yeah I'll just walk there''.

BUT the posts above you made me realise that Guild Wars revolves around lore and around lore alone. Making those that like lore happy, but restriciting their playerbase at the same time. I did not know this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's how a game should be made in my opinion. Blizzard's done the equivalant to a Shark-riding, lazer shooting t-rex popping up from the ground in a Call of Duty game to some of their lore. I think it just makes sense for a game to follow its lore...why wouldn't it?

Deleted
    Well that's how a game should be made in my opinion. Blizzard's done the equivalant to a Shark-riding, lazer shooting t-rex popping up from the ground in a Call of Duty game to some of their lore. I think it just makes sense for a game to follow its lore...why wouldn't it?
    Following lore sure, but to what extend? I can't help but think you're handicapping yourself if you don't want to make minor additions to the lore for any reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't really paid attention to the mess that WoW lore is now...

How does being a Asura or a Norn affect how we experience a boss encounter?
    One thing would be racial abilities available (Shapeshifts for Norn, Golems for Asura). A long with personal story lines that lead up to the boss fight.

BUT the posts above you made me realise that Guild Wars revolves around lore and around lore alone. Making those that like lore happy, but restriciting their playerbase at the same time. I did not know this.
    No, Guild Wars revolves around making sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe they're against making minor additions, but I'm not one to talk in depth about it; since I'm not well "educated" on the lore of Guild Wars. Not sure how they can go around explaining that multiple animal species popped up out of nowhere after hundreds of years.

Deleted
    You haven't really paid attention to the mess that WoW lore is now...

No, Guild Wars revolves around making sense.
    If you hadn't noticed by now; I give fuck all about lore. Nor do I want my video games to make sense, that's why they are video games. Furthermore ''making sense'' appearantly is relative to how you look at things, flying-swimming-toxic dragons make sense? Well not in my world, but I love it! You're just incredibly narrow minded thinking mounts can't be added with some additions to the lore.

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 10:38 PM ----------

I don't believe they're against making minor additions, but I'm not one to talk in depth about it; since I'm not well "educated" on the lore of Guild Wars. Not sure how they can go around explaining that multiple animal species popped up out of nowhere after hundreds of years.
    How about travellers from another, undiscovered continent? Or does the lore include lore/knowledge on every single planet in the guild wars universe?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hadn't noticed by now; I give fuck all about lore. Nor do I want my video games to make sense, that's why they are video games. Furthermore ''making sense'' appearantly is relative to how you look at things, flying-swimming-toxic dragons make sense? Well not in my world, but I love it! You're just incredibly narrow minded thinking mounts can't be added with some additions to the lore.
    Then don't fucking play Guild Wars 2, seriously, if mounts are what makes a game better than another, then go play rift, or back to WoW, they've got hundreds of mounts there that don't make any sense (dragon mounts equates to slavery, they're sentient beings).

The Gameplay of Guild Wars 2 is designed to be fun.
    The Lore of Guild Wars 2 is designed to make sense in the Guild Wars Universe. Mounts do NOT make sense because there is a severe lack of animals to domesticate and mount.

Deleted
    Then don't fucking play Guild Wars 2, seriously, if mounts are what makes a game better than another, then go play rift, or back to WoW, they've got hundreds of mounts there that don't make any sense (dragon mounts equates to slavery, they're sentient beings).

The Gameplay of Guild Wars 2 is designed to be fun.
    The Lore of Guild Wars 2 is designed to make sense in the Guild Wars Universe. Mounts do NOT make sense because there is a severe lack of animals to domesticate and mount.
    GOOD GRIEF you must have had trouble finding a game you were able to enjoy; ''dragon mounts equates to slavery, they're sentient beings'' then what does slaying a dragon equate to? Slaughtering those that we once had as slaves? The cage and restrictions you call your lore is something I will never enjoy, but I think I will enjoy Gw2.

Deleted
    Since this is going no where, I think this thread needs a lock.

10+ Year Old Account
    GOOD GRIEF you must have had trouble finding a game you were able to enjoy; ''dragon mounts equates to slavery, they're sentient beings'' then what does slaying a dragon equate to? Slaughtering those that we once had as slaves? The cage and restrictions you call your lore is something I will never enjoy, but I think I will enjoy Gw2.
    No, actually, I enjoy a lot of games. Especially the ones that have things implemented that make sense to the Universe of the game.

Deleted
    No, actually, I enjoy a lot of games. Especially the ones that have things implemented that make sense to the Universe of the game.
    Please answer me this; if dragon mounts equate to slavery then what does killing a dragon equate to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Since this is going no where, I think this thread needs a lock.
    I agree 100%

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 04:51 PM ----------

Please answer me this; if dragon mounts equates to slavery then what does killing a dragon equate to?
    Killing a dragon.