Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    ppl are buzzing over weekend beta rumours on the official forums (yes I went there I know I shouldnt), taking those rumours with a huge grain of salt ofc but still hoping!
    If the new build is out and playable by this weekend ~ 11/5 then there could be some weekend invites for the 12th. Without a doubt there should be a huge beta invite before or the weekend of Thanksgiving.

It looks to be an "open beta" of sorts and there going to invite a buttload of folks and everyone is going to have access to the same forums to try to get some last minute feedback and stress testing in.

---------- Post added 2011-11-01 at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dakumaul View Post
    I just want to point out to you friend that if you do skip over choices your light side/ dark side bar will be messed up kinda bad and also you may miss some good upgrades by not knowing what choices you make. I did the lvl race in wow and yes you can skip text on that game and it makes no mistakes but in swtor you can make mistakes in a sense by picking random answers. Also last point by rushing up there you will have to wait for people to catch up to do anything so its kinda a waste of time not money.
    Can't go into details, but you can skip all the dialogue and cutscenes and still make the correct ds/ls choice to go your destined path.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Why is it so hard to believe that some people just enjoy endgame, and not levelling?
    Because "leveling" in TOR isn't the boring irrelevant "when will this be over" type process as it is in WoW atm.

It's an immersive story, like a single player RPG.

Rushing to endgame is like picking up a single player game, skipping through 99% of the content, ignoring the story and everything that's going on around you because you "want to get to the final boss quicker".
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    And some people do that in single player games. Their reasons are their own. My problem with talks like this are that the people that "only want to get to endgame" come in and tell the people that want the stroy that they are wrong, and stupid for wanting to "waste" their time with it, and that the majority agree.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    And some people do that in single player games. Their reasons are their own. My problem with talks like this are that the people that "only want to get to endgame" come in and tell the people that want the stroy that they are wrong, and stupid for wanting to "waste" their time with it, and that the majority agree.
    It seems like a weird philosophy to me.

Might as well stop reading books and watching movies too then.

Why can't you enjoy both the endgame and the story. The only advantage you gain over rushing is a few days time, maybe less. And you lose a lot more.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

I tend to rush through single player games because if I don't get it done and out of the way soon, I'll never beat it. The list of games I've almost beat is pretty long, but other distractions come along and I never go back. Sometimes, like with games like Lego Harry Potter, I REALLY take the time to get 100%. However, with the current season the way it is... I'm trying to soak up BF3, Skyrim, Zelda, Possible Drakes, Possibly Harry Potter 5-7, and ALL of those stop once SWTOR come out. If I can beat one of that group, BF3 excluded because I'm a multiplayer guy... I'll be amazed!

With SWTOR, as I do with most MMOs I dedicate to, I spend TONS of time playing. I'll be taking my time and doing everything I possibly can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkconater View Post
    I tend to rush through single player games because if I don't get it done and out of the way soon, I'll never beat it. The list of games I've almost beat is pretty long, but other distractions come along and I never go back. Sometimes, like with games like Lego Harry Potter, I REALLY take the time to get 100%. However, with the current season the way it is... I'm trying to soak up BF3, Skyrim, Zelda, Possible Drakes, Possibly Harry Potter 5-7, and ALL of those stop once SWTOR come out. If I can beat one of that group, BF3 excluded because I'm a multiplayer guy... I'll be amazed!

With SWTOR, as I do with most MMOs I dedicate to, I spend TONS of time playing. I'll be taking my time and doing everything I possibly can.
    Why would you rush through Skyrim?

Iirc it's a plot-based RPG too. You're losing more than half of the enjoyment with those kind of games if you don't take the time to soak it all up.

Better to postpone playing it than to play it in a manner that degrades the enjoyment you get out of the game.

I ended up going back to Oblivion WAY after I had bought it... so MAYBE I'll go back... I just have a lot I want to try out before SWTOR comes out... but I work 40 hours a week and have a 2 year old so... I have to be realistic.

I am kinda doing everything backwards, I'm seeing my class story in beta right now and enjoying it, while at the same time learning my main 2 classes. I am also trying to play each AC to 20 or so to get an idea of each. On live I will be going a great deal faster than I am now.

So on live I will be rushing to get to end game, in a sense. But that is mainly due to the fact that I am GM of my guild and want to have a solid grasp of everything in the game by the time the bulk of my members level up.

I am going to totally save the Republic side stories for when I get bored enough to roll opp faction alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkconater View Post
    I ended up going back to Oblivion WAY after I had bought it... so MAYBE I'll go back... I just have a lot I want to try out before SWTOR comes out... but I work 40 hours a week and have a 2 year old so... I have to be realistic.
    As I said, better to postpone it 'till you can enjoy it fully, even if that date is months away, rather than rush through in a haphazard manner barely understanding what's going on.

At least that's my take on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh, it's usually the other way around on these forums, lots of examples in this thread alone. Why can't people just accept that everyone will play the game in his/her own way, whether that means skipping trough most of the content or taking it slow and starting endgame a bit later, who the hell cares what other people do?
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but it's oft times provoked by people starting off by saying something negative about the story actually being a driving force in the game. The "I don't care about story", I don't want to listen to them", "No one wanted to waste their time", etc. And that's why people who love the story element defend that aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh, it's usually the other way around on these forums, lots of examples in this thread alone. Why can't people just accept that everyone will play the game in his/her own way, whether that means skipping trough most of the content or taking it slow and starting endgame a bit later, who the hell cares what other people do?
    When a person is sitting on a stool cutting of his own foot with a rusty saw, I will probably at least stop and ask him why he is doing such an illogical thing.

If he says it's a decision he's made, I'll probably respect it, but I will still think it's kind of weird.

Plus what Trollsbane said above me is a factor too. The "I plan to rush to endgame" is often more than a personal choice but often a hint/implication that the story is a negative thing and ignoring it is the sensible thing to do.

Not saying you personally are propagating that, just saying I've seen these kind of ideas around here a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    When a person is sitting on a stool cutting of his own foot with a rusty saw, I will probably at least stop and ask him why he is doing such an illogical thing.

If he says it's a decision he's made, I'll probably respect it, but I will still think it's kind of weird.

Plus what Trollsbane said above me is a factor too. The "I plan to rush to endgame" is often more than a personal choice but often a hint/implication that the story is a negative thing and ignoring it is the sensible thing to do.

Not saying you personally are propagating that, just saying I've seen these kind of ideas around here a lot.
    for me personally, the reason I will just rush to endgame is not because I don't like story in games (Although I am getting tired of hearing the word 1000 times per minute on MMO sites these days ) I just don't like the way BW presents the story in its games. I will play sweater like I've played every mmo up till now. try to get in as many dungeons runs as possible while levelling, and rush trough quests inbetween, to start raiding asap.

Who knows, maybe bioware amazes me while I'm levelling
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    for me personally, the reason I will just rush to endgame is not because I don't like story in games (Although I am getting tired of hearing the word 1000 times per minute on MMO sites these days ) I just don't like the way BW presents the story in its games. I will play sweater like I've played every mmo up till now. try to get in as many dungeons runs as possible while levelling, and rush trough quests inbetween, to start raiding asap.

Who knows, maybe bioware amazes me while I'm levelling
    I just can't help but that think that with that disposition, this game might not be your cup of tea. But then again, who am I to judge that. I'm a heavily biased person in that regard, I was enthralled by the storytelling in every Bioware game (except Jade Empire which I still haven't played).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I just can't help but that think that with that disposition, this game might not be your cup of tea. But then again, who am I to judge that. I'm a heavily biased person in that regard, I was enthralled by the storytelling in every Bioware game (except Jade Empire which I still haven't played).
    Meh, I try every new MMO that comes out, and even without the whole story thing, sweater looks like one of the best that's come out recently
    The combat looks good enough, and pvp (although I'll want something more than only BG's post-launch) looks fun.

and above all, lightsabers are sweet
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

my only real stance is the people that just out to skip everything and power level through everything to end game right away will be the ones to complain and say the game sucks and go back to WoW. if you don't want to enjoy the story and the game itself then you are most likely better off with WoW where you power through everything, never read anything, and it doesn't matter.

I just don't see what the rush is. sure WoW was competitive, but it didn't have a new feel and nothing drew you in. you out level stuff as you go now.

when the powerlevelers are done they'll be posting and complaining. there won't be that many people at end game yet, so that will make them complain. It doesn't make sense.

if you honestly don't like bioware story or gameplay then yeah this isn't the game for you. rushing through everything and being bored waiting for others to level up to endgame won't be fun. I just think you are looking at the game for something it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    my only real stance is the people that just out to skip everything and power level through everything to end game right away will be the ones to complain and say the game sucks and go back to WoW. if you don't want to enjoy the story and the game itself then you are most likely better off with WoW where you power through everything, never read anything, and it doesn't matter.

I just don't see what the rush is. sure WoW was competitive, but it didn't have a new feel and nothing drew you in. you out level stuff as you go now.

when the powerlevelers are done they'll be posting and complaining. there won't be that many people at end game yet, so that will make them complain. It doesn't make sense.

if you honestly don't like bioware story or gameplay then yeah this isn't the game for you. rushing through everything and being bored waiting for others to level up to endgame won't be fun. I just think you are looking at the game for something it's not.
    For me personally, I don't really think lack of other people at max level will be a problem, I'm used to it in every MMO I play, since I always rush to endgame on my first character (I usually take it a bit slower the second time around). That said, if the endgame is good enough, people can just jump into raiding at max lvl and have fun, like in any other MMO to date. I don't really see the problem for people like me.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

What people dont seem to realize is that a major part of max level content is doing story driven quests. This game offers nothing that other MMO's doesnt already offer at max lvl except for having ALOT of story.
    Why people would want to rush to "endgame" in this game beats me.

EDIT: There will also probably be alot of people quitting after the first month because they have "nothing to do". While still havent completed a single max lvl quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    What people dont seem to realize is that a major part of max level content is doing story driven quests. This game offers nothing that other MMO's doesnt already offer at max lvl except for having ALOT of story.
    Why people would want to rush to "endgame" in this game beats me.

EDIT: There will also probably be alot of people quitting after the first month because they have "nothing to do". While still havent completed a single max lvl quest.
    Not entirely true, but I see what you are trying to say.
    We don't know everything (well, anything really), about endgame. There still may be things we haven't seen yet, and they have eluded to as much.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-01 at 09:02 PM.

Ehhh, it's forum and people are always going to share their thoughts and to often, not just in games but in everything, a lot of people like to 'impose' their thought as fact and the correct way. The way I see it is simple, it's everyone's own money being spent to play the game and they are entitled to play it the way they like and as others have said, who cares what someone else is going to with their experience. It has no or should have any impact on someone else's experiance. It never stops amazing me how many people get defensive over the simple things like this. Your game play is your experiance and yours alone, approach it that way.

On topic, I hope most of the peopke who have not gotten into a Beta weekend yet, get to this time around. My suggestion to those that do and have not yet, use the time to get a feel for the game and explore the classes you are interested in. Yes it's feels like other MMO's in terms of actual action but in the same token, it also feels very different.

Good luck to everyone with getting the next Beta.