Well, technically 'good people' are the minority throughout all of Eorzea. Ul'dah has been shown to be rotten to the core beyond a few reasonable individuals who try to do the best they can despite their hands being largely tied. Limsa is shown to be a very dangerous place through the ROG class quests (though that isn't too surprising given that it's largely made up of pirates - many of whom wish to go back to their old ways of pillaging and chaos).

One of the main reasons why the Warrior of Light is so well liked is because he's one of the few people to stop and listen to the plights of those he meets. Most just turn a blind eye, cause more issues themselves or aren't strong enough to make a difference. Even the guards in many nations are prone to corruption/being bribed to cause trouble themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Doubly true, I do admire a game with complex morality with the caveat that there's at least one side that's unambiguously good in every way to balance it out, otherwise it just becomes insufferably grimdark *coughcatacylsmcough*

Still, a lot of Ishgard is pretty much just good people caught up in a fight they don't understand because of what corruption is there, it's all in the ruling classes, that's part of what I'm so looking forward to about future content patches is how the commonfolk and ruling caste both react to the destruction of the Holy See and the Dragonsong war coming to a close.

I think the issue is that you don't see nearly as much good in Ishgard as you do bad, for every one Haurchefaunt there's ten of that dickbag temple knight from the DRK storyline who tries to use his authority to get away with rape. By the time you start seeing morally positive people in Ishgard city proper, the story is moving you out of that region.
    Agree. I was thinking about it the other day, the whole nation-building thing Aymeric has to face - how to balance the angry, wronged poor people vs the elite who want to preserve the current state of affairs, and who'd actually support him. Then I realize how this issue, like the corruption in Ul'dah and the Doman refugee crisis is much too much like real life and I'm all THIS IS MEANT TO BE A FANTASY GAME! XD

But I AM torn. I'm a complete Aymeric fan, and after THAT DRK quest, I was wondering what his stance on the Au Ra was. Same with Haurchefant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The entire DRK quest chain - from start to finish - constantly had me wondering what the fuck everyone in Ishgard must be thinking about me.
    Don't worry about it.

My biggest problem with the orbs was grabbing a red and then running for a black and someone popping a red when I was just barely in the edge of the red's AOE and killing me.

Nah, the worst is when you pop one type of orb, then see someone pop the opposite type (aka the one you need), then another... and maybe a third that kills them. Then you're left with like 5 of the orb you already popped behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The only thing I don't like about Fractal is the second boss, mostly because the ton swing/slam bosses are the few bosses that have a 180 attack mechanic without a ground template, I am trying to watch the name of the attack and I am like, was that 1111 ton swing or 111 ton slam? Run anyways... damn wasn't it and lost dps... okay was that slam or swing? Run... I thought I was far away and still got hit.... fuck!
    A tip for cyclops like bosses:
    - If he grabs his weapon with both hands close to his forehead: Run far away (360° attack, usually a 1 shot on Coerthas' fate even for tanks)
    - If he lifts up his arm for a single handed swipe: You can stay put as long as you are not in front of him (45° or so frontal cone attack)

Wooo hit level 60. Now the real fun begins...endgame.

So overwhelmed, don't even know where to start LOL. Really should start crafting I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post

So overwhelmed, don't even know where to start LOL. Really should start crafting I think.
    Grats! Welcome to the hamster wheel. XD

Asuming you are doing PvE here are some pointers:
    - Unlock Neverreap and Fractal Continuum
    - Gear up so you can queue for them. You can either buy gear from a vendor or farm Aetherial Research Facility (it has pretty cool music) for laws.
    - Do your hunts. Pretty good gil and you need the seals for gear upgrades.
    - If you want to upgrade law gear fast considering joining a rank A hunting linkshell.
    - Do your daily Expert Roulette for the bonus Laws and Esoterics.
    - Queue for Alexander as soon as you can. You could be running it quite a few times depending on your luck so it's good to start early in the week.
    - I highly recommend against grinding Neverreap & Fractal for laws, you might grow bored of them but that's up to you.
    - If you want to level your crafting professions it would be wise to level up gathering ones beforehand unless you want/can power level through the market board. I spent about 100k total between porting, random mats I couldn't gather, and shark oil (so damn expensive) to level all 8 professions from 15 to 51. I farmed most of my mats along with my retainers.
    - Speaking of retainers, don't be shy on greeding on gear from Neverreap / Fractal to gear up your combat retainer (asuming you have one).
    - Also, it is good to have 1 gatherer and 1 combat type retainers so you can be fed with a good variety of materials for professions or mere profit.
    - The gear from the two Expert instances give a lot of company seals (950 or so a piece), keep that in mind.

Seems like a lot but you'll get the rhythm soon enough. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    Grats! Welcome to the hamster wheel. XD
    Run faster, maggots! *cracks whip*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NakataVagrant View Post
    - Also, it is good to have 1 gatherer and 1 combat type retainers so you can be fed with a good variety of materials for professions or mere profit.
    I didn't realize these retainers exist. Is that a lvl 60 thing? I feel like there is so much going on in this game that I'm missing things. When I first played through FFVII, I completely missed getting Vincent and the ninja girl (played through a second time and got them). Experiencing deja vu...

Actually, I think you can get them at level 17.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Retainer

Deleted
    Is there actually any point to combat retainers? What do they bring to the table? My retainers are fisher and miner to bring me mats and pets that sell for quite a lot of gil

I don't know if there's any specific rewards they can bring, but they are insanely easy to gear up. The only thing that matters is item level, unlike having to get that specific gathering number for gathering retainers. So (while leveling them anyway) you can have a tank retainer in caster gear and it doesn't matter. All that trash gear from dungeons you would normally not have a real use for, now you do. Of course in HW you don't have the random aetherial gear, but up to 50 at least it's really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Is there actually any point to combat retainers? What do they bring to the table? My retainers are fisher and miner to bring me mats and pets that sell for quite a lot of gil
    They can do 'hunting' ventures to gather crafting materials from various creatures. Some of those items sell for a decent amount, especially if you sell them in sizeable stacks. The market is rather bloated on the larger servers but since the 'quick exploration' often results in a retainer bringing back worthless items then it's a good way to stock up on something that sells consistently.

The only crafting profs I really care about are cooking/alchemy so I can supply my own consumables. Don't care for crafting gear as I figure I'll get equivalent/better from just farming the dungeons/raids that I'll have to farm anyway.

I still need to get flying in Sea of Clouds though. Grrr, that zone is so annoying with all the different elevations.

You can hand in green lvl 60 gear at your city faction quartermaster for 900+ seals.

The only crafting profs I really care about are cooking/alchemy so I can supply my own consumables. Don't care for crafting gear as I figure I'll get equivalent/better from just farming the dungeons/raids that I'll have to farm anyway.
    Luckily for you then, Alchemy and Cooking are probably the less dependent on other crafting professions. Most of their reagents/ingredients come directly from gathering and mob drops (aka not crafted by other professions).

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Combat retainers bring back mats that drop from mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I may have spoken too soon on proclaiming ast my favorite healer. You see...there's this job. They call it scholar.

I'm kind of loving it y'all.