Is old world hunts really the easiest way to finish the relic?

I've gotten 5 to stage 2 but on my main NIN im at the 16 HQ items and 42 of the 80 unidentified maguffins from doing beast tribe dailies and the dungeon eso bonus everyday. Its not that hard but its taken forever and with 38 more to go and an average of 4 to 5 a week thats some long going before i move onto stage 3 for my DRK one -_-

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Say, can SMN summon Carbies yet (there were rumours of a pet glamour system) or are we still stuck with the weird looking Egis?
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I should really get into crafting, especially the furniture market - I dread to think how much gil I've spent in total on my house so far. It's likely well over ten million in total by now. >_>

Plus when the new houses arrive it'll see a huge surge of interest.
    If you are looking to make some gil with professions, then you should prob start by leveling mining, then goldsmith, there are many guides on this subject and the basic gist of it is, in order to do anything with professions you would have to level the majority to level 50 just to have the cross skills needed to even be competent at it. So to recap, level gathering classes to supply your crafting classes or else you will be spending 10s of millions on mats to level your crafting classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
    If you are looking to make some gil with professions, then you should prob start by leveling mining
    And stop there to sell stuff.
    That's if you want to be economically sound.

If you insist on dumping millions to be able to craft poorly selling current endgame stuff, never really making back what you initially invested.. go knock yourselves out.

If you want to make cash with ACTUAL crafting, you have to start that as close to the beginning of the expansion as you can. Jumping in late almost always ends up in lost investments, because it is a harsh market out there.

Oh and you are correct: don't even bother with HW endgame crafting if you don't have all 60s. The intermediary mat costs will kill your profits long before you even attempt to HQ crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
    If you are looking to make some gil with professions, then you should prob start by leveling mining

Kind of depends on server but Botanist might be the better bet now the Vath beast tribe sell things like Mythrite nuggest for gil, but the HW Lumbers and beast drops are still in high demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, currently leveling-up Botanist myself.. level 35, slowly getting there.

Any ideas how hard is it to craft those i170 crafting armors? Seeing how accessories and armor being several million gil each doesn't really increase the motivation to level-up crafting.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Say, can SMN summon Carbies yet (there were rumours of a pet glamour system) or are we still stuck with the weird looking Egis?
    Anyone knows? Or do no people play SMN anymore?
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Anyone knows? Or do no people play SMN anymore?
    Still stuck with Egis, I want my Carby.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Still stuck with Egis, I want my Carby.
    /sigh :/

Thanks for info.

Deleted
    Any way to find out your ID? Im still paying for my mrs account but we cant remember her ID. I did the recovered password bit but its doesn't show the ID, just gives a link to change password :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Mogstation should have the option to recover id or password.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Redownloading XD

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...29fa229c7324dd

Patch 3.2 has ushered in a multitude of new adventures in the realm of Eorzea. In the hope that would-be adventurers can experience all that FINAL FANTASY XIV has to offer, we are pleased to announce the upcoming Free Login Campaign! If you or any of your friends are currently taking a break from your adventures in Eorzea, you won't want to miss out on this limited-time event!
    Free Login Campaign Overview

Users possessing a valid Square Enix account who meet the following conditions will be able to play FINAL FANTASY XIV free of charge during the Campaign:

Eligibility
    Users who have previously purchased and registered FINAL FANTASY XIV.
    All registered services accounts are set as inactive during the campaign period.
    Registered service account must have been inactive for at least thirty days.
    * Details of service accounts can be confirmed via the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station.

Campaign Schedule * Updated 3/14/2016
    From Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. (PDT)

Free Login Period
    Four days including the day on which users first log in. This period ends on the fourth day at 11:59 p.m. (local time)
    * Please note that a subscription to FFXIV is required to continue playing after the event period.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    And stop there to sell stuff.
    That's if you want to be economically sound.

If you insist on dumping millions to be able to craft poorly selling current endgame stuff, never really making back what you initially invested.. go knock yourselves out.

If you want to make cash with ACTUAL crafting, you have to start that as close to the beginning of the expansion as you can. Jumping in late almost always ends up in lost investments, because it is a harsh market out there.

Oh and you are correct: don't even bother with HW endgame crafting if you don't have all 60s. The intermediary mat costs will kill your profits long before you even attempt to HQ crap.
    This is false. Yeag, making money from the latest and greatest most in demand gear takes a ton of investment but that's not the only way to make money.

The idea of slow and steady money making seems to be lost on people who play FF sadly. Stuff like nuggets, lumber and even ore herbs and other plants gets run into the ground. I got to watch the price of the newest in demand ore, smithsonite, go from 30k to 5k in a single day cause people like to undercut in increments of 5k and even 10k, presumably because they believe it will sell faster that way.

Anyway, now that I have a ton of Gil it's easy to buy those idiots out and repost and make money off them, but before I had much money it was annoying to see an entire material market collapse.

Anyway going back to my original point, people see all these 220 accs selling fast and for a lot and believe that's the only way to profit. In reality someone who takes advantage of niche markets like I do profit way more. I see people complaining they can barely make a profit off eikon accessories because of all the competition then I get to watch a piece of expedition gear sell for 4m when it cost next to nothing to make. Never waste your time on the newest money making fad, look for niche markets and the old tried and true: selling HQ mats like HQ leather, cloth, lumber, metal, etc. I make millions a day doing that.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    This is false. Yeag, making money from the latest and greatest most in demand gear takes a ton of investment but that's not the only way to make money.

The idea of slow and steady money making seems to be lost on people who play FF sadly. Stuff like nuggets, lumber and even ore herbs and other plants gets run into the ground. I got to watch the price of the newest in demand ore, smithsonite, go from 30k to 5k in a single day cause people like to undercut in increments of 5k and even 10k, presumably because they believe it will sell faster that way.

Anyway, now that I have a ton of Gil it's easy to buy those idiots out and repost and make money off them, but before I had much money it was annoying to see an entire material market collapse.

Anyway going back to my original point, people see all these 220 accs selling fast and for a lot and believe that's the only way to profit. In reality someone who takes advantage of niche markets like I do profit way more. I see people complaining they can barely make a profit off eikon accessories because of all the competition then I get to watch a piece of expedition gear sell for 4m when it cost next to nothing to make. Never waste your time on the newest money making fad, look for niche markets and the old tried and true: selling HQ mats like HQ leather, cloth, lumber, metal, etc. I make millions a day doing that.
    ^This, i have made more money selling HQ lumber, ore and even just reselling things you can buy from vendors at a profit and its not huge but its consistent. On my server a Cobalt ingot thats HQ goes for 8000 gil each. You make a stack of those which is real easy with a max level miner and blacksmith and it adds up to a constant stream of 'X sold for 120k' 'Y sold for 50k' 'z sold for 200k' so at bare minimum you can log in to 100-500k gil per day if you just sell crafting materials rather than crafted goods.

Everyone dreams they will be the next server don selling crafted gear all day err day but the need the mats to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Feared as much, guess I'll try to stay awake long enough then. Kinda annoying when you can't make alt-characters on the server that's already your home.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh for the..

Logged in, saw that Odin is open for new characters.. got all the way to creating name for her but it closed before I was able to finish the character creation.

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to get my alt done since it opened again, time to have some fun.
    A tip for people doing this
    make a character (tweak it up your liking) and then safe the template! you can also think up a name for your character and note it down somewhere
    When a server opens just load the character template put in a name and bam your done!

I personally make a lot of money selling just the materials themselves. Not sure how it is now but in ARR you could make a nice amount of money selling HQ versions of the daily items you needed for the grand company turn ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I personally make a lot of money selling just the materials themselves. Not sure how it is now but in ARR you could make a nice amount of money selling HQ versions of the daily items you needed for the grand company turn ins.
    HQ versions of GC daily turn ins and levequest items are still profitable.

This^

and:
    The idea of slow and steady money making seems to be lost on people who play FF sadly
    This^

People tend to forget about the materials and things in the middle of the creation process that every craftsman needs. The issue I always had with crafting and trying to make a profit was the filthy undercutters. The amount of time it took for me to find a market (or a few markets) that was profitable, breaking down material costs and margins, etc... was completely useless when idiot undercutters would just come in and destroy the market, usually selling at a loss, because they wanted to sell it fast.

The reason the higher end items tend to be the most profitable (IMO) is because the people that can craft those are the serious craftsmen who don't fuck around with markets and don't undercut by ridiculous amounts just to sell it faster.

I have 0 clue if this is true so feel free to call bullshit. I'm not the OP of this but if it is I would advise caution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme..._dissapearing/

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    HQ versions of GC daily turn ins and levequest items are still profitable.
    That and the ARR beasttribe dailies now give a rank IV materia each that go for up to 80k depending on server, 12 of those a day aint chump change if you are broke.