10+ Year Old Account
    This is just directed at the people that thought an Asian theme somehow might not fit in the game despite it being made by a Japanese team.

Did anyone have concerns about the theme of the expansion but the concerns turned out to be of no consequence ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    This is just directed at the people that thought an Asian theme somehow might not fit in the game despite it being made by a Japanese team.

Did anyone have concerns about the theme of the expansion but the concerns turned out to be of no consequence ?
    Never had any concerns at all. I like Asian/Eastern themes. I liked Mists for WoW as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Never had any concerns at all. I like Asian/Eastern themes. I liked Mists for WoW as well.
    Ditto though still hoping someone will scream "cultural appropriation" or something equally dumb until we reply..it is a Japanese game

10+ Year Old Account
    Question wasn't meant for you then

It's a weird question to ask, especially with the fanbase the game has and who made it. Some people understood my concerns before, I just don't remember who they were.

When I saw the trailer for SB I had thought that Asian architecture and the likelihood of the music being less fantasy themed and more Asian themed would bother me or lessen the appeal of the game. Like I said, it's weird to say this in general especially since I no longer have the concerns. I enjoyed everything about MoP as well, especially the architecture and music. For the record, I have no issues with Asian architecture and music in games, it was just something about it being in FF14 that had me concerned for a few weeks. I thought I'd ask because I won't be trying SB anytime soon despite having thought about actually playing more than 2 months of the expansion (before the PC died) like I did with previous expansions, but a dead gaming PC ended that internal debate.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-06-22 at 04:03 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

It's a weird question to ask, especially with the fanbase the game has and who made it. Some people understood my concerns before, I just don't remember who they were.

When I saw the trailer for SB I had thought that Asian architecture and the likelihood of the music being less fantasy themed and more Asian themed would bother me or lessen the appeal of the game. Like I said, it's weird to say this in general especially since I no longer have the concerns. I enjoyed everything about MoP as well, especially the architecture and music. For the record, I have no issues with Asian architecture and music in games, it was just something about it being in FF14 that had me concerned for a few weeks. I thought I'd ask because I won't be trying SB anytime soon despite having thought about actually playing more than 2 months of this expansion (before the PC died) like I did with previous expansions, but a dead gaming PC ended that internal debate.
    If you have a PS4 you could just buy it for that until you get a new pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeeeee feels gud

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a PS4 you could just buy it for that until you get a new pc.
    I'm an idiot and got an XB1 because I thought Halo 5 was going to be worth it

Then I lost all motivation to care about consoles when I saw how awful current-gen stuff is, although the PS4 does have a bunch of exclusives now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ditto though still hoping someone will scream "cultural appropriation" or something equally dumb until we reply..it is a Japanese game
    That won't be me, I just had a weird few weeks of thinking it wouldn't fit in 14 despite enjoying it in many other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder there's this thread.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ILERS-IN-HERE)

10+ Year Old Account

When I saw the trailer for SB I had thought that Asian architecture and the likelihood of the music being less fantasy themed and more Asian themed would bother me or lessen the appeal of the game. Like I said, it's weird to say this in general especially since I no longer have the concerns. I enjoyed everything about MoP as well, especially the architecture and music. For the record, I have no issues with Asian architecture and music in games, it was just something about it being in FF14 that had me concerned for a few weeks. I thought I'd ask because I won't be trying SB anytime soon despite having thought about actually playing more than 2 months of the expansion (before the PC died) like I did with previous expansions, but a dead gaming PC ended that internal debate.
    First of all, I just want to say I understand that you thought it would bother and that in the end it has not.

I actually don't understand the disconnect. Fantasy things are Fantasy, no matter the culture said Fantasy stems from. In the case of FF14, there were tons of Japaness cultural influences in the game Looooong before Stormblood. Obviously not as blunt mind you.

To me Fantasy is not only Tolkienism, Warhammer, Warcraft, and stereotypical DnD. To me Fantasy is any story/game that pulls from a cultures myths, obviously mostly set in a medieval/classical age theme mind you. The culture of origin has very little to do with tag.

So my question to you is why was there an initial disconnect? I can actually understand the concern when it comes down to some fantasy universe feeling that other cultures fantasy would not fit. I mean if instead of Gandalf the White coming to Helms Deep it was Sun Wukong I think we can all agree it would not fit the universe. That aside, what was it about FF14 that had you concerned that the Asian Fantasy would not work with the existing Fantasy?

I ask this because I personally don't know anyone who has the issue, that and when I asked the question during MoP the conversation boiled down to "lawl Pandas"

So as someone who had concerns but no longer has them, could you shed some light on the subject?

As I said not trying to argue this is a genuine question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but EXDR is THREE dungeons.

Kugane Castle
    Temple of the Fist
    And the final MSQ dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current chocobo (level 20) at 69 with my current gear does as much damage as me... pretty much. Also has 10k more HP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Has anyone figured out where Odder Otter is from anyway?
    I believe its from fishing, don't quote me on that tho. :P

Testing RDM at lvl 50 on dummy...from what I saw the biggest problem won't change with higher lvl, the RNG is insane to be honest, you can have a huge margin between someone who gets Ver*** ready a lot and someone who doesn't since you go into melee more frequently.

At least MCH has ammo to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Testing RDM at lvl 50 on dummy...from what I saw the biggest problem won't change with higher lvl, the RNG is insane to be honest, you can have a huge margin between someone who gets Ver*** ready a lot and someone who doesn't since you go into melee more frequently.

At least MCH has ammo to make up for it.
    I mean to be fair there is a 50% proc rate on getting stone and fire procs and there is a 35 second cooldown you can use to make one a 100% chance. Yes it is very RNG but perhaps some of those people are't using their cooldowns or are casting the wrong spell and overwriting a proc they already have. The job can be quite punishing if you cast something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Hah, try AST. Killing anything takes years - just spamming Malefic III and refreshing Combust II.

On other hand, they struggle to kill me as well.
    I still loathe those mobs where Malefic III hits for 1-2% of a mobs health. It takes ages to kill.

To the contrary, atleast we dont die, between Eartly Star, Essential Dignity and that random Lady that pops up now and then.
    However, I do not like how we cant cancel Royal Road anymore. For the Minor Arcana it wont matter on a 5sec cd. Still cant get used to the card Gauge. Guess Im too used to keep track of my buffs/animations
    Last edited by Alextros; 2017-06-22 at 07:57 AM.

I like how they added some Great Clubs to DRK weapons.

Does that means that we won't see a 2 handed hammer job though ?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The fairy heal really depends on how you go about it since we have aether pact does lend us a bit better MP management than most classes. Admittedly we were very very broken on the MP front in HW and ARR, and we still have the advantage compared to the other two unless all the ASTs does is plop the restore buff on themselves but that's a bit of a bad idea.
    You do have better MP management with Aetherflow, but on the other hand you've also got the worst MP efficiency of all the healers now. Just to really rub it in, Largesse doesn't affect SCH instant heals, so you can't double down on those MP free heals. I don't really rate Aetherflow simply because it does, essentially, what our faries did already only with a very strict 10y requirement. It feels more like using it well is a small bonus, rather than a reward for skillful play.

If the SCH is underperforming though, adding more potency on it's spells and pets is an easy enough fix to make. If their MP isn't where Squenix want it, that's also very easy to adjust.

What's probably not going to be fixed is how the job plays now, it really does feel like a huge step backwards for us. The DPS has been stripped back to the point where the WHM has more offensive options than the SCH now and the SCH plays in a very similar way to SMN - You DoT things and spam Ruin/Broil for 30 seconds. That's what bothers me most, we went all the way back to level 10 with our playstyle for both of the Arcanists Jobs.

I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I do like the theme Ala Mhigo has, where it gives off a very French Resistance kind of vibe. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Othard at all. Visually it's absolutely stunning, but most of the proper nouns just turn into a mushy sea of "BLAH" sounds whenever I try read them. Going to BLAH BLAH to rescue BLAH from the BLAH because of BLAH get's filtered out as white noise for me.

Never had nor understood this problem. Either now or back in mists of pandaria with the 'im not racist, but-' crowd saying how 'asian shit has no place in fantasy rpgs which are western only'.

Because you dont get knights and samurai existing on the same planet. Thats just unrealistic.

I half kid, i dont think its outright racist, maybe a little xenophobic on some secondary level but the 'im not racist but-' crowd that goes full pepe tier "FUKKEN WEEB SHIT IN MUH SKYRIM CLONES RRREEEEEEEEEE" are like videogames versions of flat earthers. They have this very specific complex that without a hint of irony are unaware it makes them look lowbrow as all get out.

Still not quite as bad as the "anything that doesnt look like bethesda potato people= "anime" grandad logic" but still strange.

It always reminds me of the post wrath stuff where the wow devs said they briefly considered an arabian nights WoW expansion that was "aladdin meets jason and the argonauts" but they relented because "western gamers are not receptive to cultures in games not based on medieval europe". We still got some leftovers like the djinn in Uldum but man what could have been if the 'im not racist, but-' crowd weren't so vocal about their complex.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I do like the theme Ala Mhigo has, where it gives off a very French Resistance kind of vibe. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Othard at all. Visually it's absolutely stunning, but most of the proper nouns just turn into a mushy sea of "BLAH" sounds whenever I try read them. Going to BLAH BLAH to rescue BLAH from the BLAH because of BLAH get's filtered out as white noise for me.
    I fail to see how Mol Iloh, Tamamizu, Doma or Namai are harder to pronounce or understand compare to fucking : Castrum Oriens, Vira Nilya, Specula Imperatoris or Porta Praetoria.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    I fail to see how Mol Iloh, Tamamizu, Doma or Namai are harder to pronounce or understand compare to fucking : Castrum Oriens, Vira Nilya, Specula Imperatoris or Porta Praetoria.
    Because despite being a "dead" language, English speakers do still get exposed to a lot of Latin in our day to day lives. We do not get a lot of exposure to Orental languages, and when the Voice Actor is pronouncing it almost completely different to how you would pronounce, (D-umb-ah, anyone) it in English... Yeah, it get's chalked up as white noise. It sounds nothing like it is spelt! :P