Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My computer just got hit by botnet

So my comp is now a part of botnet it's a zombie computer now!! Idk how this happened, all of a sudden my email started sending out THOUSANDS of emails that were returned by the system. It's at 10332 sent and returned, the number is going up by the second. I've run scans by norton and NOTHING is coming up. What is going on?! Help?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    are the emails going out through your email program or the email provider? example, outlook(program) or gmail(provider)

If it's just mail, you could try changing passwords. perhaps it's just your email that's been hacked

Start computer in safe mode, and run some rootkit scanner.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It surprises me that you know what a botnet is but not how to fix it.

<Mod Warning. Haxartus you know better than to post an unhelpful troll. Heed my warning forum goers do not troll one another or I shall get my big ol' infract stick and start smacking people with it.>

Culadin
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2011-10-29 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the safe-mode option and see if emails are still being sent out. Good chance it could be going directly from your email. Just change your password in this case. I would scan in safemode for keyloggers anyways. Norton should be fine to find anything but you can try MalwareBytes as well.

Once again, Norton fails to protect people.

<Mod Warning. Brand bashing is not tolerated, consider this your warning before an infraction is given.>

Culadin
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2011-10-29 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It surprises me that you know what a botnet is but not how to fix it.
    Keep trolling bro.

I'll try safemode and changing my password..it is being sent through my school email which they provide (@xxxxxx.edu)

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you currently running your school email through a mailing client like Outlook or do you log into their website for it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Once again, Norton fails to protect people.

haha, so true

And try changing your email password if you've done a scan and theres no keyloggers on your system

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more likely that your email account is compromised and you need to change the password for it from a secured computer after making sure that no forwarding options are set up that you didn't set up yourself.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Keep trolling bro.

I'll try safemode and changing my password..it is being sent through my school email which they provide (@xxxxxx.edu)
    Visit the virus removal thread here. It should cover your bases, but if for whatever reason it is unsuccessful reply again and we can look to other steps.

Keep trolling bro.

It's true though.. most people who know what a "botnet" is are technically savvy enough to get rid of it xD

Your school email is probably compromised.. it happens all the time. You didn't by any chance respond to an email requesting you to "verify" your account/email? Those are all scams trying to get your password.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Are you currently running your school email through a mailing client like Outlook or do you log into their website for it?
    website, never use outlook

website, never use outlook
    Then somebody has either your password, or has hacked your school's email server. There's no botnet running on your computer, but there might be keylogger that stole your email password.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    It's true though.. most people who know what a "botnet" is are technically savvy enough to get rid of it xD

Your school email is probably compromised.. it happens all the time. You didn't by any chance respond to an email requesting you to "verify" your account/email? Those are all scams trying to get your password.
    I'm ridiculously secure with my computer, passwords etc, My passwords are all random numbers and letters with no significance to me personally. Ugh this sucks.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm ridiculously secure with my computer, passwords etc, My passwords are all random numbers and letters with no significance to me personally. Ugh this sucks.
    You could still be the victim of a keylogger or your schools email server has been hacked. Read what I said before, visit the thread, and run through the steps. Anything else we say at this point is pointless.

Deleted
    Bring up your task manager and have a look at your network traffic log, if you've turned into a bot net, you'd notice

Btw, thanks all for the help, reading through the link now and making sure everything is covered. Really appreciate the help guys! <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    You could still be the victim of a keylogger or your schools email server has been hacked. Read what I said before, visit the thread, and run through the steps. Anything else we say at this point is pointless.
    It could also be a spoofing attack. It's not too difficult to send out emails as if it's another address, so all the failed sends go back to them instead of you.

Google chrome doesnt seem like a good idea now, does it?

Worst case scenario is you need to reinstall.
    After that, you should get MSE, it's free and better then norton.