New troll shadowpriest engineer (race changed - question about berserking!)

So I've been contemplating it for a while, going troll or goblin. I eventually choose for troll even though I really dislike on use spells. I've been looking when the best time would be to pop it. Though I've been thinking how I'm going to do this.

Someone said this in a previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Voldimore
    to me troll seems to be the best choice
    20% with trinketproccs + archangel seem to be quite efficient.
    i also think that berserking used at cd is about 1.33% haste overall.
    Myself I'm an engineer so I got synapse springs, as well as Volcanic Destruction, Power Torrent and the Baleroc trinket that gives mastery but that one is pretty "static" in that regards.

The best way to cast Berserk would be with Volcanic Destruction up (at least), with hopefully Power Torrent and Synapse springs (and volcanic potion for prepotting) to push out the highest DPS on dots. After that it's Archangel being used nuking with mindflay and mindblast I guess? Though the 10 seconds are already done by then.

Still have to figure out how to do this best in my opening rotation and nearing the end including BL I suppose.

So how do you cope with all these internal cooldowns, buffs and stuff. Especially when PT + VD don't proc at the same time, do you just go with the syanspe springs and VD since that about 2100 intellect extra?

I should've gone goblin! Hehe .
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

I'm not an engineer, so I looked up the info on Synapse Springs. It's 480 Intellect for 10 seconds, every minute, averaging out to 80 Intellect. In comparison to Power Torrent (500 Intellect for 12 seconds every 45 seconds) comes out to about 133.3 Intellect. Power Torrent is also so weak that it usually doesn't justify refreshing DoTs early, so you can semi-ignore it if it procs alone.

However, both PT and VD have the same ICD, 45 seconds. They should proc around the same time, so I don't know why that isn't happening for you.

Berserking only comes out above the goblins' 1% haste if you cast it within 20 seconds of its CD (which makes the average bonus come out to 1% haste). However, it has a 3 minute CD; that means that every 4th PT and VD proc, you can trigger it as well for the boost. If you want those to line up, you'd have to use Berserking right when you see PT and VD proc when you do your opening.

The difficulty with making Berserking line up with any of your procs is that it only lasts 10 seconds. If you fall behind on triggering it, you'll never have the time to line it up again unless you don't proc it once in the middle of a fight, which is DPS loss. If you're too fast, you lose that single instance of stacking buffs, but it's not really going to drop your DPS much over the course of the fight.

However, if you look at all the ICD's and CD's you have available, every 3 minutes you should have a very narrow window for all of them to proc at the same time. That's 480+500+1600 (2580) Intellect and 20% haste if those 10-12 second buffs overlap just right. You only need about 3-4 seconds to refresh all your DoTs, so if you get that to line up, refresh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Thanks for the fast answer. As regards to the procs, I guess I'm just unlucky. For example sometimes I don't get a single orb proc for a good minute. Sometimes when VD procs, but then PT procs once VD ends, small stuff like that. Bad luck .

Kinda wish I gone goblin now for a flat 1%, then again they remind me too much of gnomes and I race changed back last time within a month :/.

On use abilities are a lot more preferable to random proc. I know you are comparing a static buff with an on use ability but your dislike for on use abilities is a bit silly.

You can control on use abilities and therefore trigger them to maximise their benefits. Imagine if all your trinkets, weapon proc, etc. were all on use. Then you could guarantee they are all up together at the time you want them to be up. There are also encounters were dps only matters for a specific phase. You can save your on use abilities to enhance your dps for when it actually means something.

While on use abilities require you to think a bit more and have more keybindings, you really should prefer on use over random proc. Whether 20% on use haste is better than 1% static haste is debatable. I personally prefer another cooldown because the effect of cooldowns increase when used on top of other cooldowns. A berserking, bloodlusted, volcanic pot, trinket proc phase is pretty amazing dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka View Post
    On use abilities are a lot more preferable to random proc. I know you are comparing a static buff with an on use ability but your dislike for on use abilities is a bit silly.

You can control on use abilities and therefore trigger them to maximise their benefits. Imagine if all your trinkets, weapon proc, etc. were all on use. Then you could guarantee they are all up together at the time you want them to be up. There are also encounters were dps only matters for a specific phase. You can save your on use abilities to enhance your dps for when it actually means something.

While on use abilities require you to think a bit more and have more keybindings, you really should prefer on use over random proc. Whether 20% on use haste is better than 1% static haste is debatable. I personally prefer another cooldown because the effect of cooldowns increase when used on top of other cooldowns. A berserking, bloodlusted, volcanic pot, trinket proc phase is pretty amazing dps.
    Problem is that having to many on-use items will give you to many "Cooldown", aka that you can't activate everything at the same time.

Just see to it to use Berserking with AA and try to use gloves in there to, but don't delay your synaps to much as that's just a waste of a good use (waiting 30secs to use it with AA is just derp).

I use NeedToKnow to track my internal CDs on Volcano and PT, if I see that there is a 5 seccond cooldown left on them I prefer to wait with my Cooldowns to said moment. By tracking these I know when to save my CDs and when to just blast them off CD. I strongly reccomend this!

Yea popping berserker and the synapse springs might give me a loss of dps due to missing time on it because of the cooldown. What I think would be best is to use berserk when VD and PT proc, but not use my gloves for it. I still need to test things and all obviously as I'm not used to having an extra on use item in that regards!

I have needtoknow as well as forteXorsist. So I track my shizzle with that as well!

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 10:33 AM ----------

Felt it by quiete alot in my DPS. Using it when VD and PT popped, if I had enough time to pop synapse springs I popped Berserker (again PT popped later then VD so it was very tight). Got the Ragnaros trinket now instead of the DMC:V, which simmer 300DPS higher and testing on dummies did more DPS as well. Just 1 more random proc to look out for then .