Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Camzillian View Post
    by any chance, is the OP American? :P
    Doubt it, all his measurements are in metric.

Eat meat, work out and after 6 months or so you'll overcome your problem with playing female characters in RPGs when you're actually a male.
    XBL: VORZAP

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    What types of food can I eat that wont make me gain weight?

I am not overweight, but in the past few years I've become really hungry. Maybe I've got more free time so maybe my bordem = hunger. But yeah I can literally eat like 4-5 large cupcakes in 1 sitting or eat slice after slice of bread with jam AND sugar ontop.

But I am afraid I might start getting fat if I keep doing this. So I am wondering. What types of food can I eat massive amounts that are still low calories? I looked up and noticed 1 cup of carrot = 27 calories, that's amazingly low. I want to go eat a few cups of carrots now.

What other types of food do you know that I could eat massive amounts of in a single sitting? My eating habits are really weird atm. I only consume a specific type of food for the day and thats it. So I need to look at the most healthy options so I don't get fat . I DON'T have a super-awesome-metabolism so I need to eat healthy. I noticed I gained like 5lbs in 2 weeks because my mum decided to bake sweats 3-4 times in the past fortnight which I ended up mostly consuming because I am eating like dog at the moment.

ps. I speedbike for 30klm to 100klm per day. And having a "stable" eating plan is out of the question for me. I can't organise food that well enough for myself.
    you speedbike 30-100kms a day... and you are worried about getting fat? either you're lying or you really do have terrible eating habits.

My first suggestion would be to grow up and organize your food. saying it is out of the question shows a great deal of immaturity and proves you probably aren't willing to change your lifestyle. Attitude is always the first change that must be made whether you're 400 lbs and wanting to lose fat or 130 lbs and wanting to gain muscle.

For myself I eat 5-6 small meals a day. this will cut down on snacking since it will help maintain a more constant blood sugar concentration in your blood. You eat way to many refined sugars and thats why you can eat so much because your body just burns them up quickly and you gain next to no nutritional value from them other than "empty" calories. Also, asking what food you can eat A LOT of that wont make you gain weight is a silly question because I dont think you actually understand how food works. If you eat anything with a caloric value if you eat enough of it you will gain weight. The concept is simple:

Weight gain/loss = Calories consumed - Calories Burned

MY first meal is a protein shake when i first get up in the morning. Low in calories but high in nutrition and easy to take before my morning workout. After my workout I come home and have breakfast. For breakfast everyday I have three slices of turkey bacon, two eggs and a coffee. For lunch I'll have a chicken breast, a cup of brown rice and a cup of steamed vegetables. For the next meal at mid afternoon I usually have a can of tuna, a cup of fresh vegetables and some almonds OR a protein shake and almonds. Then dinner is either fish/chicken with half a cup of brown rice. I might feel the need for one more meal but since I go to sleep fairly consistently between 10 and 11 I dont eat after 8PM. If i do need something it will be a toasted slice of whole grain bread with real peanut butter (not the processed crap like Kraft or Mr.Skippy, but rather the kind you actually have to mix the oil into) or a protein shake.

This is easy to plan and organize since all I do is cook my lunches for the week on sunday. breakfast and dinner is just take out of the fridge and cook and the smaller meals are in cans or fresh vegetables which i just put in my bag.

grow up and plan or dont even bother.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this was mentioned, but Celery!
    It takes more calories to chew then what it contains. :]

Also, drink water. Our brains can mix up the signal for water and food. So next time you're hungry drink WATER. Not soda, not milk, not an energy drink - water! Because you're eating, your brain might be telling you that you're thirsty. I always drink water when I think I'm hungry just in case. Sometimes its thirt, sometimes its hunger.

Also, if you're eating all this, why not exercise? Then you can eat a little more liberally. You'll sleep better, have less stress, and burn extra calories!

Don't eat a lot of starch, while you may not gain pounds, you can throw your digestion off in your intestines. So rice, white bread, etc.

I go through binges myself, as I only eat when I'm hungry. So I'll cook dinner when I'm hungry, its worked well for maintaining my weight. I will barely eat for 3-4 weeks then then next 2 weeks I'll be eating everything. lol So when I feel like this, I watch what I eat more carefully and eat more fruits, veggies, and nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiga View Post
    Certain foods don't make you gain weight, calories do.
    Nope, as much as calorie counting is accepted as conventional wisdom, it is dead wrong.

Chronically-elevated levels of the hormone Insulin is what makes you gain weight, end of story.

Insulin is the hormone that actually puts fat in a fat cell.

Elevating insulin to abnormal levels is caused by too much dietary carbohydrate. Caloric restriction typically works as a coincidence, because inadvertently it would involve restricting carbohydrates too.

That's the entire story.

Olives are great. I eat about a can a day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    Nope, as much as calorie counting is accepted as conventional wisdom, it is dead wrong.

Chronically-elevated levels of the hormone Insulin is what makes you gain weight, end of story.

Insulin is the hormone that actually puts fat in a fat cell.

Elevating insulin to abnormal levels is caused by too much dietary carbohydrate. Caloric restriction typically works as a coincidence, because inadvertently it would involve restricting carbohydrates too.

That's the entire story.
    Can I go on a zero carbohydrate diet and eat infinite fat and protein?

If you don't eat processed grains, you can eat ripe (or dried w/o sugar) fruit and hand-shelled nuts all day long (like 10 meals or something) and you'll be healthier than before. Also try avocado and tomato salads with lots of olive oil. If you're underweight and you've been exercising it's normal to eat more than usual, just don't make it cupcakes or you'll get sick.

I find a good snack food is celery. You actually burn calories when you eat it. Here is a list of negative calorie foods: http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Negative...-List&id=71441

Also, just have meals with salads and whatnot. If you really have to eat a lot of food, stuff yourself with salad (but watch what you put on it.) You will stay full, and it is very healthy for you.

Edit: I missed a crucial part of OP's post, I just maintain that switching to foods with low nutritional value won't solve your problem.

HOWEVER, all those people saying counting calories does nothing, u srs? Your body is a mechanism and it needs fuel, when you put in more fuel (calories) in it, it stores them for later (fat). How does counting calories not do anything? Ever thought about that?
    Last edited by Untoldblasphemy; 2011-11-15 at 06:05 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do hope you're switching what food you eat daily though. Variation is key, but okay you covered that. Perhaps atleast try to start the day off with high fiber content cereals? Fibers are good for digestion, so important to eat them daily if you're going to soak up lots of food during the day. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary...f_fiber_intake)

Apart from that I would like to chime with the choir of people pointing to veggies and fruit. There's differences between them ofcourse, banana's are alot worse than apples! Celery (14 kcal per 100g according to wiki) is low on calories - though not as low as some people think. If you don't like em try eating with a yoghurt dressing. Rhubarb is high on fibre and low on energy 2 - but perhaps not a good idea for you if you believe the people stating it's mildly toxic. Eating lots of them may be risky.

Again because of fiber content: make sure your loaf of bread is wholemeal - tastes better 2 if you ask me!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Capers View Post
    I find a good snack food is celery. You actually burn calories when you eat it. Here is a list of negative calorie foods: http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Negative...-List&id=71441

Also, just have meals with salads and whatnot. If you really have to eat a lot of food, stuff yourself with salad (but watch what you put on it.) You will stay full, and it is very healthy for you.
    I highly doubt that article - strawberries are too sweat imo to be negative calorie, and celery I heard and checked against wiki (could check again but meh) is a myth.
    Last edited by lvlark; 2011-11-15 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can eat tons of pasta and not gain any wait

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Untoldblasphemy View Post
    And try to drink only water, nothing else as other drinks contain carbs for the most part.
    I agree that water is the best possible drink out there, but still have to mention here that plain Chinese Jasmin tea is absolutely delicious and doesn't contain any calories.

Nice post Untoldblasphemy

Celery. This may be one of those myths that get spread around, but I've heard that celery has a negative calorie value, since your body has to spend so much energy to digest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Calories are not everything when it comes to weight gain.
    Besides, according to your post you have a bigger problem with cravings. Not calorie intake.
    Calories ARE everything when it comes to weight gain. :-P Energy burned vs energy consumed, store or burn the delta, no other equation matters. If you don't eat more calories than your body burns, you wont have any excess to store.

Almonds are good and filling, but dont mistake that you can eat a ton of it, they are still fairly in high calories.

Quit thinking about 'foods I can eat a lot of' and think about 'foods that make you and keep you full'. Proteins are the biggest. If you satisfy whatever your body is craving you wont feel the need to 'eat a lot' of anything. And drink more water. Most the time your insatiable hunger is a miscue from your brain when you're actually thirsty. If you speed bike 30km a day, then you may not be taking in enough water to compensate for what you need on a daily basis + what you lost from the exercise.

I'm not going to go through and list a bunch of low calorie foods for you, google knows more than anyone here, but I do like a lot of cauliflower, it's multipurpose, I rice it and use it in cooking, to thicken chili, etc. and it's filling as well. When I make 'chicken fried rice' i rice a head of cauliflower and use it as the rice. (protip if you cook cauliflower, put vinegar in it first, you'll be thankful when your whole house doesn't smell nasty) Also high in fiber, which is good in many ways.

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    Celery. This may be one of those myths that get spread around, but I've heard that celery has a negative calorie value, since your body has to spend so much energy to digest it.
    This is true AFAIK. Celery is such a low calorie count and has a decent amount of fiber, the act of consuming and processing it takes more than the energy it gives back. It's also mostly water, so that's good too.

How do you have time for 20-60 mile rides every day, back when I was riding every day in the summer, 20 miles took me 90min-2 hours, and when I went on a 40-50 mile rides, usually 4 hours, of my day gone. Now that school is going, I'm lucky to get any riding in, that's not to or from school, on the weekends.

And if you are really riding this much of course you are hungry, sometimes I went to McDonalds and just ordered the buns because all I wanted was carbs, but I stopped doing that.

Try to get a balanced diet with lots of proteins and fiber, its gona fill you up with actual nutrients.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

popcorn not the loaded with salt and fake chemical butter but the plain kind. you can keep your mouth and hands bust without bad repercussions. also make sure your getting that protein (if its deli be sure its not overly processed cause its like the sugar thing all fat no nutrient not gonna satisfy you). As to some of the posts in here pay attention to the variety of foods raw nuts fruits and veggies are awesome for you you will also notice an increase in energy as well. Be healthy!

There is no actual food that you can eat a ton of without gaining weight. What you can do is eat small snacks/meals several times a day so that you're never actually hungry, you're keeping your metabolism active, and you're not actually overeating. A little self control can go a long ways too. You say you "can" eat several large cupcakes at a time but I'm sure you're smart enough to know that's not a good thing to do and could easily stop yourself after one.

The idea behind drinking lots of water is that it will make you feel fuller and has zero calories. So if you fill up on water before a meal, you'll have less room for food before you feel full. (btw it takes approx 20 min for your mind to send the message to your stomach that you're full so eat slowly!)

Ignoring the diet debate that has hijacked this thread, this is the part of the OP that concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    I only consume a specific type of food for the day and thats it.
    I'm fat as fuck so I'm not really in any position to give nutrition/diet advice, but is this some sort of OCD you can't get over or just a weird personal choice? Either way it's not normal, go see a shrink. (not trying to be rude/mean, that's just my honest advice)

Celery.......
    The lips of the righteous shall meditate wisdom, and he shall speak justice.