Thread: NCAA football

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Yes he would if he wants to become the only coach in NCAA history to win a national championship at 3 different schools. Saban would become one with the pantheon of college football gods...Rockne, Bryant, Wilkinson.
    So he might actually be chomping at the bit to go there then? Does he have any emotional ties to TX?

Texas is also the wealthiest athletic department in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Sorry boy, LSU didnt lose to Florida.
    Hell man, NOBODY lost to Florida this year....
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So he might actually be chomping at the bit to go there then? Does he have any emotional ties to TX?
    I don't know this answer, but I see no reason why he would be tempted. And I see nothing that suggests he is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Texas is also the wealthiest athletic department in the country.
    Pretty sure Alabama's got it made with what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

I don't know this answer, but I see no reason why he would be tempted. And I see nothing that suggests he is interested.

Being considered as the greatest college football coach of all time not a good enough reason for you? He can get that if he wins another NC at Texas. First time ever a HC wins the NC at 3 different schools. Wanting to be considered the best in your profession, of all time, is a pretty big motivation.

And Texas can outspend Alabama by almost 40 million just with their athletic department revenue. This isn't to mention the money coming from one of the richest donor bases in the country. If it's a matter of money, Alabama doesn't have a chance.

If by saying all of this it sounds like I love Texas or something, truth is I really hate the school with a passion and really hope they don't get Saban. I just respect their ability to generate $$$

Rumor on orangebloods was 10 year 100 mil. Texas has their own damn TV network lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Being considered as the greatest college football coach of all time not a good enough reason for you? He can get that if he wins another NC at Texas. First time ever a HC wins the NC at 3 different schools. Wanting to be considered the best in your profession, of all time, is a pretty big motivation.

And Texas can outspend Alabama by almost 40 million just with their athletic department revenue. This isn't to mention the money coming from one of the richest donor bases in the country. If it's a matter of money, Alabama doesn't have a chance.

If by saying all of this it sounds like I love Texas or something, truth is I really hate the school with a passion and really hope they don't get Saban. I just respect their ability to generate $$$
    I don't see how three titles with three different teams makes you the best ever.

I don't see how three titles with three different teams makes you the best ever.
    Maybe you should take off your blindfold then. It's probably pretty damn hard to win even one title...
    Last edited by muto; 2013-12-11 at 10:40 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you can take three separate teams to a national title win, that would pretty much seal it up in most people's eyes.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-11 at 03:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

pretty sure Michigan would lose to Florida this year.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    But he got his ass kicked, and other QB's have put up better numbers and weren't invited.
    What QBs have put up better numbers? Since I know you're thinking about Mariotta, I'll start there:

Mariotta - 3994 combined passing/rushing yards, 39 combined passing/rushing TDs, 63.1 completion %
    Lynch - 4557 combined passing/rushing yards, 45 combined passing/rushing TDs, 63.1 completion %

Lynch actually threw for about 500 more yards last year and about the same rushing yards and total TDs, but they had more blowout wins this year, so there wasn't as much room to pad his stats.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-12-11 at 08:19 PM.

Because stats are clearly everything. Doesn't matter who you played at all.........

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Because stats are clearly everything. Doesn't matter who you played at all.........
    Do you even read what people say? Or do you just like to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? He said other QBs had better stats; since he's an Oregon fan and Mariotta is the one player everyone seems to think got snubbed, I assumed he meant him. I showed the facts that Mariota in fact did not have better stats than Lynch.

No where did he say anything about the schedule, so I didn't respond to that. If you want to give me some kind of equation that shows the quality of Mariotta's opponents makes his yards/TDs worth x amount more when compared to Lynch, then by all means. Otherwise, stats are the only thing we have to go on.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    What QBs have put up better numbers? Since I know you're thinking about Mariotta, I'll start there:

Mariotta - 3994 combined passing/rushing yards, 39 combined passing/rushing TDs, 63.1 completion %
    Lynch - 4557 combined passing/rushing yards, 45 combined passing/rushing TDs, 63.1 completion %

Lynch actually threw for about 500 more yards last year and about the same rushing yards and total TDs, but they had more blowout wins this year, so there wasn't as much room to pad his stats.
    And Mariotta did all that in the Pac-12 while Lynch did it in what conference again . . . ? I mean, stats aren't everything - you have to look at who they played too.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you even read what people say? Or do you just like to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? He said other QBs had better stats; since he's an Oregon fan and Mariotta is the one player everyone seems to think got snubbed, I assumed he meant him. I showed the facts that Mariota in fact did not have better stats than Lynch.

No where did he say anything about the schedule, so I didn't respond to that. If you want to give me some kind of equation that shows the quality of Mariotta's opponents makes his yards/TDs worth x amount more when compared to Lynch, then by all means. Otherwise, stats are the only thing we have to go on.
    You're saying that knowing there is no credible way to answer the statement. You also know that opponents mean just about as much as the stats themselves. If Oregon had the easy-ass schedule NIU had Mariotta's stats would be just about whatever he wanted them to be.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    And Mariotta did all that in the Pac-12 while Lynch did it in what conference again . . . ? I mean, stats aren't everything - you have to look at who they played too.

- - - Updated - - -

You're saying that knowing there is no credible way to answer the statement. You also know that opponents mean just about as much as the stats themselves. If Oregon had the easy-ass schedule NIU had Mariotta's stats would be just about whatever he wanted them to be.
    That's exactly my point. Obviously Mariotta played tougher defenses than Lynch did, but how can you quantify that? Would you take Mariotta over Lynch even if Lynch had 1000, 2000, 4000 more yards than him? I mean where's the line? When do you say, "ok despite the easier schedule, his season is still more impressive?"

It's impossible to answer, so why even argue about it? Instead we can focus on the fact that Lynch twice this season broke the single game rushing record for QBs, say what you want about his schedule, but it's not like he's the first QB in history to play a schedule like his.

If you continue with that line of thinking then you might as well not have a Heisman from any conference other than the SEC, since they have the best conference. Any QBs stats in the SEC should be considered more impressive than Mariotta's right?
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-12-12 at 03:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stuff about Saban to Texas has been pretty funny. Great job to whoever set up the airport intercom prank.

Alabama would match any offer out there. Simple as that. He is the best investment UA has ever made.

The ONLY reason that Saban would ever leave is if he really wanted to start all over. Something he has said repeatedly that he has no desire of doing.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Sorry bro, I can't hear you over the sound of your conference not playing in the big game this year. Enjoy the GMAC bowl though, I hear the weather in Detroit is wonderful this time of year.
    Why did this guy disappear after OSU lost? whats going on bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The stuff about Saban to Texas has been pretty funny. Great job to whoever set up the airport intercom prank.

Alabama would match any offer out there. Simple as that. He is the best investment UA has ever made.

The ONLY reason that Saban would ever leave is if he really wanted to start all over. Something he has said repeatedly that he has no desire of doing.
    Money talks and Texas has more of it than Bama, or any other program for that matter. Saban is competing with Bear Bryant for greatest coach ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, money is irrelevant. I have no idea which school has more money to spend, but regardless of that, UA will match anything. Simple as that. No school is going to pay more because no school has that much more cash than Alabama. Nobody is going to pay him past a certain threshold. Dude is not getting any billion dollar offer or anything like that.
    I like sandwiches

Texas makes around $30,000,000 more than Bama a year in profits.

Mariota also didn't play most of the 3rd and 4th quarters the first 6 or so games of the season. So when you factor in the quality of competition and the fact that Lynch ran 200 more plays than Mariota over the course of the year you see on a per play account Mariota produced much more than Lynch. Besides the real joke was Manziel's invitation.