Thread: NCAA football

Page 43 of 141 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kstate played a ranked team with the top Heisman candidate and no.6 Oklahoma,Oregon hasn't played anybody... man guys when yall play USC and Oregon state then you can make a debate about it atm Pac 12 is mostly crap.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 10:04 PM ----------

Don't blame the computers blame your conference for being terrible and blame your AD for playing crappy teams out of conference knowing that the conference sucks. Well the conference doesn't suck but after the top 4 its pretty bad.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-10-22 at 03:06 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    West Virginia is a tougher opponent than Arizona State.
    I respect your opinion, so know this isn't meant flippantly, but according to whom? I mean, there is no way to tell and Oregon is crushing ranked opponents each week, just like KS.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Kstate played a ranked team with the top Heisman candidate and no.6 Oklahoma,Oregon hasn't played anybody... man guys when yall play USC and Oregon state then you can make a debate about it atm Pac 12 is mostly crap.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 10:04 PM ----------

Don't blame the computers blame your conference for being terrible and blame your AD for playing crappy teams out of conference knowing that the conference sucks. Well the conference doesn't suck but after the top 4 its pretty bad.
    The SEC is the same way. They play and beat themselves, and the reason their wins are "better" than the Pac-12's is because the SEC is seen as being a better conference historically, which may be true. But this year the SEC isn't nearly as good (aside from 'Bama, of course). They are beating each other up just like the Pac-12 is doing.

I'll grant you that last one a bit, F-St wasn't the best choice for out of conference games. I can't figure out whey we aren't trying to get more SEC teams on our schedule. I'm sure there is a huge politics to it (forgive the grammar) but I'm clueless to it - anyone have some insight? Because Skarsguard is right, Oregon needs better out-of-conference games.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-10-22 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I respect your opinion, so know this isn't meant flippantly, but according to whom?
    The rankings. I know, it's a weird, infinite loop circle life thingy, but that's kind of what you have to deal with in college football.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The rankings. I know, it's a weird, infinite loop circle life thingy, but that's kind of what you have to deal with in college football.
    Shit, you're right. I love 'em and hate 'em.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well IDK lets not put any names of teams and just look at it this way. Team A is undefeated and beat a team that was ranked 6th and a team that was ranked 3rd and one of those teams had a top Heisman candidate. Team B is undefeated and beat a team that was ranked 23rd and a team that was ranked 24th who would you have ahead of the other that's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 10:30 PM ----------

I'm not saying Kstate is better then Oregon what I'm saying is Kstate so far has beaten better teams then Oregon and Oregon hasn't had a real test yet.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well IDK lets not put any names of teams and just look at it this way. Team A is undefeated and beat a team that was ranked 6th and a team that was ranked 3rd and one of those teams had a top Heisman candidate. Team B is undefeated and beat a team that was ranked 23rd and a team that was ranked 24th who would you have ahead of the other that's all I'm saying.

---------- Post added 2012-10-21 at 10:30 PM ----------

I'm not saying Kstate is better then Oregon what I'm saying is Kstate so far has beaten better teams then Oregon and Oregon hasn't had a real test yet.
    The truth . . . it BUUUUURRRRRRRNNNNNNSSSSSSSS us. You're right of course, I just don't want it to be true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, you dumb kids.

Tyrann Mathieu and three other former LSU football players were arrested Thursday on drug-related charges.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Mathieu and former LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson were charged with simple possession of marijuana, the Baton Rouge police department said in a release.

Former Tigers safety Karnell Hatcher also was charged with simple possession while former defensive back Derrick Bryant was arrested for possession with intent to distribute.

According to the police report, officers found the marijuana in Mathieu's apartment Thursday afternoon. Mathieu answered the door, and officers "immediately smelled a strong odor of marijuana," the police report stated.

After Mathieu, 20, gave the police his consent to search the apartment, officers discovered a marijuana grinder, a digital scale and 10 bags of high-grade marijuana, including seven in Bryant's backpack, according to the report.

Police say they were called to the apartment complex after receiving a complaint about a man, who later was identified as the 22-year-old Jefferson, forcing his way through the security gate before going to Mathieu's apartment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't he just get out of freaking rehab? At least I thought I heard his dad told the media he was going to go into rehab. Man what an idiot. He is lighting the millions he would have made in the NFL on fire. Also, who the hell gives the police permission to search their apartment when they know there is a ton of weed in there rather than telling them to get a warrant?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Didn't he just get out of freaking rehab? At least I thought I heard his dad told the media he was going to go into rehab. Man what an idiot. He is lighting the millions he would have made in the NFL on fire. Also, who the hell gives the police permission to search their apartment when they know there is a ton of weed in there rather than telling them to get a warrant?
    He was supposedly at a rehab facility in Houston, but that obviously couldn't have been for very long since he went right back to campus a week or two after those initial reports. Even if he never would have amounted to anything beyond college football, it's just inexplicably maddening to me that someone with that kind of athletic ability would so decisively piss away a scholarship and all the opportunities that went along with it. It'd also be a shame if anyone in the athletic department was aware of the shit these guys were up to and did nothing beyond the bare minimum. I can't help but wonder how familiar they were with the situation.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-10-26 at 01:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some more big games this week:

No. 2 Florida vs. No. 10 Georgia

It's the world's biggest outdoor cocktail party...or something. Georgia has been going downhill, while Florida seems to get better every week. Can't really pick against Florida here, biased or not.

No. 14 Texas Tech at No. 3 Kansas State

Meh. K State wins easily, calling it now.

No. 5 Notre Dame at No. 8 Oklahoma

You know, I'm so sick of Lou Holtz and Mark May. What did they do this time? Bringing up Notre Dame when they're not even talking about them. You can't really fault Holtz for picking them each week, they've definitely proven themselves. But you CAN fault him for NOT SHUTTING THE HELL UP ABOUT THEM. Um...anyway, Notre Dame wins. Might as well pick em til they lose.

No. 11 Mississippi State at No. 1 Alabama

I love the fact Mississippi State is winning their way through their season for once. But, you know, when the best opponent you've faced is Auburn, you've got nothing to show your work. That said, I don't Alabama is the unstoppable force everyone makes them out to be. Still though, Bama wins easily.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 04:40 PM ----------

Why is Florida playing so terribly and prediactable? Other than handing over the ball, every single series on offense had been run/run/pass. That's it. I know you want to establish the run, but damn, mix it up a little.

Theres something I have always wondered. If a team is placed on probation and is bowl ineligible does that mean they cant win their conference as well? I mean it just doesnt seem fair for an ineligible team to play for a conference title with a guaranteed trip to a BCS bowl when they cant even go if they win. Or do they just send the team with the second best record in their division to the conference championship game. Im just asking this cause I dont think its ever happened but it can this year if UNC wins their division, goes to the ACC championship game and then wins the ACC. I mean if you are on probation you dont deserve to win your conference or even play in the game because you would be robbing another more deserving team, who didnt cheat, the chance to play in a BCS bowl. But sending the loser to the BCS bowl doesnt make sense either. Oh well should make for some interesting drama if it plays out that way.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-10-27 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well USC lost. Florida thinks the football is a bomb. It's gonna be another argument about who deserves number 2, Oregon or Kansas State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Florida playing so terribly and prediactable? Other than handing over the ball, every single series on offense had been run/run/pass. That's it. I know you want to establish the run, but damn, mix it up a little.
    I'm still shocked by the nine turnovers in that game. When Florida was driving with time running down I thought for sure they'd have a good shot of tying it up... but couldn't believe the Jordan Reed fumble. Ouch.

I had hoped Arizona might give USC a tough time but didn't expect them to actually pull off the upset. Hopefully that'll silence the ESPN talking heads for a while. Though I'd hate to be in the position of giving Rich Rodriguez credit for anything, a USC loss always makes me smile.

Meanwhile, that Texas nearly lost to the worst team in the Big 12 probably has people calling for Mack Brown's head.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 06:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Theres something I have always wondered. If a team is placed on probation and is bowl ineligible does that mean they cant win their conference as well?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    do they just send the team with the second best record in their division to the conference championship game.
    Yes, whichever eligible team that meets all the qualifiers replaces any team on probation.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 07:03 PM ----------

It's gonna be another argument about who deserves number 2, Oregon or Kansas State.
    It'll be quite interesting to watch that unfold, too, considering Oregon plays a much tougher schedule than KSU from here on out.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-10-27 at 11:58 PM.

I posted this over in the NFL thread as well because I thought it was relevant. A kid that was a lock to be a top 20 pick has his career in serious doubt. These kinds of things show that this game has an ugly side - and Marcus may have played his last down of football.

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH -- DO NOT VIEW.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...njury/1662359/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
    I posted this over in the NFL thread as well because I thought it was relevant. A kid that was a lock to be a top 20 pick has his career in serious doubt. These kinds of things show that this game has an ugly side - and Marcus may have played his last down of football.

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH -- DO NOT VIEW.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...njury/1662359/
    As I said before, you can't see shit. Not really "not for the weak stomach".

10+ Year Old Account
    K State hasn't play a defense esp a SEC type defense. Did you watch the cotton bowl last year when Arkansas beat them I mean I wouldn't be calling for Alabama or any top 4 SEC team really.
    "SEC defense" is a joke. The problem is there's NO offense in the SEC. It's easy to make the defenses look good when all the offenses suck. Texas proved that against Ole Miss this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    "SEC defense" is a joke. The problem is there's NO offense in the SEC. It's easy to make the defenses look good when all the offenses suck. Texas proved that against Ole Miss this year.
    Tell Alabama that the SEC has no offense.

15+ Year Old Account
    What the hell Michigan or more specifically Russel Bellomy. Denard gets hurt yesterday and somehow our back up actually can't throw the ball better than Denard. I turned the game on for literally three minutes yesterday before the half, saw Bellomy was in for an injured Robinson, and then he immediately grounded a pass to a wide open receiver, threw the ball five yards over the head of an open receiver in the flat, and got sacked. You could tell it was over right there. That guy is awful and should go back to being a red shirt.

Grats Notre Dame, I am officially buying in that you aren't awful. Chokelahoma is Chokelahoma, but Notre Dame looked good.
    USC loses to Arizona. What happened to this team?

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Grats Notre Dame, I am officially buying in that you aren't awful. Chokelahoma is Chokelahoma, but Notre Dame looked good.
    USC loses to Arizona. What happened to this team?
    Stanford barely won.
    USC loses to Arizona, a team who Oregon shut out.
    Oregon State lost to UW.
    Colorado is probably looking for a new coach, even though Embree was handed a pretty poor team to begin with.

It could honestly be an Oregon-UCLA conference championship at this point...

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a theory. Deep within a sub-basement of a laboratory in Tuscaloosa, where nobody has access but one man, sits an innocuous machine. Nobody knows it's there, and even if they did, nobody would know what it's used for. Once a week, people can hear strange noises while in the lab, coming from below, but nothing ever happens. Eventually, they will all learn the truth. Every week, Nick Saban disappears for a couple hours, and no one knows where he goes. And each week, he produces another physical specimen that he uses for yet another running back.