Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    They had 2 options:

1- Exploit the bug and hope not to get punished for it.
    2- Not exploit the bug and hope to see those who did get punished.

Both scenarios had pros and cons and choosing either could have caused loss of world's 1st. They did what needed to be done to stay in competition. I blame Blizzard for letting such an obvious bug to get through. It was so obvious that so many people were exploiting it in the fist 2 days of content release.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Really? http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%AEt/advanced

Oh wait, looks like you're wrong, they did exploit it.
    Method is full of shit anyway. Several months ago some of their members cussed at people like bloody sailors, after those people refused to skip mob packs in Lost City of the Tolvir.
    Most people from Xavius in general have a massive attitude problem though. That realm is a disgrace.

They shouldnt ban the players anyway when you allow such gamebreaking bugs to hit live the fault is on you entirely as a developer.

They ll remove the gear ofc and thats what they should do but fines on players? Fire the people that miss those things from ptr imo. Or even better do proper internal testing etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cleotaurus View Post
    If blizzard did not punish people for exploits and simply removed the advantage people gained, that would mean there is a 100% incentive to look for ways to abuse and exploit with 0% risk from getting caught. If there is no risk of being punished for abuse, then everyone that is looking to compete in raiding will all be looking for ways to exploit, because if they find one, and it gives them an edge, they win, and if they get caught, they are no worse off than if they had never tried in the first place.

A ban is blizzards way of informing the community that this is what you will happen if you try to cheat. If blizzard did not punish, it is essentially telling the community to cheat all they want.
    In situations in which zero advantage is gained before a correction can be made, why screw people over? Banning them is giving a student who brought the wrong calculator (but didn't use it yet) a zero, refusing to let an athlete who took steroids between seasons play (with the drugs entirely out of her bloodstream before competition started), or denying a participation ribbon to the kid in last place who put a toe out of his lane. All are technically wrong--none are actually causing problems.

If they used the gear to down heroic, then just removing the gear no longer addresses the problem. You'd also have to address them possibly not having succeeded at those encounters (or, at least, possibly not as quickly). But we're not talking about noticing 3 weeks later and taking the LFR gear back, while leaving them world firsts and heroic DS loot. At present, they've gotten nothing from it. The existing solution is wholly solved by removing the gear--including applying a reasonable, related penalty (no access to the one run worth of gear each character would normally have had).

Blizzard shouldn't be in the business of punishing people who abuse mechanics. Blizzard should punish unfair advantages...and in all other cases, just roll back so the advantage doesn't get used, and fix their system! Most of the time, the advantage comes immediately--which is why the distinction isn't often made. This is one of the times when it can be.

Some of these people who are getting their gear striped. Wonder if they went trigger happy and disenchanted their old gear as well. That would really suck. I'm sure someone in a high end guild wouldn't, but some average joe who jumped on the bandwagon might of.

I do agree with taking the gear away, a ban though might be a bit much as it was a flaw in Blizzard's system that they should of fixed in testing. This isn't some outside the box use of what's in game to get by a boss mechanic. It wasn't a strategy that was created through a bunch of wipes to cheat.

The loot system being messed up is a totally different area. It effects everyone, it's huge, it's something that is blizzard's job to make sure is working properly. They should be internally stressing the loot system for a new raid system in every possible way so this doesn't happen. If people are getting banned because they wanted to be on even footing with people in what should be a fair race, it's a shame. It's not their fault blizzard allowed for head starts.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Fire the people that miss those things from ptr imo. Or even better do proper internal testing etc etc.
    Ironic how the people that miss those things are the players themselves lol.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Ironic how the people that miss those things are the players themselves lol.
    Well they should be thankfull to the players for testing their content for free to be fair. Most games use internal testing teams which cost extra resources and budget. Top guilds here do their work 100 times better and they usually dont hear a single good word.

And its a chain reaction btw. 1 top guild used the cheat rest did also in order to keep up with the race just in case they would get to keep their gear. Top guilds had no choice. If they wanna crucify someone do the 1st guild that used it. Rest simply played along due to the race.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2011-12-03 at 08:46 AM.

It seems completely wrong that they punish people for their mistakes....especially this one.

How is the regular raider, casual and baddie supposed to know that it is not normal for blizzard to let you receive loot from the same boss twice in one week---WHEN THEY JUST IMPLEMENTED A COMPLETELY NEW MECHANIC TO THE GAME???---A mechanic which allows you to kill the same boss twice in one week???

While I'm not against them punishing people for things that are terrain exploits, gold selling, account hacking, etc., it is really f'ed up that they punish their paying customers for their own mistakes..

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    It seems completely wrong that they punish people for their mistakes....especially this one.

How is the regular raider, casual and baddie supposed to know that it is not normal for blizzard to let you receive loot from the same boss twice in one week---WHEN THEY JUST IMPLEMENTED A COMPLETELY NEW MECHANIC TO THE GAME???---A mechanic which allows you to kill the same boss twice in one week???

While I'm not against them punishing people for things that are terrain exploits, gold selling, account hacking, etc., it is really f'ed up that they punish their paying customers for their own mistakes..
    From what I understand, this was a pretty clear abuse of mechanics. It wasn't that they just happened to go in again and got loot--they had to set up the circumstances beforehand.

The real issue is what Blizzard's role should be. I don't feel they should punish abuse of mechanics for its own sake. Instead, they should be punishing the use of unfair advantages. In most cases, there's no difference. Hacking your way past the BG gate before the game, herbing/mining while invulnerable, exploiting a boss in order to kill it--all abuses of mechanics with immediate advantages. In this case, however, we can distinguish. Furthermore, the punishment should fit the crime.

The only advantage they've already received is not having to rely on luck to get the LFR drops they wanted. So the obvious, reasonable, and related punishment is to not let them have any LFR gear for the reset. Extra LFR loot --> no LFR loot. If they'd also received an advantage on heroic content, then that would have to be addressed as well--except they haven't, so it doesn't. By fixing the existing issue, they won't get an advantage on heroics. So what's the problem, here?

In particular, the crime that bans match is negatively impacting the experience of other players. To my knowledge, that's simply not the case in this situation. No one has been hurt by the extra LFR runs (thanks to the issue being caught before heroics open next week). Accordingly, bans don't fit the "crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    Accordingly, bans don't fit the "crime."
    I don't see why not - exploiting is against the EULA and has always carried the risk of infraction. In the rare cases where there is a first-time permaban it usually involves causing others gameplay to suffer. When you *only* exploit for personal gain, a 72hr ban seems appropriate.

If the only penalty is removed items you gained while exploiting, there is no deterrence to not exploit the next time.

By the same logic (but much more extreme), drivers that are drinking should only be told to sleep outside their car, because - hey, they didn't hit anyone yet, right? No one is hurt...they should just sit down outside and have their beer taken away.
    Last edited by Nikola; 2011-12-03 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post

Do you realise this was not achieved by just simply running the same boss twice? That to get the loot from a second kill certain "HOOPS" had to be jumped through. An ordinary player wouldn't have been able to do this without a planned approach and help from a guild.

And to the guy that incessantly repeats his student analogy, lets not compare the future of a persons life to a video game. A ban is not going to ruin anyones future careers here and is deserved, imo.

They totally knew what they were doing. In such cases Blizzard should make first time caught - 10 days ban, second time - perma ban. For heavy exploiting.

Really? http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%AEt/advanced

Oh wait, looks like you're wrong, they did exploit it.
    x22 kills on the bosses. Wow. And you liberals in here don't think that is ban worthy? Top end guilds continue to exploit whenever possible and get no repercussions. Blizzard is enabling them.

They had 2 options:

1- Exploit the bug and hope not to get punished for it.
    2- Not exploit the bug and hope to see those who did get punished.

Both scenarios had pros and cons and choosing either could have caused loss of world's 1st. They did what needed to be done to stay in competition. I blame Blizzard for letting such an obvious bug to get through. It was so obvious that so many people were exploiting it in the fist 2 days of content release.
    It was totally god's fault for making the forbidden apple tree. How was Eve and Adam supposed to exert self control?
    lets not compare the future of a persons life to a video game
    Amen!
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-12-03 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    Cool, let me tell my three students who kept writing for 30 seconds after I called time that they're receiving zeroes, and therefore likely failing the entire semester. That's cheating, right? So it's completely black and white. Never mind that I could just not give them credit for the two lines they wrote.
    Good. You should. Pencils down means pencils down. Maybe next time they'll follow instructions. People only push the envelope because they know they can get away with it, show them they can't and they'll straighten up and fly right. It's not a hard concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    One thing I'm wondering about... surely these guilds already have full 391 loot from heroic Firelands, so why are they farming the LFR for worse gear?
    Four piece Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by killars View Post
    The only thing worse than the people who actually did exploit LFR are the ignorant children who come to the forums (based entirely on hearsay or poor research) and call out guilds who aren't actually exploiting.

<vodka> found out about the bug. I mentioned it after the raid ended and we reassembled to test the exploit. It did in fact work and we immediately reported the bug to the authorities. Within minutes it was hotfixed and that was the end of it.

What we did with LFR is use only 3 main members (or less) per raid with 22 alts to ensure the best possible chance to get each token to each player. We worked very hard and spent long hours to do this. Respect our intelligence and effort instead of ignorantly talking trash for no reason.

TYVM / GLHF

-Killars
    May I present http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...afarion/simple . x21 Morchok kills!

Someone with an active account should report this guy, ty
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-12-03 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    May I present http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...afarion/simple . x21 Morchok kills!

I should report you for your inability to read, that guy probably tanked the runs with all the alts as they rotated mains in. Amount Boss kills doesn't mean shit when you can run LFR as many times as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Valsh View Post
    I should report you for your inability to read, that guy probably tanked the runs with all the alts as they rotated mains in. Amount Boss kills doesn't mean shit when you can run LFR as many times as you want.
    He still participated. It's very silly to give the 1 week slap to only those who received loot, when all accounts in the runs should have action taken against them. Blizzard was far more harsh with the direbrew exploit in WLK/Zandalari rep exploit in Vanilla.

He still participated. It's very silly to give the 1 week slap to only those who received loot, when all accounts in the runs should have action taken against them.
    Participated in what? It's not an exploit to rotate a few people in and run the same bosses with alts, you can still do that right now. Once again, i ask you to read the post and try to think outside of the "Hurr durr he has many kills, he did the exploitz!"

If it helps you to understand, i could run LFR all week and rack up 200 morchok kills if i wanted to.

Deleted

Then again, it's quite funny when you actually browse his activity list: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Grafarion/feed - only a single ilvl 384 item gained since patch release... Oh god, you must feel stupid now.