Poll: How do you feel about P.C.?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I No I FeaR I View Post
    To the Americans who were spoon fed Christian morals and taught that being Christian is the only right way, saying Merry Christmas isn't a big deal to them, because they don't realize that everyone ISN'T Christian and that they actually ARE pushing their religion on someone else...because incase you didn't realize, the word Christmas has the word "Christ" in it, which some people do not believe in/follow. "Happy Holidays" is a better general statement to say to people, no matter what their religion is.
    call it Merry Yule which is where it stems from... Do you also think that people are forcing their religion on you when you have to use the word Thursday? (Thor) or Friday (Frejas day) or Saturday (Saturns day) - thats the norse and greek religion right there

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I'm not even registered as independent, so I am more independent than you are.

Uhm... What?
    appearently its not religious discrimination but political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    I agree there needs to be boundaries, but I think its too extreme in today's society. People need to understand they are in control of their own thoughts and feelings.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 10:30 PM ----------

See... perfect example of choosing to be positive rather than negative. If everyone were like that on a larger scale, we wouldn't have this discussion.
    I think with "happy holiday" people take issue with not being able to say Marry Christmas without making someone offended. if a business sends marry christams card to its employees, some employee will sue the company for descrimination or some shit. Even though the company did not mean to offend anyone but will have to pay fine. Its more for the word "marry christmas" being toxic, which did not use to be before people started developing very very very thin skin.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waff View Post
    I once had a teacher.
    And a girl in my class disagreed with his teaching methods.
    Teacher ran out of the class, told to principal, and then the principal came in and told us that the teacher was insulted to his very core.

People are getting too comfortable due to the lack of bigger things nearby, like wars.
    True. but it goes both ways. teachers can't disipline the student anymore for fear of sexual or physical harrasment.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Dome View Post
    Overall, your concept of people being too politicaly correct is a valid point, and also a valid point is when posters get worked up about a single word that doesn't make a difference. I often find people do this so they can avoid the rest of the post, which is just plain stupid.

However, there has to be some sort of political correctness. For example, it simply isn't appropriate for the president to refer to a black person as "ni**er" or a Jew as "kike" or a homosexual person as "fag" or a Muslim as a "Muzzie." It simply isn't right.

That said, when I think of political correctness, I find that it is a far worse - and much much more serious issue - in Europe, where previous colonialists and racists try to make it as though they're angels, and feel badly about their ancestors' racism and Social Darwinism, so they tolerate everyone, including mass murderers. It's so bad, that in places like Norway, you can have 300 rapes in 6 months, but because a certain group is doing it, it will be barely reported. And when it is, they'll say the blame is other people's fault.

So yes, you are right, but I find it is taken to the extreme in Europe/EU, and is far worse than in America.

Just my opinion.

They... tolerate everyone...? Dont you just think its the way they roll? Anders Breivik is as norwegian as they get and he isnt tolerated... He is put in prison...

And when you say it isnt reported, do you mean in the media or to the police... And do you have anything to back up those assertions...

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    I agree.

When I was watching Good Times I wasn't wondering where the white people were, I was just enjoying the show. I'd say if you can't enjoy entertainment without getting offended that your race isn't represented then you are the racist.
    Doubt it. Without a catalyst, people will never learn to accept each other. It did not even happen in India, which is one of the most ancient culture with largest amount of diverse population. How can you expect that in a country like U.S., which only came into existance quite recently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    HEY AMERICA, LISTEN UP.

LEARN

TO

TAKE

A

JOKE.

Seriously though, freedom of speech was not meant to protect commonly accepted politically correct statements. It is there to protect statements that are found controversial. It is meant to protect those who would speak out about things that might be found offensive, without fear of persecution. The people in this country who's objective it is to destroy free speech, hide it under the guise of protecting those who would be offended, kind of blurring the line between offensive subjects and outright hate speech (which is wrong) and lumping it into the same, taboo pile of things to not say.

I also believe that as long as we treat different people differently, we are doing it wrong. It doesn't matter if you silently switch to the other side of the street when you see someone of a different race walking towards you, or if you vote for a president simply because he is black. It doesn't matter if it is a positive or a negative difference in how you treat someone. This is the type of thing we will always do UNTIL WE RESPECT EACHOTHER'S DIFFERENCE ENOUGH TO DISCUSS THEM LIGHTLY WITHOUT DRAMA. Until then, we are all racist, biggoted jerks who hide under the umbrella of political correctness to hide how we really think, by simply not saying it.

Personally, I have a very diverse set of friends, and they are all close friends BECAUSE we can be completely honest about things. Political correctness is unnecessary in the circle I keep.

Also, I am not racist.<snip>

Mod Warning: Don't make racist remarks, joking or not

TL;DR - what is wrong with us that we can't respect each other enough to talk about things honestly, instead hiding behind political correctness when this is simply a dishonest representation of our true nature.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-12-07 at 12:24 AM.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    They... tolerate everyone...? Dont you just think its the way they roll? Anders Breivik is as norwegian as they get and he isnt tolerated... He is put in prison...

And when you say it isnt reported, do you mean in the media or to the police... And do you have anything to back up those assertions...
    Anders Behring Breivik should definitely be locked up for what he did. And when you bomb a government building, and shoot about 100 kids, you're going to jail. This isn't the case I'm talking about.

Here is one example.
    Foreign rapists in Sweden
    Rape wave in Norway here and here - notice how they downplay it and accuse others, for absolutely no reason.

Please note - I am not followers of those websites or blogs, any other content on those blogs may or may not be something I support or advocate. My topic is merely in reference to this post.
    Last edited by Iron Dome; 2011-12-06 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I No I FeaR I View Post
    We Americans glorify violence and hatred and discrimination but when it comes to NATURAL things like naked bodies or sex....NO NO NO! That is SOO WRONG! Sex and nakedness is wrong!
    Its about the culture. Just because something is natural does not mean it is all good or we should accept it or emulate it. Remember Nature is evil. It tries kill you every step of the way. germs, natural disasters, predators or pretty much everything in nature tries to kill you. if men did not dominate nature, men would have dissappered long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree to the full extent of the word. One thing that always gets to me is the nerds that get all EmoButtHurt about calling a band the wrong genre. "They're not metal, they're Pre Death Post Black Heavycore." It's like...shut the hell up.

But other than my little pet peeve, i do think people need to essentially "lighten up" all together both in the online forum and public.
    "Ok, fuck it, I lied. It's drum and bass."

Anders Behring Breivik should definitely be locked up for what he did. And when you bomb a government building, and shoot about 100 kids, you're going to jail. This isn't the case I'm talking about.
    then talk about it... examples please

Quote Originally Posted by bumrush View Post
    HEY AMERICA, LISTEN UP.

LEARN

TO

TAKE

A

JOKE.

Seriously though, freedom of speech was not meant to protect commonly accepted politically correct statements. It is there to protect statements that are found controversial. It is meant to protect those who would speak out about things that might be found offensive, without fear of persecution. The people in this country who's objective it is to destroy free speech, hide it under the guise of protecting those who would be offended, kind of blurring the line between offensive subjects and outright hate speech (which is wrong) and lumping it into the same, taboo pile of things to not say.

I also believe that as long as we treat different people differently, we are doing it wrong. It doesn't matter if you silently switch to the other side of the street when you see someone of a different race walking towards you, or if you vote for a president simply because he is black. It doesn't matter if it is a positive or a negative difference in how you treat someone. This is the type of thing we will always do UNTIL WE RESPECT EACHOTHER'S DIFFERENCE ENOUGH TO DISCUSS THEM LIGHTLY WITHOUT DRAMA. Until then, we are all racist, biggoted jerks who hide under the umbrella of political correctness to hide how we really think, by simply not saying it.

Personally, I have a very diverse set of friends, and they are all close friends BECAUSE we can be completely honest about things. Political correctness is unnecessary in the circle I keep.

Also, I am not racist. <snip>

TL;DR - what is wrong with us that we can't respect each other enough to talk about things honestly, instead hiding behind political correctness when this is simply a dishonest representation of our true nature.
    Freedom of speech has limitations. its mainly protect you from gov't silencing. But its existance in private affairs is as minute as it can get. lets take westboro church for example, gov't cant' do anything about the people who protest and call names to dead soldiers. But say, someone close to that dead soldier, runs over those protesters in anger, where will the freedom of speech go? This is why there are common expected taboo in societies to prevent this kind of incidents from happening.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-12-07 at 12:25 AM.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Overall, your concept of people being too politicaly correct is a valid point, and also a valid point is when posters get worked up about a single word that doesn't make a difference. I often find people do this so they can avoid the rest of the post, which is just plain stupid.

However, there has to be some sort of political correctness. For example, it simply isn't appropriate for the president to refer to a black person as "ni**er" or a Jew as "kike" or a homosexual person as "fag" or a Muslim as a "Muzzie." It simply isn't right.

That said, when I think of political correctness, I find that it is a far worse - and much much more serious issue - in Europe, where previous colonialists and racists try to make it as though they're angels, and feel badly about their ancestors' racism and Social Darwinism, so they tolerate everyone, including mass murderers. It's so bad, that in places like Norway, you can have 300 rapes in 6 months, but because a certain group is doing it, it will be barely reported. And when it is, they'll say the blame is other people's fault.

So yes, you are right, but I find it is taken to the extreme in Europe/EU, and is far worse than in America.

Just my opinion.

I think the fact that you censored nigger, but not kike or fag, in your post lends some weight to the OP's general concept. (unless there's some built in chat filter I'm unaware of ... ?)

I get that it's hard to shake off decades of negative connotations, but in the grand scheme of things words only have the power people give them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if people learned to respect each other for their differences and coexist, we wouldn't have this problem.

the one that pisses me off just from the sheer idiocy of it, is the hypen nationalities. you alyway hear the same shit...oh...im african american, hes african american, our president is african american.

really? i thought you have been trying to be equal? they are segregating themsleves! are u a US citizen? yes? then you are an american. black...american. chinese...american. arab...american. stop making this race thing worse than it is because u are the ones segregating urselves.

my impression is that of all the western countries, america is the least politically correct actually... you can still say stuff there that you could never say here.

Merry christmas jews and muslims

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    my grade school used to have playground equipment. then some kids got hurt...

now if kids want to go outside and play soccer for recess, they're not allowed to run.

they're not allowed to run during soccer.
    LOLOLOLOL

oh my fucking god. youve got to be kidding me

Kids get hurt on playgrounds! MADNESS!

god forbid children do anything fun

I mean lets be honest... I'm sure the moderator's see this on a daily basis. I bet you anything though that they wouldn't have to block a a lot of these threads that were controversial if people didn't get their feelings hurt from every little comment. Moderators have to protect whats in their best interest and I get that. They have a job to do and i respect that, but lets face it. Political correctness has a big role as to why they have to shut down threads.

on the topic of christmas, that annoys me. i dont celebrate "the holidays" or hannukah...i celebrate christmas and will call it christmas. if you celebrate another event, good for you celebrate it, im not gonna bother you or say it offends me. in return, i would appreciate you shut the fuck up about how i celebrate my beliefs.

too many people are that nosey god damn neighbor and if there is a way to keep someone from doing something they will find it.

people do get offended to easily. this country was built on turn of the century good old fashioned new york city immigrant go fuck yourself additude...and we have completely lost that. we are now the united states of the offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Freedom of speech has limitations. its mainly protect you from gov't silencing. But its existance in private affairs is as minute as it can get. lets take westboro church for example, gov't cant' do anything about the people who protest and call names to dead soldiers. But say, someone close to that dead soldier, runs over those protesters in anger, where will the freedom of speech go? This is why there are common expected taboo in societies to prevent this kind of incidents from happening.
    I realize that this is a rather extreme example, but no matter what someone says, it doesn't make it okay for someone to commit a crime against another due to their beliefs, no matter how incorrect they may seem to you. I may think the particular church you are speaking of is full of crazies who don't know what the hell they are talking about. I am not going to go run one over or something because I am a civilized human being. They have a right to think what they think about our soldiers. I have a right to call them out on their blatant stupidity. This does not excuse going so far as to commit a crime.

The limitation of free speech is when you start harming someone else, whether it be threats of violence or slander. That line needs to be more clearly defined so that people know how to not cross it. Instead of that, we go way overboard protecting everyone's feelings. I never saw anything in the Bill of Rights stating the Inalienable Right to never be offended, and honestly people need to just grow up.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Why do you think they chose to build a moque there? They could of chosen other locations but they chose this location. Why do you think? You think it was because thats where all the muslims are located? its a cultural center, not a community center.
    Why do I think they chose to build there? Because it's in a great central location, there's a large Muslim population nearby, they found it at a good price, there's not a whole lot of real estate for sale in NYC, it's close to several subway stops. Need I go on? And it's a community center. They've got a floor for Islamic worship, a gym, a daycare center, a soup kitchen, etc. Please stop speaking about issues you don't understand. You're not a resident of NYC, your opinion on this does not matter. You don't understand our values or how we feel about this. It does NOT effect you.

Have you even seen what Park51 is going to look like? I'll give you a hint, it looks nothing like a mosque and even features a 20 foot star of david on its facade. To think that all Muslims, let alone more than a handful, support the terrorist attacks against their own nation, that killed their own people, put their own relatives out of work, and brought shame to their people is outrageous. These people are just as American as you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    the one that pisses me off just from the sheer idiocy of it, is the hypen nationalities. you alyway hear the same shit...oh...im african american, hes african american, our president is african american.

really? i thought you have been trying to be equal? they are segregating themsleves! are u a US citizen? yes? then you are an american. black...american. chinese...american. arab...american. stop making this race thing worse than it is because u are the ones segregating urselves.

You have a point there. If you are an American citizen, you are none of these, YOU ARE AN AMERICAN. You really don't go to Germany and see French-Germans or Dutch-Germans..... just Germans. Why do we have to be so specialized here? I mean lets be honest, African-American is just another way to say black at this point. It is no less disrespectful to not simply consider a person that is different from you to be a group that is different from yours when we all live, work, and pay taxes in the same fucking place.