Thread: GPU for TOR?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Got a 560Ti myself as well just to be on the safe side. Oh, and a 120gb SSD for a good measure

You guys all seem fairly knowlegable on this topic so I thought I'd try and pick your brains!

My current set up is :

Intel e8400
    GTX 280
    4gig Ram
    Asus mobo (not sure on model sorry)

I have around £400 to spend and I'm not sure what would make the biggest difference to my system. Impart your wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by orren77 View Post
    Oh, and a 120gb SSD for a good measure
    That's just cheating. (give?)

--------

People in Vanilla,
    Was WoW a performance hungry game when it arrived?

Deleted
    I found my phenom 955 quad @ 4ghz holding me back over my 6850

Card was hardly getting a workout, but in cities and such my processor just wasn't up to snuff :|

If intel weren't so insultingly expensive i'd buy an i5 2500k for TOR. Gotta wait for price drops whenever they may be
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2011-12-07 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
    You guys all seem fairly knowlegable on this topic so I thought I'd try and pick your brains!

My current set up is :

Intel e8400
    GTX 280
    4gig Ram

I have around £400 to spend and I'm not sure what would make the biggest difference to my system. Impart your wisdom!
    tbh, it does depend on what you're using your PC for...

Based on what you've said here, and me assuming you're using Win 7. I'd say get a gfx card upgrade (again a 6850 or 560ti) and boost your ram by another 4gig.

Quote Originally Posted by godhand2nd View Post
    tbh, it does depend on what you're using your PC for...

Based on what you've said here, and me assuming you're using Win 7. I'd say get a gfx card upgrade (again a 6850 or 560ti) and boost your ram by another 4gig.
    Yes i'm using win7. Mainly the machine is for TOR and general use, i don't require any video editing or things like that.

I looked into the 560ti and it didn't seem like much of an upgrade to my gtx 280, I'd rather spend a little more money and get a real upgrade!

With RAM, do I need to get the same RAM i have now (make / model) or can i mix and match them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Do you think that will be overkill for a current MMO? I am all for future proofing....but at the same time future proofing beyond a certain point ends up costing more (given that the technology gets cheaper as time goes on)?

For me, PC= MMOs....Everything else=console.
    i didnt say get some super expensive card :P but when series 7 releases, expect a big price cut on current cards which will be very tempting imo. Really depends how good the new cards are for me personally.. it sounds like ati are trying something new with these upcoming cards so im very interested in seeing how well they perform.

Deleted
    Yes i'm using win7. Mainly the machine is for TOR and general use, i don't require any video editing or things like that.

I looked into the 560ti and it didn't seem like much of an upgrade to my gtx 280, I'd rather spend a little more money and get a real upgrade!

With RAM, do I need to get the same RAM i have now (make / model) or can i mix and match them?
    With £400, it depends how much of your old system you recycle. Like the GTX 280, HDD, disk drive and case etc can all be recycled.

I'd go with a new CPU, mobo and RAM atleast.

An i5 2500k, Gigabyte Z68 board and 8G RAM is going to cost ~£290.

Though if you're in the UK, the best way is to use Scan.co.uk today only deals. http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx
    I managed to knock ~£80 off my build using the Today Only Deals, which is quite a difference to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqir View Post
    I'm sorry but the technology in a GTX 260 simply cannot run this game on max settings just "fine". Your avarage fps might be acceptable 30+ but that card will dip below playable on a regular basis with max settings on. Perhaps you played on the beta-weekend when everyone was invited? since you coulnd't have the high end settings enabled then. The gtx 260 is a solid card but it's almost 4 years old by now and to keep yourself on playable fps all the time you will have to play on low-medium settings with the fancy stuff turned down.
    I played then, yes, but I also played in other beta tests, I've had the chance to level as far as Alderran and never really had any issues (So I've been through a fair share of environments to see any issues). As I clarified, I turned a few things down from maximum that seemed to have little impact in the overall play, for instance, I had to turn shadows off to stop the FPS drops that would happen, literally at random, as I explained. I also turned clip distance down to about half - I put it as short as I could before I noticed anything in the world "disappear" - honestly, the clip distance seems to be huge in TOR, to the point that at maximum, even in an open world, you won't be able to see any difference between it being full or 2/3rds full. Everything else I had on Maximum. Of course, I also didn't have AA on, since it couldn't be set, and I didn't force it. I should point out that Shadows didn't really have a huge impact on my regular FPS, it's just in some random areas my FPS would suddenly die for no apparent reason, not because of a lot of things going on, but just because. I could start up the game and it would be fine, I go back to the same place later on, and it would happen again - certain places seemed to cause it quite a lot, but not all the time, after playing around with settings I found that simply disabling shadows seemed to stop it from occurring.

As I said though - I had everything on maximum and everything was fine, although I don't have numbers though, I did notice the occasional dip, and so I turned the clip distance down just a little bit, and I didn't notice any fps loss from there on, which is what I originally stated. I wasn't trying to imply that I was running the game at full maximum settings always, I said I had it on maximum and it was mostly fine, with the occasional dip, so I lowered a couple of settings just a little and it was more than fine. I didn't lower my settings anywhere near as much as you seem to think is required, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    People in Vanilla,
    Was WoW a performance hungry game when it arrived?
    Not that I recall.

EQ2 Came out 2 weeks before WoW and was resource and graphics intensive for its time in 2004. My system ran EQ2 without a problem so I had no issues with WoW. I am sure people that made the jump from EQ1 to WoW might feel different though, as the system requirements were quite different.

OT: Star Wars does seem a bit needier from a resource standpoint than i anticipated. A number of folks who I play with who have medium quality rigs might have some issues with the game.

Also if you are running a decent setup and are having major FPS issues make sure you are using the most updated driver, especially for AMD cards.
    Last edited by jearle; 2011-12-07 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    so I turned the clip distance down just a little bit, and I didn't notice any fps loss from there on, which is what I originally stated.
    I think, not sure tho but in this last betaweekend playing with the retail client that they actully removed the distance option, pretty sure I checked out all the new settings and that option wasn't there. not 100% sure tho, ill check it out and make an edit if I come up with anything.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 03:32 PM ----------

My current set up is :

Intel e8400
    GTX 280
    4gig Ram

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3087-9.html - this tells you what kind of things you want to upgrade first. like topic says, the "retail-beta" version is kind of GPU hungry for an mmo.
    Last edited by Aqir; 2011-12-07 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added proper link

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If its not 64bit w7 dont bother as 32bit can only see around 3-4gig

I'm currently putting together a super-budget computer and I was wondering if someone could take a look and see if it's good enough for SWTOR.

At the moment I am using my laptop as my primary gaming PC... it has an Intel Core 2 CPU with two Nvidia GeForce 8700M GTs in SLI and 3GB RAM (My mobo only recognizes up to 3 =/). During beta I was lucky to get mid-20s FPS on all low settings...

My build currently looks like this:

MOBO: AMD 870
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 270 3.4GHz
    GPU: Radeon HD 5570 1GB
    RAM: G-Skill 8GB
    HDD: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM

Thank you for any input. If I should post this elsewhere, please let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    This just confirmed that I need to SLI my GTX 460 SE. With only one card, I was seeing the exact frames that review posted; so in SLI, I should get more than enough to keep me happy. It's nice to finally see a game that's more GPU-oriented instead of CPU-oriented, like Rift and WoW are.
    yes yes, moar shiny objects for meeeee

edit: rift was horrid on my computer
    weeee!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krymefighter View Post
    I'm currently putting together a super-budget computer and I was wondering if someone could take a look and see if it's good enough for SWTOR.

At the moment I am using my laptop as my primary gaming PC... it has an Intel Core 2 CPU with two Nvidia GeForce 8700M GTs in SLI and 3GB RAM (My mobo only recognizes up to 3 =/). During beta I was lucky to get mid-20s FPS on all low settings...

My build currently looks like this:

MOBO: AMD 870
    CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 270 3.4GHz
    GPU: Radeon HD 5570 1GB
    RAM: G-Skill 8GB
    HDD: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM

Thank you for any input. If I should post this elsewhere, please let me know.
    I'm confused, is the currently build the one you are planing on building or the one you got?

Best CPU for money when it comes to gaming is : i5 2500.
    Best CPU for the money is : Radeon HD 6870.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Those might be best for the money, but I only have about $450 and I would like to have something that can play the game when it comes out then upgrade the pieces as time goes on. That is why I called it a super-budget build.

I only want it for SWTOR right now. Later I want to add on to it so that I can play Skyrim on high or better, but that's later...

I've never used an ATI card, mainly because I hear lots of shoddy things in regards to their driver support. What is it like these days? Is it really good enough to justify buying?

I've never used an ATI card, mainly because I hear lots of shoddy things in regards to their driver support. What is it like these days? Is it really good enough to justify buying?
    They're idiots. Buy ATI if the price point is right. Look at benchmarks for specific games if you're worried, but it's extremely unusual for ATI or Nvidia cards to just fail at a game.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So look at me I'm a computer forum mod, means I know a thing or two about computers!

For the Old Republic you will want a Radeon HD6770 or higher or a GTX460 / GTX 560 Ti or higher. Prices will range from $109 and up.

Personally I've gamed on the equivalent processor combined with an HD6770 and was playing with everything on high without a hiccup or stutter.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 11:32 AM ----------

For several months now AMD has been releasing driver updates back to back due to new video game releases. The notion that AMD does not support their Radeon line of video cards with proper driver support is false.

Which processor are you referring to Culadin? The one I have in my initial post or the intel one later on?