Poll: Can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Weapon swaps.
    thanks mif.
    switching weapons will incur a recharge right? and u can switch btn more than 2 weapons right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    In theory it is amazing.... in practice however..... WE DONT F**KING KNOW. I don't think they have done any beta invites yet, so we have no idea whatsoever about what can be improved. I like some of the concepts they are pursuing, but really it is too early for this thread.

Actually, on that note.... it can be improved by opening the beta.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    thanks mif.
    switching weapons will incur a recharge right? and u can switch btn more than 2 weapons right?
    Yup and Yup

"2 weapons" can consist of a 2h or a mh+oh as part your "2 weapons" you want to use. Each coming with a different set of skills.

Edit: omg I beat mif... wait for it..... he will come with more information!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Is that really a bad thing though? I don't see inflating happening unless a high demand for a certain item. Even so gold will still feel less useful so why collect mass amounts of it?
    it is a bad thing. gold will feel less useful because everyone has mass amounts of it. the supply of gold is too much compared to the supply of goods and services that absorb gold. gold itself has no value unless there is an equal amount of goods and service for gold to represent.
    if u look back at D2, gold was so abundant/useless that players had to turn to an alternative form of currency: SoJ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    what is an example of a "punishing" mechanism?
    Well there's a wide variety of such mechanisms across all types of video-games. In MMO's we commonly find things like "repair-bills" or "time tax" in form of a corpse run or simple "idle-time" like when waiting for a respawn in BF3.

Personally I'm an avid supporter of repair-bills because they serve multiple purposes in an MMO environment.

-They work as "death tax", punishing failure.
    -They curb gold inflation.
    -They scale with gear level, increasing the risk/reward factor as you progress.
    -They make good gear slightly more prestigious, because it requires more investment. (very minor)
    -They are universally accepted throughout MMOs.
    -They provide a "soft" point of failure, when everyone's gear is broke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    But leveling is a very fundamental "carrot" on a stick" mechanic. It works very well and I wouldn't want to see it removed. (it even works in games like Battlefield 3, even though it doesn't really make you more powerful, it just adds more options).

My only concerns:

1. I know this has been debated to death and I have no intention of continuing that debate, but I still don't like the instant-travel feature. I'd much prefer a regular mount system.

2. Portals between zones: I love the fact that Azeroth is a seamless world. Having loading screens and portals between zones is a technical necessity, but it ruins immersion.

3. With ""only" 10+5 abilities per character, most of which will involve some sort of damage-dealing, I'm not sure the skill-cap will be quite as high as I had hoped.

4. Lack of "anti inflation" mechanisms: Based on hearsay, ANet seems to be reluctant to add much in the way of "gold sinks" into the game. No repair bills and not much in the way of reoccurring costs might result in gold being either meaningless or inflating at an excessive rate.

5. Too little "punishing" mechanisms: In order for success to be meaningful, failure has to be a possibility. And in order for failure to feel like a failure, we need "punishing" mechanisms. Yet ANet seems to insist on only adding "fun" elements to their game while removing all the "punishing" stuff. I fear we might end up with a game in which success feels meaningless and irrelevant, similar to how it currently feels in WoW outside of heroic raids.

Now let me just say that I've read and watched almost all of the relevant GW2 information out there and that I've debated each of these issues extensively on these boards. They are purely my opinion based mostly on hearsay and conjecture. So unless you have some new information or insight, please don't insist on lecturing me on the fallacies of my views.

1. That's a personal preference, not a design flaw.
    2. It would be good if this wasn't here. The zones are huge though.That should help with immersion. Personally not a game breaker.
    3. Ok well most weapon skills on the left involve damage. The point is though is that they also offer differening effects. You also tactically switch weapons in combat along with dodging which willcontribute alot to how good someone is. Also it's alot more than 15 skills in every case.Warrior and Thief have like 17 but elementalist has 25 skills or more on one weapon alone, the engineer also has a ton so. I'm pretty sure there will be no problem with skill cap.
    4. Far too early to speculate
    5. Needing Unnecessary punishing stuff to balance the good stuff is simply not true at all and this attitude needs to change and fast. Arenanet are taking awful time sinks out of the game to allow for fun without delay or punishment which is how all games should aspire to be. It's actually kinda disturbing in a way that you are complaining due to them adding on fun stuff. You want bullshit? WoW is the game for you.

Slight edit. There WILL be a possibility for failure and nowhere has it said otherwise. Taking out bad mechanics is not the same and making the whole game faceroll. If you are talking about hard content though you should be looking at Elite event areas like Orr has been mentioned, boss events and explorable dungeons.
    Last edited by mmoc994488aac4; 2011-12-26 at 03:01 PM.

Well there's a wide variety of such mechanisms across all types of video-games. In MMO's we commonly find things like "repair-bills" or "time tax" in form of a corpse run or simple "idle-time" like when waiting for a respawn in BF3.

Personally I'm an avid supporter of repair-bills because they serve multiple purposes in an MMO environment.

-They work as "death tax", punishing failure.
    -They curb gold inflation.
    -They scale with gear level, increasing the risk/reward factor as you progress.
    -They make good gear slightly more prestigious, because it requires more investment. (very minor)
    -They are universally accepted throughout MMOs.
    -They provide a "soft" point of failure, when everyone's gear is broke.
    ah thanks for the reply.
    i personally do not support "more punishing mechanisms" then. i m in favor of more gold sinks. as u mentioned, costs for repairing armor, costs for transportation, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasere View Post
    1. That's a personal preferemce, not a design flaw.
    2. It would be good if this wasn't here. The zones are huge though.That should help with immersion. Personally not a game breaker.
    3. Ok well most weapon skills on the left involve damage. The point is though is that they also offer differening effects. You also tactically switch weapons in combat along with dodging which willcontribute alot to how good someone is. Also it's alot more than 15 skills in every case.Warrior and Thief have like 17 but elementalist has 25 skills or more on one weapon alone, the engineer also has a ton so. I'm pretty sure there will be no problem with skill cap.
    4. Far too early to speculate
    5. Needing Unnecessary punishing stuff to balance the good stuff is simply not true at all and this attitude needs to change and fast. Arenanet are taking awful time sinks out of the game to allow for fun without delay or punishment which is how all games should aspire to be. It's actually kinda disturbing in a way that you are complaining due to them adding on fun stuff. You want bullshit? WoW is the game for you.
    I guess it was only a matter of time until a self-proclaimed "internet white-knight" came down to defend ANet's design decisions.

You do this despite this clearly being stated as "my opinion" and in a thread essentially about "how to improve the game".

You Sir, win +1 Internet

/sarcasm
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-12-26 at 03:04 PM.

I guess it was only a matter of time until a self-proclaimed "internet white-knight" came down to defend ANet's design decisions.

You do this despite this clearly being stated as "my opinion" and in a thread essentially about what we don't like about the game.

You Sir, win +1 Internet

/sarcasm
    Shouldn't it be -1 internetz?

Deleted

You do this despite this clearly being stated as "my opinion" and in a thread essentially about what we don't like about the game.

You Sir, win +1 Internet

/sarcasm
    Are you delusional or did you not read what i replied at all 0o? I addressed your concerns in a fair way, if you cant handle that i suggest you leave the forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Shouldn't it be -1 internetz?
    Aren't you missing a "/sarcasm" tag?

Aren't you missing a "/sarcasm" tag?
    >.>
    <.<
    ^.^

No! Ok maybe..

Deleted
    Are you delusional or did you not read what i replied at all 0o? I addressed your concerns in a fair way, if you cant handle that i suggest you leave the forums.
    Telling a Mod to "gtfo" off his forums is a good indication of "reason".
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-12-26 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    Telling a Mod to "gtfo" of his forums is a good indication of "reason".
    You come into a thread and post your concerns then get offended when someone comments on them which is not really logical. Also no one said 'gtfo' but clearly leaving is the thing to do if you get defensive at the first mention of something which is a different opinion to your own.

Deleted
    Hmm, I think they should take a closer look at the achievement system they implemented.
    It's a bit confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Hmm, I think they should take a closer look at the achievement system they implemented.
    It's a bit confusing.
    So getting back on topic here.... I think achievements are a fusion of daily "quests" and actual achievements. If comparing to WoW:

Regular achievements act just like the current WoW achievements
    Daily achievements act just like WoW's daily quests
    Monthly achievements are achievements that switch monthly. Weather or not they will show up again after the month they already appeared is unknown.

Deleted
    You come into a thread and post your concerns then get offended when someone comments on them which is not really logical. Also no one said 'gtfo' but clearly leaving is the thing to do if you get defensive at the first mention of something which is a different opinion to your own.
    No, I took offense to you calling me delusional and telling me to leave the forums.

However I am annoyed by the fact that you attempt to "invalidate" my opinion despite me clearly stating that I have no intention of discussing it as I have done so already to an excess in a thread called "What do you not like about GW2". If it wasn't for the crappy search function I'd have liked you to a 4+ page discussion on exactly why "pushing" mechanism are necessary.

But just to get you started, do you think Counterstrike would be a more exciting game if players instantly respawned?
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-12-26 at 03:46 PM.

Deleted
    As far as I can tell right now, the game is perfect. I might notice some improvements when I play, but not at the moment.

Deleted
    5. Too little "punishing" mechanisms: In order for success to be meaningful, failure has to be a possibility. And in order for failure to feel like a failure, we need "punishing" mechanisms. Yet ANet seems to insist on only adding "fun" elements to their game while removing all the "punishing" stuff. I fear we might end up with a game in which success feels meaningless and irrelevant, similar to how it currently feels in WoW outside of heroic raids.
    From what i understand if you fail a dynamic event bad shit will happen to you your buddies and the entire zone depending on the event. How is this not a punishment? They have stated they are not afraid to let whole zones be taken over just cuz players didn't bother to defend them

15+ Year Old Account
    The only things i care about.

#1 Game smoothness. By far, at least for 80% of what makes or breaks a game. I want my char to walk, turn, cast smooth. Wow is the only game that seems to have perfected it. Nice graphics don't mean Sh*t if the game itself is not smooth.

#2 A game you can play for the first time, and everything is where you think it would be. This is more accessibility, stuff should be organized. Citys should be big, but not complex. I want to easily navigate throughout the game. Its like a ipod. Everything is where you think it should be. super user friendly.

#3 Content. Some things that a lot of games get wrong. Not enough content. i.e. Not enough bg's (or what ever 5v5 is called), not enough dungeons, world bosses, events in general. I dont want to go stir crazy on the same bg map. I personally love the layout. But some might prefer another, give them the option to play many layouts. I still hate to say it. But raids, give people the option to do them.

#4 How are you going to balance...specifically DE's/Dungeons. I am not to worried about pvp, because the game was designed around it. So it should be next to perfect. I am talking pve. How are you going to balance DE's so "pug" groups can accomplish big DE's, but when guilds want to do the same event, its not going to be super easy. Some people just dont like being in guilds, or dependent on a specific group of people. How will they see the harder content? Its a fine balance of appealing to the solo player and the experienced guild. Options, and lots of them imo make a better game.

Those are my main concerns. As for everything else, from what ive seen the game should be great. And will have the best pvp mmo's have ever seen.

Edit:No game is perfect. Or will ever be.
    Last edited by hellar; 2011-12-26 at 04:37 PM.