Poll: What is your opinion of "Let's Play" videos?

What is your opinion of "Let's Play" videos

I know that there are a lot of mixed opinions about Let's Plays, and some people actually feel quite strongly about them. There are some people who just hate them, and think that they are for losers and are pointless. And on the other hand, some people legitimately enjoy them, and will actually watch whole series. And then there are plenty of people that don't care, I'm sure.

If you don't know what a Let's Play is, it's basically when somebody records himself playing a video game and commentates it. Sometimes they narrate the dialogue in-game, or tell jokes, or just do other little things to personalize it.

Personally, I don't mind them, and I may watch a few episodes if they're about a game that I don't have access to/can't play. I see no reason to hate them.

I love them, when they're well done. Some games are a lot more fun to watch and listen to commentary about than to actual play. It's also interesting seeing how somebody else plays a game that I've already played through, especially Pokemon LPs.

Don't watch them all that much. They are pretty good sometimes, but Skelington says meh.

I've seen very few that are decent. So much of it depends on how engaging/entertaining the dude playing is and sadly most of them are boring as hell. It's no fun just watching some dude mouthbreathing while he plays through a game : /

I've watched a couple IWBTG let's plays, those are usually pretty good.

I pretty much agree with edge though, it's like 90% on the commentator to keep me engaged enough to watch them play through an entire game.

I don't mind them, they're kind of just a regular gamer's take on a game. I watch LPs sometimes to see if I think a game is something I'd like or not. And my friend does LP's just because it's fun. People who just don't like LP's are just trolls, nobody forces you to watch these and nobody is in your face about watching LPs, or they're just envious of the player's skill.

I do find most LPs very boring and I don't watch them for entertainment. Most of the time its just some monotone deadbeat rambling or some really obnoxious kid who narrates the dialogue and you can't help but mute.

I like them because I can see what a game is like before I buy it. I watched a 20min video of skyrim then went and bought it so they are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I've watched a couple IWBTG let's plays, those are usually pretty good.
    These are the Let's Plays that I like. Super-hard games/hacks that leave the commentator in tears. The Kaizo Trap is great.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the Let's Player and on the game. I watch them, so I like them - I even produce some myself (but in german, so not really interesting to you xD). But I've seen some people who simply don't have a good voice. You can't listen to them for a long time and if they try to make a let's play... no thank you.

As said, the main aspect is the person who does the let's play and the game that is let's played.

We should admit it, we all love to see people fail and rage at hard games.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a random youtuber with no commentary at all/poor commentating then a NO, GO AWAY!

If it's people like Toby Turner which can commentate quality all the time then yes.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory