Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I have 4 gigs of RAM and only 2 are showing up

I got my new motherboard. Everything Is fine but the RAM. I have 4 gigs Installed, but only 2 are showing up. I have installed the latest drivers and BIOS and still It shows 2 gigs Instead of 4. The RAM Isn't faulty I already checked. Their In the slots fully, so that's not the Issue either. This motherboard supports my RAM I already checked that also.
    What's causing this?

15+ Year Old Account
    What OS are you on? If you're on an older 32bit system its limited how much RAM you can use.
    If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people - Dr. Gregory House

10+ Year Old Account
    Not using a 64bit os is the most common reason. but missing that much from 4 seems like something else in addition to the os.

Also check for options in your BIOS related to this, on my motherboard I need to enable "Memory Remap Feature" even with 64-bit Windows to see all 4 GB.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

What video card are you using? On a 32bit OS, the memory pool maximum (4gig) also includes video memory.

Im using windows 7 32 bit. I just changed motherboards tonight. I know that 32 bit can only use like 3.5 or something. My old motherboard used up 3 to 3.5 gigs.
    My computer Is showing 2 gigs. Everything worked fine on my old motherboard. It's just my new one that Isn't taking the extra gig.

Are all the sticks the same brand? It seems silly but sometimes different brands don't mix so well. Try switching the ram around.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketzest View Post
    Are all the sticks the same brand? It seems silly but sometimes different brands don't mix so well. Try switching the ram around.
    Yes the RAM Is the same brand and module.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
    What video card are you using? On a 32bit OS, the memory pool maximum (4gig) also includes video memory.
    +1 As motherboards will often count the video card memory BEFORE general system memory.

As I said before, everything worked fine on my older motherboard. It's just my new one that can't take my 4 gigs, It's only taking 2 gigs.
    BIOS and drivers are all up to date and the timings on the RAM are set to the correct timings.

If you go into the BIOS of your system board does 4gigs show up on the general information screen?(Might be measured in KB but you should be able to tell if it sees 2 or 4)

if u have 2 at 2GB, windows 32-bit will NOT recognize that 2nd stick

Deleted
    New 2 GB VRAM graphics card? :> Either way install Win 7 x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Moucalgeon View Post
    If you go into the BIOS of your system board does 4gigs show up on the general information screen?(Might be measured in KB but you should be able to tell if it sees 2 or 4)
    Yes It shows 4096 MB's.

Ok, and is this the same type of MB as before or totally different one?

Have you reinstalled windows since you swapped the motherboard? Windows doesn't like MB changes, if you haven't check to make sure windows is still activated.
    Its often considered good practice(though not necessarily required) to reinstall windows when you move to another motherboard even if its the exact same board.

Ok, and is this the same type of MB as before or totally different one?

Have you reinstalled windows since you swapped the motherboard? Windows doesn't like MB changes, if you haven't check to make sure windows is still activated.
    Its often considered good practice(though not necessarily required) to reinstall windows when you move to another motherboard even if its the exact same board.
    Its the same brand "asrock". It's a 1155 socket z68 board. My old mobo was a 1556 p55. No I didn't reinstall windows when switching motherboards.

If the BIOS is detecting it, but Windows is not then it does sound like its being reserved as video memory perhaps by the on-board graphics.
    Try disabling that if you can, or you should have an option to reduce the amount it is using.

At this point I'd recommend reinstalling windows 7 x64 instead, you dont need a new key or anything if you have home premium 32 you can install 64 with the same key. You'll get all 4 gigs and your video memory(if you have a dedicated card). If you do upgrade your ram later you wont have to reinstall then.

It could be a BIOS setting as ComputerNerd mentioned, but unless you have critical software that requires 32bit 64bit has been mainstream for a while now.

At this point I'd recommend reinstalling windows 7 x64 instead, you dont need a new key or anything if you have home premium 32 you can install 64 with the same key. You'll get all 4 gigs and your video memory(if you have a dedicated card). If you do upgrade your ram later you wont have to reinstall then.

It could be a BIOS setting as ComputerNerd mentioned, but unless you have critical software that requires 32bit 64bit has been mainstream for a while now.
    Is there anyway to upgrade to 64 bit without needing the disk. I have the product key on my computer but no disk.

---------- Post added 2011-12-30 at 11:04 PM ----------

I mean to do a fresh Install, not upgrade.

Well you could download windows 7 x64 from a torrent site burn it on a DVD and then install windows with your cd-key.. although just make sure you do not download a cracked version ahah