Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Should guards give honor?

I was logging on WoW and my loading screen tip was the one saying that killing guards awards no honor.

But then i started to wonder...

Wouldn't it be a good idea that city guards give honor?

It would promote world PvP and city raids. They should give a decent amount of honor, though not too high so it doesn't become TOO good.

or maybe just allow it on PvP realms?

Deleted
    Most people will say no, they will find 1000 reasons why this is not good, yet not waste a single thought on how it could be made viable.
    Blizzard has an extreme paranoia regarding game mechanics that could be exploited in some way, that's probably one of the reasons why guards yield no experience, honor and loot.

World PvP must be about attacking cities, killing faction leaders, rewarding the successfull attackers and punishing the faction that loses their leader (incentive to defend).
    Punishment for example could be significantly increased repair costs and auction house fees.

I'm pretty sure waaaaaaaaay back in vanilla, guards and city bosses gave honor, and that tip is a reminder that they don't give anymore

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always felt that on PvP realms the only places that should have guards should be the main cities and they shouldn't be able to one shot, but still be somewhat difficult if you don't keep them under control. If they did give honor it would have to be extremely low.

if guards remain this AMPED UP then yes i believe they should. theyre sometimes harder to kill than players. if they get nerfed to the ground (like how they were in previous expansions) then theres no reason to award honor imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    if guards remain this AMPED UP then yes i believe they should. theyre sometimes harder to kill than players. if they get nerfed to the ground (like how they were in previous expansions) then theres no reason to award honor imo.
    They weren't nerfed, they were just lower to start with, lvl 75 during WotLK, now they're lvl 85. They should have been lvl 80 now.
    Guards should always give honor on PVE servers, regardless of lvl. On PVP servers they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    Most people will say no, they will find 1000 reasons why this is not good, yet not waste a single thought on how it could be made viable.
    Blizzard has an extreme paranoia regarding game mechanics that could be exploited in some way, that's probably one of the reasons why guards yield no experience, honor and loot.

World PvP must be about attacking cities, killing faction leaders, rewarding the successfull attackers and punishing the faction that loses their leader (incentive to defend).
    Punishment for example could be significantly increased repair costs and auction house fees.
    You mean like how farming guards for honor would become viable and would ruin battlegrounds?
    "Oh well they can just put diminishing returns on it!"
    Well that depends on how long it is.. If guards gave 1 honor per kill maybe but then people would whine that it's far too little honor or something.

Its fine as it is.
    Not really.... If you get a group of smart people together you can farm them endlessly, it just gets annoying.

Deleted
    You don't even have to come up with any complex reasoning, simple "people would exploit and farm it" is enough.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they do farm them, what are they gonna do with the honor? You only need so much for the honor set at that time and after that it becomes useless to pvper, well besides changing it into justice points but still, you can only get so much gear from justice points as well. It would be nice to see them give a little bit of honor but not enough that it becomes faster to kill guards than it is to do BGs.

Used to kill guards anyway even though they didn't give honor, until they buffed them in Cata.

Nerfing the guards and giving a minor honor gain from killing them will definately be a help to restoring W-PvP.

As long as their level remains decently ahead of ours and they can do more than auto-attack, and aren't tankable (attack whoever they want).

10+ Year Old Account
    1-10 honor if killing guard, 100-500 for killing a boss

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You know considering...
    1. the rate of guard spawns
    2. how much HP lv.85 guards have
    3. how much CC they can do

I'd say lv.85 guards should give a bit of honor.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think that the cities (and towns) should have a progressive rate for the spawn/power of the guards. Start off with lvl 80 or 85 normals, then after so many kills or a set time, it goes to a heightened defensive mode for x minutes. Then it starts spawning more guards and eventually elite guards. :P Prevents keeping the towns due to overwhelming guards, and they cannot just "oh lets leave and come back right after" if the time was set to, say, an hour till elites/fast re-spawn buff is gone?
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

No, there is nothing honorable about killing people just doing their job

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    punishing the faction that loses their leader
    Without a mechanic to balance servers (for which there doesn't exist a viable, efficient solution where players still get to choose where they play), you can't punish a faction for losing in world PvP. That's so dumb. You'd take every server that's already like 2:1-4:1 in favor of one side and turn them all into 100:1.

Anyways- The guards not rewarding honor is a hold over from the original honor (rating) system. There's really no reason for guards not to give honor now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Guards are currently extremely weak. You can literally pull as many as there are available and still kill them with a 5 man group, (so as long as no enemy players interfere) and as such should give very little honor. (I'd say something along the lines of 0.05)
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not how hard they hit that's really the problem anymore--it was at the beginning of the expansion, less so now that we're better geared--but rather how quickly they multiply. It's pretty ridiculous how quickly one or two guards becomes a dozen, which makes it hard for a smaller group of players to wreak any havoc like they used to be able to.

Considering some guards have like one overpoweredillion health then... Yeah maybe they should give a bit

People would just form raid groups and take over cities for mass honor.