Thread: Tanking or DPS?

Tanking or DPS?

So, I'm in this phase of not knowing what I want to do on my warrior. I'm leveling him right now on RaF and I'm not sure if I want to do tanking or just DPS.

I've always wanted to do tanking but I had a crappy computer and now I don't, I can run just about anything now but anyways. If I tanked I would hate all that pressure because I've never tanked before and it seems like fun and it seems like you would gear up pretty quick since you are the only one rolling on tanking gear unless you are in a raid then you are rolling against 1 other.

So could someone help me choose, maybe some pros and cons?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would pick tanking any day. Yeah you'll have people nag at you, but you already have that if you under-perform in any aspect of the game as dps/healer. About pressure, just let it go and don't listen to just anything, it's random people you run with most of the times anyways.
    Armory - R.IO - If you give a Bear a Bratwurst, He´s gonna want some brains!

15+ Year Old Account
    Tanking as a warrior is much fun. I played all four classes and none of them can "control" a battle so much like a warrior in 5-mans. In raids, they excell in utility and mobility. Being a prot warrior makes you feel like every button you press has an impact.

Can't tell you much about dps, it's pretty boring to me. Try it out, but deffinetly give tanking a chance first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DerSenf View Post
    Tanking as a warrior is much fun. I played all four classes and none of them can "control" a battle so much like a warrior in 5-mans. In raids, they excell in utility and mobility. Being a prot warrior makes you feel like every button you press has an impact.

Can't tell you much about dps, it's pretty boring to me. Try it out, but deffinetly give tanking a chance first.
    I pretty much agree in how he described warrior tanking.
    I have tanked with 3/4 classes, and warrior is by far the most rewarding class, for me.

I am DPS main spec, but I do use my OS to tank with. I suggest you do the same. Gear one spec first, then try the other and see what you like.
    We can't decide anything for you, only give you our opinion, which in the end shouldn't matter too much with your final decision.
    Last edited by Fog; 2012-01-05 at 07:14 PM.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

Being a tank normally means you have alot of pull in raids, people look up to you and its easy to excel and lead as a tank. Being a dps means you fill the void of the other 6 people or 15 people who do you want to be the leader or the follower?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I was Fury main spec until 4.3, but now I'm a tank. I've tanked on a DK and Paladin, but Warrior is so much more fun. You should try out all the specs and just see which you enjoy the most!

Deleted
    Was Fury through cata up to the end of 4.2, where, after a few lucky drops for my off spec, I started to tank. Then our guild tank left so I had to tank.

In 4.3 I am a main tank and I have not regretted it at all - I love tanking. So much. I tank on the Warrior, Paladin and Death Knight but the other two don't even compare!! It's just such an intense class to play as a tank.

Also, I agree with what is written above, it depends whether you want the success/failure of a group on mainly you - or if you relish that. My advice would be to try out tanking, but get Omen and Tidy Threat Plates addons as they help so so much!