Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Varric Tethras and his lovely Bianca:

This guy MADE dragon age 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    I'll go with elder scrolls dwemer. Otherwise, dwarves are dwarves are dwarves. Always the same.
    Actually, Yagram Bagarn was kind of a dick. I mean, I know he mentioned it "might" malfunction, but losing over 200 HP permanently? FUUUUUUUUU!!!

LOTR dwarves are the best imho. Forgotten Realms dwarves are awesome too though.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Well, I wasn't specifically saying "LotR" but Tolkien in its entirety. The Hobbit put in a very good picture of dwarven culture and Gimli and the chapter in Moria explored that culture rather extensively too.
    Thank you, just what I was wondering. Guess I should go read the hobbit, it's just been one of those book I've always wanted to read, but never have for some reason? Probably video games, lol. Maybe I'll dust off the old trilogy and read that chapter again too.

Also, I've always loved what Warcraft did with the dwarves, especially with the Earthen story line and the curse of flesh in WotLK. Hopefully the continuation of that story with Magni in the future.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-01-09 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

the problem with elder scrolls dwarves is that they make your head hurt if you think too much about them.
    they philosophied themselves out of existence..

Wait.. there are Dwarfs!?

10+ Year Old Account
    magig the gathering has cool dwarves sorta
    weeee!

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Definitely Tolkien's universe.

That's precisely why I dislike the "dwarves" from the Elder Scrolls universe, they (Bethesda) used that word for them explicitly because they are elves and not "traditional" dwarves. Why couldn't they just stick with dwemer?
    Elder Scrolls dwarves are basically traditional dwarves.

If you want to get technical, every mortal being in Elder Scrolls is an elf. Elf is common for the word mer. Mer means "us" or "one of us" Most elves only make the distinction between man and mer because they believe that only certain beings are descended from the Aedra. That is a false belief though, because everything in the universe that didn't come out of Padomay's blood is an Aedra.

So in that sense, everything from the Altmer, to the humans, to the dwarves, to the lowliest cockroach is an elf. The Ayleids just incorrectly applied their own term by labeling some races that they believed to be related to them mer, but not doing so for other races.

The truth though, is that all physical life on Nirn was born from Lorkhan's death, making them all Aedra. So really, it's just semantics.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    the dwarves in the book "dwarves" from Markuz Heinz are the best

Dragonlance, and Tolkien.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Elder Scrolls dwarves are basically traditional dwarves.

If you want to get technical, every mortal being in Elder Scrolls is an elf. Elf is common for the word mer. Mer means "us" or "one of us" Most elves only make the distinction between man and mer because they believe that only certain beings are descended from the Aedra. That is a false belief though, because everything in the universe that didn't come out of Padomay's blood is an Aedra.

So in that sense, everything from the Altmer, to the humans, to the dwarves, to the lowliest cockroach is an elf. The Ayleids just incorrectly applied their own term by labeling some races that they believed to be related to them mer, but not doing so for other races.

The truth though, is that all physical life on Nirn was born from Lorkhan's death, making them all Aedra. So really, it's just semantics.
    No religious discussions, please =P

Quote Originally Posted by Marimba View Post
    No religious discussions, please =P
    But their religion is wrong and I has proofs! *waves arms around* The almighty Bethesda has declared it so! (if a mod sees this out of context, yes I'm talking about a fictional religion, please don't smite me!)

Edit: Off to school, later forums!

They all seem the same to me..

Live in underground firey lava place, forge weapons, drink a lot, scottish accent. So, I guess I'll say LoTR since that's where it came from.

Tolkien's, of course.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Live in underground firey lava place, forge weapons, drink a lot, Irish accent.
    most dwarven cultures are Irish-like
    Ever seen a dwarf in a kilt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    most dwarven cultures are Irish-like
    Ever seen a dwarf in a kilt?
    Hobbits are Irish imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    Dragon Age!
    I was going to say that, but I feel the DA dwarves are exceptionally heavily inspired by Tolkien's dwarves. Down to old abandoned kingdoms, the whole "past glory" and "digging up some evil in the depths" lore. So Tolkien it is!

Actually, Yagram Bagarn was kind of a dick. I mean, I know he mentioned it "might" malfunction, but losing over 200 HP permanently? FUUUUUUUUU!!!
    Heh, a small price to pay for having that thing on BOTH of your hands =P

But their religion is wrong and I has proofs! *waves arms around* The almighty Bethesda has declared it so! (if a mod sees this out of context, yes I'm talking about a fictional religion, please don't smite me!)

Edit: Off to school, later forums!
    yeah they're all ehlnofey, but they went in different paths. the mer hate being tied down as mortal, men embrace it. they dont think men arent descended from the original spirits, they're just the most assimilated/weakest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Heh, a small price to pay for having that thing on BOTH of your hands =P
    Rule #1 of RPGs save often and on different file slots.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOTR bro. 10chars
    Howay the lads!